View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Slow Internet - Router/Modem problems?

Not much of a internet/computer expert... Signed up for 10mbps internet through shaw a couple months ago and things are going much slower than I was expecting. For example, nhl gamecentre generally can't stream on any video quality higher than the lowest one, and often has to buffer for 30 seconds at a time even then. The network status often seems to need to buffer when playing online poker as well (resulting in unwanted folded hands quite a bit). Signal strength generally seems to be very strong, and I have gone on speedtest.net and my download speed usually does indeed turn out to be 10mbps. I just tested this three times and got results of 3.5 mpbs, 22 mbps, and 9 mbps for download speeds.

Is it possible that my router/modem (don't know the difference between them) is the problem? I currently just have tge free one that Shaw gave us... Cisco DPC3825, and have been thinking about buying another, hoping that would solve the problem... but i don't actually know anything about these things? Or maybe should i upgrade to 20mbps internet speed from Shaw? Any other troubleshooting techniques i should try?
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote