View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #51
firecenter
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This argument is driving me nuts. Me and my neighbor were having a discussion, his cousin works for a WHL team in BC. Personally, this lawsuit comes from the uneducated (about junior hockey), and will destroy hockey as we know it.

- All these articles reference revenue. Terrible way to come to the conclusion that these owners make money. Believe me, at best half do, and it isnt a lot. Costs per player per team are in the tens of thousands. Do the math, they won't be better off with a salary (tax, new costs to encure).

- The 4 WHL teams that have open books... PA lost like 200,000 last year, Lethbridge 400,000, Swift made money for the first time in a while i believe, and MJ made 200,000. Yah they are smaller markets, but they also run with fewer costs. Bigger markets do not mean better profit. Advertising, having worked for a paper in CGY, is grossly expensive, and i know the Hitmen do a lot of it. Higher arena costs in larger markets as well.

- This is amateur sports. The business is needed to support the athletes. Are downhill skiers employees? Without the owners, there is no Jr hockey, plain and simple. The costs are just too high

- The day this gets approved, bye bye CHL, bye bye Jr A. What are we left with?
firecenter is offline   Reply With Quote