View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #231
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Your points are generally accurate.

Turkey has mandatory military service (with some caveats) for males, so its army is usually strong.

The party in power has also tended to be more religious in nature, which drives people like my parents (in their late 60s/70s) nuts because they were brought up with strong secular values.

However, I'm quite certain that the party in power does not have the stomach for a cross-border fight based on religious preference. They're trying to advance that agenda internally through the political system, which is their right.

I think that these Middle Eastern countries do indeed need to be left alone to battle / figure this out. It's a shameful situation, but it is within their borders and sometimes you have to let the fire burn until it smothers out. Once they try to cross over borders to subjugate other people, then perhaps the Western countries will need to decide on a course of action.
Involvement by Turkey would be hugely problematic due to its relationship with the Kurds as well as its colonial past in the region.