View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #1520
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Thanks for the link, I'm really not sure what I was referring to then? I'm nervous in saying so, but I seem to recall reading that before Darryl Sutter there were very few scouts without much structure, but maybe it was actually about Feaster..?
Sutter still expanded the scouting department. It has kind of been a work in progress.

Sutter took over as GM. Slowly added scouts over the years (with turnover), kick-started the Heat.

Feaster took over and continued increasing the scouting department (with turnover).

This is why I am a bit hesitant about Burke - got rid of Weisbrod, which may be a positive/negative/neutral move, but Burke definitely has had some poor scouting departments under him. I am still rather optimistic as I haven't heard of other changes thus far, but I am sure there will be a couple of moves.

Don't most teams have some sort of a turnover in their scouting department on a yearly basis? There seems to be a group of more experienced scouts (usually guys with the titles, or longer-termed scouts that have longer associations with the GM's/directors of scouting), with some flux every season with other scouts.

Not sure who may be privy to the answer of this question - but how much input does Todd Button have with hiring scouting staff (or had under different GMs)? I would prefer that he have more control in his own department, as it seems to be a more stable position considering the number of years he has worked for the Flames. Just curious as to what input he has had with respect to the methodology in regards to scouting and identifying the specific traits that the Flames have been targeting that seemed to have started under the last couple of years of the Sutter tenure.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote