View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #116
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There is no inferiority complex in Calgary. A franchise that iced one of the all-time greatest teams in the history of the NHL with the 1989 Calgary Flames that was incredibly talented and overshadowed by only the Oilers. We went from being spoiled to being envious of the rest of the league but I don't think anyone here is slighting Iginla. We all know that he was amongst the best NHL players of the last decade but we are talking about a player that never topped 100 points, 90 points only twice, and has way too many 60 point seasons in his prime for me to consider him against the best players ever. I still think Fleury was the most talented Flames player ever and put Iginla more in line with a guy like Brendan Shanahan who was a great player but will never be in my mind one of the truly greats. What can I say. I watched the team throughout the 80's so I am spoiled by some of the great players this franchise and I can assure you I have absolutely no inferiority complex that is for sure.

By pure stats the only thing that makes Gordie Howe stand out was years played.

100+ pts once in the NHL and that year he finished 3rd in scoring and 5th in goal scoring..... only more than 90 pts in 3 seasons out of 26 NHL seasons.

40+ goals 5 times.

Iginla scored 40+ goals 4 times against players that he was not 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. The guys checking Iginla did not have a smoke in between periods.

And no I am not arguing that Gordie Howe is not the best RW ever and in the top 5 of all time. Just he brought more to the game than numbers , just as Iginla has.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote