View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #115
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Iginla will never get the credit he deserves, a) because of his lack of championships, and b) because he spent most of his career with the Flames.

Even if he wins the cup with Pittsburgh the argument will be that he just rode the coattails of the Pens superstars.

There was a period of time Iginla was the best player in the world. I'm not sure when the next Calgary Flames player will be able to hold that title, could be a very very long time before we see it again.

I still feel there is an inferiority complex in Calgary that keeps people second guessing how good things were with Iginla, but there will come a time that people will reminisce about #12 and how amazing he was for this team.

But I guess when you're a fan of an organization that, let's face it, has been a losing organization since 1989, you tend to let the dark cloud of failure taint your entire perspective on the organization and the players in it.
There is no inferiority complex in Calgary. A franchise that iced one of the all-time greatest teams in the history of the NHL with the 1989 Calgary Flames that was incredibly talented and overshadowed by only the Oilers. We went from being spoiled to being envious of the rest of the league but I don't think anyone here is slighting Iginla. We all know that he was amongst the best NHL players of the last decade but we are talking about a player that never topped 100 points, 90 points only twice, and has way too many 60 point seasons in his prime for me to consider him against the best players ever. I still think Fleury was the most talented Flames player ever and put Iginla more in line with a guy like Brendan Shanahan who was a great player but will never be in my mind one of the truly greats. What can I say. I watched the team throughout the 80's so I am spoiled by some of the great players this franchise and I can assure you I have absolutely no inferiority complex that is for sure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: