View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #49
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athntk View Post
Doesn't Abbotsford sort of prove your point wrong? It's 3 more hours on a plane.

A Calgary call up would be about 6.5 hours based on the fastest I could find tomorrow.

From Utica to Vancouver it's 8 hours flying + a 45 min drive to Syracuse the closest airport.

Alaska is used to flying and are fine with the extra costs. Not to mention not having to go through immigration.

Playing in the ECHL they just fly down to (LAX) then Bakersfield and take a bus over to Stockton.

As for Thunder Bay, that would be no different flying time than playing in Alaska.
It depends on how much you think the extra traveling and time-zones affect performance. If you think it is negligible, then there shouldn't be any problems with Alaska. I do think that over the course of a season, it becomes very taxing and puts your team at a huge disadvantage. I think playing in Abbotsford is already very difficult on the players - at least relatively to the other teams.

Having the ability to call up a player quickly is nice - but this needs to happen so few times in a season. It is the grind of playing through the season that matters most.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote