Thread: Climategate
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #78
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I suppose whats happening in the arctic is a normal pattern. The north atlantic water that flows into the arctic has risen 3.5 degree F in the last 10 years. the whole eco system is changing before our eyes.

Is Greenland's massive ice sheet supposed to melt 10 fold in the last 5 years? for the first time in recorded history scientists have found subtropical water underneath that ice. 5 years ago scientists predicted Greenlands melting would raise the ocean 20 inches in 1000 years, this May that prediction went from 1000 years to less then 100 years. Maybe by this May it'll be 10 years.

Since your in the know about air temps, how about give us a breakdown on global temperatures. For instance theres a country in Africa that the average temperature actually 4 degrees cooler now than 30 years ago, they blame it on the demise of Lake Chad(once a top 10 largest lake in the world..now a pond), other countrys in Africa are starting a cooling trend due to lakes shrinking, Lake Victoria has lost 5 feet of water in 4 years.

When I was kid where I grew up we had snow on the ground for 3-4 months a year,almost never left, nowdays it's getting close for the need of a lawnmover.

Maybe it's a global "shift" in temperatures? either way it's very bad.
Another example in Africa is that Mt. Kilimanjaro is predicted to have no glaciation atop its peaks in another 20 years or less.

The issue, as others have begun to point out, is that small changes or influences in climate have big consequences because of the feedback loops that exist. In the Mt. Kilimanjaro example, as the glacier begins to lose surface area, more ground is exposed to solar radiation, raising ground temperatures, which leads to even more rapid glacier retreat, exposing more ground again.