View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #59
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
To those saying Backlund has done little to show he deserves to play on a line with skilled players, how have Colbourne and Stajan show they deserve to be centring the first or second line? The only centre with more points than Backlund is Monahan. Stajan despite getting loads of icetime on the first line including powerplay time has five points in ten games.
Can't really use the powerplay excuse when Backlund has gotten much more PP time than Stajan.

Besides, none of those centers haven't shown much in terms of offense this season. Stajan has at least shown that he's capable of playing on a line and being defensively responsible while not getting in the way of the offense created by his wingers, this season I've been much more concerned with Backlund's defense than offense. At his best Backlund is easily a top 9 forward, and we've seen that best under Hartley, however, he hasn't shown it this year.

I honestly don't even think Backlund and Stajan are comparable this year given their play. Stajan, while far from an ideal top 6 center, has deserved and earned his spot based on past and current play. Backlund was given a spot because there was no other option to start the season and only had his time reduced when they decided to give Colborne more ice time because they felt he was outplaying the other options including Backlund.

It would have been a different story if the younger and unknown Colborne was given a ton of ice-time to start but he was given under 10 minutes (in some cases under 5 minutes) while Backlund was getting 20 minutes a night. One player's lackluster play cost him ice-time and the other earned it. Hardly unfair, especially when Colborne does get his minutes reduced when he has a bad stretch.

I've been vocal against Hartley's decisions, especially with regards to the younger players, but this is one case I'm completely on board with the decision. Backlund was put in a position to succeed to start the season, it didn't work. Tough luck if he has to earn his ice time now.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.