Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #65
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Just thought I'd bump this thread.... I had my ACL reconstructed and my lateral meniscus "shaved" in my left knee almost 6 months ago to the day.

The first couple of days afterwards were not a very good time, and the first shower was a little humiliating, but otherwise recovery was more just a PIA.

I ran my first 10km race today and finished with a pretty good time. I'm limping a little now but I believe that's more the meniscus swelling than anything.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and to anyone having the surgery, don't worry, it's not the end of the world, you can get back to where you were prior to the surgery with a little effort/determination.
Good on ya, I couldn't do that with a normal ACL.

Mine is still torn and I have put off surgery for now, mainly because my quality of life hasn't changed and I didn't want to be laid up for the summer...gonna try and time the time off work with the brutal winter.

An interesting bit the surgeon told me in the consult was that the 4 month point is the most critical. Mainly because the cell regeneration where the ligament is fusing with the bone (or something like that) is at its weakest, but also your confidence is at its highest because you are regaining your muscle strength, so people push it and re-injure the knee. Any experience with that?

How long until you could at least move around on crutches? I have heard people say they couldn't walk for three weeks, but I don't know if that was with or without crutches.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote