View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #761
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I love extreme examples to prove points.

If Keenan Kanzig was drafted 6th overall by the Calgary Flames then he wouldn't have been off the board, he would have been 6th overall on their draft board.

Each teams personal draft lists are the only one that matter, not these imaginary ones fans focus on and sulk over when things don't go according to a fictional plan.
I agree that each teams lists are the only ones that matter, and that's how each team should draft prospects. That's the scouting staffs job. The front office's job is to determine the relative value of the prospect and determine "do I move up to get this guy, if I move down will he still be there." It's precisely why the team sitting with the 30th selection next year isn't going to be surprised when McDavid isn't there for them.

Why would the Flames have moved down in the draft to take Jankowski if they thought he was going to be the best player in the draft 10 years from now? Why didn't they move up in that instance? Seems to me that would have been the logical thing to do, if they felt as strongly as they did about Mark becoming the best player from it. It's all about value, and they felt strongly he'd be there for them later...how they determined that I am unsure of though since there is apparently no board.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote