View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #38
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figure I'd use this topic to ask CP hardware experts (well, those who know the hardware far better than I do) as oppose to bumping old topics.

Background: I asked CP to help put together a gaming laptop last time and ended up getting a Sager. Never regretted the decision and am looking to get another Sager in the near future (the old one runs great but I figure I might look to build one instead of going with mostly default options in the customizing phase) to use for a long, long time (probably 6-10 year region).

Anyways:
- 15" vs 17"? I feel that 17" is starting into the range of "just buy a desktop"...and Sager makes that even worse by already making pretty bulky laptops.
- Is there an appreciable difference between the NVIDIA 970M and 980M graphics cards from personal experience? I find Sager tends to keep the components fairly cool but the reviews on 980M mention it sometimes does create problems for slim laptops (though Sager is anything but...)
- Similarly, is an i7-4790K worth the 50 dollar upgrade over an i7-4790? It seems like it would be given a nice performance boost but I wouldn't mind double checking my mental thoughts on all this.
- I'm hopelessly out of my league on the memory and hard drive reviews...anybody know the difference between these (besides the obvious more memory = better and multiple channels helps comments and that I should be using an SSD here)?:

Memory
Spoiler!

Hard Drive
Spoiler!

- Finally, given the kind of specs I'm looking at (given the above graphics card and processor I'm looking at), are there any obvious deficiencies or points where I'd lag behind?