View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I recently cleaned out my fans on my Macbook Pro - took me 20 minutes. 15 of that was me freaking out because the bloody thing wouldn't start. Once I figured out I had left residue over the CPU fan sensor and wiped it off, the thing started up just fine (and now runs 10 degrees cooler without all that crap in the fan vent).

On topic: Check for HP firmware updates. My experience with HP laptops is that they tend to have weird issues where their fans either run all the time or the computer never goes to sleep (Vista + firmware issue). Both situations will lead to premature wear on either the fans or the harddrive (in my case, it was the HDD... stupid HP).
How long can I leave my fan going like that? I'm just worried it will burn out and wreak something else in the process. Or do I have some time before anything would be harmed if the fan completely shut off?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote