View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Calgary would get an MLB team before they get an NBA team...that is to say...never ever ever.

if you did a poll of most popular sports in Calgary basketball would probably rank somewhere between Turkish Oil Wrestling and Jai Alai.
It seems a good number of the youth generation in this city likes basketball. Especially the minority population. However probably not enough interest from corporate support and those that would pay the season tickets to allow the team to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Toronto a few years ago could barely support an NBA franchise. Without the emergence of Bosh, Raptors would be extinct.
That's with lots of teams for any league. Some cities can handle mediocracy for a long period of time because the support is very hardcore and dedicated. But many cities in all of the big leagues except for NFL would be having the same issue Raptors would have without Bosh.

That's a large reason Grizzlies failed in Vancouver. Bad team management lead to fans not wanting to invest into the product. If they had a roadmap to competitiveness and make the playoff at least once, they could possibly be still there. People want to pay for winners resulting in a good product.

The NBA product itself though isn't great right now which is why I only watch Raptors and other NBA games sparingly. The whole fiasco of the last five minutes taking a half hour to finish is a great turnoff for me. I don't want to see five million timeouts and free throws, causing it for each score to occur in two minute intervals.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote