View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've stayed away from this one. I've caught a few bits of a few episodes and it's very difficult for me to suspend my disbelief.

Moffat is hit and miss for me. He's great at writing situational comedy and creating great characters (Coupling) but when giving iconic/larger than life everything is a bit too fairytale/television like and I can't suspend the logical portion of my brain because it's all so fake and contrived. It works for Doctor Who because it's basically fantasy but Sherlock is supposed to be grounded in logic and reason and modern day realism.

I watched the Sherlock episode about the secret Chinese sect/rituals and the teapot, etc. and made me really cringe at all the cultural malaise, clichés, anachronisms, bad accents, etc.

I feel that Sherlock is still best set in the 19th century which gives it enough historical distance that you are able to accept all the zaniness that goes on. I don't need references to Twitter and writer's misconceptions about how internet and technology, etc. work. It makes Sherlock unbelievable.
that episode was the 8th or 9th best one out of the 9 shows
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote