View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

TD uses some real sketchy policy wordings in some cases with their Gold, Silver and Bronze home wordings. You can get talked into a lower premium with coverage that is carved out to not give you full coverage in some of the most crucial areas such as wind, hail, internal water to name a few. I think their Bronze package is one of the worst wordings I have ever seen. If you are dealing with them stick to the Gold wording.

As for others, try to get a policy that hasn't increased the deductible for hail/water to $2,500 or $1,500 yet as many companies are quickly/quietly throwing in these new caps/restrictions and higher deductibles. When you are protecting your biggest asset, in many cases, you want full comprehensive, guaranteed replacement cost, coverage with a normal deductible amount and full coverage for the three biggest risks you face : Hail/Water/Fire. Shop around and get the best wording and realize that this is likely one area in the insurance world that you will likely want/need professional advice. Also having $2,000,000 liability on your policy should be an automatic and if you don't have it you are putting yourself at risk for $20/$30 per year.

The general insurance industry in Canada has had four consecutive years of billion dollar payouts from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. There will likely be another round of hail/wind this summer but this time many companies are in a position to reduce their exposure to these risks and almost certain claims payout events that come from operating in Southern Alberta. One thing I am surprised by is that companies haven't retreated from this market as if you take Intact as an example they last year paid out $3 Billion in claims much of it coming from losses in Alberta. There is clearly lots of variance in the policy wordings and this is where you need to start.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote