View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
How involved has the city been with car2go and has the success impacted future transit strategy at all? Was anyone at city hall suprised by how readily Calgary embraced the concept?
The City's Transportation Planning department as well as the Calgary Parking Authority worked with Car2Go when they approached the City in late 2011.

I don't think Car2Go specifically has affected transit strategy (RouteAhead - the 30 year plan for Calgary Transit is being finalized right now). I think Car-shares are a logical part of the transportation mix in a city like Calgary. It helps reduce the need to own a car, or own 2 or more cars in this city. If one does not need to own a car, they then can use transit for certain trips and car-share for others. I see them as complementary.

Personally, I'm not surprised by its success at all - I've seen various car-sharing services grow dramatically in other cities - their very flexible model seems to work well for Calgary. I only wish they had a little more variety of vehicles for say going to the hardware store. Another good choice for carshare is Calgary Carshare.

Last edited by Bunk; 01-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote