View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #667
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I believe I read most of this thread, but haven't seen any posts talking about the 'Don Cherry Incident'.

He tried to get Don Cherry fired because Cherry criticized the Leafs. I am no Don Cherry supporter - Cherry makes great points at times, and just completely idiotic ones as well - but that was a very classless move by Burke to try and get him fired, and in my mind, speaks to Burke's character fairly well. Some people might disagree, but I just found that to be just a horrible way to conduct himself.
While you're entitled to the concerns you have, as some of them are valid, the reason the above hasn't been mentioned is because it isn't true.
Cherry made it up.

Both Burke and the CBC denied Burke ever having mentioned anything like that, in fact, the situation went like this:
Meeting between CBC and NHL BoG. Things got heated because the NHL felt that the CBC was focussing too much on Toronto and being overly critical of Toronto while other Canadian teams were ignored (the NHL has a right to bring this forward, since they award the television contracts and have a say in the content of said broadcasts). As well, Burke specifically was upset that Cherry was personally attacking Wilson, and not talking about hockey during HNIC. In fact, Burke was quoted as saying "I don't want the guy fired" (in reference to Cherry, after stating changes should be made).

So, yeah. That's why it wasn't mentioned. And it speaks more to Cherry's character, as he wasn't even involved in the meeting where this supposedly took place, and did not hear Burke say anything of the sort.

It also speaks to Cherry's character that he trashed Wilson continuously and then the moment Burke fires him? Trashes Burke for firing him. Cherry is a loser.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post: