View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #251
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Ok, guys, this might seem strange, but can someone explain to me the hype behind D3? I understand the previous two are super popular, but I can't figure out why. I played D2 some, but never got into it, since I was way too busy playing Baldur's Gate around that time.

So what's the deal?
Here is my perspective of the series...

D1 was all about the exploration of this spooky new world, both above and below ground. Puzzles to solve, quests to complete, and all the while gaining better and better equipment to move forward.

And then came the Butcher.

Scared the living crap out of me, and might well be the lynchpin as to the ultimate success of the Diablo franchise. I was totally hooked after encountering him.

D2 launched OK, but wasn't as sinister as D1. The expansion pack took everything to new heights though, albeit in a different direction. Gameplay was significantly enhanced by the sheer amount of different ways you could customize your character, collect items that could be combined, and the insanely huge amount of different variations of virtually every item in the game (found or crafted).

Personally I went almost solo (leveling was easier with more players) right up the the max level of 99. Extremely tough to do.

I built up a character that was a wrecking crane of magic find awesomeness!

But then came D2 version 1.10, which was a long awaited update.

Blizzard "balanced" the game, which was a nice way to say they F'd me out of three years of work on my character. What she could previously do solo, now was a suicide mission. Ditto my other NON magic find characters. Blizzard essentially made partying with other people the only way to play the game successfully. (at least that is what I ascertained)

Within a few months I was no longer playing it... and at that time, if you didn't log into your account within a certain time your account was deleted. I walked away from it all.

So now D3...

Unlike in D2 where the max level of the baddest boss is 85 (and you are potentially 99), YOU have a max level of 60, and in the last tier the bad guys are ALL at least 61... There is definitely a challenge leap there.

A downside at this point is that many of the intended features for launch (in the Beta) have been pulled back and/or dumbed down. But like D2, these items might very well find themselves coming into the first expansion pack, in a better configuration.

Visually it looks a bit too cartoonish for me at this point (but as I have yet to play the Beta, that is only my perspective from YouTube videos.)

Ultimately, the gameplay is to kill virtually everything you see, collect the loot, complete tasks, and try to find those rare brief moments when you can swig from your beer.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post: