View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
If you're limited by space but you have at least a 450W power supply and the optional 6pin PCI-E connector, you can try the XFX ATI HD5770 single slot card for around $120-$150 I think... You can get much better cards, depends on what you're playing. HD5770 will handle most games and it was at the price/performance sweetpoint along with the HD5850 (~$200) a few months back. This is enough to run civ5/SCII at full resolution with no hiccups on my PC.

Anyways with NVIDIA cards they tend to run hotter and have higher power requirements. At the mid level their cards weren't worth it because they didn't perform as well for their price, but higher end was a diff story. This might have changed in the last 3 months since I bought my card.
That won't help him as the studio slim can't even take normal sized cards. He needs a low profile card.

Which studio slim do you have? There are a few studio slims that are more normal sized but most need a low profile card. This is further complicated by the fact that low profile card choices are already very slim pickings but he also needs one with a low profile bracket! Now those are even harder to come by with any decent performance.

You also need to figure out what wattage your powersupply is as some slims only have a 250W PSU.

Futhermore, even a decently performing low profile, low profile bracket videocard is going to be terrible value compared to what you could get in a regular desktop card at the same price.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-364-_-Product

or this

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-177-_-Product

Make sure it says "low profile bracket included" in the details.

The Zotac needs a 300watt powersupply. The Asus card is an ATI card and probably requires less power but don't quote me on that. The Asus card's low profile bracket is actually two brackets high to accomodate the VGA port so make sure it fits in your case according to where the PCI-E slot is.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: