PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire-The Show to Watch This Fall

Pages : [1] 2 3

VANFLAMESFAN
09-14-2010, 11:15 PM
So I got my hands on HBO screener DVD's and watched the first 4 episodes of the new HBO series, Boardwalk Empire. There's plenty of hype surrounding this and it's well deserved. Terence WInter, writer for Sopranos is involved and the big name, Martin Scorsese is attached to the show as well. He directs the first episode. Steve Buscemi is the lead, so there's plenty of good names behind this show.

This will be a well discussed show, so it deserves its own thread. Here's a trailer for those who are not familiar with it.

44rKiUaY7kI

I was hooked after Episode One. Seriously hooked. It's a 75 minute episode and they pack a lot into it. I'm no historian or know a lot of this era by any means, but you get the feeling that the show is pretty authentic. The sets, the clothing, the music, the language, everything seems pretty real. The show has got some great style, is very violent but more importantly, very slick and well crafted.

My main concern about this show was whether or not Steve Buscemi could pull off the "Kingpin" type role. He's never really been that kind of guy. I wasn't sure if I would believe him as being the tough guy. After watching the first four episodes, I realize they made the right choice. The character he plays, Nucky Thompson is not like a Tony Soprano, he's not a Jimmy Conway. Nucky is a sleazeball with some class if that makes any sense. He's got two lives. One as city treasurer and one as a powerful man who dabbles in bootlegging, gambling and prostitution.

The stories revolve around Nucky, but some of the supporting characters are very strong as well. Look out for Jimmy, one of Nucky's "soldiers" who just came back from the war, who wants to get back in the business right away. Also, the character of Margaret. An Irish immigrant who comes to Nucky for help with her abusive husband. In episodes 2-4, you see a lot of her and she's a very interesting character. Also, you see Al Capone as a common thug, before he becomes the legend we know him as now. Very cool stuff.

edit...oh and those fans of HBO's The Wire will be happy to know that Michael K Williams is in it. Definitely a different character from his iconic role on the Wire as Omar.

This show will be a big hit and will generate a lot of buzz and I woudln't be surprised if it cleans up at the Emmy's next year. It will have to beat out Mad Men, which won't be easy(Mad Men has been very good this season)), but from what I've seen, it's definitely in the conversation about Best Drama.

Boblobla
09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
DAMMIT, I thought this looked good too.

Ducay
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Ha, I might give this a try, but as with Breaking Bad and Hal, it might take a bit of work for me to believe Buscemi outside of his typecast role

d_phaneuf
09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
been looking forward to this ever since the first trailer came out 6 or 7 months ago and the reviews have been outstanding

Bob
09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Does HBO ever make bad shows anymore?

Acey
09-15-2010, 01:30 PM

True Blood

Komskies
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Has anyone been able to set a series recording in their PVR yet? I tried a few days ago and wasn't able to locate the show.

malcolmk14
09-15-2010, 01:38 PM
I am so excited for this show to start. Been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer almost a year ago.

Between this, season 5 of Dexter, season 2 of Eastbound & Down, and season 4 of mad men, my sunday nights/mondays are going to be full for the next little while.

malcolmk14
09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
True Blood

I haven't given True Blood a fair shot (watched the pilot), but most of what I've heard has been positive.

I was thinking about watching it with the lady friend, but my TV schedule is pretty full already...

Go ahead, convince me not to!

Acey
09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Boardwalk pilot cost $50 million, previous most expensive pilot was Lost... $12 million.

malcolmk14
09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Boardwalk pilot cost $50 million, previous most expensive pilot was Lost... $12 million.

According to Variety it was $18M.

The Wall Street Journal pegged it closer to $30M.

Where did you see the $50M number?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/08/hbos-boardwalk-empire-pilot-cost-18-million/59436

parch
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I just saw the trailer for this last night. It looks wicked! When is it on??

BlAcKNoVa
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Looks awesome. Thanks for posting about it, never heard about it until now. Looking forward to watching it!

afc wimbledon
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I haven't given True Blood a fair shot (watched the pilot), but most of what I've heard has been positive.

I was thinking about watching it with the lady friend, but my TV schedule is pretty full already...

Go ahead, convince me not to!

The up side is you will probably get shagged, the down side is she will be screaming 'bite me Eric' throughout.

Acey
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
According to Variety it was $18M.

The Wall Street Journal pegged it closer to $30M.

Where did you see the $50M number?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/08/hbos-boardwalk-empire-pilot-cost-18-million/59436

Oh yeah, my bad... misread an article. I knew that sounded ridiculous, probably $50 million for the season. I'll see if this can dethrone Breaking Bad as the best show on TV.

d_phaneuf
09-15-2010, 01:59 PM

The last few years for HBO have been rough, their only real hit has been True Blood

Entourage doesn't bring in big ratings anymore, so they need this show to be huge

and I think it will

Oh yeah, my bad... misread an article. I knew that sounded ridiculous, probably $50 million for the season. I'll see if this can dethrone Breaking Bad as the best show on TV.

If it can do that I will be extremely impressed, the past 2 seasons of Breaking Bad have I think been 2 of the best seasons of any tv show ever

VANFLAMESFAN
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Has anyone been able to set a series recording in their PVR yet? I tried a few days ago and wasn't able to locate the show.

I was having those issues yesterday, but my Shaw PVR has HBO Canada's listings for the next 14 days or so, and I was able to start my series record for Boardwalk.

This Sunday at 8pm Pacific.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
The last few years for HBO have been rough, their only real hit has been True Blood

Entourage doesn't bring in big ratings anymore, so they need this show to be huge

and I think it will

That doesn't mean they make bad shows. Just because a show is not a huge hit doesn't make it bad.

afc wimbledon
09-15-2010, 02:02 PM

I worry when a show is hugely hyped and then its release gets held back, I suspect this may turn out to be a bit of a dog.

d_phaneuf
09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
That doesn't mean they make bad shows. Just because a show is not a huge hit doesn't make it bad.

true, but they also haven't made well received shows the last few years

Hung is panned by critics, Entourage has been the last few years (even though I liked it during that time), I liked How to make it in America as well but I don't think it got a lot of press from critics

John from Cincinnati was very bad I thought

They used to be the network of the "best" shows on TV when it had the Sopranos, the Wire, Six Feet Under

now AMC has Mad Men, Breaking Bad (and Rubicon which has potential)

Showtime has Dexter

The best show they have in terms of quality is probably True Blood, but even that has almost as many detractors as it does people who like it

HBO has been struggling lately was the only point I was trying to make

malcolmk14
09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I have only seen the first four episodes of Treme but it is pretty promising so far.

Bored to Death was ok, but not quite good enough to hold me for an entire season. Might get back to it at some point though.

And Curb Your Enthusiasm IMO is the funniest show on television.

Seasons 5 and 6 of Entourage were poor but Season 7 redeemed it I thought. In any case there are only 6 more episodes to go and then that show's being turfed.

Other than that though, yeah HBO is lacking a little. Hopefully Boardwalk Empire and Luck (January premiere, Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte) are able to pick up the slack a little. Season 2 of Eastbound & Down also shows a little promise.

AMC is doing pretty well right now with Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Showtime has Dexter, Weeds (which I don't particularly like but a lot of people do), and Californication.

Hell, even FX has Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me, Justified, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

d_phaneuf
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM
I forgot Curb cause it hasn't been on in so long, Curb is outstanding

Acey
09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
With BB ineligible at next year's Emmy's, pretty much every award is Boardwalk Empire's... if they want it.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-15-2010, 02:37 PM
With BB ineligible at next year's Emmy's, pretty much every award is Boardwalk Empire's... if they want it.

Mad Men might have something to say about that. They've won Best Drama three years in a row and this season has been nothing short of amazing. Some critics calling the episode two weeks ago one of the best hours in TV history.

BB not being eligible means that the actor and supporting actor categories will have different winners. But given what Jon Hamm has done this season on Mad Men, he's almost a shoe in for Best Actor.

Acey
09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeh. I'm tired of Mad Men winning everything. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastically made show... but enough already.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeh. I'm tired of Mad Men winning everything. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastically made show... but enough already.

Un thanks to that post. Mad Men deserves all the accolades it gets and probably deserves some more.

starseed
09-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Steve Buscemi is an excellent actor. I may check this out.

cKy
09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I tried watching Mad Men when it came out, besides red head with the super boobs, I couldnt get into it. This though, looks very promising.

Igottago
09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
The Sopranos almost ruined television for me. I don't know if I'll ever enjoy a tv show on so many levels as much as that one.

Entourage and Curb are pretty damn good though.

All those non HBO shows don't quite grab me.

I have high hopes for Boardwalk Empire.

Acey
09-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Oddly enough my favourite show ever wasn't even on cable. Third Watch on NBC. No police drama has even come close to that brilliance. As of late I'm liking shows like Covert Affairs, Justified, etc... a sort of genre I was never previously interested in.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Oddly enough my favourite show ever wasn't even on cable. Third Watch on NBC. No police drama has even come close to that brilliance. As of late I'm liking shows like Covert Affairs, Justified, etc... a sort of genre I was never previously interested in.

I'll take The Wire and the Shield over Third Watch as top police drama in a heartbeat. Third Watch had its charm, but IMO, it was far from brilliant. Pretty formulaic and cliche.

Barnes
09-16-2010, 03:26 PM
This show looks amazing. Sunday Night is going to break my PVR. Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Mad Men, Bored to Death, Eastbound and Down, Family Guy, Cleveland Show.

There is also a new Sunday HBO show called Call Me Fitz which looks pretty good.

MKEZS6DoX3E

VANFLAMESFAN
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Caught the premiere of Call Me Fitz as well. It's funny. Don't think I'll be hooked by it, but it's worth a peek.

nik-
09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
It appears that Call Me Fitz is a Canadian made show. I was going to say it looked like Jason Priestley's attempt at his own Californication, but I'll give it a shot to try and support some Canadian shows.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Just a reminder, Boardwalk Empire premieres tonight on HBO and HBO Canada.

Looking forward to seeing some repsonse. This show is going to be a huge hit.

Ducay
09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
This guy is a total kingpin in the making ;)

jMo_HcRBnUY

SoulOfTheFlame
09-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Anyone else notice OMAR from The Wire in that trailer?

That guy plays an unreal Gangsta!

Bunk
09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
true, but they also haven't made well received shows the last few years

Hung is panned by critics, Entourage has been the last few years (even though I liked it during that time), I liked How to make it in America as well but I don't think it got a lot of press from critics

John from Cincinnati was very bad I thought

They used to be the network of the "best" shows on TV when it had the Sopranos, the Wire, Six Feet Under

now AMC has Mad Men, Breaking Bad (and Rubicon which has potential)

Showtime has Dexter

The best show they have in terms of quality is probably True Blood, but even that has almost as many detractors as it does people who like it

HBO has been struggling lately was the only point I was trying to make

I agree, HBO's hey days were 4-5 years ago when Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Curb etc were all on.

They've been without a great flagship Drama for a while now. Shows like Treme (disappointing) have really failed to carry that torch and they've been filling the gaps with quirky comedies like Flight of the Concords and the Ricky Gervais Show (both excellent). Of course, they still have Curb, which is my favourite comedy ever.

I'd say AMC is on the biggest roll right now with Mad Men and Breaking Bad - Rubicon is also quite good too.

This show looks really promising.

Acey
09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
This might be the show that makes me cave in and get HBO.

Vena
09-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Awesome episode. The attention to detail was amazing.

Must watch again.

RW99
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, not a bad premiere. The plot with Lucky and that pregnant woman was interesting.

Komskies
09-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Yeah, not a bad premiere. The plot with Lucky and that pregnant woman was interesting.

You mean Nucky right? Not Lucky Luciano.

burn_baby_burn
09-20-2010, 08:50 AM
You mean Nucky right? Not Lucky Luciano.

Ha! RW99 is like the FBI agent who couldn't tell the difference between Lucky, Nucky, Rothstien. On the phone in the hotel lobby. :D

Komskies
09-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Ha! RW99 is like the FBI agent who couldn't tell the difference between Lucky, Nucky, Rothstien. On the phone in the hotel lobby. :D

Haha ya, that scene was great.

"Does he look big to you?"

calumniate
09-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I'll have to try and watch it again.. honestly I was a little disappointed? But who knows at this point. I ended up watching Cheech and Chong instead, haha. Perhaps it was my state of mind.

Knut
09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I really enjoyed the pilot. It took me some time to get used to Buscemi in the role, but by the end I thought he was perfectly suited for the role. Michael Shannon is great as usual, but i never really liked Michael Pitt's constant frown. Pitt just seems weird in everything he does.

North East Goon
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Loved the premiere, this will become must watch for me.

Slava
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I really want to like this, but I don't know if I will keep watching. It's a little slow if that is the best way to put it. I had an exhausting day and was really tired....and ashamed to say I got lost. I have no real clue why they whacked the Italian in Chicago? I feel kind of dumb...surely someone else was as lost as I was at some points?

Finny61
09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BSp7gqRa8k0pvM:http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/tommyknocker/Steve.jpg&t=1

"Sausage McMuffin"...sorry but this character always come to mind when I see Buscemi.

nik-
09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I really want to like this, but I don't know if I will keep watching. It's a little slow if that is the best way to put it. I had an exhausting day and was really tired....and ashamed to say I got lost. I have no real clue why they whacked the Italian in Chicago? I feel kind of dumb...surely someone else was as lost as I was at some points?

You thought that episode was slow?! :blink:

Maybe I've just been watching too much Rubicon and Mad Men, but so much stuff happened in that hour plus of TV, not sure what you found slow.

I understand why you were lost with the amount of people they introduced. Others have complained about it too, it apparently gets easier in upcoming episodes. Luckily I am familiar with all the people introduced, so that definitely helped.

Explanation on the guy in Chicago in white if you're interested.
That was Big Jim Colosimo, Johnny Torrio's boss. Johnny Torrio was the mentor of Al Capone. Colosimo was old school and didn't want to go into prohibition, but Torrio did, so they killed him.

In all, I loved ... LOVED that premiere. Love the Scorsese style and I love that they're getting right into the meat and potatoes of prohibition. It's probably gonna be tough to match that episode visually, but man, I was excited for this series, and after that first episode, I'm beyond excited.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-20-2010, 11:27 PM
^^^yeah, slow would be the last word I would use to describe last night's premiere. They packed a lot into it. I've seen the next three episodes and while I think the pilot is the best, the next three don't really let up either.

Off topic, what do ya think of Rubicon?? It took me a few episodes, but now I'm totally into it. A solid complex thriller.

nik-
09-20-2010, 11:35 PM
^^^yeah, slow would be the last word I would use to describe last night's premiere. They packed a lot into it. I've seen the next three episodes and while I think the pilot is the best, the next three don't really let up either.

Off topic, what do ya think of Rubicon?? It took me a few episodes, but now I'm totally into it. A solid complex thriller.

I'm totally into it. I knew it was going to be a crawler when I came in, so I was prepared. The overall mystery is cool, but I'm also enjoying a peek into the day to day of what these people do. I like the characters as well. Also, I'm happy they brought in the girl who played Lena Basilone in the Pacific to be Will's neighbour ... she's a fox.

I hope it continues, the ratings have been pretty poor.

Rathji
09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
I tried watching this with the wife and it didn't go well.

I will try watching it when I am not distracted and see if it is better.

malcolmk14
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Picked up for a second season as per Entertainment Weekly!

Vena
09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
So, good episode last night. A lot more character development. It's good having the cop explain what's going on. Feel like I caught up with some of the stuff the pilot was referencing.

SportsJunky
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Also, more boobies on screen then you could shake a stick at in last night's episode. I tried.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Not too many posts in this thread and nothing in awhile. Does that mean people here don't like it?? I just finished watching Sunday's episode and I'm still into the show for sure. What we all saw coming with Nucky and Margaret finally happened, but I didn't think it would happen like that.

I like the supporting characters in this show a lot more than Nucky. Margaret is fantastic, Jimmy's great, but I think Agent Van Alden is my favorite. Total prick, total hard ass, doesn't put up with crap from anyone.

Anyone still watching Boardwalk??

Komskies
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I've been watching religiously. Last Sunday's episode was the best yet. Eli getting hammered and making a fool of himself, Pearl and her unfortunate demise. Mrs. Darmody is a total MILF (GILF I guess it would be, so hot). Al Capone is a badass. It took me a few episodes to realize that Al is played by Stephen Graham (Tommy from Snatch)

Hanni
10-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Mrs. Darmody is the same actress who played the girlfriend in Rounders, too lazy to imdb it. I've been watching, the characters are really what is keeping me watching. I've found the story is moving a little slow for my taste.

Coys1882
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Mrs. Darmody is the same actress who played the girlfriend in Rounders, too lazy to imdb it. I've been watching, the characters are really what is keeping me watching. I've found the story is moving a little slow for my taste.I think her name is Gretchen Mol.

Vena
10-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I love the show. Watch it every week. The last two episodes have been outstanding. Loving the whole time period.

Chalky is great. His monologue about his father was quite memorable.

Ark2
10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Excellent show. It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but now it's getting pretty interesting.

Slava
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
I stuck with it, and like it more and more. I missed the episode this week though!

Hemi-Cuda
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
i loved Chalky's line of "There comes a point to where if a man keep sticking to his story, he's telling the truth", then showing the severed finger of the KKK guy

trackercowe
10-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Finally started watching Boardwalk. Seems like another top notch HBO show. Maybe it will take a season or two to start getting some of the attention previous HBO shows did. I still can't even force my friends to check out "The Wire", which is pretty sad.

I guess the only issue I have is that it's somewhat predictable, especially when compared to a show like the Sopranos.

I like Michael Pitt. He was great in "The Dreamers", a few years ago.

Also found it very interesting that Rothstein was the guy who helped fix the World Series.

Oh, and the opening music is amazing. Added it to my IPod tonight.

jammies
10-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm really liking it. Buscemi is brilliant as always.

Ark2
10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
I love this show. Tonight's episode was fanastic. I'm really glad that I stuck it out when the series was a bit slower earlier on.

username
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Every week this show gets better....

Bring_Back_Shantz
11-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Finally started watching Boardwalk. Seems like another top notch HBO show. Maybe it will take a season or two to start getting some of the attention previous HBO shows did. I still can't even force my friends to check out "The Wire", which is pretty sad.

I guess the only issue I have is that it's somewhat predictable, especially when compared to a show like the Sopranos.

I like Michael Pitt. He was great in "The Dreamers", a few years ago.

Also found it very interesting that Rothstein was the guy who helped fix the World Series.

Oh, and the opening music is amazing. Added it to my IPod tonight.

Well considering one is based (rather losely I would imagine) on real people and real events, and the other is complete fiction, that's kind of to be expected.

That being said, I'm really liking this show too.

Vena
11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Another good episode. Van Alden is the creepiest character of them all, oddly enough.

d_phaneuf
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
So with the season finale this weekend how is everybody liking the show?

I think it's great, first few episodes were a little on the slow side but they set up the characters really well. And ever since Jimmy went to Chicago the show has been great in every episode

Knut
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Van Alden is a great character. He is really starting to crack and go pyschotic.

Komskies
12-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Ya, Van Alden lost it last week. It's going to be interesting to see Eli's response to being canned by his brother.

RW99
12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, definitely quite a few twists to set up the finale. Van Alden, Eli, Margret, Jimmy and his wife. I really hope they don't leave too much hanging off the finale.

Igottago
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
So many interesting characters in this show, which is what makes it so good. I really like the guy with half a face, and I think Michael Pitt is the star of this show, he's a good actor. Pretty well acted show for the most part. The guy that plays Arnold Rothstein is good as well. The only small criticism is sometimes I actually find some of Steve Buschemi's dialogue a bit forced and unnatural, but only on occassion. Overall a pretty awesome show, can't wait to see what the season finale has in store.

Hanni
12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Agree with the last few posts, all I have to add is how hot is Gretchen Mol (Jimmy's mom)

Barnes
12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Season finale already?

Komskies
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I stuck with it, and like it more and more. I missed the episode this week though!

This is probably far too late, but they usually air the episode several times through the week.

Additionally if you are on Shaw, you can go into your Video On Demand and go into Movie Central > TV, and you can find the latest few episodes for quite a few shows. Boardwalk, Madmen, etc.

Stranger
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I really like Richard Harrow. (The man with half a face.) I hope he has a bigger role in the next season, if he makes it out of the finale. He's John Huston's grandson and nephew of Angelica Huston.

There are quite a few actors in this show that I would have never expected to be so good.

Komskies
12-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Quite a way to finish the season off, it just got better and better with each episode. Looks like S2 will start with a bang (in more ways than one).

I wonder what kind of plot Jimmy, Eli, and the Commodore are hatching.

Val Alden creeps me right the 'eff out. I'm about 90% sure he's going to kill a now pregnant Lucy Danziger.

North East Goon
12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I smell Emmy for the Van Alden character! The last episode was a little slow for my taste, but not bad by any means.

mac_82
12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Great ending to the first season last night. So glad I watched it instead of the 3rd period of the Flames-Hawks game last night.

GGG
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I still don't know if I like this show or not. I am going to keep watching it and there are definitely parts of the show I like but it just seems to move at an archaic pace. Maybe its the cinematography which while looking good grinds the continuity to a halt or the period things like Hodini's brother or the gay review singer that seems to be filler.

d_phaneuf
12-07-2010, 01:51 AM
The show reminds me of breaking bad in that it seems to get better every episode

I thought it was fantastic, it had a type of cliffhanger but not the kind that annoys you, just that I can't wait for it to come back

it's in my top 5 favorite current tv shows

North East Goon
12-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I thought gay people werent invented until the 80's? :D

Ducay
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Love the show; but I feel like the whole Jimmy/Eli/Old Dude plot thing at the end was a bit forced. Everyone goes from fine and happy with Nucky to "LETS PLOT AGAINST HIM" in a matter or minutes. I understand they needed that as a segway to draw you into next season, but come on, that was just poorly done.

GreenTeaFrapp
12-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Love the show; but I feel like the whole Jimmy/Eli/Old Dude plot thing at the end was a bit forced. Everyone goes from fine and happy with Nucky to "LETS PLOT AGAINST HIM" in a matter or minutes. I understand they needed that as a segway to draw you into next season, but come on, that was just poorly done.

I don't think it was forced at all and they had been sowing the seeds of dissent against Nucky for quite some time now. Jimmy has had issues with Nucky since the first episode. Eli has felt like he's been in Nucky's shadow going back to when he did the speech that bombed. Jimmy's dad clearly has grown annoyed at Nucky's self-absorbed ways when he blurted out that he was dying while Nucky was rambling on about his own problems.

DuffMan
12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I just watched all of this during the last week, and saw the last episode last night. I'm not sure but my PVR stopped before the credits were running, so I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.
When my pvr stopped, it was the guy on the bar singing.

Does anyone remember if that was it.

malcolmk14
12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
There was about 3 1/2 minutes left but nothing substantial.

Roof-Daddy
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
No surprise that people are starting to turn on Nucky. The way he treats his subordinates is deplorable. Just look at the way Nucky treats his little servant. He still treated the guy like crap after he saved his life in that one episode.

Oliwa
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Awesome episode! Van Alden is an awesome character.

Mike F
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Wow, had no idea it was back! Very excited.

Ducay
09-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Totally forgot this started, will have to catch it tomorrow!

Winsor_Pilates
09-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Completely snuck up on me but so excited this is back.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Strong premiere.

Loved the shot of Van Alden's wife getting turned on by the raid to the headboard banging on the hotel room wall, only to show Van Alden testing out the bed's springs. That and Nucky's speeches to the whites and blacks were awesome.

I hope this show lives up to its great potential. I felt Season One had great moments, but often lacked a certain intensity. I found the show to be more of a period piece than anything else in Season one. I thought the gangster storylines weren't explored as much as I would have liked, or at the very least, what I expected.

I hope we see more Rothstein, Capone, Luciano in Season Two.

Coys1882
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I really liked the scene where Jimmy finally opens the gift from Nucky. A pivotal moment in the season coming when he puts it in the closet instead of on display.

BlAcKNoVa
09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Jimmy's mom scares me.

I didn't get the scene with Jimmy and the guy who wears the mask to cover part of his face. Jimmy told him he doesn't have to feel embarassed to eat with them. He seemed to be piling up the potatoes or whatever they were, then Jimmy told him to take a couple biscuits with him.

Can anyone enlighten me? lol Did he not want to take the mask off or..didn't like the food *confused*

Was a pretty good episode though. Van Alden is awesome.

For a second I thought the actor that plays Chalky was gonna die. That would've been the second sudden and surprising death scene he's had (the other being from The Wire series).

Barnes
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Jimmy's mom scares me.

I didn't get the scene with Jimmy and the guy who wears the mask to cover part of his face. Jimmy told him he doesn't have to feel embarassed to eat with them. He seemed to be piling up the potatoes or whatever they were, then Jimmy told him to take a couple biscuits with him.

Can anyone enlighten me? lol Did he not want to take the mask off or..didn't like the food *confused*

For a second I thought the actor that plays Chalky was gonna die. That would've been the second sudden and surprising death scene he's had (the other being from The Wire series).

Re: spoiler

He is also playing the new bio teacher in community this year. Hopefully they do a paintball episode again...

The spoiler is The Wire related. Don't read it if you haven't watched the whole thing.

BlackEleven
09-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Jimmy's mom scares me.

I thought it was because he probably can't eat properly with half a mouth. A lot of food probably falls out when he's eating it, or maybe he has to mash everything up into a paste to eat it. I just assumed it was something that others would consider to be distasteful. At least he doesn't have to do an insulin shot at the table though.

Vena
10-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Tonight's episode was pretty solid. I love Owen Sleater. Bad ass character.

Winsor_Pilates
10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Tonight's episode was pretty solid. I love Owen Sleater. Bad ass character.
Yeah, that was great. His character adds the perfect needed muscle to Nucky's side. The scene near the end was awesome, had me damn excited for what's to come.
I love this show

VANFLAMESFAN
10-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Just watched it. Very solid episode. Nucky's line to Jimmy about the Commodore picking his mother from the line was a "oh sith" moment for me.

I may be alone in this one, but to me the most interesting character has always been Margaret Schroeder. I just love where she was in EP1 to where she is now. Awesome transformation.

malcolmk14
10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Fantastic episode last week. Can't wait for tonight. I love this show.

Winsor_Pilates
10-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I may be alone in this one, but to me the most interesting character has always been Margaret Schroeder. I just love where she was in EP1 to where she is now. Awesome transformation.
Completely agree.
There's so many great and interesting characters in this show and none of them have static roles. This show is the best I know of right now for developing characters with depth and growth as the episodes pass. It's what makes the show as good as it is.
I imagine after 3-4 seasons, we'll be looking back at characters like Jimmy & Al Capone and it will be like you're watching different people.

DuffMan
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I bet Eli goes back to Nucky's side

Roof-Daddy
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I bet Eli goes back to Nucky's side

You were right, he tried. Didn't work out very well for him......or maybe it did. Despite the Commodore having a stroke, that side is gaining some serious momentum.

Pretty good episode tonight.

Nucky doesn't seem to have one single person in his life who is loyal to him, except that servant of his.....and he treats that guy worse than he treats anybody it seems.

Anybody still watching?

Knut
11-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Fantastic episode tonight.

This show has me hooked.

Komskies
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
It seems to get better by the week.

Owen Slater... total badass.

RW99
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
There was an episode last night? Stupid Shaw PVR.

rohara66
11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm hooked.... Sunday nights are awesome.... Boardwalk Empire then Dexter!

So many story lines going on right now! How many more episodes this season?

Roof-Daddy
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm hooked.... Sunday nights are awesome.... Boardwalk Empire then Dexter!

So many story lines going on right now! How many more episodes this season?

5 more episodes this season.

Really looking forward to how this shakes out. Nucky is really screwed right now. Haven't a clue how he might get out of this situation, or if he even will.

rohara66
11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
WTF is going on with Van Alden?

I thought Nucky was going down the path of blackmailing him to help his case or something.... obviously that didn't happen. Perhaps it will though, too convenient that their sharing offices.

Komskies
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm still waiting for Van Alden to snap and go on a homicidal rampage.

Knut
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
WTF is going on with Van Alden?

I thought Nucky was going down the path of blackmailing him to help his case or something.... obviously that didn't happen. Perhaps it will though, too convenient that their sharing offices.

I think he was close to being bought by Nucky, but when he got home to find his babies-Momma gone he decided to turn all the files over on Nucky to the assistant attorney general. I am just curious if that was a ploy to get himself closer to her to do the information gathering.

Komskies
11-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh and by the way, Jimmy's mom, Mrs. Darmody, is the MILF of all MILFs.

Ducay
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh and by the way, Jimmy's mom, Mrs. Darmody, is the MILF of all MILFs.

She's too pedo/incestual to find attractive; totally grosses me out. I'd rather be subjected to naked Amy Winhou....I mean Lucy.

Wicked intense episode; I assume Jimmy went up to Nucky just before the shooting since he thought he'd be dead; however, serious issues for Jimmy now that Nucky knows who was behind it.

Roof-Daddy
11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
She's too pedo/incestual to find attractive; totally grosses me out. I'd rather be subjected to naked Amy Winhou....I mean Lucy.

Wicked intense episode; I assume Jimmy went up to Nucky just before the shooting since he thought he'd be dead; however, serious issues for Jimmy now that Nucky knows who was behind it.

Yeah, that's going to be a wake up call for Nucky. Up until now I don't think he ever thought his life was in danger. He just thought he had to weasel out of jail time.

Hopefully he loads up and comes back guns a-blazin'.

Sucks for him though, that his little woman decided to bone his #1 gun Owen.

That can't be good either.

Winsor_Pilates
11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I think he was close to being bought by Nucky, but when he got home to find his babies-Momma gone he decided to turn all the files over on Nucky to the assistant attorney general. I am just curious if that was a ploy to get himself closer to her to do the information gathering.
I'm thinking he still is being bought by Nucky, and the files he gave her are all part of the plan, not actually designed to help the case against Nucky.

habernac
11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
damn, sounds like I gave up on this too early

Knut
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
damn, sounds like I gave up on this too early

Yeah... the only ####ty thing about the show is having to pause it 10 times an episode to remind my wife about what happened in the past so she knows what is going on.

rohara66
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking he still is being bought by Nucky, and the files he gave her are all part of the plan, not actually designed to help the case against Nucky.

I agree.

Yeah... the only ####ty thing about the show is having to pause it 10 times an episode to remind my wife about what happened in the past so she knows what is going on.

I find myself having to think pretty hard about whats going on too haha.... almost too many story lines going on at once to keep track of. Not to mention they drop them for a couple episodes (ie: Chalky White or Eli killing) only to bring them back at some point.

Roof-Daddy
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I find myself having to think pretty hard about whats going on too haha.... almost too many story lines going on at once to keep track of. Not to mention they drop them for a couple episodes (ie: Chalky White or Eli killing) only to bring them back at some point.

Yeah. Remonds me a lot of The Sopranos. Stick with the main character story lines from episode to episode, but also have decent side stories that come and go from episode to episode.

The character development in this show is outstanding as well. They really let you get to know all the characters without boring the hell out of you.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Just watched Sunday's episode. Awesome stuff. Loving this season so far.

nik-
11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah. Remonds me a lot of The Sopranos. Stick with the main character story lines from episode to episode, but also have decent side stories that come and go from episode to episode.

The character development in this show is outstanding as well. They really let you get to know all the characters without boring the hell out of you.

except in Boardwalk there's not an awful lot of horrible fluff like there was in the Sopranos in the later seasons.

Roof-Daddy
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
except in Boardwalk there's not an awful lot of horrible fluff like there was in the Sopranos in the later seasons.

Horrible fluff?

Loved that show to death, so I am biased, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Horrible fluff?

Loved that show to death, so I am biased, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Yeah, I'm not sure what horrible fluff he was referring to either. If anything, there was some cheesy-cliche mob movie fluff in the early seasons, but in the later seasons? Not that I can think of.

It's hard to beat the Sopranos in my book.

rohara66
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
That was an awesome episode!

Ducay
11-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Pretty awesome episode; glad to see things might be starting to turn in Nucky's direction (or are in the works) and things are going downhill for Jimmy. Plus, Van Alden found a nice lady to care for the kid, so all in all, a pretty feel good episode. (I don't think anyone got shot/murdered for once!)

Coys1882
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Interested to see what's in store in Belfast, something with the IRA I assume.

Roof-Daddy
11-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Love the way Nucky is going about this. Lull his opposition into thinking he's given up. Good bit of advice from Rothstein. Jimmy not looking like he's enjoying the responsibilities that go with being top dog.

Really looking forward to rest of this season. There is going to be plenty of blood shed, and some main characters likely aren't going to make it much further.

Next episode is called "Battle of the Century". Sounds promising.

Roof-Daddy
11-27-2011, 10:01 PM
First an awesome episode of The Walking Dead, and then a killer episode of Boardwalk Empire.

Jimmy is a disaster as boss, and he got his wife killed.

Ducay
12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Holy moley what a crazy intense episode; so much happened in terms of story progression. So wait, just to confirm (as I semi-skipped through due to grossness), Jimmy joined the Army because he did his mom?

nik-
12-04-2011, 11:37 PM
That was probably the creepiest hour of TV I've ever seen.

RougeUnderoos
12-05-2011, 12:35 AM
That was probably the creepiest hour of TV I've ever seen.

CRINGE! That whole hour was nails on the chalkboard.

"They aren't going to, are they? Are they? Oh no, THEY ARE!"

You could see it from a mile away, but still.

That show sure keeps you on your toes. I thought it would be about Mr. Half-face and Jimmy killing the butcher.

Hemi-Cuda
12-05-2011, 12:51 AM
the last 2 episodes have been nuts, so many different things are going on. Jimmy's wife and father are dead, he ####ed his mom, Van Alden is a fugitive, and it looks like the end between Nucky and Margaret. this show is not content with playing it safe, that's for sure. the plot has jumped so far ahead it's easy to forget that this is only the 2nd season

and i knew that Jimmy's relationship with his mom was "different", you could just see it in how she acted from the first episode that there was something more there

Ducay
12-05-2011, 07:58 AM
and i knew that Jimmy's relationship with his mom was "different", you could just see it in how she acted from the first episode that there was something more there

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his mom hook up with his wife as well back in the first season? Talk about creepy....

Hemi-Cuda
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his mom hook up with his wife as well back in the first season? Talk about creepy....

i would have definitely remember so if that were the case. i'm still a little sad that the cute lesbian is dead, but she did have a lot of slow and pointless scenes so in the end it's good

VANFLAMESFAN
12-06-2011, 12:39 AM
That Jimmy is one bad mother f#$%er.

Roof-Daddy
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Been a great season so far.

Can't believe next week is already the season finale.

Should be an exciting episode.

North East Goon
12-06-2011, 07:47 AM
That wasnt the season finale? I thought for sure that would be, with all the stuff going down.

Jbo
12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree with what has been said.

Great show, but damn. That was easily the most unconfortable scene I have seen on TV in recent memory.

JimmytheT
12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
What a wrap to season 2: the whole season had you rooting for Nucky, then one episode completely turns your feelings around about his character.
Looking forward to Season 3

VANFLAMESFAN
12-11-2011, 10:16 PM
That was damn good tv.

Roof-Daddy
12-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I had a feeling that episode was going to end that way.

Too bad Eli made it out alive. That guy is a sniveling, whiny, jealous fool.

Nucky is gonna be piiiiiissed when he finds out what Margaret did with that deed.

Next season can't start soon enough.

Ducay
12-11-2011, 11:30 PM
The second he transferred the deed to her I knew it would end up with the Church. Interesting to see what happens next; perhaps since they're married he can cancel it or something.

Another crazy intense episode; really leaves the door open to the plot line for next season.

nik-
12-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Sheesh. I don't know how I feel about it. The whole show has been these two entities rotating around each other and now one is gone and realistically it does eliminate a large segment of the show.

It will be interesting to see how they fill that void.

Putting Van Alden in Capone's town is pretty funny too.

d_phaneuf
12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Ya that's what is a bit worrisome

It's a great show, and I am glad it had the balls to do that, but I don't know if it makes the show better going forward

Probably one of the best season finales I can remember though

calumniate
12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
When does Al start tommy gunning people up? Season 3? Anyway, haven't seen the last episode so tried to glance over the last few posts.

Bring_Back_Shantz
12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Ah, I forgot about Capone.
I'm willing to guess he'll be a much larger player in season 3.
Woo Hoo!

Knut
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Van Alden in Cicero, illinois is interesting as that is Where Capone is based in a few years from the timeline in the show. I think both of these guys may get some prominent parts soon.

What an amazing finale that was. It was setting up like that all season, and if they had not done it would have been a bit of a cop out.

DuffMan
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm wondering if the Priest gets a bigger role now that Margaret is giving him lots of money and now the land that is worth lots. He either gives it back quick, gets shot, or has a much bigger role.

Also really liked the Butcher in the last few episodes.

Hemi-Cuda
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
even when Nucky had the gun to James' head i didn't think he'd actually go through with it, then bam. kind of put that "sincere" talk he had with Margaret in a new light

i've never seen a show kill off such a big character so early in the series. i hope they know what they're doing moving forward

KTrain
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
i've never seen a show kill off such a big character so early in the series. i hope they know what they're doing moving forward

Game of Thrones thinks it's cute that they waited till the second season...

BlackEleven
12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm glad it ended the way it did. I hate it when shows trying to build up the tension and then throw in a last minute plot twist to get it out it. Boardwalk Empire didn't cheat that way, and it would have cheapened the show to end it any other way.

Going forward I think we'll see the Lucky Luciano-Al Capone alliance become the new rival for Nucky. I also think we'll see drugs play a more prominent role and there'll some tension built up around a few characters that believe pushing drugs is taking things too far.

Great show though. I enjoyed this season.

Hemi-Cuda
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
so what happens to two-face now? Darmody was really the only thing keeping him going, so does he end up offing himself, becoming a gun for hire with zero conscience, or turn into a father figure for Jimmy's son?

so many questions

Jbo
12-12-2011, 11:30 PM
They killed the wrong lead

Winsor_Pilates
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Really don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand I credit the show for making bold moves, but they also just killed their best character.
I can't imagine witching this show without Darmady...
Season 3 will be interesting

Mike F
12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
With really well produced shows like Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire, I give them a lot of trust that the same people who made the show I've thoroughly enjoyed up to this point have the talent to keep the story moving on an equally entertaining course in the future; i.e. I don't think they pull twists or make bold moves without a plan (well, except for the end of last season of BB, where they didn't know whether there was a future for the show).

That being said, I really didn't like seeing Jimmy snuffed. He was my favorite character, and so many other great characters were tied to Atlantic City through him: Capone, Lucky Luciano, Gillian, Harrow. I'd hate to lose Jimmy and them.

DuffMan
12-13-2011, 07:51 AM
so what happens to two-face now? Darmody was really the only thing keeping him going, so does he end up offing himself, becoming a gun for hire with zero conscience, or turn into a father figure for Jimmy's son?

so many questions

I'm guessing he nails Jimmys Mom.

North East Goon
12-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Two-Face is going to want a shot at Nucky now. I thought it was a great ending. I cant remember was Darmody or Eli behind the order to shoot Nucky?

Hemi-Cuda
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Two-Face is going to want a shot at Nucky now. I thought it was a great ending. I cant remember was Darmody or Eli behind the order to shoot Nucky?

definitely Eli. Darmody didn't want to kill Nucky as he preferred other ways of dealing with him, but Eli pushed the group in that direction

Coys1882
12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
It was Eli's idea and Capone and Lucky both kind of convinced Jimmy to do it. I think Jimmy didn't like it but didn't want to appear weak so he went ahead with it.

Chump
12-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Jimmy didn't want to do it but Eli, Capone and Luciano pressured him and he consented. Capone then hired some guy from Chicago to do it. Eli was the guy that suggested it but Jimmy had the final say so really they were both behind it.

jroc
12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Another refresher question here.
Why did Jimmy and his buddys arrange to have the butcher from Philly killed? I totally forget.

Coys1882
12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Another refresher question here.
Why did Jimmy and his buddys arrange to have the butcher from Philly killed? I totally forget.

I think it was because they owed him money they couldn't pay back. Or didn't intend to.

BlackEleven
12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I think it was because they owed him money they couldn't pay back. Or didn't intend to.

That was part of it. They also wanted to go into business with Waxy Gordon, who wanted the butcher dead.

Winsor_Pilates
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
After thinking about that episode way too much; 1 thing really isn't adding up for me.

Jimmy seemed to know he wasn't going to get Nucky's forgiveness and even showed up without any weapons expecting to get off'd.
So, I don't get why he bothered killing Neary and helping out Nucky's case. Even at that point he should have known Nucky wasn't gonna let him go, so why help Nucky get off his charges?

It's like the threw in the towel and handed Nucky his freedom, knowing he would kill him.

cheevers
12-13-2011, 04:36 PM
After thinking about that episode way too much; 1 thing really isn't adding up for me.

Jimmy seemed to know he wasn't going to get Nucky's forgiveness and even showed up without any weapons expecting to get off'd.
So, I don't get why he bothered killing Neary and helping out Nucky's case. Even at that point he should have known Nucky wasn't gonna let him go, so why help Nucky get off his charges?

It's like the threw in the towel and handed Nucky his freedom, knowing he would kill him.
It was because Jimmy wanted to set things right with Nucky. When they met up at Jimmy's house he asked what he could do to make up for the attempted assasination. Jimmy always viewed Nucky as a father figure to him since the commodore was a terrible father. I think he just felt bad for what happened and accepted his fate.

And I think that this was almost a mercy killing, Jimmy said before he died that he had already died in the trench. Also when Richard was talking about still being in the trenches to Jimmy just before he leaves to his execution, Jimmy says something to the effect of "comeback to here", I think it was his way of saying it was too late for him but Richard should keep living.

On another note I expect Richard to kick ass next season and be a big time player.

Knut
12-13-2011, 04:44 PM

I think he got him off more so out of respect for his old Mentor.

cheevers
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
An interview with Terrence Winter:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/interview-boardwalk-empire-creator-terence-winter-post-mortems-season-2

Definite spoilers if you have yet to see all of Season 2. Has some great stuff about the season and where he expects it to go in Season 3. Can't wait!

Winsor_Pilates
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Nice interview; particularly like the part at the end referencing actual history and painting a picture where there were many Jimmy Darmodys.

"That's the thing: for every Luciano and Lansky, there are thousands of Jimmy Darmodys who are footnotes in history - these guys who made a run at it, didn't make it and died trying. That's sort of the point. In our big sweeping crime story, it's why isn't Jimmy Darmody in the history books? Well, A)because he's a fictional character, but B)not everybody became Al Capone. Only one person became Al Capone, and there are hundreds or thousands of people who wanted to be and tried, these low-level alcohol/drug dealers who were never able to get their act together in the way that those guys did."

Stranger
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
It was because Jimmy wanted to set things right with Nucky. When they met up at Jimmy's house he asked what he could do to make up for the attempted assasination. Jimmy always viewed Nucky as a father figure to him since the commodore was a terrible father. I think he just felt bad for what happened and accepted his fate.

And I think that this was almost a mercy killing, Jimmy said before he died that he had already died in the trench. Also when Richard was talking about still being in the trenches to Jimmy just before he leaves to his execution, Jimmy says something to the effect of "comeback to here", I think it was his way of saying it was too late for him but Richard should keep living.

On another note I expect Richard to kick ass next season and be a big time player.

Terence Winter said when asked if Harrow would be back next season:

"And I’m assuming Richard Harrow will continue as a key player?"
"Yes, Harrow will continue to be part of the show, absolutely."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/11/boardwalk-empire-finale/

Pizza
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
if the writers were going to piss off the fans with killing off Jimmy, they should've went all the way and kill Jimmy in mid sentence so he never gets to fully say what he wanted to tell Nucky

Winsor_Pilates
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
darn thread bumps with no updates!! (shakes old man fist)

Knut
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
It's back !!

Tonight @ 9pm (37mins)

Winsor_Pilates
09-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Someone didn't last long...

North East Goon
09-17-2012, 09:29 AM
It certainly looks like it's going to get much more violent in Atlantic City. As long as they dont skimp on showing us 1920's boobs, all is well.

Knut
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I am also thinking that there is going to be a big Gang War in Chicago between O'Banion and Torrio/Capone. Van Alden looks like he is going to be in the thick of things.

jroc
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
So did the butcher get whacked because he didn't kill the other thief by the end of the day? or was there another reason behind it?

Komskies
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
So did the butcher get whacked because he didn't kill the other thief by the end of the day? or was there another reason behind it?

It was Richard Harrow who killed Manny Horowitz. I'm guessing it was simply as revenge for killing Angela Darmody.

Knut
09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
It was Richard Harrow who killed Manny Horowitz. I'm guessing it was simply as revenge for killing Angela Darmody.

To me it seems like Harrow and Jimmy were not really getting along well at the end of last season. However, Harrow was very hurt by Angela being killed. I agree that he did it to avenge Angela. It will be interesting to see if he becomes a lone wolf that starts picking off people that were involved, or if he joins Nucky's group

Coys1882
09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
To me it seems like Harrow and Jimmy were not really getting along well at the end of last season. However, Harrow was very hurt by Angela being killed. I agree that he did it to avenge Angela. It will be interesting to see if he becomes a lone wolf that starts picking off people that were involved, or if he joins Nucky's group

I can really see Harrow becoming a lot like Omar in the Wire.

Mike F
09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Can we all agree that discussing anything in an already aired episode doesn't need a spoiler tag?

Senator Clay Davis
09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Richard is totally gonna take out Gillian and raise Jimmy's kid on his own. At least I hope so.

Knut
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Episode two was intriguing.

Nucky is losing grip on reality and Rosetti adds an interesting wrinkle to things.

I think Nucky's mistress may end up dead at the Hands of Rothstein. She is starting to cost him money with Nucky out of it.

Coys1882
09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Now - what did Nucky do with that razor? Did he flip it? I think he's going to see someone he knows with a razor cut and go bananas.

Winsor_Pilates
09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Now - what did Nucky do with that razor? Did he flip it? I think he's going to see someone he knows with a razor cut and go bananas.
Interesting thought... was trying to figure out that scene as well.
Something we'll likely see come to play next week.

Mike F
09-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't understand what Rosetti thinks he's doing challenging both Nucky and Rothstein, unless they're just trying to portray him as a hot head.

Hemi-Cuda
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't understand what Rosetti thinks he's doing challenging both Nucky and Rothstein, unless they're just trying to portray him as a hot head.

i think that's the whole point, they introduced him as a character that beat a good samaritan to death for a simple remark

Mike F
09-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Likely, but I hope not. A thoughtless hot head is a much less interesting foe than a smart, tactical one.

Someone has to step in to fill the void left by Jimmy's departure, and it can't just be a collection of semi interesting characters each trying to do a bit.

Great to see Stephen Root, as always. Hope his character pops in often.

Hemi-Cuda
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Likely, but I hope not. A thoughtless hot head is a much less interesting foe than a smart, tactical one.

Someone has to step in to fill the void left by Jimmy's departure, and it can't just be a collection of semi interesting characters each trying to do a bit.

Great to see Stephen Root, as always. Hope his character pops in often.

yep, i knew it was him the second we heard his voice through the door. and my first reaction was "Milton!"

Coys1882
09-26-2012, 07:17 AM
He'll always be Jimmy James from Newsradio for me. God I loved that show.

SportsJunky
10-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Very slow episode I thought tonight. I liked how Nucky dealt with his problem at the end. Also, Al is a badass.

Knut
10-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I thought it was a fantastic episode. Really showed how far Nucky has gone.

Rowland should have stuck with the story that he was 16

Also..... Stephen Graham is doing a fantastic acting job in this.

Coys1882
10-15-2012, 09:02 AM
What a great scene in the shootout tonight - that guy is a total nut.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Gyp running around with the gun and a raging hard on was hilarious.

Woman at women's health class: "I wish somebody would have told me that stuff when I was 13, I wouldn't have thought I was dying."

Ark2
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Good lord is Margret's sub-plot ever painful.

trackercowe
10-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Good lord is Margret's sub-plot ever painful.
Agreed, I can't believe how much they have dedicated this season to that story. I get that they want to push the issues women faced back then, but really is this the type of show that needs to waste its time on that? Nucky's infidelities, and her dealing with it should have been enough of a story for Margaret this season. Kelly McDonald is still pretty damn hot, so there is that, but that's not enough for me to give a damn about her right now.

The same sort of goes for what Van Alden is doing this season. While his story advanced a bit this past episode, and it would be interesting if he starts working for Mazzotti it still is a shame he is no longer a Fed, or directly combating prohibition in some way. I wonder if there were filming issues with Michael Shannon since he is busy with many other projects right now.

I also hope they bring back Harrow back into the fold as well, as it would be a complete shame if they wrote him off for good a couple episodes ago.

GP_Matt
10-16-2012, 09:28 AM
With Gyp still alive I wonder if it is going to lead to a big war in New York. I can't remember his name, but Gyp's boss had a shaky truce with Rothstein and there is no way that Gyp doesn't know that the hit came from New York. The next episode should be quite exciting.

Coys1882
10-16-2012, 09:40 AM
With Gyp still alive I wonder if it is going to lead to a big war in New York. I can't remember his name, but Gyp's boss had a shaky truce with Rothstein and there is no way that Gyp doesn't know that the hit came from New York. The next episode should be quite exciting.
Oh really? I thought he'd think it came from Nucky since he just got removed from business by Rothstein. I also thought Rothstein maybe planned it that way to get Nucky out of the way.

GP_Matt
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Oh really? I thought he'd think it came from Nucky since he just got removed from business by Rothstein. I also thought Rothstein maybe planned it that way to get Nucky out of the way.
But Rothstein was there when he talked about having the paper boy deliver the paper to his room and provide the room number. Gyp stared at the papers/paper boy on the way out. Also the shooter was Bugsy who is one of Lucky's guys.

I think he is going to know.

North East Goon
10-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Killing Gyp now is going to need the skilled craft of a Harlow to execute.

nik-
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Gyp might not suspect Rothstein because he saw the paperboy dead. He might not even know that Bugsy came posing as the paperboy.

Canuck-Hater
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
^ Im hoping Gyp is too stupid to figure this out as well.

GP_Matt
10-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Gyp might not suspect Rothstein because he saw the paperboy dead. He might not even know that Bugsy came posing as the paperboy.

I can't say for sure, but when Owen reported it to Nucky didn't he say that there were 4 dead but Gyp wasn't one of them?

There were at least two guys at the door, one upstairs, the red head and the paperboy. Was that a hint that one of them might have survived? If so, It would have to be one of the door guys. paper boy and man upstairs were shot in the head and the red head took a lot of bullets.

Senator Clay Davis
10-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't think Owen mentioned anything about survivors, just that there were 4 dead and none of them were Gyp. This was definitely the best episode of the season, but my god yes please can they just ditch Margaret already? I mean seriously, who gives a good #### about her storyline?

VANFLAMESFAN
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Another show where everyone hates the wife of the main character. Add Marageret to the list that also includes:

Carmela Soprano
Rita Bennett-Dexter
Skyler White-Breaking Bad
Betty Draper-Mad Men

I'm sure there's a lot more.

GP_Matt
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Another show where everyone hates the wife of the main character. Add Marageret to the list that also includes:

Carmela Soprano
Rita Bennett-Dexter
Betty Draper-Mad Men

Network sitcoms are usually the opposite. The wife is usually eye candy.

I would add Cersei Lanister to your list from the first season of game of thrones.

trackercowe
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Network sitcoms are usually the opposite. The wife is usually eye candy.

I would add Cersei Lanister to your list from the first season of game of thrones.
Don't forget Lori on The Walking dead (everyone wants her dead). Although I don't think Skylar or Cersei are all that bad.

Coys1882
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't get the hate for Skylar - I don't think she's done anything wrong on the show and is a great character.

corporatejay
10-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Carmela Soprano
Rita Bennett-Dexter
Betty Draper-Mad Men

I never necessarily liked Carmela or Skyler, but their stories were/are integral to the overall development of the main story arc or main character.

Spoilers on the other two
Betty has been effectively written out of madmen because her story is uninteresting, but they can't ignore her all together since she is the mother of his children.

They outright killed Rita because the story had run its course.

It's not that I don't like Margaret, I just find her story boring and she does nothing to add a dimension to Nucky.

Ark2
10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't forget Lori on The Walking dead (everyone wants her dead). Although I don't think Skylar or Cersei are all that bad.

Just you wait on that one...

Coys1882
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Just you wait on that one...

http://i.imgur.com/e56a3.gif%20

Mike F
10-17-2012, 09:45 PM
What do people have against Margaret? Unlike Skyler or Cersi, there have been no actions by her to piss us off. Unlike, Skyler, Cersi, or Betty, she doesn't have a grating personality that makes her generally unpleasant.

Just like the story of the ongoing presence of overt racism, as displayed in the Chalky White story line, women's rights, e.g suffrage, were huge issues at the time and both the Margaret and Gillian Darmondy story lines are great examples of what a strong woman could accomplish at that time, as well as the serious limitations they still faced. Is there no room for great character stories that don't involve shoot-outs?

It's not that I don't like Margaret, I just find her story boring and she does nothing to add a dimension to Nucky.

Are you serious? The way he took Margaret and her children into his home and life and continues to care for them despite a pretty big betrayal by Margaret (which has obviously distanced the two of them to some degree) shows a softer side to Nucky that you don't get anywhere other than very brief flashes with his brother. Take away Margaret's story line and Nucky's basically a one-dimensional philandering gangster. The scenes in their home, with Nucky, Margaret, and the kids, totally round him out.

Winsor_Pilates
10-17-2012, 10:50 PM
What do people have against Margaret? Unlike Skyler or Cersi, there have been no actions by her to piss us off. Unlike, Skyler, Cersi, or Betty, she doesn't have a grating personality that makes her generally unpleasant.

Just like the story of the ongoing presence of overt racism, as displayed in the Chalky White story line, women's rights, e.g suffrage, were huge issues at the time and both the Margaret and Gillian Darmondy story lines are great examples of what a strong woman could accomplish at that time, as well as the serious limitations they still faced. Is there no room for great character stories that don't involve shoot-outs?

There's room for it, but does it have to be so boring?

She was an interesting character the first 2 season; the way she got involved in the plot and changed as a character was great to watch. Her effect on Nucky added a great element too.
This season, the story line they've carried with her just doesn't interest any of us.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Margaret was my fav character in Season One, I thought her story was the most interesting.

I definitely still like her, but it hasn't been the same with her.

Hemi-Cuda
10-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't think Owen mentioned anything about survivors, just that there were 4 dead and none of them were Gyp. This was definitely the best episode of the season, but my god yes please can they just ditch Margaret already? I mean seriously, who gives a good #### about her storyline?

4 dead (the girl, inner guard, one of the outer guards, and the paperboy). that leaves the other outer guard alive (who naked Gyp walked over at the end) who could finger the shooter, and he knows that it wasn't the regular paperboy

North East Goon
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Margaret with an interesting turn at the end of last night's episode.

Ark2
10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Personally, I felt that this might have been one of the worst episodes of this series. Margaret just seems to be rehashing her story from last season now. Jimmy's mom and Harrow are currently in the midst of two completely irrelevant side stories that seem to serve little purpose other than to include them in the show and two of the more interesting stories (Gyp and Capone) were completely untouched. Which basically leaves us with Nucky, whose arc is starting to take form, but at an incredibly slow pace, and if it just ends up building into another season of legal trouble for him, then I'd have to say that I am pretty unimpressed.

I'm sure that there are those who will say that I am just complaining because there weren't any shoot-outs in last night's episode, but that's honestly not the case. I just felt like there is very little in the way of compelling storyline and it leaves me concerned that the writers have already run out of ideas, as they have begun to repeat themselves. Really starting to wish that they didn't kill Jimmy off last season.

Komskies
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Personally, I felt that this might have been one of the worst episodes of this series. Margaret just seems to be rehashing her story from last season now. Jimmy's mom and Harrow are currently in the midst of two completely irrelevant side stories that seem to serve little purpose other than to include them in the show and two of the more interesting stories (Gyp and Capone) were completely untouched. Which basically leaves us with Nucky, whose arc is starting to take form, but at an incredibly slow pace, and if it just ends up building into another season of legal trouble for him, then I'd have to say that I am pretty unimpressed.

I'm sure that there are those who will say that I am just complaining because there weren't any shoot-outs in last night's episode, but that's honestly not the case. I just felt like there is very little in the way of compelling storyline and it leaves me concerned that the writers have already run out of ideas, as they have begun to repeat themselves. Really starting to wish that they didn't kill Jimmy off last season.

Good thing there's a Jimmy Two then!

Bring_Back_Shantz
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Uh oh.
Looks like we're gonna need another Jimmy!

nik-
10-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Harrow storylines are never irrelevant.

Coys1882
10-22-2012, 01:38 PM
More Harrow
Naked Gretchen Mol

Episode of the Year

Senator Clay Davis
10-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Obviously the question of the second half of the season: Who is Teddy going to stab in the face? The obvious answer after last night might be Owen, but I guess we'll see. The biggest issue with Margaret's storyline is beyond the fact it's kinda pointless, it just occupies time when other, better storylines and characters could be explored. I hope they try and trim the fat a little by seasons end, if they could resolve half the storylines by the end the show still has great, great potential going forward.

Igottago
10-22-2012, 11:57 PM
I thought the first four episodes of the season were great but the last two were pretty meh. In fact the latest one was flat out boring, possibly the worst episode of the series as Ark2 mentioned in his post.

I echo the sentiment of others here, Margaret's storyline is very uninteresting. They need to stay focused on the more compelling characters.

rbochan
10-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Jimmy III

North East Goon
10-23-2012, 07:49 AM

That's it baby , That's it!

nik-
10-28-2012, 11:35 PM
"Let him go"
"Or what?"
"I'll kill you"

Richard Harrow is a badass.

trackercowe
10-29-2012, 01:36 AM
So why kill Jimmy Two then? I thought she would find a way to use him to stage his death to make it appear that Jimmy killed himself, so he would be declared dead. But obviously with his body in that shape there is no way she can use him in that way.

So what was the point of the whole thing? Unless she wanted to place some symbolism in Jimmy dying, but it was rather strange.

Coys1882
10-29-2012, 06:40 AM
It was all about ownership of the house - with 'Jimmy' dead, she now owns it outright.

Bring_Back_Shantz
10-29-2012, 08:52 AM
So why kill Jimmy Two then? I thought she would find a way to use him to stage his death to make it appear that Jimmy killed himself, so he would be declared dead. But obviously with his body in that shape there is no way she can use him in that way.

So what was the point of the whole thing? Unless she wanted to place some symbolism in Jimmy dying, but it was rather strange.

But that's exactly what she did.
She made it look like he OD'd on heroin and drown in the tub.

guzzy
10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
This show is done really well but get on with it already. Its starting to get boring. It takes them so long to develop anything. You have to watch 4 episodes to see anything exciting.

Winsor_Pilates
10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
This show is done really well but get on with it already. Its starting to get boring. It takes them so long to develop anything. You have to watch 4 episodes to see anything exciting.
Yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated with it now.
Every week becomes another prolonged tease towards the plot lines that could be coming.
These episodes are feeling like filler, when the real story lines are there and not being pursued yet.
7 Episodes in is enough already, get on with it.

Senator Clay Davis
10-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Definitely saw Jimmy #2 getting killed, just not as disturbingly as she ended up doing it. Funniest part would be if he knocked her up before she shot him up. And when she said "It's heroin, dear", I just couldn't help but laugh. Still gotta echo the almost directionless nature of the show right now. Said it before but the show needs to lose some characters and simplify things a bit. I mean have we seen Chalky White or Al Capone for more than 15 minutes this season?

badradio
11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
The war is on now! I hope...

sergei_makarov
11-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I used to watch all the Sunday shows the first chance I got back to back. For the last 3-4 weeks though, I watch all but Boardwalk Empire and it sits until mid-week as the desire fades. Still haven't felt the urge to watch Sunday's episode yet.

Stranger
11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Things will pick up now. I thought it was a good episode.

Coys1882
11-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I think they kind of showed what Nucky's true feelings for Billie were when he chinned that actor. Now she's gone - I'm hoping he's got some serious bloodlust.

Loved the scene with the iron salesmen taking the piss out of Van Alden - totally saw it coming but still loved it!

BlackEleven
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
The war is on now! I hope...

Looks like there might be more than one war going on too. Obviously it's on between Nucky/Rothstein/Luciano and Rosetti, but it looks like there might be a war in Chicago as well between Capone and O'Bannion. And it looks like Van Alden might be recruited by O'Bannion, which I hope is the case because I love it when Van Alden is in badass mode. Loved the scene with the iron to the face. I also like his wife, who seems equally badass.

Mister Yamoto
11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Is there no room for great character stories that don't involve shoot-outs?

No, uhhh, I mean yes. I think.

I've had enough of Margaret, Carmella and Skylar. And although she is not the wife of the main character, I hate Breaking Bads' Marie the most. If I liked that sort of crap I would watch Sex in the City or Desperate Housewives.

Hemi-Cuda
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
i wonder if they had Van Alden's character mapped out from the beginning, or if they're just winging it with him now. i do enjoy that his hottie Norwegian wife is starting to have a bigger role though

oh and is Billie actually dead? we never saw her body at the end

Coys1882
11-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I think you have to assume she is - she was a lot closer to the blast than Nucky and they were still pretty messed up.

Pizza
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Whoa, i didnt see everyone walking out...

nucky has to survive, right?

Yamer
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
He planted the seed just like he did with Mellon. As news of Remus' arrest spreads and rumors of his newly acquired distillery leak out I would imagine they slowly come around. It's also possible that either one of them are also attacked by Gyp at some point in time.

Awesome episode.

Jacks
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Took me 6 months to get around to watching the first episode. After seeing the first episode I watched the next 32 in 5 days. The cold snowy weekend came at the perfect time. Great show.

Winsor_Pilates
11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
They're sure not afraid to kill off characters...

badradio
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Margret better get some "nucky" from Nucky pretty soon!

Senator Clay Davis
11-19-2012, 06:40 AM
"Whats in the box?"

Barnes
11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
"Whats in the box?"

It was Gwyneth Paltrow's head.

HelloHockeyFans
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Finally the show is picking up... only took 10 episodes. Bobby Cannavale is doing a great job.