View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I agree with you and likely wasn't making myself very clear.

The currency is that weed is an easy cash crop to fund your other ventures. It's a tap that never turns off. Often, as you mention, it's far easier to muscle your way into an existing operation than start one from the ground up. There is inherent violence involved in this.

Obviously the money is in high level trafficking (hard drugs, sex, people), but you get the currency to buy into and finance things through the marijuana trade and the associated bribery, extortion, racketeering, embezzlement etc that go along with it.

The whole point is that weed isn't something that should be a cash crop for precisely the reason you state. The only thing making it profitable is it's illegality.

Even if what you are saying is true, that won't result in a decrease in violence. If you legalized marijuana, that's not really going to affect gun violence, which is over the harder and more profitable drugs.

Personally, I don't think legalizing marijuana will make that large of a difference. The cops really don't divert that many resources to marijuana growing in BC. You can pretty much buy it freely already. The full legalization of marijuana sales would be more of a cultural shift/recognition issue than anything. It'd be really just a symbolic move.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote