View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #1013
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Since most of you have multiple watches, which watch do you recommend spending the most on? A diver? a classic design one? I assume you have your go-to watch when you want to impress or you feel your best in.
I'd suggest your end goal will probably change. I'd wager one month after obtaining your grail watch, you will discover a new grail watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This is great stuff fellas, thanks again. And thanks for putting up with my noob questions.

It sounds like a guy's end goal should be a Superocean, a Submariner or a Seamaster, but take a few baby steps along the way until you get there.

By the time one acquires his Superocean, Submariner, or Seamaster, he will have a few decent watches and learn a thing or two as well
My favourite watch is my SS Sub-date. By luck, it was my first high-end watch. Of the three you mention, I much prefer Rolex over Omega and Breitling. I find most watch guys have a clear preference. If you do take the baby step approach, you may find you too will have a clear preference which will emerge over time.

You may find your perspective changes after owning a few. I have a 40mm automatic Panerai (PAM48). At the time I didn't want to go any bigger, and generally preferred the automatic movements. In retrospect, I wish I would have picked up a larger (44-47mm) manual winding version. I find that the Panerais have much better proportions in the larger watches. I'll probably sell it at some point. I still not a huge fan of big watches overall, but Panerai does it well. I'd be happy with one big watch in my collection.

I do have a SS Daytona. Although I never wear it to impress, I'm glad if I am wearing it when I am in an international jewellery shop. I usually end up looking like a slob on vacation (unshaven, in cheap comfy clothes). The Daytona gets me instant respect in most stores. I wouldn't buy a watch for this purpose, and I do like the watch.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote