View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If that fan is making that constant clicking racket, then it is defective. I usually lubricate my fans by removing a circular disc on top of the fan and I put in some sewing machine oil. You have to be careful what kind of oil you use. WD 40 may turn black and gum up over time due to heat. It's also a petroleum product so it will dissolve rubber. Grapphite Lube, Lithium Lube, or Silicone Oil may work better but I can't speak for the longevity of these...Definitely do not use paper shredder oil, I that will gum up a fan because the heat will turn it into glue... but if it is making that noise, I think it is beyond help and sadly you have another defective fan on your hands.

Even at full RPMs, it should be making a whirring/whoosing noise at worst and not clickityclackity. Do you know if it's a fluid or sleeve bearing fan? If it's a sleeve bearing, the sleeve may be damaged and something is making a friction related noise every time the fan makes one revolution. If you do want to try lubrication, lubricant goes in the middle where the hole is and not on the outside or the electromagnet coils unless you can see some damage along the outside (like a loose wire on a coil) that is hitting the side of the fan hub. Check to make sure the interior of the plastic fan hub is clean and clear of debris or any signs of scratches from friction. Check the center shaft to see if it's smooth too or there is nothing in the fan. Blow it out with compressed air. Lube the bearing. Since you have two fans, try swapping rotor hubs and bases.

Where did you buy the "new" fan? Are you sure it is new? Can you get it exchanged or returned? Is it from HP or Ebay? Do you know if it might possibly be used? When you reinstalled the fan/heatsink assembly, did you properly apply TIM? (Thermal interface material, commonly known as thermal paste). If you used generic white silicone stuff, it might be worth it to invest in some higher quality thermal paste as it will help conduct heat better. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/...shootout_q209/ Don't use too much however, too much can actually insulate.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-03-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: