View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1023
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
I wonder if there are varying degrees of being bit, I just wonder.
I know you were a little tongue in cheek with this, but I'm going to provide a serious answer anyways.

There's different grades/degrees/levels of measured dog bites but no real universal standard. Most are measured by the number of puncture wounds and the severity (or how deep) those puncture wounds are. With that measure and an overall behavior assessment of the dog the authorities are able to measure how dangerous the animal is, and if it has the necessary bite-inhibition that dogs integrated into a human society should have.

So for example, a bite with no puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth usually indicates the bite was more of a defense mechanism by the dog and after biting, the dog released immediately.

Where as if there's at least one puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth and deep bruising around the wound, that usually indicates the dog had a serious intent to injure whatever it was attacking and that the dog clamped down and held on when biting. This scenario usually results in the dog being put down as even if the dog is deemed non aggressive in the behavioral assessment, little to no bite-inhibition means the dog is too unpredictable regardless of the owner.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post: