View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality View Post
Maybe I watch too many realtor shows, but it seems consistently that these buyers realtors are still trying to sell the house to their client as opposed to critically supporting the buyer.

What I mean by that is the realtor trying to overcome objections the buyer might have and esentially convincing the buyer to purchase. I have seem some cringe worthy moments where I felt the buying realtor was really in "sell mode".

Is it the job of the buyers realtor to showcase all the highlites and down play the obstacles? I think its a conflict of interest really.
I'd say that's a pretty quick sign of a bad Realtor.

It's an important part of my job to point out negatives to buyers that they may not have thought about, not downplay them.

Most buyers are quite savvy about what they're looking at these days, but there's still usually things I can pick up on that they don't, and my buyers are thankful for me pointing those things out. That's the whole point of having experience.

For example I had a buyer go into a new townhouse in Vancouver a couple weeks ago during an open house. She really liked it and wanted me to come back with her the next day, see it and present an offer. Sounds like an easy pay day based on these TV shows.

I went in & found a lot of small issues with the workmanship. Things like bad tiling, uneven areas where different types of flooring meet, wavy undersides on the roofing etc. All things she had not noticed.

I mentioned that if we're seeing so many of these small issues and corners cut on a brand new place, who knows what issues could come up from the building envelope & foundation at later dates.

Despite the ease in which I could have made a quick sale and pay cheque, there's no way I would recommend a buyer to purchase like that. We kept looking and found a better place about a week later.

In the end she's very happy, I can honestly say I helped her without personal greed getting in the way & in the long term I'm sure it will lead to referrals/repeat business from her.
Any good Realtor will tell you that's the name of the game, not just 1 deal. Your reputation is everything, and you can lose it fast if you dupe your clients for a quick buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: