PDA

View Full Version : Review: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit

me_dennis
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Name: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke pit

Price: $10-15 for a sandwich, drink, and side. They also serve beer.

This place reminds me of the southern BBQ shacks that you would see on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I could smell the aroma of authentic smokey BBQ. When I stepped inside, people were seated on picnic tables inside, with trays lined with was paper full of BBQ ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket sandwiches, baked beans, macaroni salad, you name it.

I decided to go for a small 4oz pulled pork sandwich ($5.50) with a few pieces of ribs ($1/bone). The large sandwiches were 8oz of meat and were around $9. Along the wall was a wide variety of different BBQ sauces, ranging from smokey hot, original, applewood, tequila, and more (probably about 10 different sauces in total)

Service was quick and friendly. The gentleman at the till was super nice and asked if I had any questions about the menu. Very friendly and pleasant.

The atmosphere is awesome. There were a good mix of office workers and construction workers, which is quite common for the area, much like the crowd you would see at Rocky's Burger Bus down the street. There are spots to sit down inside, which is nice because the meal gets quite messy. Definitely would be messy to eat in the car.

As for the food itself, the pulled pork sandwich had a nice smokey flavor to it. It comes topped with some homemade slaw, on a whole wheat bun. My only complaint was that the bun wasn't toasted, and the juices from the pulled pork made the bun kind of soggy. The sandwich doesn't come topped with any sauce, so you are free to choose from the 10 different sauces previously mentioned.

The ribs were fantastic for $1 a rib! They are smoked dry, with only a dry rub and not slathered in sauce. They are pretty tender and had a nice smokey flavor to it. You can add your own sauce so that the sauce doesn't overpower the flavor of the smoke. It leaves a wonderful smell on your fingers all day long!

Overall, awesome place to grab a quick lunch in the summertime. It does get quite busy during lunch hours, and I'm not too sure what the hours are like.

I will be going back for the beef brisket next time!! They even have something called a "manwich" which is basically 4oz of pulled pork and 4oz of beef brisket. I'll leave that for a hungry day!

CMPunk
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.holysmokebbq.ca/Holy_Smoke_Barbeque_%26_Smoke_Pit/Menu.html

If I recall the hours are 10-4 Monday to Friday

Coys1882
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice - this is right by my office, thanks for the heads up!!

Pinner
08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
It leaves a wonderful smell on your fingers all day long!

Ah Fifi...

Dan02
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the review definately going to stop by some time soon. Stopped by Rockys Burger bus based on the recs here after passing by many times and wasn't disappointed. Sure the boys ll be happy.

CaptainCrunch
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I can attest, I went there for lunch today and had the brisket and a side of baked beans. I topped it with one of their choices of sauces called the hot momma.

Really good place to eat with great service (A really cute goth type girl works the counter).

I didn't mind the fresh bun instead of toasted.

But it gets a thumbs up.

CMPunk
08-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I think I may have to hit this place up tomorrow

Reggie Dunlop
08-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Hesla and his wife ought to check this place out.

DuffMan
08-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm hungry after reading this.

I've seen Diners Drive-ins and Dives a few times lately, and I always wish I was there eating the same stuff, man he comes across some good bbq. I'm going to try the one from last night, which was a re: as I've seen it before. But the guy sticks a hunk of Brie cheese in the middle of a huge hand made hamburger patty, and bbq's it. mmmmmm, I'm starting to drool.

CaptainCrunch
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Just a note, Holy Smoke received their liquor license on Tuesday, so you can now have a cold beer with your BBQ.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Is this considered fast food or is it a sit down restaurant?

Shazam
08-19-2010, 09:52 AM
It's a sit down, but you can takeout as well. It's "fast food" in that you get your food quickly, but it's very high quality.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm always looking for a place I can get the food and get out quickly and eat in my truck. This sounds like it might be along those lines.
I'll go try it today

Shazam
08-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Damn, all this talk of the place makes me want to go there again today.

I'll be the best-looking asian guy there at lunch!

VladtheImpaler
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Damn, all this talk of the place makes me want to go there again today.

I'll be the best-looking asian guy there at lunch!

You've been taking your powdered rhino horn and eating tiger member haven't you? ;)

Shazam
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Well it is Thursday after all, tiger dick day!

Locke
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Another perfectly good restaurant revue ruined by the mere mention of Tiger penis.

VladtheImpaler
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Another perfectly good restaurant revue ruined by the mere mention of Tiger penis.

Sorry - I am actually going to go this place myself, as I've been seriously considering a trip to KC to get some BBQ. :)

Locke
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Hell yeah, I'm going there for lunch eother tomorrow or next week sometime. Its not that far away from my office and sounds delicious.

Coys1882
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
A group of us from work are hitting this place today for lunch - hope it's good.

nickerjones
08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Sorry - I am actually going to go this place myself, as I've been seriously considering a trip to KC to get some BBQ. :)

Im going to K.C. next month to take my wife to some "so you think you can dance show." She is a dancer ( not the naked pole kind unfortunately) and i gotta do things like this every so often to make her happy. The girl who won this year is quite hott tho.... Anyway I digress, I will be looking for the most out of the way run down BBQ shack I can find , in the daylight of course. (K.C. has some pretty scary parts of the city.) We took a couple wrong turns last time we were in KC and passed a run down place that had old sign out front that just said BBQ. Went in and holy crap was in freakin delicious.

Locke
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Im going to K.C. next month to take my wife to some "so you think you can dance show." She is a dancer ( not the naked pole kind unfortunately) and i gotta do things like this every so often to make her happy. The girl who won this year is quite hott tho.... Anyway I digress, I will be looking for the most out of the way run down BBQ shack I can find , in the daylight of course. (K.C. has some pretty scary parts of the city.) We took a couple wrong turns last time we were in KC and passed a run down place that had old sign out front that just said BBQ. Went in and holy crap was in freakin delicious.

Yeah....let us know how the food poisoning turns out....

nickerjones
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah....let us know how the food poisoning turns out....

Whats a lil vomit and cold chills compared to delicious tasting BBQ?... plus if i can eat the BBQ before the dance show, i can stay at the hotel and not have to watch it ... BONUS!!!

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Alright so I went here today for lunch at 11:00. Got service right away and probably waited 2 minutes for my meal. Very prompt and very friendly people.
I ordered a large pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and cornbread for sides. Also ordered a coke and got all this for $13 (a little on the expensive side if you ask me).

As it was said previously, the bun was not toasted so it got soggy very quickly. It doesnt come with sauce so I took 2 little cups and tried 2 of the BBQ sauces they had on the side. I had the house sauce which was extremly good and I ended up pouring it on my sandwich. All the pork that fell out of the bun was scooped up with a fork and dipped in the "apple something BBQ sauce" . That sauce was a little to sweet for me but was still decent. The biggest problem I had with the sauces were that they were really cold. Must have just came out of the fridge. It cooled down the pork way to much.
The sandwich comes with coleslaw on top so I highly recommend not ordering coleslaw as a side as its just too much coleslaw. The coleslaw worked well on the sandwich but didnt not live up to my expectation as a side dish. It wasnt a mayo based slaw which meant it was heavy on the vinegar and celery spice. I did not finish it, just not what I am looking for in a decent slaw.

The cornbread was amazing. Probably the best I have ever had. It was a decent size, flakey and soft. It almost wasnt considerd cornbread..it was almost a cake. So delicate and delicious. Put some icing on the top of it and give it to me for my birthday and Id be a happy man.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. My meal was expensive considering I am not full at the end of the meal. I will be going back to try the other items and sauces though.

DuffMan
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
The sandwich comes with coleslaw on top so I highly recommend not ordering coleslaw as a side as its just too much coleslaw. The coleslaw worked well on the sandwich but didnt not live up to my expectation as a side dish. It wasnt a mayo based slaw which meant it was heavy on the vinegar and celery spice. I did not finish it, just not what I am looking for in a decent slaw.

You should be a judge on BBQ Pitmasters I think it is called, another show I saw last night, about BBQ'ing, and it has eliminations. The 3 judges, were really concerned about the slaw they got with their bbq.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Mmm Manwich with cornbread and slaw

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/TattooedSpike/40192_10150257470395227_606315226_14277621_4632468 _n.jpg

Komskies
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
You should be a judge on BBQ Pitmasters I think it is called, another show I saw last night, about BBQ'ing, and it has eliminations. The 3 judges, were really concerned about the slaw they got with their bbq.

Myron Mixon!

http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/myronmixonsmall.jpg

Dude is a BBQ hero.

Coys1882
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
A group of five of us went there today at 11:30am - the lineup was to the door but it took less than five minutes for us to order and get our food.

I had the small beef brisket, side slaw and a Pop Shoppe Root Beer and paid $9. The brisket was good and very moist, and since I prefer non toasted buns I was really happy with my meal. One of the cooks recommended the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce with the brisket which tasted good but I preferred the Hot Mama sauce (the middle of 3 levels of hotness) with my sandwich.

Like Auldy said, the Slaw is not mayo based but I still found it really good.

One of the lads with us had 8 ribs ($1 each) and he thought they were fantastic - better than most of the other places he's had ribs in the city but not as good as some place he's been in Montreal.

The 'goth' (blue highlights) girl working the till was stoked to hear that there was a thread on here about their place - her name tag says "Peaches" and she's a pretty friendly gal. One of the cooks who has the name tag 'Billy Bob' said that Rhett Warrener and Rene Borque are frequent customers there.

I'll go back next week to check out the ribs this time - BBQ is a heavy lunch but I think the return trip is worth the sleepy afternoon at my desk.

7/10

PS - the guy who had 8 ribs is a big rugby player and he said he had room for maybe 2 more ribs - hopefully that will help people choose how many they want to buy.

Pinner
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
That's probably how my high school girlfriend felt after our 'first time'.:D

Dead ? Cold and slimy ?

SinceDay1
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Just got back from there. It's just around the corner from where I work so I'm there a couple of times a week. Place seemed busier than usual. Must have been full of CPer's.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
A group of five of us went there today at 11:30am - the lineup was to the door but it took less than five minutes for us to order and get our food.

I had the small beef brisket, side slaw and a Pop Shoppe Root Beer and paid $9. The brisket was good and very moist, and since I prefer non toasted buns I was really happy with my meal. One of the cooks recommended the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce with the brisket which tasted good but I preferred the Hot Mama sauce (the middle of 3 levels of hotness) with my sandwich.

Like Auldy said, the Slaw is not mayo based but I still found it really good.

One of the lads with us had 8 ribs ($1 each) and he thought they were fantastic - better than most of the other places he's had ribs in the city but not as good as some place he's been in Montreal.

The 'goth' (blue highlights) girl working the till was stoked to hear that there was a thread on here about their place - her name tag says "Peaches" and she's a pretty friendly gal. One of the cooks who has the name tag 'Billy Bob' said that Rhett Warrener and Rene Borque are frequent customers there.

I'll go back next week to check out the ribs this time - BBQ is a heavy lunch but I think the return trip is worth the sleepy afternoon at my desk.

7/10

PS - the guy who had 8 ribs is a big rugby player and he said he had room for maybe 2 more ribs - hopefully that will help people choose how many they want to buy.

You were the guys in line behind me. I was looking around wondering how many cp members were there

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Dead ? Cold and slimy ?

Empty? Lifeless?

Coys1882
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
You were the guys in line behind me. I was looking around wondering how many cp members were thereHAH - I was doing the same thing - everyone should have their username and avatar pinned to their shirts at all times - were you sitting outside on the picnic tables?

Locke
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
The GF isnt meeting me for lunch tomorrow so I'm headed there methinks.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
HAH - I was doing the same thing - everyone should have their username and avatar pinned to their shirts at all times - were you sitting outside on the picnic tables?

Naw, I ordered and left...I was in the green tshirt and Red Sox hat

Coys1882
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Naw, I ordered and left...I was in the green tshirt and Red Sox hatHAHA - the Drop Kick murphys shirt - as a proud Yankees fan I was going to comment on your lid but then I remembered I'm a chicken sh1t.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
HAHA - the Drop Kick murphys shirt - as a proud Yankees fan I was going to comment on your lid but then I remembered I'm a chicken sh1t.

Hahah

DFO
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Just eating my brisket sami back at the office - had to drive down and get some take out after reading this thread. The sandwich is ok but the ribs I'm having for dessert look better.

The ribs turned out to be pretty good. I think its time for a nap now - the large brisket sandwich (with beans & slaw) and 6 ribs may have been a bit much.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I think the slaw is just as important as the BBQ sauce. So pivital.

Man I cant get over how good that cornbread was....

I saw Peaches there as well. Nice body.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the slaw is just as important as the BBQ sauce. So pivital.

Man I cant get over how good that cornbread was....

I saw Peaches there as well. Nice body.

Ya, that cornbread was fantastic! I'm so used to it being dry, but like a previous poster said, this stuff was like cake.

Peaches friend was kinda cute too...she must be new

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Ya, that cornbread was fantastic! I'm so used to it being dry, but like a previous poster said, this stuff was like cake.

Lol that was me, it was so moist!!

Peaches friend? The blonde girl? I saw her briefly in the backround

Slava
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
HAH - I was doing the same thing - everyone should have their username and avatar pinned to their shirts at all times - were you sitting outside on the picnic tables?

That was my brother and I beside you. I know the guy who plays rugby, but can't think of his name and didn't want to come over and try to guess! (I played some Saracens rugby back in the day and he is one of the influential guys...or at least was at the time).

Maybe the place was chock full of CPers today?

Ramsayfarian
08-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Strange small world, I didn't see this thread until this afternoon, but was there for lunch today. This wasn't my first trip there, I've been hitting the place about once a week for about 6 weeks now. And yes Peaches' friend is new.

I tried the manwich today, and I'm ready for a nap.

VladtheImpaler
08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
So, what with all the CP traffic there, I guess I have go really early to avoid the nerd convention...

Slava
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
So, what with all the CP traffic there, I guess I have go really early to avoid the nerd convention...

Don't you go to bed at 7pm at your age anyway?

Ducay
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

I think he was joking.......don't most old people just eat a Swiss Chalet anyways?

VladtheImpaler
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

9, maybe 10. :)

SeeBass
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Alright so I went here today for lunch at 11:00. Got service right away and probably waited 2 minutes for my meal. Very prompt and very friendly people.
I ordered a large pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and cornbread for sides. Also ordered a coke and got all this for $13 (a little on the expensive side if you ask me).

As it was said previously, the bun was not toasted so it got soggy very quickly. It doesnt come with sauce so I took 2 little cups and tried 2 of the BBQ sauces they had on the side. I had the house sauce which was extremly good and I ended up pouring it on my sandwich. All the pork that fell out of the bun was scooped up with a fork and dipped in the "apple something BBQ sauce" . That sauce was a little to sweet for me but was still decent. The biggest problem I had with the sauces were that they were really cold. Must have just came out of the fridge. It cooled down the pork way to much.

The cornbread was amazing. Probably the best I have ever had. It was a decent size, flakey and soft. It almost wasnt considerd cornbread..it was almost a cake. So delicate and delicious. Put some icing on the top of it and give it to me for my birthday and Id be a happy man.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. My meal was expensive considering I am not full at the end of the meal. I will be going back to try the other items and sauces though.

I saw you there you were a group of 4 guys that came in two trucks.

I too felt like I left hungry, it was good but not great. I will go back and try something else next time as I believe it has the potential for a good meal.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I saw you there you were a group of 4 guys that came in two trucks.

I too felt like I left hungry, it was good but not great. I will go back and try something else next time as I believe it has the potential for a good meal.

Nope, that wasn't me. I was all by myself.

I can't wait to go back and try again. I too believe it has huge potential

Ducay
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Someone should do a lunch run next week for us downtown bound CP'ers.
:D

Shazam
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Man, you guys are harsh.

If this place is meriting a 7/10, then every other BBQ place in Calgary deserves nothing more than 2/10.

Locke
08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
That was my brother and I beside you. I know the guy who plays rugby, but can't think of his name and didn't want to come over and try to guess! (I played some Saracens rugby back in the day and he is one of the influential guys...or at least was at the time).

Maybe the place was chock full of CPers today?

What? Where were you during our improvised rugby ball beersby then on the weekend?

SeeBass
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Man, you guys are harsh.

If this place is meriting a 7/10, then every other BBQ place in Calgary deserves nothing more than 2/10.

You are correct because there isn't any good BBQ in this town.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
You are correct because there isn't any good BBQ in this town.

What's wrong with Big T's

SeeBass
08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
What's wrong with Big T's

I haven't been back there in a many years to be fair.

I didn't enjoy it then.

When it comes to food there really is no right or wrong answer though.

Perhaps I should give Big T's another shot.

Shazam
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Big T's food didn't even taste smoked when I went. That was years ago but I've heard that they've gotten worse.

SeeBass
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Nope, that wasn't me. I was all by myself.

I can't wait to go back and try again. I too believe it has huge potential

I was there at 11 too and I only remember 4 other guys.

I guess I was to busy stuffing my piehole to notice. Perhaps it was better than I thought.

Next time I try the brisket, my jewish wife will be so proud.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
I was there at 11 too and I only remember 4 other guys.

I guess I was to busy stuffing my piehole to notice. Perhaps it was better than I thought.

Next time I try the brisket, my jewish wife will be so proud.

Ok I know who you are. Reading the paper. How creepy is that?
I ate in my truck, so I was in and out pretty quick.

SeeBass
08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
^^^yup that was me in the Batman shirt

Locke
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
This is rapidly turning into a creepy dining experience.

Pinner
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Anybody know about the smoker or the wood being used ?

Pinner
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
If everyone mentions that fotze sent you, you get 10% off and fotze never has to pay for lunch again.

BaldyAuldy
08-19-2010, 03:27 PM
CP is turning into a restaurant flashmob marketing dream. Need to pick some places next week.

This is the main reason I am on CP. I drive around the city all day and am looking for good quick restaurant places.

Rhettzky
08-19-2010, 03:33 PM
This is rapidly turning into a creepy dining experience.

It's starting to sound a lot like those "I saw you" personal ads in the FFWD magazine.

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I emailed Holy Smoke about this thread. They said now that they have a liquor license that they may look at staying open late for Flames games

me_dennis
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
wow i had no idea this thread would gain that much attention.. goes to show how mediocre bbq places are in calgary!

i really wish i was working near the office today instead of in balzac :(
those ribs were so darn tasty! must try the brisket and cornbread next time!

Ramsayfarian
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
wow i had no idea this thread would gain that much attention.. goes to show how mediocre bbq places are in calgary!

i really wish i was working near the office today instead of in balzac :(
those ribs were so darn tasty! must try the brisket and cornbread next time!

Considering we're in the heart of cattle country, I've always been surprised that BBQ places aren't more prevalent here.

me_dennis
08-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I emailed Holy Smoke about this thread. They said now that they have a liquor license that they may look at staying open late for Flames games

THIS makes starting this thread worthwhile!

Has anyone been to the Palomino? I've heard they had good pulled pork sandwiches. How does it compare to Holy Smoke?

For me, the pulled pork was so so. The sogginess threw me off. But all the different types of sauces, sides, ribs, and the atmosphere made up for it, and I will definitely be going back. I don't feel as gross as I do after having a burger from Rocky's!

CMPunk
08-19-2010, 11:08 PM
THIS makes starting this thread worthwhile!

Has anyone been to the Palomino? I've heard they had good pulled pork sandwiches. How does it compare to Holy Smoke?

For me, the pulled pork was so so. The sogginess threw me off. But all the different types of sauces, sides, ribs, and the atmosphere made up for it, and I will definitely be going back. I don't feel as gross as I do after having a burger from Rocky's!

I didn't mind Palamino's, but it's been awhile since I was there. I'm just not a fan of the location downtown

wooohooo
08-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I really want to check this place out. Too bad they close so early. I was too lazy to cook at home today... so I drove half way to Thi Thi for a viet sub. But going to this place is more like driving across the city. I'm gonna have to be extra hungry and extra lazy to go.

Locke
08-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm going for lunch tomorrow. I'll be there after 11:30, do I get a CP discount?:D

CMPunk
08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm going for lunch tomorrow. I'll be there after 11:30, do I get a CP discount?:D

No, but I'll be waiting outside for you ;)

Slava
08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought the pulled pork was great, and other than a homemade version its the best I've had. (I say this partly because the amount of effort to make this properly just makes it seem so much better by the time you are eating!).

I will be back for sure. That being said I wouldn't encourage them to open for Flames games unless its a special event. I like it and all, but can't see sitting there watching hockey...I don't know if that would worthwhile for them.

Komskies
08-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Considering we're in the heart of cattle country, I've always been surprised that BBQ places aren't more prevalent here.

We do have lots of steakhouses though.

Locke
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
No, but I'll be waiting outside for you ;)

Thats alright, I'm fleet of foot.:D

Locke
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Alright, off I go.

Rhettzky
08-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Alright, off I go.

Look out Peaches!

Locke
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Look out Peaches!

Actually, I like Daisy better...haha!

Locke
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children, of all ages!! Come one, come all to the Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit.

That was a great meal.

Small Pulled Pork with the Jack Daniels sauce.
Two ribs and a piece of Corn Bread <- Yes. Its cake.

First of all. I need a nap.

Second of all, that was great, it was everything you'd want it to be, I had to wait a bit because an entire company's front office walked in just before me and even then I only waited like 5-10 minutes.

That is a a lot of food. The ribs were great, I could have had like maybe 2 more if I sacrificed the corn bread which is an unthinkable travesty.

I dont like toasted bread, so the pulled pork sandwich was perfect, it was nice and moist.

All in all, highly recommend it. Oh, and the girls taking orders arent too hard on the eyes either.

Shazam
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Damn it, you people have made this place too popular.

BaldyAuldy
08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I wonder if you can order cornbread by the pan

Rjcsjc62
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I thought it was very good. I would rather go here than Big T's.

The variety of sauces will keep me coming back just to try them all. I had the missouri sauce and I thought it was terrific.

When I do go back it wont be at noon, it was very crowded, so I came back around 12:45 and there was lots of room, and no line. If you are not governed by a 12-1 lunch break I would go before/after the rush.

Pinner
08-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I wonder if you can order cornbread by the pan

Really easy to make, takes 1/2 hr. and it's done.

CMPunk
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Really easy to make, takes 1/2 hr. and it's done.

But does it taste like Holy Smokes?

SeeBass
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Out of the words of Chappelle "mmm ribs...zzzzz"

ChuckieNZ
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Damn it, you people have made this place too popular.

This.

I've been frequenting since opening week (work on the same street), and it has gradually been getting busier as each week passes. Then suddenly "BOOM", CP catches wind and there is a lineup out the door.

I must say they do a good job of keeping people moving. Never have to wait very long for the food.

Oh, and I see most of you all are enjoying the pulled pork, brisket and ribs. But don't neglect to try the chilli con carne. They changed the recipe a few times and it is now one of my favourites on the menu. Very meaty and has a great tang to it. Good with the cornbread for sure - give it a try.

BaldyAuldy
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Alright, so a new work weeks means a new review.

Went back here today for the second time to give some of the other food a taste. I got there at 11:15 and had no one in the place so I was in and out within a couple of minutes.

I ordered the large brisket, 3 ribs, cornbread and a coke for a total of $15. I still think that is too expensive. For 15 I shouldn't be able to finish my meal because I'd be too full, but that is not the case.

Lets start with the brisket. It comes on a bun with a pickle on the inside. I liked mixining in the pickle, gave it a really good taste. Overall the brisket was very tasty even without any sauces. It was much more juicy then the pulled pork which made my bun completly soggy and falling apart. If I didnt eat this sandwich immediatly, I dont think I could even take a bite out of it because the bun would just be mush. Im not sure why it isnt toasted. Overall though it was greasy and delicious. I paired it with the mama sauce which complimented it well.
I still cant figure out why their BBQ sauces are freezing cold. Maybe its just because I get their pretty early but Im not a fan of cold BBQ sauce. Even the bun was quite cold.
I had 3 ribs. It had good flavour and the rib sauce was pretty tasty but there wasnt much meat on the bones and they werent falling off the bone. Nothing special here (but I guess side ribs are better then fries)

Cornbread...simply amazing. Enough said.

I dont see myself being a regular here. It is tasty but they still have some flaws and pricing to figure out. Overall I still like this place and will visit once a month.

me_dennis
08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I, too, came back today for a second visit. I got there at around 12:20 or so, and there was no line up, with a few people seated inside and out.

I decided to try the beef brisket and cornbread today, as well as some ribs.

Once again, service was prompt and friendly. The beef brisket was, as mentioned above, very tasty.

Anyways, i'll let the picture do the talking.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs182.ash2/44501_602416217117_120601885_35737223_2409993_n.jp g

Ramsayfarian
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Went back here today for the second time to give some of the other food a taste. I got there at 11:15 and had no one in the place so I was in and out within a couple of minutes.

I ordered the large brisket, 3 ribs, cornbread and a coke for a total of $15. I still think that is too expensive. For 15 I shouldn't be able to finish my meal because I'd be too full, but that is not the case.

Lets start with the brisket. It comes on a bun with a pickle on the inside. I liked mixining in the pickle, gave it a really good taste. Overall the brisket was very tasty even without any sauces. It was much more juicy then the pulled pork which made my bun completly soggy and falling apart. If I didnt eat this sandwich immediatly, I dont think I could even take a bite out of it because the bun would just be mush. Im not sure why it isnt toasted. Overall though it was greasy and delicious. I paired it with the mama sauce which complimented it well.
I still cant figure out why their BBQ sauces are freezing cold. Maybe its just because I get their pretty early but Im not a fan of cold BBQ sauce. Even the bun was quite cold.
I had 3 ribs. It had good flavour and the rib sauce was pretty tasty but there wasnt much meat on the bones and they werent falling off the bone. Nothing special here (but I guess side ribs are better then fries)

I dont see myself being a regular here. It is tasty but they still have some flaws and pricing to figure out. Overall I still like this place and will visit once a month.

I find their prices more than fair. What do you consider a fair price?

BaldyAuldy
08-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I find their prices more than fair. What do you consider a fair price?

I feel like anything over $10 for lunch should get me so full that I can barely walk out of the place and fall asleep around 1:30.
I was able to easily finish my meal. If I spent $15 at Rocky Burger Bus, I'd explode.

yads
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone know of any other good BBQ joints that are open on the weekends. I work downtown so I can not make the trek out there. I tried Big T's about 3-4 years ago and thought it was just awful so haven't been back since.

CMPunk
08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Anyone know of any other good BBQ joints that are open on the weekends. I work downtown so I can not make the trek out there. I tried Big T's about 3-4 years ago and thought it was just awful so haven't been back since.

http://www.thepalomino.ca/

CMPunk
08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I feel like anything over $10 for lunch should get me so full that I can barely walk out of the place and fall asleep around 1:30.
I was able to easily finish my meal. If I spent $15 at Rocky Burger Bus, I'd explode.

Maybe you're just a fat ass and eat alot?

When I went I had the manwich, coleslaw and corn bread and I was full til 7 or 8 that night

Ramsayfarian
08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe you're just a fat ass and eat alot?

When I went I had the manwich, coleslaw and corn bread and I was full til 7 or 8 that night

I think you may be right. I had a manwich and 2 ribs and was completely stuffed.

REDVAN
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Went by there today with a buddy- another CP member.

Mentioned this to the girls on the way out, and they know all about this thread.

We both had the pulled pork, couple of ribs, and potato salad. I could BARELY finish, so it was a good size, and it was the first thing I'd eaten all day. Next time I am keen to try the corn bread, beans, and the beef bricket sandwich. And by next time, I mean tomorrow afternoon!

Highly recommend. Will be going there as often as possible, and it's bit of a trek for me. Too bad they aren't open on the weekends, otherwise it'd be a good place to go for a Saturday afternoon snack! Here's hoping they get some TVs and decide to open for Flames games/after the games.

CMPunk
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice! I might see you there tomorrow

We should demand the CP discount:w00t:

Shazam
08-24-2010, 09:53 PM

I dont see myself being a regular here. It is tasty but they still have some flaws and pricing to figure out. Overall I still like this place and will visit once a month.You have a huge appetite. I ordered the small brisket, four ribs and a cornbread on Friday and that was too much food for me.

Sauces are cold because you got there early, and because AHS decrees so.

Locke
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a late lunch this afternoon so I might swing by for around 1.

Pinner
08-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Ask them to nuke the sauce and warm it up, I agree, sauce should not be cold and the heat would bring more flavor out.

Locke
08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Dammit. I need a nap after every time I go there. Work this afternoon just got shot to hell. And work this morning got 'Cracked.' Not an overly productive day.

red sky
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Ask them to nuke the sauce and warm it up, I agree, sauce should not be cold and the heat would bring more flavor out.

To add to that, couldn't you just ask them to toast/grill the bun? A lot of these places are willing to customize if you just ask.

CMPunk
08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
To add to that, couldn't you just ask them to toast/grill the bun? A lot of these places are willing to customize if you just ask.

I dunno if they have a grill/ toaster there

red sky
08-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky http://cpf374.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/images/calpuck/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=2645958#post2645958)

I dunno if they have a grill/ toaster there

I reiterate

Antithesis
08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Went in for lunch today and it was a very tasty lunch! Thanks for the recommendation.

Shazam
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I dunno if they have a grill/ toaster thereYou put that bread on Daisy's chest and it'll toast...

TSXCman
08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I went today at 12:15. line to the door but pretty fast.

I had the small brisket sandwich, beans, corn bread, and 2 ribs. and took a similar order to go without beans for a friend.

the sandwich was excellent, very greasy in, but good. ribs were nothing special, but were mainly a delivery device for 5 of the sauces (don't remember which I tried). cornbread was very good with the beans as well.

Awesome place, wasn't really in my area but I met my brother and his coworker for lunch. it was 36 degree celcius inside the building while we ate tho.

ricosuave
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Had the pulled pork sandwich and a couple of ribs today - it was OK, but nothing to write CP about. The sauces, however, were excellent.

As a nod to my CP brethren, I hereby post my slow-cooker pulled pork recipe, to which I have had great success:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using about a 3 - 4lb pork shoulder or boston butt roast, (rule of thumb is ¾ - 1lb per person), trimmed of bone and fat, if present.

Basic marinade and breakdown sauce:

* 250ml of apple cider vinegar
* 200ml worcestershire sauce
* 1 tblspoon of paprika
* 1 tblspoon of mustard powder or seeds
* 1 tblspoon of garlic powder
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1 large, diced onion (red is the variety I use)
* 1/3 small can of tomato paste
* 1/2c brown sugar

To the above, add whatever ‘flavour’ to it, as examples:

* 2 cups of ketchup, bbq sauce, honey mustard, chilli sauce, etc.
* Chilli flakes, turmeric, chilli powder, etc., to taste.

Mix well and put aside.

Stab roast with knife multiple times to create small pockets. If desired, fill some pockets with garlic cloves and peppercorns. If you have the time, you can dry-rub the powder ingredients, and sear the sides of the roast on a frying pan prior to slow cooking.

Place roast in large ziplock bag and pour marinade over top. Seal bag and allow to sit for a day or so in the refrigerator. Turn roast every so often so that all the meat is exposed to the marinade.

Place in slow cooker. Pour about ½ of the marinade over top of the roast, and cover with lid and aluminum foil or dish towel. Keep the remaining marinade for later.

Allow 8 hours slow cooker time, turn roast in cooker and baste every 2-3 hours. The longer it goes, the better it is. Add additional marinade if desired after the first 3-4 hours. (A frozen roast will yield more moisture than a fresh one).

When the roast flakes apart easily with a fork, it is done.

Remove roast and place in a large bowl. Using 2 forks, shred the meat until it is all apart. Remove fat and bone if it is there.

Add additional flavouring (as above) and a small amount of the marinade sauce and mix with meat to moisten.

Marinade sauce alone can also be used as dipping sauce. Serve with potato salad or cole slaw and a cold beer.

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in light of this thread and the vegetable one, I submit this, as seen in the funny photo thread:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PZBrp7TrKeQ/SkFmbmIl5JI/AAAAAAAAISQ/r9BdbyCh2nU/s400/Carnivore+support+group.jpg

Ramsayfarian
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I ate there today as well. After I ate, my burps tasted like smoke.

CRXguy
08-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Gonna try this place out tomorrow.

DownInFlames
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but someone set up a barbecue shack in the parking lot of GW Cycle. The menu is really limited compared to Holy Smoke but it looks to be a good alternative for those in the NE. I'm going to stop by for lunch. They're open 12-2pm.

CaramonLS
09-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Went there today, had the Ribs - holy smokes were they hot.

And I <3 Daisy.

Ramsayfarian
09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Gilchrist did a write up in today's Herald.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/food-restaurants/Holy+Smokes/3484323/story.html

Shazam
09-05-2010, 12:22 PM
FTA:

Although Holy Smoke is only open weekdays for lunch, they are considering opening some evenings and weekends, too, and have recently acquired their liquor licence. But if you'd like a taste of their pulled pork or shredded brisket today, they will be selling it at the 18th Annual Barbecue on the Bow to take place at Eau Claire Plaza.
OH MY GOD, someone is actually selling BBQ at that God-forsaken event.

CMPunk
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Mmmm tasty as ever and now open saturdays

Traditional_Ale
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Mmmm tasty as ever and now open saturdays

Is it open right now?

theonlywhiteout
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
ever since returning from tennessee ive been seeking BBQ that could even be on the same level as the stuff in memphis. i cant wait to try this place

CMPunk
01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Is it open right now?

It's open 10-4 daily monday-friday, 11-4 saturday

BigBrodieFan
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I never knew BBQ until I moved to Kansas City.

Wow.

Best BBQ in Kansas City and listed as the top BBQ in the world and recently as the top 13 places to eat before you die in 'Men's Health Magazine'

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/13_Places_to_Eat_Before_You_Die.php

If any of you ever come to KC- this is a must-taste. The original is located in a gas station (no kidding). It's got the best sausage, chicken, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, etc. KC serves it saturated, not a dry rub- and I am not a big meat eater, nor do I usually eat BBQ but when I do, I really enjoy it.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

:)

DownInFlames
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
It's open 10-4 daily monday-friday, 11-4 saturday

They're now open until 8pm weeknights. Manwich for supper... yum!

burn_baby_burn
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I never knew BBQ until I moved to Kansas City.

Wow.

Best BBQ in Kansas City and listed as the top BBQ in the world and recently as the top 13 places to eat before you die in 'Men's Health Magazine'

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/13_Places_to_Eat_Before_You_Die.php

If any of you ever come to KC- this is a must-taste. The original is located in a gas station (no kidding). It's got the best sausage, chicken, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, etc. KC serves it saturated, not a dry rub- and I am not a big meat eater, nor do I usually eat BBQ but when I do, I really enjoy it.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

:)

Oklahoma Joe's is the best. Can't wait to get back to Kansas City to eat there again.

Robbob
08-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Went last Friday and thought it would be worth the bump to remind people that it is open till 8pm on the weekdays. I totally missed when it was bumped for the new times back in March. Love this palce and now I can pick it up on the way home!

Locke
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Went last Friday and thought it would be worth the bump to remind people that it is open till 8pm on the weekdays. I totally missed when it was bumped for the new times back in March. Love this palce and now I can pick it up on the way home!

Thats good to know. It might be BBQ for dinner!

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
There is a 2nd Holy Smoke location opening 25 steps from my office. :) So, on the whole, people approve and recommend?

Boblobla
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
There is a 2nd Holy Smoke location opening 25 steps from my office. :) So, on the whole, people approve and recommend?

Where would that be??

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Where would that be??

Edmonton Tr and 16th

Shazam
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
16 Ave NE, east of Edmonton Trail, near Capri Pizza. Vlad owns the massage parlor upstairs.

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
16 Ave NE, east of Edmonton Trail, near Capri Pizza. Vlad owns the flop house upstairs.

fyp. There is also a porn shop in the building. Amazingly, I've never been in there - ah, interwebz, you have killed Harry, the guy with a snake on his face...

http://www.polarblairsden.com/actorsjohncandy18.JPG

Shazam
08-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Porn shop? So you can get two kinds of sausages at lunch.

FlameOn
08-22-2011, 11:33 AM

ooOOoo. When is said location going to open? I think I could make it down there for lunch on a not-so-busy day.

Shazam
08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Drove by last week, it was still under construction near as I could tell.

Hack&Lube
08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
That's sort of on my commute home. I'll have to go get a pulled pork for take-out

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
ooOOoo. When is said location going to open? I think I could make it down there for lunch on a not-so-busy day.

I think it's all set up. There was a "hiring" sign on the front door. I'll go look right now and update you guys...

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Not open yet. There are some people inside, presumably owners/staff making it ready. There is no sign saying when they'll open, so could be a while... maybe Labour Day? I'm amazed how long this is taking. Century Pho shut down/sold months ago...

Hack&Lube
08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
So where is it? In the Uniko Plaza or across the street?

VladtheImpaler
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
So where is it? In the Uniko Plaza or across the street?

You know where the liquor store is? Right by it. I think that's the Uniko Plaza, never looked up at the sign in 3+ years. :)

Shazam
08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Yup, it's Uniko.

IliketoPuck
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
My friend is a co-owner of the Holy Smoke, pretty neat to hear that the majority of people really enjoy the restaurant.

But once again I got caught into reading through a thread that is from years ago...took me until the second page to realize the post dates.

North East Goon
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Not open yet. There are some people inside, presumably owners/staff making it ready. There is no sign saying when they'll open, so could be a while... maybe Labour Day? I'm amazed how long this is taking. Century Pho shut down/sold months ago...

did you pull your pork at the porn shop instead?

Hack&Lube
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
You know where the liquor store is? Right by it. I think that's the Uniko Plaza, never looked up at the sign in 3+ years. :)

Okay, as long as they don't get their meat from the veterinary hospital nextdoor.

CMPunk
08-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Friday nights from 2-8 they have Pilsner on for $3 and all other beer on for $3.50

Hack&Lube
08-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Friday nights from 2-8 they have Pilsner on for $3 and all other beer on for $3.50

Why not BYOB and sit on the picnic tables?

hondabbl
09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
bump!

Ok y'all the time has finally come and our second location is open! Visit us at 420 16th Avenue NE, ( 16th &... http://fb.me/EThNGKuC

Holy Smoke is now open on 16th Ave according to their twitter

Kipper is King
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Mmmmmm! So glad they have another location!

CRXguy
09-06-2011, 03:41 PM
bump!

Holy Smoke is now open on 16th Ave according to their twitter

Finally!!! Much closer to home. :w00t:

WhiteTiger
09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
This place is always a great place to eat. So many different sauces to try, almost need 2-3 sandwiches for it.

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Ah, excellent - my lunch date fell through, so I will walk the 25 steps and finally try it out.

DFO
09-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Wasn't open yesterday. I want some ribs!

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Wasn't open yesterday. I want some ribs!

I just walked over there and it doesn't look they are open yet (as in, still doing some work inside). I will take another look in a couple hours just in case.

Two Fivenagame
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
How does the food compare to Big T's?

CMPunk
09-07-2011, 01:09 PM
How does the food compare to Big T's?

I find that Holy Smoke is head and shoulders above what you get at Big T's

DFO
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Big T's is junk compared to Holy Smoke.

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
My assistant went out and took a look, and it's open. I couldn't go today, as my lunch engagement was reinstated. Somebody else will have to be the first to check it out...

Wormius
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
^^ I think they're open late. Get the take out, but remember to grab some of the sauces they have. When I went, I forgot.

Kipper is King
09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I really like the jalapeno sauce, but they are all good!

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
OK, despite the fact that I am full of pho, I sent my assistant out for a manwich and some ribs, so here we go with a live PBP...

- the manwich meant is delicate and very tasty
- the ribs are disappointing - a bit undercooked

Locke
09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I for one am riveted.

Once Vlad gets hooked on this stuff they'll need a forklift to get him into my office by next year....

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I for one am riveted.

Once Vlad gets hooked on this stuff they'll need a forklift to get him into my office by next year....

Meh, I still run to the office once a week, so I will manage to remain at sexy plump (much like Jay Feaster) for the foreseeable future.
So, two thumbs up for the manwich, but I don't think I will be getting ribs there....

Komskies
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Meh, I still run to the office once a week, so I will manage to remain at sexy plump (much like Jay Feaster) for the foreseeable future.
So, two thumbs up for the manwich, but I don't think I will be getting ribs there....

I agree with this review. My manwich was delectable, but I did not enjoy my ribs that much. While yours were undercooked, mine were far too smoky tasting.

Locke
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
meh, i still run to the office once a week, so i will manage to remain at sexy plump (much like jay feaster) for the foreseeable future.
So, two thumbs up for the manwich, but i don't think i will be getting ribs there....

:#1:

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I agree with this review. My manwich was delectable, but I did not enjoy my ribs that much. While yours were undercooked, mine were far too smoky tasting.

Yes, that too, but I felt the texture was more of a problem. I should have mentioned this.

FlameOn
11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
A 3rd Holy Smoke is opening at Deerfoot mall food court beside the Subway. The stall is boarded up right now while they are renovating. Didn't see when it was opening but I'll post back when I see changes.

CMPunk
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Had this yesterday...love it...tasty as ever

karl262
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Just went there for the first time today and will be going back many more times. Had the large pulled pork sandwich with hot bbq sauce. Tender meat, soft bun, great sauce. Win - Win - Win!

Montag
11-16-2012, 11:40 PM
A 3rd Holy Smoke is opening at Deerfoot mall food court beside the Subway. The stall is boarded up right now while they are renovating. Didn't see when it was opening but I'll post back when I see changes.

Oh crap, I'm not going to be able to resist one so close..

Traditional_Ale
11-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I must be the only person in the city who thinks the food from this place is disgusting and bland.

ben voyonsdonc
11-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I've tried it 5 different times hoping that I'd like it or realize that I wasn't getting the right order. I still don't like it though. I find the pulled pork dry and bland. The chili is over reduced and too small. The corn bread is dry and I like my corn bread hot.

mrvee
11-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I hate to say this but quality has gone down.The chilli at wendys is better and the corn bread is ugh..

guzzy
11-18-2012, 08:24 AM

You do realize that BBQ is smoked meat (hence the smoky taste)? I also have trouble believing that something that is smoked for four hours was undercooked. The meat may have been pink but anyone who know BBQ knows properly cooked BBQ has a pink ring known as the smoke ring.

Holy smoke has great pork and brisket but the ribs are disappointing. The sauces make up for it though.

Clarkey
11-18-2012, 03:10 PM
You can definately over-smoke meat, giving it an overpowering flavor.

tvp2003
11-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Wasn't a big fan of the ribs. Beef brisket was excellent; thought the pulled pork was a little dry/bland though. Fun to try the different sauces :)

Rudee
11-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I must be the only person in the city who thinks the food from this place is disgusting and bland.

I was there yesterday and I was expecting big things based on this thread, but both myself and my girlfriend were impressed. The meat was very dry. We won't be returning.

Sluggo
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Had for the first time today, the pulled pork was awesome. The lady there wanted me to take a sauce for it but I need to gauge the flavor without sauce first.

normtwofinger
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I was there yesterday and I was expecting big things based on this thread, but both myself and my girlfriend were impressed. The meat was very dry. We won't be returning.

Don't get sauce on your expensive watch.

Komskies
11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
You do realize that BBQ is smoked meat (hence the smoky taste)? I also have trouble believing that something that is smoked for four hours was undercooked. The meat may have been pink but anyone who know BBQ knows properly cooked BBQ has a pink ring known as the smoke ring.

Holy smoke has great pork and brisket but the ribs are disappointing. The sauces make up for it though.

This is enlightening. I had no idea smoked meat was supposed to have a smokey flavor.

When I said the ribs were too smokey, I'm talking way too smokey. Smokey to the point where it tasted more like a forest fire than meat. As Clarkey said, you can definitely over-smoke meat, and the ribs were past that point.

AMG_G
11-27-2012, 03:59 PM
This is enlightening. I had no idea smoked meat was supposed to have a smokey flavor.

When I said the ribs were too smokey, I'm talking way too smokey. Smokey to the point where it tasted more like a forest fire than meat. As Clarkey said, you can definitely over-smoke meat, and the ribs were past that point.

Yes this...when we had it all we can taste and smell was the rips all afternoon kindof gross.

nickerjones
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Hate to bring this from the dead but I ate here today for the first time. It was delicious. Being from the Southern United States, this restaurant reminded me of "back home". Chicken and Ribs were pretty delicious. Corn bread was awesome and unsweet iced tea was what sealed it for me (They need more unsweet tea. This summer is going to be a bummer with no iced "sun tea" to drink when it's hot outside). The amount of different sauces was nice. The sweet apple one reminded me of a sauce that used to be made homemade at family dinners when I was young.

Great food and experience for me.

Jbo
12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Best fried pickles in the city

Hemi-Cuda
12-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Hate to bring this from the dead but I ate here today for the first time. It was delicious. Being from the Southern United States, this restaurant reminded me of "back home". Chicken and Ribs were pretty delicious. Corn bread was awesome and unsweet iced tea was what sealed it for me (They need more unsweet tea. This summer is going to be a bummer with no iced "sun tea" to drink when it's hot outside). The amount of different sauces was nice. The sweet apple one reminded me of a sauce that used to be made homemade at family dinners when I was young.

The one thing I want from the US over any other in Canada. I don't understand why nearly every drink you can buy from a store or restaurant has to have so much sugar in it, tea is plenty flavorful enough without unnecessary sugar. I've taken to just brewing it myself, the Lipton fruit green teas are my favorite for turning into an iced tea so far

http://midnitemunchiemadness.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/608-208498.png

Locke
12-29-2013, 03:53 PM

My office is right by there, let me know next time and we can meet up.

CaptainCrunch
12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm such a fan of the food there. I don't much like cornbread but the BBQ is amazingly good and the smells when you walk into the place really make you start to uncontrollably drool

Wormius
12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I think I'll go there for lunch tomorrow. Not too far from my SE office either.

Not really crazy about their $1 ribs. I guess I am used to a different style. Can't wait for the summer though to be able to sit outside at a picnic table and chow down.

Locke
01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah...Friday is my 'Holy Smoke' day, and I went for the beef brisket today. Never lets me down. Excellent stuff.

Wormius
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Went back a couple of days ago. Chicken sandwich was great. Like getting the large so I can try out a variety of sauces.

Locke
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Went back a couple of days ago. Chicken sandwich was great. Like getting the large so I can try out a variety of sauces.

I cant eat a large. They are not screwing around with the large sizes. A large sandwich from Holy Smoke will literally ruin my day.

Wormius
01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
I cant eat a large. They are not screwing around with the large sizes. A large sandwich from Holy Smoke will literally ruin my day.

I like to think that because it's chicken, it isn't as unhealthy. The Burger Bus however, will pretty much put me in a meat coma for the whole day.

Temporary_User
01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Is Holy Smoke different from Holy Grill?
If no, then they are going to be opening a new location downtown pretty soon (under construction right now).
444 5th Ave.

If yes, then please ignore haha

Locke
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I like to think that because it's chicken, it isn't as unhealthy. The Burger Bus however, will pretty much put me in a meat coma for the whole day.

I think you're right, and because its BBQ it should be at least moderately healthier still.

That said though, its still a lot of food. And if you dont get the chicken and get the pulled pork or beef brisket, or, heaven forbid the Barnyard (combination of all of them in one sandwich) a large will do me in.

And the Burger Bus isnt even lunch anymore, the Burger Bus is the end of the day. Wash it down with a beer, go home and go to bed.

Wormius
01-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Just discovered that they set up shop in the food court at Deerfoot Outlet Mall. Seemed more expensive than the Manhattan Rd one, but nice that they're open later for a BBQ fix.

Some other cons was, being a food court, the sauces aren't very convenient to grab. I think they get some of the food from another location. They seemed to run out of a few things, and the way the corn bread and salads were packaged, it looked like they got trucked over there.

I'll probably stick with Manhattan Rd location. I prefer the ambience, and having the sauces within close reach... but if you're stuck at Deerfoot Outlet Mall, its the best option there. Surprised people actually were eating from the other vendors when Holy Smoke is there. WTF.

Pizza
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
I think they get some of the food from another location. They seemed to run out of a few things, and the way the corn bread and salads were packaged, it looked like they got trucked over there.

I went to the Manhattan Rd location last month and when asked, they admitted they get their stuff smoked/bbq'd at the 16th ave location

alittle disappointing.... and they also got rid of their sauce where they used coca cola in it

and for the guy who asked if Holy Smoke and Holy Grill were the same... try Holy Grill someday... good burgers but DEFINATELY not the same