View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #814
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Well, my four-year old Onkyo died on me this weekend. It had been dying for a while, but I finally got fed up. It does annoy me that it didn't have a very long lifespan considering it was a $1,300 receiver. It's not an uncommon problem with Onkyos, apparently. Something to do with the input where you plug the HDMI cables into heating up then shutting off the receiver. It started by doing it occasionally, and this weekend it was doing it every five minutes. I cleaned it with compressed air, it was never in an enclosed cabinet, etc., but I guess it was just a POS.

So I upgraded to a Marantz SR7007, which has 125 watts per channel. Bought it at Future Shop and for the first time in my life I actually paid for an extended warranty (negotiated it into the price, plus a discount, so including the warranty I still paid under sticker price). Anyway, this thing f*&$ing pounds. I haven't even cranked it up full blast yet because my ears couldn't take it. I could literally feel the air pushing at me like mini air cannons pounding with the music. It's unreal. So far I'm really happy with it. I've also been able to tweak a bunch of the settings for movies to increase dialogue volume and fine tune sub adjustments for different scenarios. IDK, this thing is miles ahead of the Onkyo I had.

All that being said, I'm hesitant to just throw a $1,300 receiver into the recycling bin. Anybody know where I can take the Onkyo in for repair so I can hang onto it as a spare or sell it?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote