PDA

View Full Version : 'The Walking Dead- TV show ONLY! Only spoilers allowed are about PAST TV episodes!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

dissentowner
10-21-2010, 12:20 PM
A new series on AMC that revolves around people surviving a zombie appocalypse debuts at 10pm est on October 31st. I am really looking forward to this show, gotta love zombies!

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

FlameOn
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
It's already out on the internetz if you want an advance screening

Coys1882
10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Fantastic comic too!!

Bertuzzied
10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
2nd best comic published right now. Can't wait for this.

Coys1882
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
2nd best comic published right now. Can't wait for this.oooh - i'm interested to hear your #1

Bertuzzied
10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
oooh - i'm interested to hear your #1

Fables! Nothing even comes close to it.

East Coast Flame
10-21-2010, 01:47 PM
zombies aren't usually my thing, neither are comics for that matter, but considering it's amc I will at least give it a shot

Crazy Bacon Legs
10-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm so jazzed for this series.

I always thought a zombie apocalypse scenario would be perfect for a TV series - my thinking was something along the lines of World War Z but serialized. Movies about such things are too rushed, don't get into character development, etc. The most interesting thing about zombies is not the zombies themselves, but how people react to the end of society and the constant threat of a nameless, inhuman threat.

I haven't read all of The Walking Dead, but boy was I happy that this was the property they decided to translate to the small screen. I have definitely enjoyed the comics I have read, and I was overjoyed that AMC is doing this, as I would only really trust them or HBO to do it justice. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I found out it wasn't going to be ruined by CBS, ABC, NBC or FOX.

Halloween can't come soon enough!

Hemi-Cuda
10-21-2010, 02:09 PM
will this be broadcast in Canada in HD? or will i have to resort to torrents?

Bertuzzied
10-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Well shaw has AMC in it's HD lineup but this is the crappy station that stretches all their movies making them look like crap.

Crazy Bacon Legs
10-21-2010, 02:34 PM

I set my PVR already, and it is being broadcast on AMC HD on October 31.

I assume (and hope) that this means it will be in HD.

Off The Crossbar
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I have seen a lot of ads for this show while watching fear fest on amc. Gotta love all the old halloween movies from the 80s. It looks like it will be a pretty solid show. Just wondering how long they can make it last. A couple of seasons?

iggypop
10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
A little off topic, but does anyone have much info on AMC in general. The channel seemed to go from merely playing old crappy moves to having 65 emmy nominations (19 wins) since 2007, almost at the flick of a switch.

It just astounds me how the channel was able to turn around it, and be so successful so quickly.

How were they able to do it? Did they just luck out with Mad Men and Breaking Bad? Seems like more than just luck.

18flames
10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this

VANFLAMESFAN
10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not a big zombie guy either and at first glance, the first promo felt a lot like 28 Days Later to me. But given that it's AMC, I will definitely be watching this.

AMC is 3 for 3 for awesome TV shows. Mad Men and Breaking Bad are obviously top notch, but even Rubicon which started slow turned out to be a must watch for me. I think if AMC was broadcasting a show on shoe laces, I would have to give it a shot. AMC is awesome and is in HD on Shaw for the person asking above.

Looking forward to Halloween for sure.

KTrain
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. Everything I've watched says they're being pretty faithful to the comics but will be expanding on the stories and going places the comics didn't. If you're too lazy to click the link here's a decent trailer to give you an idea of what it's about.

EDN1g1BrQH0

Boblobla
10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
So pumped for this series.

Redliner
10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Seriously can't wait for this. Apparently the first "season" is 6 episodes. There were rumours thrown around by director Frank Darabont that a second season had been picked up, but AMC has not confirmed this yet.

To be honest I couldn't care less about the comics - but the show looks like it's going to rock.

Hanni
10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Interesting, I never thought of using a horse in my zombiepocalypse plan.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-21-2010, 10:29 PM
A little off topic, but does anyone have much info on AMC in general. The channel seemed to go from merely playing old crappy moves to having 65 emmy nominations (19 wins) since 2007, almost at the flick of a switch.

It just astounds me how the channel was able to turn around it, and be so successful so quickly.

How were they able to do it? Did they just luck out with Mad Men and Breaking Bad? Seems like more than just luck.

AMC has been around for like 20 years. Only within the last few in Canada and yeah, it used to be a classic movie channel only, but they switched formats a couple times, sunk money into making these new shows and yeah, they hit it big with Mad Men, then Breaking Bad. Not sure how their ad revenue is doing, but they've got a lot of good publicity for their amazing original series. The Emmy Awards AMC just got speak for themselves.

jeremywilhelm
10-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Watching it right now. Pretty intense show. Zombies are done really well.

FlameOn
10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Are they classical zombies or the new 28-day's later-esque runner zombies?

3 Justin 3
10-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Are they classical zombies or the new 28-day's later-esque runner zombies?

Look at the pictures (previews) for the show, you'll get a good idea for the look. They aren't Dawn of the Dead zombies (the original) that's for sure. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know their mannerisms, but they look badass. I think I saw one clip and they look to be "normal" zombies, like not super rabid crazy mofo's, more lax/slow zombies.

jeremywilhelm
10-21-2010, 11:14 PM
He shouldn't ride his horse on the highway. It's really bad for it's hooves.

T@T
10-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I expected to see a pic of an AMC Gremlin on stilts when I open this thread....and don't laugh, I owned one for about a month. :eek:

dissentowner
10-21-2010, 11:17 PM
AMC keeps playing a commercial for the show Parenthood on CityTV and I swear to god Ryan Smyth is on there.

jeremywilhelm
10-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow. Great show so far. The end of the first episode is pretty dire. I'm hooked.

Bertuzzied
10-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Watching it right now. Pretty intense show. Zombies are done really well.

Jokinen is going to report you to the police for illegal downloading.

3 Justin 3
10-23-2010, 02:18 AM
The zombies aren't done really well, they are simply amazing. For a tv series, the production value is just through the roof.

Sadly the first season is only 6 seasons, but the good news is the 2nd season will be 13 episodes.

I can already tell after one episode this will be one of my favorite television series' of all time.

Roast Beef
10-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Fantastic pilot episode. I hope they can keep up the production values throughout the rest of the series.

metallicat
10-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I don't even like zombie movies or TV shows, and I'm excited to watch this based on the trailer, and the other shows that AMC runs.

Kswiss
10-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Just watched this on AMC tonight. It is a little slow right now but the ending actually made me want to see the next episode! I also just saw 28 days later for the first time and definitely very similiar...

3 Justin 3
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Having read the comic, the show is pretty similar but pretty different as well. We'll see where they go with it. Right now I am totally hooked on the show.

Igottago
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I was very impressed by this premiere. The pacing and overall tone were excellent. Its so easy to get into cheese territory with this type of setting and story, but they seem to be trying to make it "realistic" instead of an over the top gory zombie action cliche. I really liked it. I thought the part where he wakes up in the hospital was brilliant.

3 Justin 3
10-31-2010, 10:10 PM
The exact same premise in 28 days later. Can they get sued for that?

The episode was pretty good, buddy's wife looked more like a crackhead than a zombie, maybe she is just out on a binge and thats why he can't kill her.

I am not sure when 28 days later came out, but the comics have been out for years now, so they aren't ripping them off. (as to my knowledge)

Igottago
10-31-2010, 10:15 PM

The episode was pretty good, buddy's wife looked more like a crackhead than a zombie, maybe she is just out on a binge and thats why he can't kill her.

Yeah, but still very well done I thought. Felt more like a good movie than a tv show. I think a lot of themes and ideas in "genre" based shows/movies like this tend to cross over into eachother. As long as they can keep the show somewhat atmospheric and intense, I'll watch it.

Hopefully it doesn't do what 28 Days Later did and turn into "Commando" or some cheesy action flick at some point...hated the end of that movie.

3 Justin 3
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
If they are going off the comic we should *spoiler* see his son next episode.

LGA
10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought the premiere was fantastic. Not too many premiere's make me wish that they would release all the episodes at once. If this keeps up I'm going to be watching the entire series in one sitting once they come out on DVD.

MrMastodonFarm
10-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Just logged in to see if there was a thread about this. Had someone mention this to me today so I set the PVR, a bit into the first episode, and enjoying it so far.

When did AMC become so good, crazy how fast they went from old movie channel to an HBO/Showtime rival.

Hemi-Cuda
10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
If they are going off the comic we should *spoiler* see his son next episode.

we saw his son already didn't we? he and his mom were shacked up with the main guy's best friend, according to the picture he looked at right after the campground scene

Igottago
10-31-2010, 11:05 PM
we saw his son already didn't we? he and his mom were shacked up with the main guy's best friend, according to the picture he looked at right after the campground scene

I must've missed that too. I didn't realize that was main guys (whats his name again) wife and son. Wow. Now that you mention it that whole interaction between them makes more sense.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-01-2010, 02:06 AM
I must've missed that too. I didn't realize that was main guys (whats his name again) wife and son. Wow. Now that you mention it that whole interaction between them makes more sense.

After the scene in the campground, it goes back to Rick and he's looking at a picture of his family and it was the same woman and kid as the scene previous.

Really enjoyed the premiere. When he was under the tank, that was pretty intense.

Can't wait till next week.

3 Justin 3
11-01-2010, 02:31 AM

I am pretty sure that boy was his son (I can't remember pictures). What I mean is that Rick will meet his son next episode. In the comic he meets his son right after the tank, how ever in the comic he doesn't go in the tank, someone else comes to rescue him.

To Be Quite Honest
11-01-2010, 02:53 AM
First off Horror scares the pants off of me.

The show scared the pants off of me and blew my socks off. This is a the perfect dramatic humanistic tragity that "studies" the interactions of mankind in a fictional world. OMFG I loved the premire and I, again, am terrified of horror. This show is filled with tragedy and human emotion.

Opening scene a child's head is blown off! Why The Face!

I am looking forward to this whole series.

Lets talk about The Walking Dead!

dissentowner
11-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Was really impressed with the premiere, can't wait for the next episode!

J pold
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Watched it last night after seeing so many ads for it while watching crappy old horror movies on AMC over the last month. I found the premier to be very meh, the production and visuals where great but the acting, and writing I found very weak. The main guy really didn't seemed to be to bothered after waking up in a post apocalyptic world that has been over run by zombies. I found it strange that he didn't ask one question as to how, why, or when any of this happened. The camp scene was down right awful, the exchange between his wife and partner was just terribly acted, it reminded me of some of the acting from those old horror movies that I'd watched. I nearly burst out laughing.

All and all I don't think I'll be spending anymore time with this series.

Flabbibulin
11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Does there need to be spoilers in this thread? I'm guessing most of us haven't read the comic series. Would like to frequent this thread, but not if spoilers are posted.

HalifaxDrunk
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I really liked it, something different on TV. Yes, Zombie moves can be found by the dozens but a well done zombie show is welcome by me.

zztim81
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Liked the premier, and think its going to be a good show, i too hope the acting gets a bit better but the thing that really pisses me off is come on! its the freakin Zombie apocolypse, take more than one dinky little Jerry can of gas with you when you leave...

Poison
11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Gah i missed this yesterday! Any idea if theyll be replaying it this week?

getbak
11-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Gah i missed this yesterday! Any idea if theyll be replaying it this week?
Looks like it'll be on again Friday night at 8 and Friday and Saturday nights at midnight.

http://blogs.amctv.com/search/?t=SCHEDULE&btnSubmit.x=0&btnSubmit.y=0&q=the+walking+dead

3 Justin 3
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
People think this has bad acting and bad writing? Wow...just...wow.

RW99
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I quite liked it. The half zombie lady was my favorite part.

HPLovecraft
11-01-2010, 12:17 PM

28 Days Later stole its whole premise from the book "Day of the Triffids." In it, the protagonist wakes up in a hospital after having his eyes worked on. He had them bandaged during a meteor shower everyone seen and went blind from. So everyone's walking around all zombie-like in the hospital and outside because they can't see. He goes outside and London is completely empty, etc., etc., and it ends with the authour exploring how human society would react to such a catastrophe, just like 28 Days Later.

If anything, 28 Days Later should be sued for ripping off a classic sci-fi novel! The writer of 28DL even admits to being "inspired" by DotT. If they can do it, it's free game for The Walking Dead, IMO.

octothorp
11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I thought the writing and character development was sort of spotty, not as good as some AMC programs, but still better than 90% of the TV shows out there (and 99% of zombie movies). In particular, the misogynistic partner hooking up with his wife seemed sort of hackneyed, but on the other hand the father/son/zombie wife part was extremely well-done.

To Be Quite Honest
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
The camp scene was down right awful, the exchange between his wife and partner was just terribly acted, it reminded me of some of the acting from those old horror movies that I'd watched. I nearly burst out laughing.

All and all I don't think I'll be spending anymore time with this series.

The camp scene was fine. It sets up well because there is just some things you don't do even in post apocalyptic zombie horror, which is sleep with your friend and co-workers wife after you just left him for dead a month earlier.

the crispy badger
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
really enjoyed it being a hardcore zombie junkie..and apprently the rating are through the roof for it! hopefully it stays as fun and intense as the first episode.

Stranger
11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I think he didn't ask any questions because like other zombie movies the writers have many hours to explain the plot rather than an hour and a half. It will come.

Sunday is now my must watch TV night with this and Boardwalk Empire.

nik-
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I loved it. I also had a zombie dream last night ... so I wasn't too keen on that.

Antithesis
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Apparently it pulled a 3.3 rating last night which is pretty amazing for a cable series ... pretty close (if not better) than True Blood ever did, and almost 4 times the highest-ever rating for Mad Men.

Hemi-Cuda
11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
i'm kinda curious as to where AMC falls into the censorship category though. are they allowed to do anything they want like HBO? very strict rules like a network? or somewhere in-between like FX? reason i'm curious is that i don't remember any curse words from the episode, but the gore content was as high as i've seen on a regular TV show

To Be Quite Honest
11-01-2010, 06:05 PM
i'm kinda curious as to where AMC falls into the censorship category though. are they allowed to do anything they want like HBO? very strict rules like a network? or somewhere in-between like FX? reason i'm curious is that i don't remember any curse words from the episode, but the gore content was as high as i've seen on a regular TV show

From what I understand, they can do anything but naughty nudity and naughty language. The gore is just fine.

Hemi-Cuda
11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
From what I understand, they can do anything but naughty nudity and naughty language. The gore is just fine.

that just seems wrong. if i were a parent i think i'd be ok with letting my kid see the odd nipple or hear an f-bomb over a point blank headshot with brain matter exploding out the back

3 Justin 3
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
that just seems wrong. if i were a parent i think i'd be ok with letting my kid see the odd nipple or hear an f-bomb over a point blank headshot with brain matter exploding out the back

I know right? My favorite part of the series is how graphic it is (like the comic). When they showed Rick putting the gun right to the guys head and then blowing his face off without cutting to a blank screen (like what always happens) I was like "OOOOHH SHHHIIIIIII".

Then the next scene "aww darnit" (not really, but you get the jiff).

Cable tv is weird.

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM

I always find that funny how a person can't say "G.D D.M" but you can say "I'm going to put a bullet in your skull."

MoneyGuy
11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
What channel is AMC? Is it on regular cable?

MrMastodonFarm
11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Well that was a fantastic episode loved it. My only complaint was the obvious Best friend/cop partner hooking up with his wife. It was obvious to me that was his wife and son when his buddy pulled away from her when her son came close to the tent, I arg'ed just a bit. Only annoyance though.

I hope they stick with the black Dad and his son, that little arc with his Zombie wife as great. Can't wait for the next episode.

Acting was fantastic too.

3 Justin 3
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
What channel is AMC? Is it on regular cable?

Channel 47 for me on shaw.

And the black guy was awesome the first episode. His breakdown when he and Rick went to his house and he was talking about how his wife took pictures, that was effing fantastic.

And when Rick woke up in the hospital freaking out, excellent as well.

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 10:20 PM
That black guy plays a really good pimp in Hung.

MrMastodonFarm
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
That black guy plays a really good pimp in Hung.
Ah! That's where I recognized him from.. couldn't place him for the life of me.

He's great in both.

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Ah! That's where I recognized him from.. couldn't place him for the life of me.

He's great in both.

It took me about an hour too. It was bugging me the whole time.

Flames0910
11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Well that was a fantastic episode loved it. My only complaint was the obvious Best friend/cop partner hooking up with his wife. It was obvious to me that was his wife and son when his buddy pulled away from her when her son came close to the tent, I arg'ed just a bit. Only annoyance though.

I hope they stick with the black Dad and his son, that little arc with his Zombie wife as great. Can't wait for the next episode.

Acting was fantastic too.

A cliche can be OK if it's well done. There's generally a reason they're a cliche.

It's when they're used as a shortcut for real story that irks me. I think in this case it will probably end up alright (although I had the same initial reaction)

trackercowe
11-02-2010, 12:20 AM
The black dude was in Jericho too.

BloodFetish
11-02-2010, 05:00 AM
The camp scene was fine. It sets up well because there is just some things you don't do even in post apocalyptic zombie horror, which is sleep with your friend and co-workers wife after you just left him for dead a month earlier.

It's never too early to repopulate the species!

BloodFetish
11-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Very good series so far. Love the scene in the tank when the soldier "wakes" up. He looked half-surprised that meat came to him, half-pissed that he stole his gun.

Hanni
11-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Very good series so far. Love the scene in the tank when the soldier "wakes" up. He looked half-surprised that meat came to him, half-pissed that he stole his gun.

and what sounds like a kid calling him a dumbass on the radio was funny.

Watched it last night and loved it, I'm a zombie junky as well. The only problem I had was him shooting them point blank in the head. Now I've never shot anyone in the head before, but wouldn't there be back splatter? I wouldn't want to get that close for fear of blood splatter getting in my eyes or mouth.

As far as him not asking any questions, he woke up after who knows how many days of not being cared for, so he was weak and dehydrated I'm sure. Not to mention the kid had just knocked him out with a shovel.

It really GMG that I get AMC as part of my programming on Shaw Direct, but AMC HD is in a bundle that will cost me an extra $6/month.

underGRADFlame
11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
The black dude was in Jericho too.

... and Snatch.

Redliner
11-02-2010, 09:03 AM
With this being a made for TV show, I was a little surprised at how graphic the gore was. Very intense opening episode though. For me, the hospital scenes were the scariest - waking up from a coma like that and finding everyone just gone would be terrifying.

It always makes me laugh with any movie like this that the characters always make the same mistakes. If I'm wandering disoriented through a dark and destroyed hospital and I come across a door leading to a hallway with gallons of blood splattered everywhere and a half-eaten corpse in the middle of the floor, the last thing I'm doing is going in there. Likewise with the decision to go to Atlanta. I understand he's looking for his wife & kid, but any major city would mean more people and therefore more zombies, right? You'd think one would stick to more rural areas in crazy times like these. The scene where he's riding into the city on the freeway and the outbound lanes are jammed with cars but there's not a single vehicle going in should probably be another clue.

Still a very enjoyable show though - can't wait for the next epsiode.

Kybosh
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
One thing I really liked was that the zombies were always immobile and basically dead unless there was a human around. Could provide some good scares in future episodes.

MrMastodonFarm
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
One thing I really liked was that the zombies were always immobile and basically dead unless there was a human around. Could provide some good scares in future episodes.

They focused on one Zombie a couple time before buddy escaped into the tank. This Zombie came out of the burnt out bus IIRC and then they showed him almost... thinking a couple times after. Could be an interesting plot point, could be be totally overthinking it.
http://www.cnn.com/video/showbiz/2010/10/28/natpkg.the.walking.dead.cnn.640x360.jpg

GreenTeaFrapp
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
With this being a made for TV show, I was a little surprised at how graphic the gore was.

Have you never watched CSI? :whistle:

Kybosh
11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
They focused on one Zombie a couple time before buddy escaped into the tank. This Zombie came out of the burnt out bus IIRC and then they showed him almost... thinking a couple times after. Could be an interesting plot point, could be be totally overthinking it.
http://www.cnn.com/video/showbiz/2010/10/28/natpkg.the.walking.dead.cnn.640x360.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to characterize certain zombies further in future episodes. They've already shown that some of them seem to have memories (ie. the wife zombie returning to the house). All in all, I loved the premiere.

zztim81
11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to characterize certain zombies further in future episodes. They've already shown that some of them seem to have memories (ie. the wife zombie returning to the house). All in all, I loved the premiere.

hmmm... for a minute i thought this was another olli Jokinen face photoshop! lol...:whistle:

getbak
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
If you've watched Breaking Bad or Mad Men over the years, it would appear that they've recently loosened up on the language they'll allow, but only slightly.

This year on Mad Men, it became almost comical how during pretty much every episode someone would utter the "S" word, exactly once per episode. They'll still censor out anyone using the "F" word.

Nudity is still off limits. The closest they come is showing Bryan Cranston in his underwear on Breaking Bad.

Rhettzky
11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Only watched half the premier so far but loved it. I have read all the comics and they are staying pretty damn close and if that's the case then things are only going to get better. This show has so much potential and I'm stoked they didn't try to do a movie because the books were basically made to be a series.

Aloof
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought there may have been recognition in Thoughtful Zombie's face or something. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first episode.

3 Justin 3
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Only watched half the premier so far but loved it. I have read all the comics and they are staying pretty damn close and if that's the case then things are only going to get better. This show has so much potential and I'm stoked they didn't try to do a movie because the books were basically made to be a series.

Considering there are over 50 issues in the comic series it would be impossible to do a movie.

I haven't read them all, only the first ones but as you said this comic was made to be a tv series as the author puts it, "the walking dead wasn made to end, it just follows Rick suriving the zombie apocolypse."

From what I have read on the Internet the series has already been picked up for a second season which is apparently 13 episodes. The first is 6 by the way.

HalifaxDrunk
11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) and his horse Blade.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/Andrew-Lincoln-WM-560.jpg

TopChed
11-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I was a little reluctant to watch this originally, since the whole zombie thing isn't usually my jam. But wow, I loved episode one and can't wait for the rest of the series. AMC has been doing everything right lately with its original series' it seems.

david_vish
11-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but the horse scene was a little disturbing. To think he couldn't have just looked for an abandoned car. Never use a horse as transport in a zombie outbreak.

Ark2
11-02-2010, 01:40 PM
If you've watched Breaking Bad or Mad Men over the years, it would appear that they've recently loosened up on the language they'll allow, but only slightly.

This year on Mad Men, it became almost comical how during pretty much every episode someone would utter the "S" word, exactly once per episode. They'll still censor out anyone using the "F" word.

Nudity is still off limits. The closest they come is showing Bryan Cranston in his underwear on Breaking Bad.

Not true. In Mad Men, when Peggy first met her photographer friend, they showed us some of her nude photos where a models tits were showing.

GreenTeaFrapp
11-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but the horse scene was a little disturbing. To think he couldn't have just looked for an abandoned car. Never use a horse as transport in a zombie outbreak.

If he'd taken a car, he would have been killed. That the zombies went after the horse instead of him was what gave him enough time to get under the tank.

Hemi-Cuda
11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
If he'd taken a car, he would have been killed. That the zombies went after the horse instead of him was what gave him enough time to get under the tank.

i was secretly hoping that his horse would be attacked, but not ripped to shreds. zombie horse!

david_vish
11-02-2010, 01:57 PM

I'm sure he wasn't thinking that when he chose to ride the horse. (I'll feed him to the zombies to save time for my escape) Had he found a decent car, with a full gas tank, it would have been easier to get past them, or drive right through them.

Hanni
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
The good things about a horse are no gas and you don't need roads (what if a road is blocked and you end up getting your car stuck in a ditch, then you're walking).

I'm kind of hoping he gets the tank started and goes on an awesome zombie crushing spree.

getbak
11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Not true. In Mad Men, when Peggy first met her photographer friend, they showed us some of her nude photos where a models tits were showing.
Good point. I had forgotten that. So, they'll allow second-hand nudity (if that's the right word for it), but I still don't think they've ever shown one of the characters actually naked.

There was the one scene with Peggy and the new art guy working in the hotel where they get naked, and there was strategically positioned furniture blocking out the view of anything inappropriate.

http://www.amctv.com/videos/mad-men/?bcpid=8803972001&bclid=194014048001&bctid=597182276001

LGA
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm sure he wasn't thinking that when he chose to ride the horse. (I'll feed him to the zombies to save time for my escape) Had he found a decent car, with a full gas tank, it would have been easier to get past them, or drive right through them.

I bet he figured with a Zombie Horse, he wouldn't have to feed it, and since the horse eats grass, wouldn't be a threat to him. So, he'd have a crazy zombie horse he wouldn't have to worry about ever.

SeeBass
11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) and his horse Blade.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/Andrew-Lincoln-WM-560.jpg

I am watching this other series called Strike Back it is a British series and it is really good.

Is that the same guy?

old-fart
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Fan of zombie movies - both cheesey and otherwise although the cheesey funny ones like Shawn of the Dead are classic. This was a great first episode, can see lots of places where this can go.

I haven't read the comics so have no idea what is going to happen, but it almost looks like a Us against Them against Them coming up - Rick and whoever saves him from the tank and whatever rag tag band of misfits he can put together vs. his ex-partner and their camp vs. a country full of zombies. I can see the Rick`s team vs. Other Dude shaping up as him trying to off Rick, or at least not help him, so he can continue to bang Rick`s wife.

Great show - can`t wait for episode 2.

Mike F
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I’ve been a big fan of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Rubicon, so was really looking forward to this premier. Unfortunately, put me in the meh camp.

Probably going to come off as too picky, but there were more “stupid” moments in this one episode than in all of the episodes of the other 3 shows combined, including:

1. “Hey, little girl. . . .” - Bad start. They’ve been advertising this as a zombie show for months, so we weren’t going to be even mildly surprised that she was a zombie, and at that point in the timeline he’s well aware of the zombie situation, so he just looked stupid thinking this lone, shuffling, mottle skinned girl would be anything other than a zombie.

2. “Assume the fetal position” - He goes home and has a breakdown in his living room, but when he goes back later he shows that he rationally analysed the situation and concluded that his wife and son left alive?

3. “No questions asked. . . . “ - So he’s woken up in a desolate land filled with nothing but corpses and freaky hands barricaded in a room, comes across the first living people he’s seen anywhere. . . . and is cold and slightly belligerent? Even being tied up, there’s no way his reaction isn’t “WTF is going on?” and “Thank god I’m not alone!”

4. “Smell ya later. . . .” - So both cowboy rick and black daddy & son have come across some of the few non-zombies left, and yet they calmly part ways with barely a discussion? Not likely.

5. “I’ll just hit an ESSO” - He has to know how far it is to Atlanta, yet somehow takes a cruiser obviously nearly empty, and just wanders the countryside with a canister? Who doesn’t know to stock up on fuel?

6. “Looks like a good hiding place. . . .” - No, no one would crawl under a tank to get away from a zombie horde.

7. “Skipped their Wheaties. . . .” - So we’re to believe zombie-ism has swept the country in short order, and they can pull down a full grown horse, yet cowboy rick doesn’t get scratched despite being swarmed?

8. “It’s a bit out of the way. . . .” - Cowboy rick’s former partner, wife and son all make it out OK, and just leave him in the hospital?

Flames89
11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Do you guys get AMC in HD?

GreenTeaFrapp
11-02-2010, 05:24 PM
What I liked about the pilot was that it's a drama instead of a horror show. It's more about storytelling then attempting to startle the audience. There were lots of opportunities to scare the audience and they didn't take them.

To Be Quite Honest
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I’ve been a big fan of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Rubicon, so was really looking forward to this premier. Unfortunately, put me in the meh camp.

Probably going to come off as too picky, but there were more “stupid” moments in this one episode than in all of the episodes of the other 3 shows combined, including:

1. “Hey, little girl. . . .” - Bad start. They’ve been advertising this as a zombie show for months, so we weren’t going to be even mildly surprised that she was a zombie, and at that point in the timeline he’s well aware of the zombie situation, so he just looked stupid thinking this lone, shuffling, mottle skinned girl would be anything other than a zombie.

It's a story about survival. The zombie girl picked up a teddy bear! He could help the little girl. Turned out he was wrong. It was a great open.

2. “Assume the fetal position” - He goes home and has a breakdown in his living room, but when he goes back later he shows that he rationally analysed the situation and concluded that his wife and son left alive?
That is perfectly explained. No pictures around the house and clothes have been packed. You're just looking for something to complain about.

3. “No questions asked. . . . “ - So he’s woken up in a desolate land filled with nothing but corpses and freaky hands barricaded in a room, comes across the first living people he’s seen anywhere. . . . and is cold and slightly belligerent? Even being tied up, there’s no way his reaction isn’t “WTF is going on?” and “Thank god I’m not alone!”

Obviously you have been tied up before. And when they could be crazy's you definitely take the approach of control... You know, being all tied up with the people who just cold bloodily killed a man in broad daylight. Yup, I'd be talking up a storm there!

4. “Smell ya later. . . .” - So both cowboy rick and black daddy & son have come across some of the few non-zombies left, and yet they calmly part ways with barely a discussion? Not likely.

One want's to find his family, the other needs to off his zombie wife... They can communicate by radio and catch up in a few days. Not a problem here.

5. “I’ll just hit an ESSO” - He has to know how far it is to Atlanta, yet somehow takes a cruiser obviously nearly empty, and just wanders the countryside with a canister? Who doesn’t know to stock up on fuel?

Who doesn't know he hasn't tried yet? They just picked this part to show on camera, you know, because multiple empty gas stations would be common in this scenario IMO.

6. “Looks like a good hiding place. . . .” - No, no one would crawl under a tank to get away from a zombie horde.

WHY THE FACE! He can't go anywhere else! Path of least resistance? Dude seriously. Brutal argument here.

7. “Skipped their Wheaties. . . .” - So we’re to believe zombie-ism has swept the country in short order, and they can pull down a full grown horse, yet cowboy rick doesn’t get scratched despite being swarmed?

Looks like it!

8. “It’s a bit out of the way. . . .” - Cowboy rick’s former partner, wife and son all make it out OK, and just leave him in the hospital?

If your town was being attacked and the tv or radio says get out now and go to Atlanta... Would you risk it if he was already dead or half dead and piratically a Zombie too? Hell what's in the basement? Corpses? This is a build up for the human element when he eventually finds his family. His buddy will have to explain himself.

If you really have these issues I suggest watching something else, because you need to be spoon fed storyline. Try watching The Big Bang Theory or #hit my dad says.

Bertuzzied
11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
The writer of the comic,Kirkman has said that he has no ending for this story. It's just going to keep on going. I wonder how the TV series will end because unless it's the simpsons i can't see it going on for more than 7-8 seasons.

MrMastodonFarm
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Probably going to come off as too picky,
Very.

Picking apart something like a Zombie TV show is just asinine.

getbak
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I bet he figured with a Zombie Horse, he wouldn't have to feed it, and since the horse eats grass, wouldn't be a threat to him. So, he'd have a crazy zombie horse he wouldn't have to worry about ever.
Last week Rockstar released an add-on to Red Dead Redemption called Undead Nightmare. You play as the same character from RDR except most of the people in the world have been infected with some sort of zombie disease. A lot of the animals in the world are also undead. You can ride a zombie horse in the game. It never loses its stamina and never attacks you.

Do you guys get AMC in HD?
Yes.

Mike F
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
That is perfectly explained. No pictures around the house and clothes have been packed. You're just looking for something to complain about.
That's my point -- he looks around, sees they had time to pack pictures and clothes, concludes they go away. . . . then breaks down crying and thrashing? Given how wooden he is the rest of the episode?

Obviously you have been tied up before. And when they could be crazy's you definitely take the approach of control... You know, being all tied up with the people who just cold bloodily killed a man in broad daylight. Yup, I'd be talking up a storm there!
So no curiosity about how the world went from bustling to deserted in short order?

Who doesn't know he hasn't tried yet? They just picked this part to show on camera, you know, because multiple empty gas stations would be common in this scenario IMO.
So the cruiser parked outside the police station is the one car in town with gas? Convenient.

WHY THE FACE! He can't go anywhere else! Path of least resistance? Dude seriously. Brutal argument here.
Path of least resistance is to put yourself in a position where you'll be surrounded with no ability to move quickly? If you can't run, climb on the tank and into the open hatch. Crawling under was simply the path of maximum drama.

Looks like it!
So you'll just buy the lack of logic? Fine, but it bugged me.

If your town was being attacked and the tv or radio says get out now and go to Atlanta... Would you risk it if he was already dead or half dead and piratically a Zombie too? Hell what's in the basement? Corpses? This is a build up for the human element when he eventually finds his family. His buddy will have to explain himself.
The premise of the human element is a man struggling to find his family. . . . who abandoned him. And not to an overpowering swarm a la I Am Legend, but a bunch of shambling dawdlers. If cowboy rick can beat one with a bat, and run through a swarm at least for a little while unscathed, how did the US Army get overrun?

If you really have these issues I suggest watching something else, because you need to be spoon fed storyline. Try watching The Big Bang Theory or #hit my dad says.
Wait, you think my problem is that I need something simpler?

Look, I'm not as down on it as I may appear, but I expected better from AMC than your standard zombie story where you have to accept gaps in logic for the sake of creating drama.

Mike F
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Very.

So it was asinine to hope/expect a network with a motto "Story Matters", which featured shows which were some of the smartest written on TV, to come up with something better than your conventional Zombie TV show?

peter12
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Very.

Asinine is such a good word. Seriously, I am just excited that a show like this actually made it to pilot. This can only get better.

peter12
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
The biggest unrealistic part is the zombies and zombie storyline.

Agreed. If only they had created a series about a group of best friends living in New York together and all their wild hijinks. I really dig that stuff. Great television.

3 Justin 3
11-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Look, I'm not as down on it as I may appear, but I expected better from AMC than your standard zombie story where you have to accept gaps in logic for the sake of creating drama.

You do realize this is based on a comic right? So far it has been pretty dedicated to the comic. If they were to explain EVERYTHING like you want, the pilot would have been 3 hours long.

Whether they choose to follow the comic or not in successive seasons or not I don't know, but as it is now they probably will. And that is how the comics go, you can't have a ton of info. to explain things. They assume the reader is intelligent enough to fill in the pieces. (I am not insulting you, just saying in general)

J pold
11-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Good points made, I found myself asking the same questions and finding the same inconsistences.

boogerz
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
You do realize this is based on a comic right? So far it has been pretty dedicated to the comic. If they were to explain EVERYTHING like you want, the pilot would have been 3 hours long.

Whether they choose to follow the comic or not in successive seasons or not I don't know, but as it is now they probably will. And that is how the comics go, you can't have a ton of info. to explain things. They assume the reader is intelligent enough to fill in the pieces. (I am not insulting you, just saying in general)

Plus the missing pieces make for interesting speculation and/or discussion

If you want to b**** and moan about the subtle inconsistencies of The Walking Dead you might be better served over at IMDB board :w00t:

To Be Quite Honest
11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
That's my point -- he looks around, sees they had time to pack pictures and clothes, concludes they go away. . . . then breaks down crying and thrashing? Given how wooden he is the rest of the episode?

You do realize he came up with this conclusion about his family, and ran back into the house from outside (cuz the other two were squatting next door), scenes later (which was a day later) and somethings were explained to him by the man and his son. No issue here.

So no curiosity about how the world went from bustling to deserted in short order?
Let's give EVERYTHING away in the pilot... If you're not curious then they didn't do their job when they made the show.

So the cruiser parked outside the police station is the one car in town with gas? Convenient.
He is a cop, and a peace authority. Driving in a cruiser would help the most people no?

Path of least resistance is to put yourself in a position where you'll be surrounded with no ability to move quickly? If you can't run, climb on the tank and into the open hatch. Crawling under was simply the path of maximum drama.
He was already on the ground! He'd actually get scratched easier with your suggestion! How fast can you climb a tank surrounded by Zombies?

So you'll just buy the lack of logic? Fine, but it bugged me.
I'm not buying what your selling. The ZOMBIE TV show did quite fine thank you.

The premise of the human element is a man struggling to find his family. . . . who abandoned him. And not to an overpowering swarm a la I Am Legend, but a bunch of shambling dawdlers. If cowboy rick can beat one with a bat, and run through a swarm at least for a little while unscathed, how did the US Army get overrun?

He didn't run through. Watch it again.The horse fell, the zombies ate the mammal making all the noise (You know, keeping to the zombie design of the show). The zombies finally saw him after a few seconds and his massive panic, he looked behind and rolled under the tank. Not an issue. Good story.

Wait, you think my problem is that I need something simpler?
From the issues you have and seem to have a deal with... Something much more different that this show.

See the ratings? Have you watched a good Zombie show lately? This show is unreal. I'm not a zombie movie lover. I loved this show because the zombies caused this but they are not the story. The people or aka, The Walking Dead, because the author actually is talking about the survivors in the title, are the story here.

Just like the Soprano's, most people were fooled into believing they were watching a crime family show, but, in fact, they were watch a show filled with family issues. The Mafia in Soprano's and the Zombies in TWD are the element that will make the people tune in.

KTrain
11-03-2010, 07:45 AM
The first episode was great and I'm looking forward to the rest.

I think arguing about how people would react to the dead rising and attacking the living is pretty ridiculous. Suspend disbelief and just enjoy the show.

The dude was riding a horse, into a city filled with thousands of dead people walking around, gets attacked, and you think you can predict what he'd do in that situation?

Part of the fun of watching movies and television is seeing someone react to a situation in a way that you wouldn't. If all we saw were "I'd totally do that too" moments we soils be pretty bored with TV.

Flames89
11-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Ok, will try again.

Here in Toronto, I look at my programming guide and only see this show on SD AMC channel.

Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?
Anyone know if Rogers carries it?
Am I just an idiot and missing something very blatent?

Why is the software and graphics associated with PVR/digital cable still stuck in 1985? Super Nintendo made better use of menus and colours.

Rhettzky
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM

How was it in short order? He was in a coma for over a month.

All the cars at the station were behind a locked and barbed wire fence. Not the easiest vehicles to hot wire or syphon from.

Does this really matter? His horse fell over, he landed on the ground and crawled under a tank.

I really think you're being too picky here.

SeeBass
11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Ok, will try again.

Here in Toronto, I look at my programming guide and only see this show on SD AMC channel.

Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?

Why is the software and graphics associated with PVR/digital cable still stuck in 1985? Super Nintendo made better use of menus and colours.

I get it in HD but on Bell

getbak
11-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?
Yes, Shaw carries AMC HD. I don't know about Rogers.

GreenTeaFrapp
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Yes, Shaw carries AMC HD. I don't know about Rogers.

Rogers doesn't. :mad:

HotHotHeat
11-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh man! Love this show! Just watched the pilot. Looks like that's the only show aired so far.

Ratings were strong for the first week. Hope that continues.

To Be Quite Honest
11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh man! Love this show! Just watched the pilot. Looks like that's the only show aired so far.

Ratings were strong for the first week. Hope that continues.

Who knows... It is hardly a believable show. For example, who in their right mind would ride a horse into town. What is this a western?

Hemi-Cuda
11-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Who knows... It is hardly a believable show. For example, who in their right mind would ride a horse into town. What is this a western?

who does he think he is, Mr. Old Spice?

Flames89
11-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. And man - does that suck.

I may be a big enough visual snob to download the episodes on HD instead of settling for Rogers' crappiness.

KTrain
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
If you missed the first episode, you can now view the entire thing online (legally).

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/11/04/miss-walking-dead-premiere-heres-your-chance-to-watch-it/

trackercowe
11-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Man, Michael Rooker is a d1ck.

Great second episode. Good dynamic with the people in the department store. Not really feeling it at the camp, but they just need to develop those characters a bit more.

Sunday is pretty crazy night for television now. The Walking Dead at 8, Boardwalk Empire at 9, and Dexter at 10. Great night for tv; if only there were other shows of this quality the six other nights of the week.

SeeBass
11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=Mike F;2759223]

QUOTE]

Actually I thought it was a great way to begin.

It showed me that they are willing to show a little girl get a bullet in the head. I dont know many shows on TV yet alone movies that show that.
It gave me an idea that this is really going to be something different and that they are going to take it to another level.

I never saw any of the ads I had a friend tell me to tune in so of course I knew it would be a zombie but I didnt expect the extreme graphic violence.
I was like "whoa cool, hey honey come here and check this out!!"

I also want to know how you know what part of the timeline it was when it was the begininng of the show? In hindsight now you know, but not at that moment you didn't.
If you know the story that's fine but most people don't.

Lil Pedro
11-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Tonights episode was intense. This show has been great so far. I feel like the video game Left 4 Dead has been made into a Tv series. Can't wait for next sunday

VANFLAMESFAN
11-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Another hit episode for me. The "disguise" they made for themselves to blend in with the other zombies almost had me gagging. That was nasty!

Walking Dead is a nice surprise for me. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I have.

the crispy badger
11-08-2010, 04:56 AM
loved tonights episode but i'm not feeling what they did to the redneck, that leaves an ugly feeling in my gut that he'll be back.

HalifaxDrunk
11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
loved tonights episode but i'm not feeling what they did to the redneck, that leaves an ugly feeling in my gut that he'll be back.
Minor possible spoiler - Merle Dixon (actor Micheal Rooker) is credited with 6 episodes so yeah I think he'll be back.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Did you miss the preview for next week at the end?

Mike F
11-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Well, I gave it another shot, but this just isn't for me -- I wanted a zombie show that had the great writing of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, but got your standard cliche zombie show with no care for internal logic and silly choices just for the sake of artificial drama.

Don't want to pick apart every little thing again (and there were a tonne of things that had me rolling my eyes) but:

- so the group comes into town for the express purpose of gathering supplies in the midst of zombie-pocalypse, yet that one lady gets all hesitant about taking a necklace? "Would it be considered looting?"

- covering themselves in zombie guts was a fine strategy, and I went along with the sudden, shocking rain storm, but they hop in the vehicles, drive 20 feet and it's a bright, sunny day again? That's just lazy and showing no respect for quality.

- all of the dialogue on the rooftop was horrible.

Anyway, if you're enjoying the show, great - to each their own - but it's not for me.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Well, I gave it another shot, but this just isn't for me -- I wanted a zombie show that had the great writing of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, but got your standard cliche zombie show with no care for internal logic and silly choices just for the sake of artificial drama.

Don't want to pick apart every little thing again (and there were a tonne of things that had me rolling my eyes) but:

- so the group comes into town for the express purpose of gathering supplies in the midst of zombie-pocalypse, yet that one lady gets all hesitant about taking a necklace? "Would it be considered looting?"

- covering themselves in zombie guts was a fine strategy, and I went along with the sudden, shocking rain storm, but they hop in the vehicles, drive 20 feet and it's a bright, sunny day again? That's just lazy and showing no respect for quality.

- all of the dialogue on the rooftop was horrible.

Anyway, if you're enjoying the show, great - to each their own - but it's not for me.

They did mention it was a sun shower and it would be over quick

Wouldn't coming into the city for supplies be for neccesities and be different than grabbing a necklace?

It is a zombie show take off the tweed jacket with the elbow patches and the pipe, just turn off the brain and relax. There are a ton of things to pick at but why? Some of your thoughts have merit and others appear to show that you are the one not thinking. You can pick at any show they all have questionable moments.

Boy are they ever going to miss you I hope you dont have a Neilson box.

MrMastodonFarm
11-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Did you miss the preview for next week at the end?
Can't speak for the poster you quoted obviously, but I'm one of those people that avoid next episode previews at all costs. I find they give way too much away so I just watch each episode of each show as they come. Probably not the only one who does this.

As for episode 2, not as good as the pilot, but good.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 07:16 AM
I agree not as good as the pilot but it was fun to watch.

I can't see this show lasting for more than a few seasons. It will do well for a bit but it will have to create an emotional connection with us and a few characters or after awhile the zombie shock/fear will wear off.

FlamesFanInOilCountry
11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I enjoy this series, because the emphasis was not on "How did it happen?" but more on the story about the characters in "How they are dealing with it." I think this is a similar approach to a movie like "The Road." For those of you who have seen it, they don't explain what the major event was, they just show the two main characters struggle for survival.

Anyways, really enjoyable series so far! I look forward to sundays, now!

corporatejay
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree not as good as the pilot but it was fun to watch.

I can't see this show lasting for more than a few seasons. It will do well for a bit but it will have to create an emotional connection with us and a few characters or after awhile the zombie shock/fear will wear off.

Well this "season" is only 6 episodes so it could last for say, 8 season which would be the equivalent of 2 season of network TV.

My understanding is that these were going to be a sequence of "mini-series" and considering how cable operates, you might get 6 episodes every year/year and a half with little arcs in between.

Also, if it continues to draw good numbers, it's possible they might "spin-off" at some point, create entirely new characters in a different part of the country.

The potential here is significant, but it's a very expensive series to produce (although that is AMC's business model). It has movie level-production quality so it has to not only be a critical darling (like mad men, breaking bad) but a ratings darling as well.

I hope this series does well. AMC has produced quality series after quality series (although I hated the prisoner, you had to admire the attempt) and this will only encourage them to produce more high-priced television, which I think we can all agree is a good thing.

Mike F
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't coming into the city for supplies be for neccesities and be different than grabbing a necklace?
If they wanted to set up a character trying to cling to the last vestiges of society and maintailnaw and order that would be really interesting, but here, the character hesitating over a necklace had, just 20 minutes ago, grabbed the sheriff by the neck, stuck a gun to his temple, and threatened to shoot him. No internal consistency.

It’s like the zombies -- here, they sense by smell, can detect characters in a department store through two sets of glass doors and wil stop an nothing to get them. Yet last episode, the black guy and his son had apparently been fine living in zombie town by simply boarding a door and keeping the lights low. Black guy’s wife even stood right in front of the door with the sheriff staring through the peep hole and she had no clue. No internal consistency.

It is a zombie show take off the tweed jacket with the elbow patches and the pipe, just turn off the brain and relax.
No. I’m a big fan of sci-fi, fantasy, etc., and can enjoy a good monster movie, but don’t think I should have to completely turn off my brain to do so. You want to, fine.

blankall
11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I enjoy this series, because the emphasis was not on "How did it happen?" but more on the story about the characters in "How they are dealing with it." I think this is a similar approach to a movie like "The Road." For those of you who have seen it, they don't explain what the major event was, they just show the two main characters struggle for survival.

Anyways, really enjoyable series so far! I look forward to sundays, now!

I have a feeling this will change. I think a large part of the story line will eventually be occupied by some evil corporation/government agency who was responsible for the apocalypse and their agents who will become antagonists, with the exception of one who walks the line of badass protagonist.

This seems to be the formula that every sci/fi show eventually falls into (heroes, x-files, etc.).

I must say I am enjoying the show so far though. Reminds me a lot of the television adaptation of the Stand.

Roof-Daddy
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I like the show, but last nights episode did have a couple things that made me "roll my eyes" I guess.

1. Everybody standing around (groaning and cringing) while the cop chopped up the zombie body with an axe. Obviously done for dramatic effect, but there is no way the people standing around aren't going to get splashed by blood and/or tissue and become infected themselves.

2. I know they were wearing rubber gloves and rain coats, but slathering that much blood, tissue and guts on themselves, there is no way, IMO, that they wouldn't get some of that stuff on their skin.

blankall
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
If they wanted to set up a character trying to cling to the last vestiges of society and maintailnaw and order that would be really interesting, but here, the character hesitating over a necklace had, just 20 minutes ago, grabbed the sheriff by the neck, stuck a gun to his temple, and threatened to shoot him. No internal consistency.

To be fair, this is what most people in real life are like. They have almost random behaviour lines that they will or will not cross. For instance I have friends who smoke weed but won't touch other drugs and friends who attend church regularly but find it acceptable to get wasted on the weekends or have pre-marital sex.

blankall
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I like the show, but last nights episode did have a couple things that made me "roll my eyes" I guess.

1. Everybody standing around (groaning and cringing) while the cop chopped up the zombie body with an axe. Obviously done for dramatic effect, but there is no way the people standing around aren't going to get splashed by blood and/or tissue and become infected themselves.

2. I know they were wearing rubber gloves and rain coats, but slathering that much blood, tissue and guts on themselves, there is no way, IMO, that they wouldn't get some of that stuff on their skin.

They haven't said exactly what the means of transmission are yet other than biting. Maybe getting it on your skin isn't enough. Perhaps you need to get the zombie blood into an open wound.

In 28 days later, it was enough to get it into our eyes or mouth, but that might not be enough here.

Knut
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
To answer your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead from the comic version.

Zombie body fluids getting on a human will not infect them. It is not the bite itself that zombifies a person, all the bite does is cause a serious infection, which kills the human within days - however, promptly removing the limb of a person bitten will ensure survival.

The zombies crave living flesh. Some, dubbed "roamers", travel constantly and will chase prey or noises for many miles. "Lurker" zombies await prey to come close to them, and retaliate if they are disturbed, by a zombie or non-zombie alike, although it will chase after a non-zombie. It is not specified how a zombie becomes either type. Other zombies vocalize and make grunting or moaning sounds at times or constantly, but some do not. All zombies move much slower and more irregularly than humans, and humans can easily outrun or even briskly out-walk a zombie, however, zombies can only, very briefly, move more quickly by lunging, and a zombie may grow tired of roaming, after running out of either willpower or energy itself.

Roof-Daddy
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
They haven't said exactly what the means of transmission are yet other than biting. Maybe getting it on your skin isn't enough. Perhaps you need to get the zombie blood into an open wound.

In 28 days later, it was enough to get it into our eyes or mouth, but that might not be enough here.

Oh yeah, totally agree. We don't know, and the characters probably aren't 100% sure yet as to how the infection spreads.

It's just that right before they started slathering, the cop said for everyone "to be sure you don't get any on your skin or in your eyes".....

Being that he said that, you'd think they would have been more careful while all standing around when he buried an axe into a zombies abdomen and such...

There would definitely be splatter.

Oh well, I've still enjoyed the show so far.

Hemi-Cuda
11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah, totally agree. We don't know, and the characters probably aren't 100% sure yet as to how the infection spreads.

It's just that right before they started slathering, the cop said for everyone "to be sure you don't get any on your skin or in your eyes".....

Being that he said that, you'd think they would have been more careful while all standing around when he buried an axe into a zombies abdomen and such...

There would definitely be splatter.

Oh well, I've still enjoyed the show so far.

and then right after that the cop takes off his glove to get the cuff key out of his pocket, all while being slathered in zombie goo. that was the one part that got me

boogerz
11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Other than what was mentioned by Hesla here is a semi spoiler about how/why humans become zombies

In the comic it says that everyone is already infected, and as soon as they die they'll become a zombie(assuming their body hasn't been completely mutilated)

That explains why the soldier in the tank was a zombie despite being isolated from zombies in the tank

Boblobla
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I think you are all applying unrealistic expectations on a zombie thriller...

I love it so far. Sucks the first season is only 6 episodes. Next weeks looks good.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 01:16 PM

It’s like the zombies -- here, they sense by smell, can detect characters in a department store through two sets of glass doors and wil stop an nothing to get them. Yet last episode, the black guy and his son had apparently been fine living in zombie town by simply boarding a door and keeping the lights low. Black guy’s wife even stood right in front of the door with the sheriff staring through the peep hole and she had no clue. No internal consistency.

No. I’m a big fan of sci-fi, fantasy, etc., and can enjoy a good monster movie, but don’t think I should have to completely turn off my brain to do so. You want to, fine.

if you don't like it your loss

If you are a big fan of sci-fi then you must shut off your head many times as the real good ones are few and far between but for some reason this one is different and requires perfection?
I guess you didn't like the errors in all the superhero comics, lord of the rings, virtually every space movie etc etc etc.
So really what do you watch if you are a great sci-fi fan? name something you enjoy and if I know it I bet I could drive a truck through the mistakes.

I would be suprised to see a post from you next week as it would be silly to keep watching a show you obviously don't like unless all you want to do is complain

Boblobla
11-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I would be suprised to see a post from you next week as it would be silly to keep watching a show you obviously don't like unless all you want to do is complain

huh, I must have missed the disclaimer that stated all posts must be positive.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
huh, I must have missed the disclaimer that stated all posts must be positive.

No need to be positive but I wouldnt expect a post about a show that he doesnt like. So I doubt he would watch it, hence no post.

SeeBass
11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
You know you guys are mentioning quite a few sloppy mistakes now. Thanks for wrecking a show for me. I usually do that to my wife all the time.

Perhaps I should get off Mike F's back

Crispy's Critter
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
liking it a lot so far, except for the one totally unrealistic part of the show; the zombies! they don't exist, so they shouldn't be there!

but other than the zombie parts it's pretty decent.

Igottago
11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I actually agree with Mike F. I was a fan of the first episode, but this one seemed to drop off in quality, bigtime. If this was the first episode I saw, I'd pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, to an extent you have to turn your brain off in these genres, but do I have to become a zombie myself to enjoy this show?

I'm not going to repeat a lot of what Mike F and others have already pointed out, but another thing that irked me was that a lot of the characters trapped in the city also seem to have sibling/family members out in the country, and in the same camp no less. What a coincedence. So is this show going to be about the human spirit and survival in the face of disaster, or is it going to become days of our lives, with zombies?

Also, I just didn't find the characters all that engaging. Their personas seemed kind of forced, unlike the characters from the first episode. Like the racist guy on the roof trying to take command. I thought that was pretty poorly done. Its not like it was a normal guy with some racist tendencies, that he was conflicted against in the face of tragedy. Its like "lets take an over the top racist guy and stick him on the rooftop with a black guy". That whole exchange would've been better if they toned it down and bit and maybe added a bit of complexity to his character.

I'll still give it a chance next week, but less excited about the show than I initially was.

FlamesAllTheWay
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Definitely a fan of this show. Fan of the genre so it's about time someone took a stab at a TV series where you actually have a chance to take it a step further. All of the movies are exactly the same, mostly because you only have 2 hours tops to work with. After you cram in the usual zombie cliches in, there's not much time left to add anything new. I remember watching all the extras of I Am Legend, little animated skits where they show other experiences from around the world, and thinking there's so much potential to expand on a universe like that beyond what we saw in the movie.

Agreed that the first episode was better than the second, however. That may be in part because of the extra half hour the first episode had. Liked the look of the spoilers for episode 3, too bad that's already halfway done the season... so far so good for me!

FlamesAllTheWay
11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Also, I just didn't find the characters all that engaging. Their personas seemed kind of forced, unlike the characters from the first episode. Like the racist guy on the roof trying to take command. I thought that was pretty poorly done. Its not like it was a normal guy with some racist tendencies, that he was conflicted against in the face of tragedy. Its like "lets take an over the top racist guy and stick him on the rooftop with a black guy". That whole exchange would've been better if they toned it down and bit and maybe added a bit of complexity to his character.

Meh, give it time (as you said you were going to). Some characters will be developed, some likely will fall into the usual apocalyptic 1 dimensional stereotypes that are found in the genre, as you mentioned above... the alpha characters that will do anything to survive, the characters that are too nice and innocent to fully embrace the situation, the logical thinkers that are sometimes slow to act as they need to think their way out of the situation, useless cowards, etc. Part of the fun of the genre is seeing how these character types interact with one another when they're constantly forced to.

I imagine that racist guy will be that one character you hope dies, yell at the screen for someone to kill him when they get the chance, but pulls through in order to screw the rest of the group over at a later point. The human villain in the zombie world!

Ark2
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
It will be really interesting to see if Rick ever meets up with his wife and kid again, and if so, what will happen with his partner. In terms of plot and character development, that could be a gold mine (do they seperate? do they both share her? Do they fight for her?).

DrJ
11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
It will be really interesting to see if Rick ever meets up with his wife and kid again, and if so, what will happen with his partner. In terms of plot and character development, that could be a gold mine (do they seperate? do they both share her? Do they fight for her?).

They will meet up for sure...

"If I see my wife and kid, I will tell them about random zombie dude who I hacked up."

I was thinking that contemplative zombie would be the one to see past their disguises but that never materialized.

Fun show to watch; I'm digging it so far!

Sly
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm digging this show... one thing that bothers me a bit is the acting in some scenes... other than that definitely one of the shows not to miss every week.

the crispy badger
11-14-2010, 04:29 PM
bumped for tonights episode..cant wait

HotHotHeat
11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Does AMC have ads? I've watched the first two on Apple TV, going to catch it on TV tonight...Sure hope it's commercial free.

getbak
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Does AMC have ads? I've watched the first two on Apple TV, going to catch it on TV tonight...Sure hope it's commercial free.
Yes, there are commercials.

jammies
11-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Shaw has it on VOD (in HD) for free a day or two after the episode airs without any commercials. As long as you have AMC in your package, I assume.

MrMastodonFarm
11-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Holy crap, great episode tonight. The reunion between main guy and his wife and son was really well done. I thought they pulled off the emotion well without any real cheese about it.

I thought I had missed something when main guys wife was made at main guys buddy, but the revelation that he told them he was dead was interesting.

The end was great too, can't wait for episode 4.

Hanni
11-14-2010, 10:02 PM
So I have overlooked the little things till now but something that really bugged me about tonight's episode
if you got the hacksaw why the hell would cut your hand off and not the chain on the cuffs, ridiculous

Still enjoying it and will keep watching but that part annoyed me.

MrMastodonFarm
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
So I have overlooked the little things till now but something that really bugged me about tonight's episode
if you got the hacksaw why the hell would cut your hand off and not the chain on the cuffs, ridiculous

I think at that point the Zombies were pretty much on his doorstep, no?

Might be easier to go through some muscle and bone over metal chain. I don't know.

Flames0910
11-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Definitely a solid reference to Saw right there.

Hanni
11-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I think at that point the Zombies were pretty much on his doorstep, no?

Might be easier to go through some muscle and bone over metal chain. I don't know.

I've never been handcuffed, but I've seen them, the chain isn't exactly beefy. I'm willing to go with it, just seems like the worst choice, the zombies never made it to the roof due to the chain on the door, but I guess he didn't know they couldn't get through.

MrMastodonFarm
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I've never been handcuffed, but I've seen them, the chain isn't exactly beefy. I'm willing to go with it, just seems like the worst choice, the zombies never made it to the roof due to the chain on the door, but I guess he didn't know they couldn't get through.
Yeah, I understand, but then we have to think that these characters are humans, and humans make silly crazy decisions, most of the time.

SeeBass
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I guess there was another way off that roof.

I wonder how much oder a man with his hand cut off makes

Ozy_Flame
11-14-2010, 11:19 PM
The guy then fell off the roof, landed in a porthole, and slid out to the bottom of Cloud City, waiting for the Millenium Falcon to pick him up.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-14-2010, 11:56 PM
A solid episode with a cool ending. Is it possible to cut thru hand cuffs with a rusty hacksaw?? Maybe I've seen the original Saw too many time, but I have a hard time seeing that saw cut thru those chains. And maybe I've seen too many movies, but if you're willing to saw your hand off, would you not be willing to break your thumb or dis-locate it and pull your hand thru the cuff?? Maybe that part isn't possible, I dunno. Whatever, the ending was still awesome.

We also had some questions answered. I remember after Ep 1, in Mike F's long post detailing what he didn't like, he questioned why the wife and son just gave up on their father/husband and moved on with their life pretty easily. Well, we found out in tonight's episode. Pretty cool spin there. The rest of Mike F's post was ridiculous and just old fashioned nit picking. That's the beauty of tv shows and why you should never judge them after one episode. There's always plenty of time for questions to be answered. I'm sure we will have more question answered as we go along.

Radio
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Maybe it was easier and faster to cut his own hand off, he was wigging out pretty good to begin with..maybe jeebus cut his hand off for him.

Maybe that helicopter in Ep1 picked him up off the roof...

Lil Pedro
11-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Show keeps getting better and better. Hope they renew it for another season!

getbak
11-15-2010, 12:31 AM
It's already been renewed for a second season (13 episodes), to go along with the 6 for this season.

Hemi-Cuda
11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
given that the wife nailed her husband and the best friend in quick succession, i'm gonna guess that now she's pregnant and a "whose baby is it" storyline will develop for season 2. i haven't read the comics, but it seems like a very convenient plot twist

Lil Pedro
11-16-2010, 12:55 AM
I would really like to know more about how the virus came to be. I am aware that people started getting sick, getting the terrible fever that would kill them, but I would like to know why they turn into walkers. Hopefully as this season goes on and into next season, the story can describe this to the audience

Cole436
11-16-2010, 01:13 AM
I would really like to know more about how the virus came to be. I am aware that people started getting sick, getting the terrible fever that would kill them, but I would like to know why they turn into walkers. Hopefully as this season goes on and into next season, the story can describe this to the audience
You never find out, the zombiepocolypse stops becoming the focus of the story.

getbak
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I think you'll be disappointed. I haven't read the comics on which the show is based, but my understanding is that in seven years of publication, they've never really gone into any details about what caused the initial outbreak.

dissentowner
11-16-2010, 04:33 AM
My first thought was if he cut his hand off like that won't he bleed to death?

Hanni
11-16-2010, 08:08 AM

That was my second thought, not only that but a severely bleeding wound would make you weak and attract more zombies.

onetwo_threefour
11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I know people have a problem with cutting off the hand vs cutting through the handcuff chain. That wasn't exactly my problem since I assume handcuff steel is at least somewhat hardened. What I didn't get uis why he wouldn't saw through what looked to be a fairly skinny piece of rebar that he was handcuffed to. I'd rather go around with a handcuff dangling of my arm than cut off my hand.

As for some of the other objections, I find I can suspend disbelief about most of then, especially in light of some of the spoiler explanations given. It appears that a lot of these issues have been at least considered in the comic version.

Crispy's Critter
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't think it would be very easy to cut through the handcuff chain, as I think it is hardened steel, but that ready rod the other side of the cuffs were chained to would have cut faster and easier than his wrist. That would have been the smart choice

edit: yea, what he said. gotta stop skimming posts

MrMastodonFarm
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
You never find out, the zombiepocolypse stops becoming the focus of the story.

You mind not saying stuff like that?

Hanni
11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I tried to google cutting handcuffs with a hacksaw, ended up with no answers and pages of forum topics about this exact argument.

blankall
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM

The real answer is because breaking the chain has less dramatic effect than cutting your hand off.

Hemi-Cuda
11-16-2010, 02:03 PM

that was my first thought too, though remember he did have a belt which he used to get the hacksaw, so he could have been smart enough to tie a tourniquet around his arm

SeeBass
11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I believe the "handcuffs or your hand" scenario was played out at the end of The Road Warrior

but seriously that pipe he was attached to looked like it would have been easy to cut through

Lil Pedro
11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I believe the "handcuffs or your hand" scenario was played out at the end of The Road Warrior

but seriously that pipe he was attached to looked like it would have been easy to cut through

I was thinking the same thing. That thing was more flimsy than the Oilers defence

Ark2
11-16-2010, 06:03 PM
The real answer is because breaking the chain has less dramatic effect than cutting your hand off.

Yupp. I think you nailed it. It's too bad though, because personally, I would have preferred to see a pair of handcuffs that had been hacked through rather than the guy's hand.

To Be Quite Honest
11-16-2010, 07:28 PM
FINALLY watched the last two episodes. Fun stuff. The third one was really great to watch.

I have read the comic up to issue 72 and apparently this story line will be somewhat different than the comic (some stuff just didn't work well out of the comic universe) so I wouldn't get too worried about "spoiler alerts".

Great show.

HPLovecraft
11-17-2010, 01:21 AM
- Bunch of survivors camping in the woods and swapping stories round a camp fire.
- A super confused woman playing two men off on each other.
- A bunch of raggedy-clothed, dirty-faced Others everyone is terrified of.
- WE HAVE TO GO BACK! to the city, that us.
- A redneck everyone hates fighting with the leading man.
- A diverse cast of differing ethnicities.

Hmm, what does this remind me of. ;)

Good show so far. Not a big fan of the guy cutting his hand off with the hack-saw instead of the cuff chain. I have a feeling that was a bit of a red herring, though, and it will have been something else.

MrMastodonFarm
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
- Bunch of survivors camping in the woods and swapping stories round a camp fire.

Hmm, what does this remind me of. ;).

Two and a Half Men?

GreatWhiteEbola
11-17-2010, 07:25 PM

I know... I know...
Two and a Half Men?

Teh_Bandwagoner
11-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Well the explanation they gave on tonight's episode was that "the saw was too dull" to cut through the cuffs. It was only explained in a single sentence, and yet somehow I'm satisfied heh. Maybe because at least I know they thought about it.

Igottago
11-21-2010, 10:50 PM
So correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt a zombie bite generally turn the victim into a zombie too? I was thinking that girls sister would become one.

CRXguy
11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
So correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt a zombie bite generally turn the victim into a zombie too? I was thinking that girls sister would become one.

I was waiting for her to open her eyes and bite the sister.

Hemi-Cuda
11-21-2010, 11:10 PM

it takes awhile after death i think. i was quite glad to see her get chomped on though, terrible actress. that opening scene with the 2 sisters in the boat trying to be emotional was just painful

Teh_Bandwagoner
11-22-2010, 01:44 AM
it takes awhile after death i think. i was quite glad to see her get chomped on though, terrible actress. that opening scene with the 2 sisters in the boat trying to be emotional was just painful

The preview for next week flashed a scene that shows that girl's lifeless body on the ground with her eyes wide open, and another scene of a dead arm (which looked like a girl's arm to me) starting to move. So yeah I figure it'll happen.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Didn't they say in the first episode that if you get bit, you will go thru a really bad fever and then you become a walker?? I think I remember something along those lines.

That was quite the last 5 minutes, pretty intense.

Hanni
11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Didn't they say in the first episode that if you get bit, you will go thru a really bad fever and then you become a walker?? I think I remember something along those lines.

That was quite the last 5 minutes, pretty intense.

I would imagine that only applies to a minor bite, it looked like she basically bled out from the bite to her neck, so she probably just skips the fever part.

Ozy_Flame
11-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Agreed. I couldn't help but think these two C-list actors were trying to act as hard as they could. It failed miserably, it was terribly done.

The shooting the cholo in the butt with the arrow though was gold. Not sure why I found that funny but I did!

MrMastodonFarm
11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, if that was the best take of the crying in a boat scene they had, then I shudder to think of the outtakes. Brutal acting in that scene.

Slow start to the episode, but it ended up very good. I was really glad to see one of the main actors (I guess?) take a bite and end up on the ground dying, ts a good precedent going forward about any character being able to bite the dust.

DuffMan
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Well the explanation they gave on tonight's episode was that "the saw was too dull" to cut through the cuffs. It was only explained in a single sentence, and yet somehow I'm satisfied heh. Maybe because at least I know they thought about it.

Yeah, the redneck brother said that, it was too dull for the cuffs.

burn_this_city
11-22-2010, 09:40 AM
It was nice to see the wife beater get bitten.

Ozy_Flame
11-22-2010, 09:45 AM
It was nice to see the wife beater get bitten.

For the record, as a zombie he'll probably still beat on women. Zombies tend to be indiscriminate when it comes to a tasty meal.

burn_this_city
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
For the record, as a zombie he'll probably still beat on women. Zombies tend to be indiscriminate when it comes to a tasty meal.

Hopefully his old lady is the one who booms him when he wakes up.

return to the red
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok so I have a question and maybe I missed it but didn't he say he had to go back to the City not only for the guy and the guns but also the promise he made for the father and son in ep. 1?

Ark2
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Ok so I have a question and maybe I missed it but didn't he say he had to go back to the City not only for the guy and the guns but also the promise he made for the father and son in ep. 1?

He needed the walkie talkie that was in the bag of guns. Once a day he was going to be on it to see if he could get a hold of the father and son. I think that time of day had already passed in this episode by the time he got the bag.

return to the red
11-22-2010, 02:59 PM
He needed the walkie talkie that was in the bag of guns. Once a day he was going to be on it to see if he could get a hold of the father and son. I think that time of day had already passed in this episode by the time he got the bag.

I see, just found it strange that there was no talk of the walkie talkie (how cool would that have been to come up with that name) at all when they made a fairly big deal about it as one of the primary reasons to go back.

Also I really wonder where the redneck ended up with the vehicle?

Radio
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the wife beater won't be coming back, looked like they finished the whole thing when it came to him. Looked like about 5 piled into that tent.

Teh_Bandwagoner
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I see, just found it strange that there was no talk of the walkie talkie (how cool would that have been to come up with that name) at all when they made a fairly big deal about it as one of the primary reasons to go back.

Also I really wonder where the redneck ended up with the vehicle?

LOL went a bit ADD there for a sec, eh? ;)

wpgflamesfan
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm curious too see what happens with the grenade he snagged earlier on in the season.

Hemi-Cuda
11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm curious too see what happens with the grenade he snagged earlier on in the season.

raid a sports store and tape it to a football

B15CmXAPMhk

Roof-Daddy
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
So is anybody else wondering how all those zombies got out there?

I know they aren't far from the city, but even still I'm thinking the dude that cut his hand off filled the back of that truck he stole with zombies and unleashed them on the group.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
^^^I'm thinking they could see the fire. Remember when the guy said he built the fire area walls higher so they could make a bigger fire and not have any of the zombies see it. I'm thinking the fire was too big and attracted the zombies to their camp. I don't think they even mention the fire thing if they weren't gonna have a zombie invasion at the end of the episode.

TylerSVT
11-23-2010, 12:44 AM
given that the wife nailed her husband and the best friend in quick succession, i'm gonna guess that now she's pregnant and a "whose baby is it" storyline will develop for season 2. i haven't read the comics, but it seems like a very convenient plot twist

I thought about that too and if that is the case i'll be switching to another channel.

What makes this show good is the zombie fighting and the guns and ####. not stupid storylines like "ZOMG HE SLEPT WITH MY WIFE" blah blah blah. if i wanted to watch that i would turn on 99% of other TV shows.

Rathji
11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I thought about that too and if that is the case i'll be switching to another channel.

What makes this show good is the zombie fighting and the guns and ####. not stupid storylines like "ZOMG HE SLEPT WITH MY WIFE" blah blah blah. if i wanted to watch that i would turn on 99% of other TV shows.

There are a thousand other options for zombie fighting in movies etc. The only way a TV series will work is if there are other parts to the story. Sure it is only 6 episodes a season, but that is still ~5 hours of content compared to ~2 for a zombie blasting flick.

HalifaxDrunk
11-23-2010, 07:17 AM
So is anybody else wondering how all those zombies got out there?

I know they aren't far from the city, but even still I'm thinking the dude that cut his hand off filled the back of that truck he stole with zombies and unleashed them on the group.
I thought about that as well. However would he really do that as he believes his brother in in camp with everyone else? Perhaps, but I'm not sure.

To Be Quite Honest
11-23-2010, 07:46 AM
This is a great series! Highly recommend the comic as well! It isn't following the comic per-say except for the attack at the camp and Amy being undead lunch.

The Undead walking into camp is explained and I think we will see more about that next week.

Sucks that it is only 6 episodes and we will have to wait a year before we see more. :(

RW99
11-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, it could have been the fire that brought them in. But one handed dude had the truck while the guys hiked it back. He had plenty of time to do something. Though if he thought his brother was in the camp, he wouldn't do it right?

I'm more concerned about the grave digger. I really don't want any psychic stuff going on in this show. Keep it to zombies.

chid
11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I dunno I think it might have been Merl, put them in the truck or something since he was so teed off. I'm surprised they didn't have a plan in place for when zombies came to the camp, it was just ridiculous chaos and if they had come up with some sort of meeting place - like the trailer it wouldn't have been such a s*** show

Boblobla
11-23-2010, 08:13 AM
IDK if it would have been Mearl, he had no way of knowing that his brother wasn't at the camp and I don't think he would unleash zombies on his brother.

In the comics, the zombies just show up iirc

Aloof
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Would shooting that guy with an arrow that had previously been used to shoot zombie heads be enough to potentially infect him with the zombie bug?

To Be Quite Honest
11-23-2010, 09:10 AM
IDK if it would have been Mearl, he had no way of knowing that his brother wasn't at the camp and I don't think he would unleash zombies on his brother.

In the comics, the zombies just show up iirc

You are correct with the spoiler.

There are apparently two types of Zombies. The hunting or roamer kind, and the sleeper ones that just lay there till you walk by them. The roamers follow each other and mimic each other. eg) One tries a door knob, and if another sees this they will try the door knob and so on. When one starts walking in a direction another will start walking. Eventually you will get a wandering group like the ones who attacked the camp.

TylerSVT
11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
There are a thousand other options for zombie fighting in movies etc. The only way a TV series will work is if there are other parts to the story. Sure it is only 6 episodes a season, but that is still ~5 hours of content compared to ~2 for a zombie blasting flick.

Fair enough, i would like it to stay away from the normal lures that make a good television show a bad one.

Look how fast Heroes went from being the best TV show to the worst... not long.

Off The Crossbar
11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I was wondering how only a select number of zombies made it to the camp? Having that guy who cut his hand off unleash them on camp is an interesting idea but not quite sure how he could have pulled that one off. You would think that with all the gunfire every zombie in the city would be heading towards their camp. Although maybe that will happen next episode and they will have to run for it.

All in all really enjoying the show. I watched episodes 2 and 3 in a row last weekend and ended up having zombie dreams haha

return to the red
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL went a bit ADD there for a sec, eh? ;)

I don't see why you...HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!

Hanni
11-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Would shooting that guy with an arrow that had previously been used to shoot zombie heads be enough to potentially infect him with the zombie bug?

Never thought of that, but you would think, I'm not sure we'll see anymore of the vato's though.

you would think that with all the gunfire every zombie in the city would be heading towards their camp. Although maybe that will happen next episode and they will have to run for it.

In the preview for this Sunday's episode it showed them leaving. Looks like they just figured it was no longer safe and decided to move on rather than wait for more to show up.

HPLovecraft
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
What's with that Noel Gugliemi guy being in every single movie and/or TV show that requires a stereotypical gangster Mexican in it? I mean, literally, every single movie and/or TV show that has some Mexican gangsters has this guy. Even Lost had this guy hanging with Sawyer in prison being -- you guessed it, a Mexican gangster. Man, that guy has that role down to a science.

Ark2
11-25-2010, 07:39 AM
What's with that Noel Gugliemi guy being in every single movie and/or TV show that requires a stereotypical gangster Mexican in it? I mean, literally, every single movie and/or TV show that has some Mexican gangsters has this guy. Even Lost had this guy hanging with Sawyer in prison being -- you guessed it, a Mexican gangster. Man, that guy has that role down to a science.

He wasn't in Breaking Bad. He must have been busy doing something else at the time.

Coys1882
11-25-2010, 07:57 AM
What's with that Noel Gugliemi guy being in every single movie and/or TV show that requires a stereotypical gangster Mexican in it? I mean, literally, every single movie and/or TV show that has some Mexican gangsters has this guy. Even Lost had this guy hanging with Sawyer in prison being -- you guessed it, a Mexican gangster. Man, that guy has that role down to a science.There's the old Asian guy from the Seinfeld episode at the restaurant who fills that niche too. It's quite funny when you think about it.

http://www.angryasianman.com/images/angry/jameshong01.jpg

Off The Crossbar
11-25-2010, 08:37 AM
In the preview for this Sunday's episode it showed them leaving. Looks like they just figured it was no longer safe and decided to move on rather than wait for more to show up.

I wasn't really paying attention to the preview but did it look like they were heading BACK into the city? Maybe to meet up with the tough janitor turned gang leader and help defend some old people

Hanni
11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I didn't notice where it said they were going.

getbak
11-25-2010, 08:53 AM
He wasn't in Breaking Bad. He must have been busy doing something else at the time.
They had Danny Trejo, so they didn't need Gugliemi.

Igottago
11-25-2010, 09:00 AM
The good old ethnic typecast. Keeps those guys working I guess. Seems to happen with a lot of gangster roles (black gangs, italian mafia, mexican gangs, european crime families). You see the same actors in these roles all the time.

I'm glad the whole gang thing turned into something else. Put a more interesting spin on things that way.

I thought the acting was very poor in general in the last episode. Even in the last scene where they get attacked. I guess it must be difficult to pull off a true drama in a world with zombies, which are always kind of humerous no matter what. You can see them trying to walk that line between drama and cheesey horrer flick and it doesn't always work.

Tinordi
11-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't like when the logical gaps are too wide. It's distracting from the story and really tests the 'suspension of disbelief.' In this episode I'm talking about the cop's plan to just march into the gang compound guns blazing to rescue his friend.

His big plan to go save the Korean guy was to just walk in packing heat with three guys against a compound of over 20 guys with guns. Nobody would do that. The fact that it ends up working out does not distract from the fact that that is really bad writing. How was he to know that these guys were actually harmless? He basically signed himself and his buddies to a suicide mission when he has a wife and child waiting back at the camp struggling to survive in a hostile world.

Doesnt. Make. Sense. Really drags down my impression of the show.

TylerSVT
11-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't like when the logical gaps are too wide. It's distracting from the story and really tests the 'suspension of disbelief.' In this episode I'm talking about the cop's plan to just march into the gang compound guns blazing to rescue his friend.

His big plan to go save the Korean guy was to just walk in packing heat with three guys against a compound of over 20 guys with guns. Nobody would do that. The fact that it ends up working out does not distract from the fact that that is really bad writing. How was he to know that these guys were actually harmless? He basically signed himself and his buddies to a suicide mission when he has a wife and child waiting back at the camp struggling to survive in a hostile world.

Doesnt. Make. Sense. Really drags down my impression of the show.

No kidding, i figured he was going to whip out the grenade and use that as his way of peace keeping (like dark knight joker scene)

The last two episodes are critical in keeping viewers watching.

DuffMan
11-25-2010, 06:14 PM
He was going to take out the head guy + the fact he is a bad ass cracka, had me believing.

Kybosh
11-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I hate wide logical gaps in zombie shows.

Mr.Coffee
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
nvm

SeeBass
11-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Somebody was asking why they are not just called zombies.

I believe somebody owns the right to that name.

I think it is marvel but I wouldnt swear to it.

HotHotHeat
11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Last nights episode of the Walking Dead was pretty dull, the shootout loss was so contrived. I think I'm done with this show.

*credit to Mr.coffee.

What do you mean last night? I thought this show was aired on Sundays? Which would make it tonight...

Tonight's episode was great TV. This show is here to stay.

Torture
11-29-2010, 12:51 AM

And tonight was the hatch!

VANFLAMESFAN
11-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I liked the past episode the best. Might as well call it the "moral dillema" episode as it was chock full of them. Some really emotional scenes and that's what sets this show apart from the rest of the zombie genre.

The only thing that I'm annoyed by is that the season is over next week.

On Sundays, I tape my 4 shows and watch them in the order from what I think will be the strongest. Amazing Race, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter and I save Walking Dead for last. I usually can't get on board with zombie stuff, but this show is so much more.

Jbo
11-29-2010, 10:07 AM
My biggest issue is that while I have enjoyed the development of the leads and supporting cast members, there have really not been nearly enough "zombie" in the last two episodes. My understanding is that the comic is guilty of this as well.

It sucks because the first couple episodes has some amazing moments (First waking up, boarded up in the house, putting on the zombie suits and walking to the car), but since getting to the camp the show has slowed way way down.

Do I really need to have a sub story of how a guy was abusing his wife or 20 friggin minutes of the girl crying over her zombie sister?

I do love the show though and will continue watching

SeeBass
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
^I'm with you.

I dont really care about character development I just want to see some Zombie action.

Teh_Bandwagoner
11-29-2010, 10:44 AM
^I'm with you.

I dont really care about character development I just want to see some Zombie action.

You should care. My gf has been on a zombie movie binge since the Walking Dead, and I've watch some pretty lame zombie movies recently.

If you just want zombies and gore , no real story, just zombies and gore, watch the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. Blah.

burn_this_city
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm glad theres some semblence of a storyline. Watching zombies getting capped continously loses its lustre after a while. I'm impressed with the characters so far, the show could be a lot worse considering the concept.

On a side note, this show is starting to haunt me in my sleep.

Redliner
11-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I just hope they're not heading down the government conspiracy path. That dude at the CDC was keeping an e-log for something called "Operation Wildfire", which to me smacks of the beginnings of the evil cover-up. The show has been great up to this point, so I really hope they aren't going to ruin it by going all X-files.