View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1115
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Anyone know if anything is happening with the SE Transitway? The BRT and SE Express busses are now consistently held up in a massive amount of traffic on single lane roads through Ogden and Douglasglenn. I vehemently argued against moving the express buses to Ogden road from Deerfoot and CT's response was always the new route provided more consistent timing. The 151 is now consistently 15 - 20 mins later than scheduled.

It takes less time to take the Copperfield bus to Sommerset than the Copperfield bus to the BRT. The Express bus takes over an hour because it dicks around in communities like douglas glenn and quarry park whom already are serviced by the BRT and local expresses.

I am not sure CT is aware of what the R in BRT means or the definition of Express.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
^ I am not sure you're aware that there are places where you could live that are closer to the core than Copperfield.
I think SebC is being a bit dickish in his response, but the message is based in truth. Now, although I try to keep it out of this thread for the most part, I too share a lot of contempt for Douglasdale, Mackenzie Towne and points south (and east). The contempt and general disdain grows the further south and east you go. Just to get it out in the open, I'm of the opinion that the developments that have occured in this area from the 80s up until now (and ongoing) ought to have never ocurred.

That aside and (grudgingly) accepting that we're left with this mess and that people currently live there, those people (and everyone else) should be aware that these areas are inherently difficult to serve by transit and furthermore require higher-than-otherwise-normal investment in infrastsructure to serve effectively with other modes of transportation too. The basic fact is that these areas are separated from the rest of the city (let alone downtown) by a huge freeway. And a river. And miles upon miles of expansive (not to mention poorly laid out and unattractive) industrial parks. You can't check off all three of those for any other area of the city.

Poor (comparatively) transit service is an inherent trait of living in that area. In turn, better or good transit service comes at an inherently higher cost to implement.

I just think that people have to be realistic about expectations here. Having a freeway (that up to this point, is the only high volume route into and out of the area) that can be wildly unreliable for travel time consistency and a couple or three circuituous low-capacity-slightly-more-reliable-and-work-in-progress "alternate" routes is just the situation right now, and it's lucky that this hard-and-expensive-to-connect area has that much going for it.

Anyway, the original question was about the SE Transitway. It (along with 50 new LRVs and the rest of the Green TRIP package) is awaiting the funding to be handed down from the Province.

I know I've kind of belaboured this post, but I want to make it clear that I absolutely want to see transit improved in the city with the southeast LRT catchment area included. I try to keep that principle separated a bit from most of what I just talked about above, so I'm with you Mackenzie Towners on that.

Last edited by frinkprof; 06-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post: