View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default SSD swap for dummies - help me, CP!

So, the scenario is that my existing SSD is fit to bursting. It's about two years old, Corsair Force Series 3 SataIII 60 GB. I had it, along with the whole desktop, assembled by Memory Express in January of 2012. To clarify, only my System drive, Windows, and associated programs I've installed is on the SSD. All of my media, documents, email folders, etc. are stored either on external hard drives or on my traditional hard drive.

In talking to Memory Express just now, they said they could install the new SSD and either clone the existing drive back onto it with an extended partition, or restore Windows onto the new drive from a system image backup. They would examine the system when I drop it off and decide on the best way forward from there.

Turnaround time for their tech department is 10-12 days.

Now, please bear in mind I *am not* savvy when it comes to assembling PCs or swapping hardware. The most I've ever done is taken the hard drive from old desktop and slaved it to my new one so I could move all my old data over. This was about 7-8 years ago.

How hard do you think it is for a person to swap out their existing SSD themselves? How long do you think it might take? What kind of steps or precautions are necessary? What kind of caveats do I need to be aware of if I intend to simply buy a new SSD and install it mysef?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote