PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Canada Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

QuadCityImages
07-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Good news for you guys, although a bit late.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/netflix-coming-to-canada-this-fall/

http://twitter.com/netflix/status/18907543256

HeartsOfFire
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Zip.ca is already here.

I have no intention of changing from Zip to Netflix unless Netflix becomes available on my 360.

WilsonFourTwo
07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
^^Interesting. I've used Zip (for about 4 years) simply because Netflix isn't available in Canada.

Zip has been OK as an alternative, but I can't see how Zip could be considered on par with Netflix. Zip's access to titles (specifically wait times) has always been a problem, something Netflix is not immune to, but certainly much better with. Zip doesn't offer any kind of quality streaming option, something Netflix continues to expand on. And considering that over about four years my Zip plan has gone from $12.95 up to $24.95......there's PLENTY of room to compete on price.

I suspect that Zip will be crushed within a couple of years.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 08:24 AM
This is awesome! Been waiting for a quality HD streaming services for ages!

fundmark19
07-19-2010, 08:27 AM
omg omg omg!!!! I am so excited!!! See ya shaw movie package hello cheap netflix to my ps3's!!!!

Jimmy Stang
07-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Keep in mind that Netfilx is bringing streaming only to Canada, so you won't be able to use Netflix as an alternative to Zip for getting DVDs in the mail.

That being said, unless Zip gets on board with a competing streaming service, they could be dead in the water. In a few years, the idea of actually having a physical disc delivered to you in the mail will seem downright awkward because most TVs, consoles, BluRay players, etc. will be able to stream these things right to your living room.

Burninator
07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
So how exactly does Netflix streaming work? I am trying to look on their website, but everything I click on redirects me to the Canadian sign up page.

Can I watch any movie or TV show that is on their service instantly? Or do titles need to become available to me? What hardware do you need to use this?

HeartsOfFire
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
^^Interesting. I've used Zip (for about 4 years) simply because Netflix isn't available in Canada.

Zip has been OK as an alternative, but I can't see how Zip could be considered on par with Netflix. Zip's access to titles (specifically wait times) has always been a problem, something Netflix is not immune to, but certainly much better with. Zip doesn't offer any kind of quality streaming option, something Netflix continues to expand on. And considering that over about four years my Zip plan has gone from $12.95 up to $24.95......there's PLENTY of room to compete on price.

I suspect that Zip will be crushed within a couple of years.

I acknowledge that Zip has definitely got their wires crossed when it comes to sending DVD's high up on someone's Ziplist. This next title they're sending me is 9th on my list. They couldn't get me one of the 8 above it? I'm disappointed, to say the least. But given there are no competitors that can do better -- yet -- what else am I to do, eh?

Me, I only pay for the basic zip service. $8.95 a month. I would pay more, but my Ziplist has less than 12 titles in it right now, and I'm content to let that run its course. One of these days I'll have to add more titles to it.

A thought just also occured to me regarding Netflix and their streaming service. I like Zip's service now. There's just something uniquely beneficial to receiving a physical DVD from a rental service such as Zip or Netflix that just can't be beat by streaming video.

:ph34r:

Keep in mind that Netfilx is bringing streaming only to Canada, so you won't be able to use Netflix as an alternative to Zip for getting DVDs in the mail.

That being said, unless Zip gets on board with a competing streaming service, they could be dead in the water. In a few years, the idea of actually having a physical disc delivered to you in the mail will seem downright awkward because most TVs, consoles, BluRay players, etc. will be able to stream these things right to your living room.

I dunno... the major benefit of a physical media kinda outweighs the convenience of a streamed video. Even if I do have to eventually return it.

temple5
07-19-2010, 08:57 AM
This is great news.

Jimmy Stang
07-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Here's a link to a 1.5 year-old article on Netflix devices. Considering we are a few years behind here in Canada, it should be just about right. ;)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10249727-1.html

I am a PS3 owner, so that's how I'll be doing Netflix when it becomes available. I would imagine that Netflix will be available on similar devices here as the delays in getting the service here we due more to the legal/distribution models than the hardware.

Basically it looks like all of the 3 main, current console systems are compatible, as well as a growing number of other devices.

I find it interesting that the PS3 movie store just opened in Canada (finally) a couple of weeks ago, and now Netflix announces that they are entering the market. Let's keep it coming with Hulu next. Wishful thinking...

bubbsy
07-19-2010, 08:59 AM
does anyone know the resolution of the stream being sent (1080p, 1080i, or is it less than HD altogether)?

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
So how exactly does Netflix streaming work? I am trying to look on their website, but everything I click on redirects me to the Canadian sign up page.

Can I watch any movie or TV show that is on their service instantly? Or do titles need to become available to me? What hardware do you need to use this?
Netflix apparently has one of the largest libraries for streaming movies, but it isn't their entire library.

You need Netflix software to view Netflix media. Almost all media center software packages have Netflix support, and lots of TVs and Blu-Ray players have it built in as well (I think all Samsung Blu-Ray players, for example, have Netflix support). XBox 360, Wii, PS3 all can use Netflix. There's an iPhone/iPad app, a Netflix set-top box, etc. etc.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
does anyone know the resolution of the stream being sent (1080p, 1080i, or is it less than HD altogether)?
I believe it caps out at 720p

bubbsy
07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
I believe it caps out at 720p

booo......

i guess even if htey offerend 1080p/i streams, frigin rogers (or other garbage ISPs) will have severe band width caps, so that people are forced to use their PPV offerings instead :(

Jimmy Stang
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I dunno... the major benefit of a physical media kinda outweighs the convenience of a streamed video. Even if I do have to eventually return it.

Honest question - I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but what are the benefits of having physical media mailed to you instead of streaming? If you can have the same movie streamed instantly as opposed to waiting for it to become available, sending it back, etc., I simply don't see why you wouldn't want to press a button and watch it right away. I can understand that sometimes you might want to own a certain movie and have it on your shelf, but for renting - I have no problem streaming it and then having it disappear into the ether.

I'm not saying that there aren't advantages to physical media at this point in time. As I understand it, the library size for physical media at Netflix (and probably Zip too) is bigger than what Netflix will be streaming. And if you're a big HD buff, 1080 on a Blu-Ray will be preferable to 720 streaming.

I see all of those things evolving over time to the point where you can stream pretty much any movie you want in full 1080 HD. That would be awesome, indeed.

photon
07-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Doesn't really matter, the resolution is only one factor, and a small one. The bitrate they can stream out is far lower than actual HD bitrates, so the quality isn't anywhere near actual HD quality.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Honest question - I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but what are the benefits of having physical media mailed to you instead of streaming? If you can have the same movie streamed instantly as opposed to waiting for it to become available, sending it back, etc., I simply don't see why you wouldn't want to press a button and watch it right away. I can understand that sometimes you might want to own a certain movie and have it on your shelf, but for renting - I have no problem streaming it and then having it disappear into the ether.

I'm not saying that there aren't advantages to physical media at this point in time. As I understand it, the library size for physical media at Netflix (and probably Zip too) is bigger than what Netflix will be streaming. And if you're a big HD buff, 1080 on a Blu-Ray will be preferable to 720 streaming.
This.

I'm as excited as anyone to get Netflix in Canada, but like any other streaming services, there are some serious sacrifices in video/audio quality that make streaming a reality for the average user's connection.

I'm fine with the 720p limit. All other things equal, 1080p requires double the bandwidth of 720p. A good 720p stream will look much, much better than a compressed, dithered 1080p stream. As it is, all streaming services I'm aware of compress the crap out of their 720p streams, I can only imagine how awful 1080p would look.

Human Torch
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
This.

I'm as excited as anyone to get Netflix in Canada, but like any other streaming services, there are some serious sacrifices in video/audio quality that make streaming a reality for the average user's connection.

I'm fine with the 720p limit. All other things equal, 1080p requires double the bandwidth of 720p. A good 720p stream will look much, much better than a compressed, dithered 1080p stream. As it is, all streaming services I'm aware of compress the crap out of their 720p streams, I can only imagine how awful 1080p would look.

Same with audio, I don't think they support surround sound yet. Then there's the special features on the discs.

Vulcan
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Doesn't really matter, the resolution is only one factor, and a small one. The bitrate they can stream out is far lower than actual HD bitrates, so the quality isn't anywhere near actual HD quality.

I guess this means no 3D, crap.
Youtube can stream 1080p for free, I don't see why Netflix can't do it when we pay money.

Human Torch
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
This.

Yea with audio, I don't think they support surround sound yet. Then there's the special features on the discs.

photon
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I guess this means no 3D, crap.
Youtube can stream 1080p for free, I don't see why Netflix can't do it when we pay money.

Youtube's 1080p is heavily compressed as well.

Jimmy Stang
07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
^^^ Fair enough - all good reasons for everyone. ;) I'm not much of a special feature kind of guy, and seeing as Canada is a few years behind with things like streaming, I haven't had much of a chance to try it out to compare video and audio quality due to compression.

It does raise an interesting question/issue that some have already eluded to in this thread: The ISPs are often also the cable providers that are providing the bandwidth. The can of worms known as "net neutrality" will surely be opened here in Canada, and I do wonder if we'll see (more) caps on bandwidth. Fortunately Shaw doesn't seem as involved in "traffic shaping" as much as Bell, for example, who have been criticized for it in the past. But now with some viable options for streaming/downloading movies coming to Canada, the game will likely change somewhat.

nfotiu
07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
I watch Netflix on a ps3/35mbs internet/60 inch 1080p tv. Quality is okay for most movies. Maybe slightly better than a dvd, compression artifacts are not obvious. You'll never be fooled into thinking you are watching a blue ray, or even HD on demand, but never really distracted by poor quality either.

Movie selection is pretty weak, IMO. Not much from the major studios that is less than 5 years old. Every once in a while I find something I like to see. Good for catching up on old tv shows, if they happen to carry what you are interested in.

Mail service now has a 30 day delay from dvd release, which is making it more and more useless for me.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Mail service now has a 30 day delay from dvd release, which is making it more and more useless for me.
Whoa, lame.

I'm assuming that includes BluRay?

HeartsOfFire
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Honest question - I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but what are the benefits of having physical media mailed to you instead of streaming?

Depends. The copy on the DVD is in the raw. Uncompressed, bit for bit everything that it should be. That tends to be a bigger benefit.

Assuming the streamed copy is in every way, shape, and form an exact duplicate of the DVD? Well then they are equal. Except a physical copy allows me to do something a streamed copy does not. Rip it

Azure
07-19-2010, 10:46 AM

I think it already does considering most people have an internet connection capable of viewing standard DVDs.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Depends. The copy on the DVD is in the raw. Uncompressed, bit for bit everything that it should be. That tends to be a bigger benefit.

Assuming the streamed copy is in every way, shape, and form an exact duplicate of the DVD? Well then they are equal. Except a physical copy allows me to do something a streamed copy does not. Rip it
Actually, that's not true. MPEG-2 is a lossy codec and there's plenty of compression going on, most of the time. Compare a supberbit DVD release to the standard one, full of all the extras taking up space, and you'll see what I mean.

That said, the physical copies are always going to be much higher quality that any streaming service.

nfotiu
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Actually, that's not true. MPEG-2 is a lossy codec and there's plenty of compression going on, most of the time. Compare a supberbit DVD release to the standard one, full of all the extras taking up space, and you'll see what I mean.

That said, the physical copies are always going to be much higher quality that any streaming service.

Always is a pretty strong word.

There are lots of streaming services that are better than dvd now. Some that are getting somewhat close to blu-ray too.

Azure
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Youtube's 1080p is heavily compressed as well.

And Youtube is currently bleeding money as well.

Russic
07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been waiting for this for a loooong time. While it does have it's disadvantages on the big screen, this has been a must-have ipad app for a while. Very excited for that.

Vulcan
07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I watch streaming video shows a couple of times a week through my computer to my 1080P TV. They don't give an exact rating of the quality but it's better than DVD and satisfactory. Streaming quality is getting better and better and my regular high speed connection has gone up to about 30 Mb/s in the last year too. Someone from Shaw said that fibre optic has been installed in this backwater. Anyways what I'm saying is that technology is changing and improving so quickly that normal ways of doing things through the mail, driving down to a Video store, buying a blu ray player or other hardware, may no longer be needed.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Always is a pretty strong word.

There are lots of streaming services that are better than dvd now. Some that are getting somewhat close to blu-ray too.
You misunderstood. I said the physical copy will always be higher quality than the streamed version. I did not say that a DVD looked better than a high definition stream.

What services are "close" to Blu-Ray quality? I know of services that share a resolution with Blu-Ray, but that says zilch about the video or audio quality.

nfotiu
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
You misunderstood. I said the physical copy will always be higher quality than the streamed version. I did not say that a DVD looked better than a high definition stream.

What services are "close" to Blu-Ray quality? I know of services that share a resolution with Blu-Ray, but that says zilch about the video or audio quality.

That's a little nonsensical though, as streams are rarely going to use a physical media as source.

Vudu hdx, and the xbox 1080p both are getting pretty close to blu ray. I get Verizon VOD via ip over fiber that could be considered streaming, that isn't significantly worse than blu ray.

photon
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
That's a little nonsensical though, as streams are rarely going to use a physical media as source.

I don't understand what you mean here.

I think the point was that physical media will always (or at least for the next while) be better quality than streaming, when comparing apples to apples (high def to high def).

Eventually bandwidth will catch up to be able to stream HD quality stuff, but by that time there'll be 4 times HD stuff in 3D which will require 10 times the connection speed... eventually TV resolution will exceed visual acuity and they'll stop upping the resolution, and bandwidth will catch up, but that's a long way off.

Vudu hdx, and the xbox 1080p both are getting pretty close to blu ray. I get Verizon VOD via ip over fiber that could be considered streaming, that isn't significantly worse than blu ray.

VUDU HDX is getting much closer, 9Mbps average and 20Mbps bursts, but they're not really streaming, you have to download first which takes a few hours.

Xbox 360's streaming is far lower than that, closer to netflix than VUDU HDX.

Bluray is 40Mbps max, though most movies use somewhat less.. once we get into the 20Mbps average range then we can start saying that streaming is approaching bluray quality.

MickMcGeough
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM

I also never said the stream comes from the retail physical copy... I think I'm being pretty clear about my point: physical media is better quality than streaming. Every time. A DVD is higher quality than a SD stream, and a Blu-Ray is higher quality than an HD stream.

I've heard that Vudu HDX titles have excellent video/audio quality but I thought you had to preload the movie first so I didn't consider it a streaming service. I just googled it and it looks like my info was out of date. From what I've heard it's very close to Blu-Ray video quality, albeit without the HD audio (though DD 5.1 is good enough for a stream). Too bad Vudu doesn't exist outside the states, I'd be all over that.

What service is the XBox 1080p? Is that the Zune service?

nfotiu
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't understand what you mean here.

I think the point was that physical media will always (or at least for the next while) be better quality than streaming, when comparing apples to apples (high def to high def).

Nothing is better than Blu ray is about the only absolute statement to make. 720p24 is really not hd or sd, but is a somewhat popular streaming resolution, and can be better/worse or just different than dvd

Eventually bandwidth will catch up to be able to stream HD quality stuff, but by that time there'll be 4 times HD stuff in 3D which will require 10 times the connection speed... eventually TV resolution will exceed visual acuity and they'll stop upping the resolution, and bandwidth will catch up, but that's a long way off.

VUDU HDX is getting much closer, 9Mbps average and 20Mbps bursts, but they're not really streaming, you have to download first which takes a few hours.

Bluray is 40Mbps max, though most movies use somewhat less.. once we get into the 20Mbps average range then we can start saying that streaming is approaching bluray quality.

Vudu HDX is streaming now, or some combination of streaming/buffering/dowloading. There is some point of dimishing returns on the bitrate, and the compression codecs are improving all the time. 10mbs if done right and allows for bursts should start to be pretty good for video in most cases.

The PQ is not what's limiting streaming adoption, so much as the studios insistent on the 5-7$/24 hour rentals, which are pretty outrageous compared to what you can do netflixing/redboxing blu rays.

nfotiu
07-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I also never said the stream comes from the retail physical copy... I think I'm being pretty clear about my point: physical media is better quality than streaming. Every time. A DVD is higher quality than a SD stream, and a Blu-Ray is higher quality than an HD stream.

I've heard that Vudu HDX titles have excellent video/audio quality but I thought you had to preload the movie first so I didn't consider it a streaming service. I just googled it and it looks like my info was out of date. From what I've heard it's very close to Blu-Ray video quality, albeit without the HD audio (though DD 5.1 is good enough for a stream). Too bad Vudu doesn't exist outside the states, I'd be all over that.

There is nothing technologically preventing a company from offering better than dvd sd, probably safe to say most sd streaming is worse than dvd, there are probably cases out there that this isn't the case.

HDX has DD Plus, while not lossless, it was one of the new hd standards that came with HD DVD.

photon
07-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Nothing is better than Blu ray is about the only absolute statement to make. 720p24 is really not hd or sd, but is a somewhat popular streaming resolution, and can be better/worse or just different than dvd

720p is still considered HD for any kind of classification, but you are right the actual quality depends on other things that just the resolution.

Vudu HDX is streaming now, or some combination of streaming/buffering/dowloading.

The streaming is still lower quality than the downloaded so I went with the highest quality for the comparison.

There is some point of dimishing returns on the bitrate, and the compression codecs are improving all the time. 10mbs if done right and allows for bursts should start to be pretty good for video in most cases.

The PQ is not what's limiting streaming adoption, so much as the studios insistent on the 5-7$/24 hour rentals, which are pretty outrageous compared to what you can do netflixing/redboxing blu rays.

There are diminishing returns for bitrate, but the point where you start seeing them is actually at the blu-ray level (an uncompressed HD signal is actually 3Gbit or something).

And I agree, codecs do improve, and 10Mbps video is probably good for a lot of people. But not everyone, and I think it's important to understand the quality difference.. that's part of the reason they can charge so much is people see "This streams at 1080p" and automatically think it's blu-ray quality.

Esoteric
07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Not being able to stream surround sound is a huge turn off for me. The audio experience of a Blu Ray is one of the main attractions.

cal_guy
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Xbox 360's 1080p files can go up to approximately 10 Mbps (the equivalent of what you would get if you choose to download rather than stream) but can dynamically shift between bitrates and resolutions.

Bertuzzied
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Netflix crushed after hours. Down $12. shows how overpriced the stock was.

They beat EPS and forecasted higher growth for next quarter.

Jimmy Stang
07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I was just daydreaming (about geeky stuff, 'cause I'm like that), and I was thinking: what if Netflix and Zip are going to join forces - either through a joint venture or a takeover - to provide discs and streaming like in the US?

Zip hasn't made a move towards the streaming market, and Netflix said that they're only doing streaming in Canada. Maybe we might get the best of both worlds?

Azure
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Netflix crushed after hours. Down $12. shows how overpriced the stock was.

They beat EPS and forecasted higher growth for next quarter.

They have 15 million subscribers and 60% stream the content.

I'll say they're doing just fine.

Bertuzzied
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
They have 15 million subscribers and 60% stream the content.

I'll say they're doing just fine.

Which just means their stock is just way overpriced! Even after a $12 drop it's at $108. It should prob be a $70-$80 stock. At least thats what my put options say!

Raekwon
07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Rogers lowers download limits as Netflix looms

Rogers Communications, this country's second-biggest internet provider, is lowering the usage limits on some of its plans, just days after online video service Netflix announced it was expanding into Canada.

The company lowered the limits Wednesday on several of its service plans in Ontario, its main market. Users who signed up for the cable company's "Extreme" service after July 21 will be allowed 80 gigabytes of monthly usage, versus 90 GB for those who signed up before.
Customers who sign up for the "Lite" service will now get 15 GB, versus 25 GB before.
Rogers also simultaneously boosted the speed of the Extreme plan to 15 megabits per second from 10, while the Lite plan's speed was unchanged.
The company, which has 1.6 million internet subscribers — second only to Bell Canada — did not explain the changes and a spokesperson did not have an immediate comment.
The lower usage limits came two days after Netflix announced its plans to enter Canada this fall. Netflix has become popular in the United States by providing unlimited movies and television shows for a monthly subscription fee of $8.99 U.S.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/07/22/rogers-download-limits.html#ixzz0uRxYoGHs

Azure
07-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Download limits are so 2002.

missdpuck
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I love Netflix.

Burninator
07-23-2010, 08:20 AM
FYI Shaws download/upload limits per month are:

Lite: 12.5 GB
High-Speed (probably what most people have): 75 GB
Extreme: 125 GB
Warp: 250 GB
Nitro:500 GB

Jimmy Stang
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
FYI Shaws download/upload limits per month are:

Lite: 12.5 GB
High-Speed (probably what most people have): 75 GB
Extreme: 125 GB
Warp: 250 GB
Nitro:500 GB

Thanks for posting that - I was wondering what Shaw's limits were. Those seem pretty reasonable to me. I'm not sure how anyone could use that type of bandwidth anyway. I suppose if you were torrenting like crazy, but even then, that's a lot of torrenting.

I wonder if Shaw is considering lowering these caps as well? Traditionally Shaw has been pretty fair (compared with Rogers and Bell) on issues like bandwidth caps, throttling, etc. I hope that it remains that way.

HeartsOfFire
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
You smell that? That's the scent of Rogers' new cash cow in the wake of Netflix's imminent arrival.

I have to chuckle at some of the comments on that CBC article. One such comment stating "Canada is so behind the times in terms of broadband data services compared to countries like South Korea, where plans are in place for a universal 1 Gbps network for everyone."

Compare land masses of Canada to South Korea, and it quickly becomes clear how they're able to accomodate such a feat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that no tech in So.Ko has ever heard of a 1600 Long Haul before.

Bertuzzied
07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
You smell that? That's the scent of Rogers' new cash cow in the wake of Netflix's imminent arrival.

Until you factor in how this will affect Roger's Video.

Still netflix is not a $106 stock. Back to $80 you go.

Jimmy Stang
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Apparently Netflix is supposed to launch in Canada tomorrow, according to Reuters:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCATRE68J4MX20100920

It will be interesting to see how the pricing works out. I suppose that the next question is when the PS3 software will be updated to support it.

Russic
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Love to see NetFlix go live tomorrow. That Apple TV shipment seems to be taking forever!

opendoor
09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Still netflix is not a $106 stock. Back to $80 you go.

$106 looks pretty good now that NFLX is at $147.

FanIn80
09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings will be in Toronto Wednesday to launch an online video subscription service that allows Canadians to download their favorite flicks and TV shows for a monthly fee.

Netflix entering the Canadian market, its first foreign expansion, has local video distribution players girding for cutthroat competition as still more Internet content-streaming behemoths like Apple TV and Boxee get set to launch north of the border.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/21/netflix-set-to-launch-streaming-service-in-canada-as-revamped-apple-tv-nears-debut/

Burninator
09-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know if I am being cynical or realistic, but I bet the library that we get in Canada will be tiny compared to the US Netflix. I am still looking forward to see what we will get though. It's good I will buy one of the new Apple TV's for sure.

c.t.ner
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't know if I am being cynical or realistic, but I bet the library that we get in Canada will be tiny compared to the US Netflix. I am still looking forward to see what we will get though. It's good I will buy one of the new Apple TV's for sure.

It is.

It's incredibly tiny in comparison to the American version. I was contact by someone with an advanced look at neflix Canada and we went through the movies available on my American account (I live in Arlington, Virginia at the moment) and what was available to him in Canada.

They unfortunately didn't match up - at all. While we've had new releases like Iron Man, GI Joe, Armoured and others recently added to our instant tv streaming options, there was nothing like that in Canada. Out of the 20 newest tiltes we checked none were available in Canada.

Unless they are going to greatly up their available options for the big launch tomorrow, I would strongly suggest waiting a bit.

MickMcGeough
09-21-2010, 09:19 PM
It is.

It's incredibly tiny in comparison to the American version. I was contact by someone with an advanced look at neflix Canada and we went through the movies available on my American account (I live in Arlington, Virginia at the moment) and what was available to him in Canada.

They unfortunately didn't match up - at all. While we've had new releases like Iron Man, GI Joe, Armoured and others recently added to our instant tv streaming options, there was nothing like that in Canada. Out of the 20 newest tiltes we checked none were available in Canada.

Unless they are going to greatly up their available options for the big launch tomorrow, I would strongly suggest waiting a bit.
Not that surprising, but extremely disappointing.

FanIn80
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
The big stuff will come. It's already available in iTunes on the Apple TV, no reason why it won't be on Netflix too.

babs
09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Looks like netflix.ca is now up and running with actual content. Price is showing as $7.99/month.

KTrain
09-22-2010, 08:20 AM
And it looks BRUTAL!

You know the selection is going to suck when they don't even have a "new releases" section.

Boblobla
09-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Is zip.ca better than canflix?

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
So I signed up for an account - free month.

What c.t.ner said is unfortunately quite true - the selection is a little lacking. Even some older titles that I searched for were not available. There are still thousands of movies on there, but I searched for a few things with limited success.

When signing up, it says that you can stream to Wii, PS3, iPhone, and your computer, and Xbox is coming "later this fall". I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you whether the Netflix is actually on the PS3 video menu. I'll probably try the iPhone app at lunch. Streaming on PC seems good though.

Another slight annoyance is that it doesn't appear that you can save a list of things that you'd like to watch. I'd like to be able to browse the movies and make a list so that I can remember what I want to see.

So... slightly disappointed at the selection but optimistic that they'll get their stuff sorted out soon.

kdogg
09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow...their selection is terrible!

Every new movie release (within the last month) I searched for, wasn't available.

PS3 Video Store >>> Netflix.ca

And I thought the PS3 Video store wasn't very good.....

Does anyone know how Apple TV compares? Does it have the best online rental library available to Canada?
________
CHILD WELLBUTRIN (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Tyler
09-22-2010, 08:38 AM
For those with iPhones:

Google - 'netflix app' and then click on the first link. That will download the application for you to stream to your iPhones.

For some reason the app isn't available in the CDN iTunes store yet.

Crappy selection, but it will get better, and streaming to your phone on your commute in the morning is nice!

HeartsOfFire
09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Until support for the 360 is available I won't even consider Netflix. Hopefully by then the library will have improved.

Still, there's something about the novelty of zip.ca that streaming Canflix (Props, boblobla) can't do anything about.

I'm skeptical. I'm afraid that I just cannot see enough incentive to switch. Yet.

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
For those with iPhones:

Google - 'netflix app' and then click on the first link. That will download the application for you to stream to your iPhones.

For some reason the app isn't available in the CDN iTunes store yet.

Crappy selection, but it will get better, and streaming to your phone on your commute in the morning is nice!

I was able to find the Netflix app in the Canadian store, both via iTunes and on my phone. Maybe it just got updated?

Boblobla
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Until support for the 360 is available I won't even consider Netflix. Hopefully by then the library will have improved.

Still, there's something about the novelty of zip.ca that streaming Canflix (Props, boblobla) can't do anything about.

I'm skeptical. I'm afraid that I just cannot see enough incentive to switch. Yet.

I had Canflix for about 6 months and found the selection to be okay but the delay on new releases was unreal.

HeartsOfFire
09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Canflix is a real service? My apologies, I thought that was the nickname you were giving to Canadian Netflix.

c.t.ner
09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
So... slightly disappointed at the selection but optimistic that they'll get their stuff sorted out soon.

We use the wii streaming on our tv and it's amazing. But yeah, when we were going through some basic titles, the Canadian version didn't have anything. Including some of the neat little b-rated knock offs like Transmorfers 2 and Paranormal Enitiy... It's a shame.

It feels like it took so long to make it's way to Canada and then they deliver a dud of a project. Down here we find that streaming movies is a bit of a let down, it's great for TV but it takes ages for new movies to be available in the streaming section.

fredr123
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
All this will change when the new copyright law reforms are passed and Canada is no longer the pirate haven it currently is. It's because of this lawlessness north of the 49th that Canada lags so far behind the USA. I imagine once this is solved, the government will move on to solve the problems currently plaguing the mobile telecommunications industry.

Right?

Art Vandelay
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Signed up for the free month. Obviously not having the latest movies is a bit of a downer. I guess it is only $8 a month and there are a lot of movies that I haven't seen before. I guess I'll see how much i use it before i decide to continue or not.

It is nice though to hit play on my iPad and it starts the movie within 20 seconds.

MickMcGeough
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Loving Netflix so far. Not having the new releases doesn't bother me all that much; if it's new and I have to see it immediately I probably want to watch it on blu-ray anyway.

Great stuff for $8/mo.

HeartsOfFire
09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
All this will change when the new copyright law reforms are passed and Canada is no longer the pirate haven it currently is. It's because of this lawlessness north of the 49th that Canada lags so far behind the USA. I imagine once this is solved, the government will move on to solve the problems currently plaguing the mobile telecommunications industry.

Right?

That reminds me, got to get on my MP, and MP Tony Clement's doorsteps and tell them Bill C-32 needs to be changed.

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm trying to find the silver lining, and so far the BBC selection seems positive. If you're of limey blood like me, or at least like British TV, this might help ease the disappointment. Lots of good wildlife documentaries (I could listen to David Attenborough all day), Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Little Britain, MI5. My Mum will be pretty stoked for Ballykissangel - terrible show. ;)

Russic
09-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey c.t.ner ... What's the situation for new movies in the states? How long do you generally have to wait?

I think for $8/month this is a great deal. Within 3 minutes I could see about 10 movies I'd like to watch. I understand some are disappointed but this is a massive step forward. Even look at what iTunes was last year and you can see Canada has come a very far distance. It will take some patience, but netflix will get much better.

To me the biggest disappointment is the lack of a queue. That's a pretty important step.

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
To me the biggest disappointment is the lack of a queue. That's a pretty important step.

For the time being I am using a bookmarks folder in Firefox and I'm just dragging each movie/show page into that folder. I'm notorious for browsing, thinking that I'd like to watch something, and then forgetting.

It won't help me any on the PS3 or the iPhone, but it seems like the easiest way to save a list until the queue is introduced. I'm assuming that they will - I agree that it is pretty important.

anyonebutedmonton
09-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Im actually fairly impressed with the tv series selection...

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

I have Mad Men season 1 & 2 shrinkwrapped on my shelf for watching as soon as I'm finished Lost, but seeing that they're available on Netflix, I might just try and rid myself of them.

c.t.ner
09-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey c.t.ner ... What's the situation for new movies in the states? How long do you generally have to wait?

I think for $8/month this is a great deal. Within 3 minutes I could see about 10 movies I'd like to watch. I understand some are disappointed but this is a massive step forward. Even look at what iTunes was last year and you can see Canada has come a very far distance. It will take some patience, but netflix will get much better.

Wo. Wo.. You don't have an instant queue in the Canadian version? That's pretty weak.

In regards to movies being added to the view straight away, they take a few months - up to a year - after they've been released. I may have mentioned this earlier, but we just got Iron Man and GIJoe added to our instant queue. For the longest time the Proposal was the only big movie on the "Instant option". For TV shows it's even shorter. We've been able to watch all the seasons of Bones, Veronica Mars, 24, The Wire, etc.

For 8 dollars a month down here, we get all of the streaming - including Wii, PS3 and Xbox streaming. But we also get a DVD sent in the mail. Which usually comes to us every 48 hours.

Anyways, I don't know how long it will take Netflix Canada to catch-up. I hope it is sooner rather than later, because right now I have a bad taste in my mouth from the Netflix launch.

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Wo. Wo.. You don't have an instant queue in the Canadian version? That's pretty weak.

In regards to movies being added to the view straight away, they take a few months - up to a year - after they've been released. I may have mentioned this earlier, but we just got Iron Man and GIJoe added to our instant queue. For the longest time the Proposal was the only big movie on the "Instant option". For TV shows it's even shorter. We've been able to watch all the seasons of Bones, Veronica Mars, 24, The Wire, etc.

Yep - no instant queue. Bit of a pain, actually. Even the screenshots for the iPhone app show the queue, but the actual app doesn't show it.

And unfortunately ALL of the TV shows that you mention aren't available in the Canadian version.

Prototype
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Been waiting for this for a while. Just signed up.

Raekwon
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I signed up for the free month. Looking through teh list the selection of older movies I forgot exsisted or completely missed will keep me busy forever. Love this. All you need to know is that they have this movie.

http://cdn-2.nflximg.com/en_CA/boxshots/large/70051942.jpg

pria(kin)16
09-22-2010, 12:49 PM
All you need to know is that they have this movie.

http://cdn-2.nflximg.com/en_CA/boxshots/large/70051942.jpg

Best line of the film is Lucas describing the Power Glove, "It's Bad."

Burninator
09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I am going to give it a shot. I ordered the disc for the Wii. But if I like it I will be ordering the new Apple TV and using that.

I anticipated the selection to be limited so in that respect I am not too disappointed, and it will get better. It has Mad Men which will be worth the $8 a month for a couple months. I am most looking forward to older TV shows and movies. I don't think it's that hard to find new releases (not as cheap of course) but with Shaw on Demand and iTunes it's harder to find older good movies for a really low price.

Devils'Advocate
09-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Really? I couldn't find ANYTHING.

I tried ER, and it said it didn't have it, but I could get Sponge Bob Squarepants.

I tried Star Trek: TNG Season 1 and it said it didn't have it, but I should try "Heavy Metal".

I tried "Ally McBeal" and it said it didn't have it, but I should watch "Thirtysomething".

I tried "Criminal Minds" and it said it didn't have it, but I should watch "Monk".

From what I can see, I wouldn't use this service even if it was 100% free.

Buff
09-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Really? I couldn't find ANYTHING.

I tried ER, and it said it didn't have it, but I could get Sponge Bob Squarepants.

I tried Star Trek: TNG Season 1 and it said it didn't have it, but I should try "Heavy Metal".

I tried "Ally McBeal" and it said it didn't have it, but I should watch "Thirtysomething".

I tried "Criminal Minds" and it said it didn't have it, but I should watch "Monk".

From what I can see, I wouldn't use this service even if it was 100% free.

I wanted to see how many searches it took me until it actually had something I searched for. I got bored and stopped after the 8th search. I really hope their library increases because right now their service just isn't for me.

Prototype
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
The way I see it... it's full of stuff I wouldn't buy (aside frome maybe Mad Men and Heroes), but things I would still want to watch. I think it's a good mix of older stuff that ranges between cheese and cult classics.

If you're looking for a service that offers new releases, this isn't it. Didn't expect it either when I was looking up the US service. Already knew they weren't known for their newer stuff. Looked at the catalog on their website, and saw enough there to try the one month free.

Lots of stuff I will be watching over the next little bit.

Byrns
09-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Ha! Shenanigans!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/netflix-apologizes-for-using-actors-to-meet-press-at-canadian-launch/article1718924/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheGlobeAndMail-Business+%28The+Globe+and+Mail+-+Business+News%29&utm_content=Google+International

MickMcGeough
09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Ha! Shenanigans!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/netflix-apologizes-for-using-actors-to-meet-press-at-canadian-launch/article1718924/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheGlobeAndMail-Business+%28The+Globe+and+Mail+-+Business+News%29&utm_content=Google+International
So awesome.

Acey
09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Niiice the iPhone app syncs up with where you left off on your desktop. I'll use this to work my through Heroes, Justified, Mad Men, stuff I didn't get around to. For new stuff, I have a DVR...

Quality is great on the iPhone. Would be ridiculous with an iPhone 4. This is simply more convenient than torrenting everything.

corporatejay
09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Niiice the iPhone app syncs up with where you left off on your desktop. I'll use this to work my through Heroes, Justified, Mad Men, stuff I didn't get around to. For new stuff, I have a DVR...

Quality is great on the iPhone. Would be ridiculous with an iPhone 4. This is simply more convenient than torrenting everything.

Maybe a stupid question but can you "download" things to the phone so that you aren't streaming and getting killed over 3G?

BlAcKNoVa
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow, the selection is bad. Why list things if they aren't available?

I did sign up for the free month, and will give it a shot at a later date but right now forget it.

Jimmy Stang
09-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Maybe a stupid question but can you "download" things to the phone so that you aren't streaming and getting killed over 3G?

Not that I can tell thus far. Too bad really, because it would be cool to rent a couple of movies for a plane ride or something. I guess that's where iTunes has the edge for that type of thing.

MickMcGeough
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Anybody have any suggestions for Windows Netflix apps that can be controlled with a remote?

I know Windows Media Center has one, any others anyone can recommend?

Antithesis
09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Well ... I'm certainly not going to waste my free month on what they currently have up there.

Lithium
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Anyone that checked out the free month should check out both seasons of "Primeval", that show is amazing. Dinosaurs+modern day=great TV.

KTrain
09-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok, I've had a change of heart.

I signed up for the trial and downloaded the iPad app and connected to my PS3. While the selection still isn't great I could definitely see myself getting my $8 a month worth.

Inferno
09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
edit:

Nevermind, looks like the server was just busy. I tried it about 20 minutes later and it let me sign in.

Tyler
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Just tried using this on my 3G iPhone on the commute home.

Constant freezing, re-buffering, every few minutes.

Might be my processor, but not impressed so far. Does it work better to pause it for a few minutes and let it download a bit?

Russic
09-23-2010, 12:02 AM
It's not good if you're searching for something specific, but for general browsing it's great. I suppose if you don't like it you can try the other movie streaming service in Canada ... Oh wait.

Devils'Advocate
09-23-2010, 02:07 AM
It's not good if you're searching for something specific, but for general browsing it's great. I suppose if you don't like it you can try the other movie streaming service in Canada ... Oh wait.

Or I could continue using Zip. It's not like I *have* to use a streaming service.

Rathji
09-23-2010, 06:01 AM

What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?

Roast Beef
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
I love this service. The lack of newer content does not bother me. After browsing the library for a measly 10 minutes I have already found enough content that I could easily spend over $100 on iTunes to watch it all.

fundmark19
09-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree I found enough content that makes it worth paying for the first year! Hopefully selection gets better after that

Jimmy Stang
09-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm warming up to it after my initial gripes about the selection. The documentaries and British TV are actually not too bad, and that's a big plus for me. I'm still hoping that some new deals will come along with distributors so we can get some more content.

The PS3 interface is pretty decent. It installed quickly and now I have Netflix under my "Video" menu. It seems nice and clean, fairly fast, and the movies streamed nicely without issue. The PS3 Blu-Ray remote worked nicely with it as well.

MickMcGeough
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?
What straight download service are you talking about?

The difference is with streaming, you sit down, pick a movie, and watch (be it on AppleTV or your PS3 or your iPad or whatever). To download a movie in HD usually takes hours before you can watch.

KTrain
09-23-2010, 08:37 AM

The integration with all your devices it nice. I can start a movie on my PS3, stop it and open my iPad and start watching where I left off. Stop that and continue it on my iPhone.

It really is nice to be able to start a movie or TV show to see if you like it and not have to download it all only to be disappointed.

Raekwon
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Regarding the selection I read an interesting article yesterday. They figured the gap between canadian/us netflix would eventually be non-exsistent mainly due to the fact that when US netflix users travel to Canada they don't have access to the service and vice versa for us. Eventually there would just be the same netflix available to both US and Canada so there would be no limitations during travel. Of course some of this has to do with what fredr123 pointed out above.

Rathji
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
What straight download service are you talking about?

The difference is with streaming, you sit down, pick a movie, and watch (be it on AppleTV or your PS3 or your iPad or whatever). To download a movie in HD usually takes hours before you can watch.

Zip.ca, iTunes etc.

I didn't realize the download time was really that long. I know I can torrent a show in less than an hour when my PVR flubs up recording it so I assumed it would be at least that good.

To anyone who has the service, how long does it take to buffer enough to start to watch? A few minutes?

The integration with all your devices it nice. I can start a movie on my PS3, stop it and open my iPad and start watching where I left off. Stop that and continue it on my iPhone.

It really is nice to be able to start a movie or TV show to see if you like it and not have to download it all only to be disappointed.

Ok, I am sold.

It drives me crazy that I can watch a show on my iPod, then watch a couple on my TV through my O!Play and need to hunt for the same episode, or same spot in the show the next day when I am on the bus.

That alone would be worth the subscription price and the Apple TV.

Edit: It apparently works with my Wii as well! Anything else notable it works with other than the consoles and the Apple devices? WD HD TV? O!Play?

fundmark19
09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Took max 30 seconds last night when I started watching the show My Boys with my wife. It was solid quality as well

troutman
09-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Blockbuster has filed for bankruptcy in the US, largely because of Netflix.

MickMcGeough
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Zip.ca, iTunes etc.

I didn't realize the download time was really that long. I know I can torrent a show in less than an hour when my PVR flubs up recording it so I assumed it would be at least that good.

To anyone who has the service, how long does it take to buffer enough to start to watch? A few minutes?

Zip.ca does downloads?

When I'm talking about downloading an HD movie, I'm talking about torrenting a good quality 720p 5.1 mkv. They generally run about 4GB. Netflix HD is not on that level quality-wise, but for times when I don't think ahead of time to torrent a movie, it's great.

On my connection an HD movie buffers for maybe 5-10 seconds before I can watch it. iTunes streaming is comparable. Yeah, it downloads the file for you to watch later but you can start watching those almost immediately too.

bubbsy
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

serves them right. How does the #1 rental movie company sit on their hands and not be the group to integrate (ie. innovate) movies and the web?!?

While blockbuster's main accomplishments over the past few years businesss innovation wise has been gettting rid of late fees, other companies have found a way to get movies to customers faster, through the most up and coming medium available.

Mccree
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
IF you have both a WII and a PS3 can I use the same account for both and would I have to pay for two subscriptions?

Raekwon
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
IF you have both a WII and a PS3 can I use the same account for both and would I have to pay for two subscriptions?

Same for both.

kdogg
09-23-2010, 12:48 PM
serves them right. How does the #1 rental movie company sit on their hands and not be the group to integrate (ie. innovate) movies and the web?!?

While blockbuster's main accomplishments over the past few years businesss innovation wise has been gettting rid of late fees, other companies have found a way to get movies to customers faster, through the most up and coming medium available.

My thoughts exactly. They didn't react to a changing market.
________
BUBBLER PIPE (http://bubblers.net/)

Prototype
09-23-2010, 01:00 PM

10-30 seconds over not amazing Wifi. Sometimes a small pause within the first 30 seconds of the movie/show, nothing after that.

Prototype
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
My thoughts exactly. They didn't react to a changing market.

Although a different identity... When I worked for Blockbuster Canada (which is still alive, for now) it was right when DVD was being introduced in 1999. Long after I left... around 2004/2005 ish, they started to eliminate VHS, but wouldn't complete it until closer to 2006/2007.

They could have easily dictated the market, rather than let the market dictate what they were going to do.

I'm surprised they haven't opening an exclusive Bluray store yet. I get that not a strong number of the population have Bluray, but they would get Bluray if it meant that they could rent again.

Burninator
09-23-2010, 01:07 PM
What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?Netflix advertises itself as a compliment to your cable service, not a replacement. Apple TV is somewhere in the middle of a compliment and a replacement to your cable. But the biggest difference between them is that Netflix is a subscription service and Apple TV (iTunes) is an al a carte service. I think you can use them together quiet nicely.

Netflix will be a good place for me to watch older movies and older TV shows. Apple TV is a good way to watch digital content that I already have and will allow me to purchase TV shows that I want to own. Plus the other Apple TV features are nice. Cable is good for new TV shows, sports and idly watching something (I suppose Netflix could work for this as well).

I almost wish that I didn't watch sports then I could drop cable and live off al a carte and Netflix streaming quite happily.

WilsonFourTwo
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM

When there was no competition, Blockbuster was the biggest corporate a-hole in North America. It may have taken a long time, but it's nice to see them get their comeuppance.

Hemi-Cuda
09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Netflix advertises itself as a compliment to your cable service, not a replacement. Apple TV is somewhere in the middle of a compliment and a replacement to your cable. But the biggest difference between them is that Netflix is a subscription service and Apple TV (iTunes) is an al a carte service. I think you can use them together quiet nicely.

Netflix will be a good place for me to watch older movies and older TV shows. Apple TV is a good way to watch digital content that I already have and will allow me to purchase TV shows that I want to own. Plus the other Apple TV features are nice. Cable is good for new TV shows, sports and idly watching something (I suppose Netflix could work for this as well).

I almost wish that I didn't watch sports then I could drop cable and live off al a carte and Netflix streaming quite happily.

thanks to Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, and History Channel HD, i can probably never get rid of my cable. besides sports which is another big reason, i love browsing a week or two in advance on each of those stations and recording anything that looks interesting, which is a lot. and if i'm bored during the day i can flip on the TV and almost be guaranteed to have at least 1 good show on one of those 3 channels

Devils'Advocate
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I *HAVE* dropped my cable.

- CFL games I can get on TSN
- NHL games I will get on Gamecentre Live
- NFL games are still a problem.... yes, I could sign onto the equivelant to GameCentre, but it would cost just as much as having cable. But I'm okay with watching whatever CTV and CityTV give me on my rabbit ears.

With iTunes + Zip, I've got more than enough to watch. I was hoping Netflix would give me one more avenue, but alas...

Raekwon
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Can I get the same content on a Home Theatre PC running Itunes as I can with apple TV? Are the movies on there new releases?

Rathji
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Zip.ca does downloads?

When I'm talking about downloading an HD movie, I'm talking about torrenting a good quality 720p 5.1 mkv. They generally run about 4GB. Netflix HD is not on that level quality-wise, but for times when I don't think ahead of time to torrent a movie, it's great.

On my connection an HD movie buffers for maybe 5-10 seconds before I can watch it. iTunes streaming is comparable. Yeah, it downloads the file for you to watch later but you can start watching those almost immediately too.

I thought they did, but I guess not.

Jimmy Stang
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I thought they did, but I guess not.

They have been saying "coming soon" for the past year or two. I was expecting some kind of joint venture with Netflix (Zip handling the mail side, Netflix the streaming), but that was just a guess on my part. A wrong one at that. ;)

Burninator
09-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I *HAVE* dropped my cable.

- CFL games I can get on TSN
- NHL games I will get on Gamecentre Live
- NFL games are still a problem.... yes, I could sign onto the equivelant to GameCentre, but it would cost just as much as having cable. But I'm okay with watching whatever CTV and CityTV give me on my rabbit ears.

With iTunes + Zip, I've got more than enough to watch. I was hoping Netflix would give me one more avenue, but alas...Do you live in Calgary? Because I thought Gamecentre Live blocked out regional games. Do you watch them on your computer or TV?

yads
09-24-2010, 09:00 AM
They do, so hopefully he doesn't live in the Flames local broadcast area

Russic
09-24-2010, 09:15 AM

There are many movies that I wouldn't want to directly pay for nor would I want to store them. I guess you could just delete them after you watch, but if I pay for it I want to hold onto it. If I'm paying $8/month it's much more likely that I'd watch something like Riding Giants (surfing documentary), but I probably wouldn't buy it on it's own.

Blockbuster charged me $65 for guitar hero: 80's edition once. I returned it, they lost it, I got to buy it. I hope netflix brings it to it's damned knees. I feel sorry for those losing their jobs, but the company itself can screw right off.

MickMcGeough
09-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I feel sorry for those losing their jobs, but the company itself can screw right off.
I just can't wrap my head around how they can watch their industry transforming every day and do nothing at all to adapt...

Prototype
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Watched Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog last night with NPH... Absolutely amazing. Something I had always wanted to watch, but never was in the mood when seeing it on the shelf at Blockbuster, nor did I want to buy it on DVD.

I was so impressed I bought it off of iTunes within minutes of watching it. Would love to watch it again, and didn't want it to kill me with data plan if I wasn't around Wifi or anything of the sort.

Devils'Advocate
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Do you live in Calgary? Because I thought Gamecentre Live blocked out regional games. Do you watch them on your computer or TV?

I'm a fan of the Devils in the East, Flames in the West, and live in Ottawa.

Burninator
09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
How is everyone liking it so far?

I haven't gotten much of a chance to use it because they ran out of Wii disc's. Hopefully it will get to me tonight or tomorrow. They did extent my free trial by week to make up for it. I am little concerned about the quality that the Wii can put out seeing as it's not even component.

Crazy Bacon Legs
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Still no word on Xbox 360 huh? anyone heard anything? I'm not interested until they have that capability.

Has their selection improved at all since launch?

MickMcGeough
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm mostly just bummed that none of the remote-controlled PC software supports Netflix yet. MCE, Boxee - no go.

Jimmy Stang
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm enjoying it so far. I have watched some random shows, some Little Britain, a strange documentary on a couple of guys that are stalkers of Tiffany, and some of Shortbus to see Sook Yin's boobies (a bit of a let down). And regarding Shortbus, I'm no prude, but it is very erotic (and homo-erotic) and contained way too much schlong. But I digress.

The best thing that I have watched so far is Wild China (just the first episode so far). It is a beautifully filmed documentary series in the typical BBC style. David Attenborough does not narrate this one, but it is still well worth it.

The movies start to stream after about 10 seconds of buffering on my PS3. I haven't had anything stutter or drop out on me. I did notice at one point the picture became a little pixellated briefly but quickly recovered. The PS3 blu-ray remote works really well, skipping ahead and back isn't bad either, even though it kind of does it in chunks as opposed to the usual "seeking" that you can do with a disc.

iPhone app works nicely, even when I tried it briefly on 3G. On wifi at home it is nice and clear and actually better than I had expected.

Best thing about it: being able to resume your show at the point where you left it, even on different devices. iPhone, PS3, PC, etc. all pick up where you left off, no matter what you were watching it on before.

The thing that I am warming up to: The selection. If you're looking for blockbusters, first-run, etc. movies, you're going to be disappointed. For older titles, British TV, documentaries, the occasional movie, etc. it is probably worth the $8 a month for me. For a while at least. By then I'm hoping that more distributors come on board because eventually I'll be looking for something fresh.

Tangent: NBC and Netflix just announced that next week they will be rolling out some more shows (Saturday Night Live among others). No specific mention of Canada, but I'm guessing that the distribution rights are different for Canada and that we'll be left out again. And then the Canadian distributors will whine and cry that they are losing money to piracy instead of actually letting people pay for their content on Netflix.

The thing that sucks: No queue. I want to be able to save a list of things that I want to watch. The US version has this, and I can't quite fathom why it wouldn't be available here.

bubbsy
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
will the output quality (A/V) on the 360 be equivalent to that of the PS3?

When does xbox support kick in?

Inferno
09-29-2010, 04:35 PM
So far I'm liking it. I watched Season 1 of Paranormal State this weekend and am now onto season 2. Like many of mentioned, there aren't any blockbusters but there's plenty of shows that I'd be interested in watching but would never buy that will keep me going beyond the free month.

Russic
09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
While it does lack in content, there's still almost too much to watch. Maybe if I only had netflix, but netflix + cable is just silly. I'd love to watch the 3 or 4 seasons of mythbusters along with the several seasons of deadliest catch, but I just don't have time. I'm still keeping it just for those "can't sleep" moments.

Jayems
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Put me in the waiting for 360 support to come out before starting the trial.

Diverce
09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm enjoying it.... I find myself watching shows though just because.... ninja cheerleaders wasn't as good as I was hoping for :(

But The Wizard is still awesome!

photon
09-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Wait, there's Mythbusters?

*signs up*

Russic
09-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Wait, there's Mythbusters?

*signs up*

Seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5

photon
09-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, some other stuff there too I'm interested in, so signed up for now.

The HD quality is not bad, the regular looks like crap on my monitor, will have to check it out on my iPad and TV when the Wii disc gets here.

It's frustrating though, I'll be browsing see a few things that I kind of want to see and then think of something I really want to see and it won't be there. Over and over.

If they flesh out the selection though to match what I'd be able to rent at Blockbuster, I'm sold.

yads
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5
Is it in available in HD?

Russic
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Is it in available in HD?

I don't believe so.

Jimmy Stang
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't believe so.

I just tested it out and it is only SD. Looks like native 16:9 though, which to me is a bigger deal than the actual picture quality. I cant stand stretching, and I'm not particularly fond of pillarboxing.

Russic
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I just tested it out and it is only SD. Looks like native 16:9 though, which to me is a bigger deal than the actual picture quality. I cant stand stretching, and I'm not particularly fond of pillarboxing.

Excellent point. Standard def 16x9 vs. HD becomes almost a toss-up to me once file size is concerned. Obviously with netflix it doesn't really matter, but when it comes to downloading I'm with you.

Jayems
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM
It appears that our original suspicions (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65689) were accurate, Canadian Xbox 360 users will get their hands on Netflix alongside the upcoming dashboard update.

Playing with the new Xbox 360 dashboard (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65796) last night, we discovered the addition of Netflix to the Canadian Video Marketplace. In testing, the application performed as well as the service has in our experience on PC and the PS3.
Unfortunately, the application does not have any support for an "Instant Watch Queue," as the feature is completely omitted from the Canadian version of the service. The Canadian Xbox 360 application does support searching, an addition also making its debut to U.S. Netflix customers in the upcoming update.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65812

Now to find out when that next update comes out...

Titan
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
With a free month I am willing to sign up and see if more stuff is added. It works on the iphone to stream movies which is quite cool.

Art Vandelay
10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Got my Wii disc on Friday. Works really well. Obviously being SD only, it doesn't compare to watching BluRay, but it'll do. I think it's well worth the $8 just for the different kids shows on there.

Burninator
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I still haven't got my Wii disc. It apparently shipped last monday. This free trial isn't really happening for me yet.

Prototype
10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I still haven't got my Wii disc. It apparently shipped last monday. This free trial isn't really happening for me yet.

Took just over a week for me to get mine (Signed up the first day, got it last Friday.)

The one thing I didn't expect was you need the disc in the Wii to use Netflix. Thought it was going to just be something you'd download from the disc. No bid deal for me, cause I'm really only using the Wii for Netflix right now.

TSXCman
10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
what do you guys think of the consumption of such a product? I'm on rogers currently and they have low internet caps, would watching HD programming sap my usage in a hurry?

Roast Beef
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
This is just a rough calculation on my part. A standard SD stream runs at about 1.5 megabits per second. HD content streams at around 3.8 megabits per second.

1 hour of SD content will use about 675 megabytes. 1 hour of HD content will use about 1.7 Gigabytes.

MJM
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Netflix sucks? Everything I go to watch is "Not available". Basically, any movie made within the past 2 years is not available. Have to watch older stuff.

Raekwon
10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Netflix sucks? Everything I go to watch is "Not available". Basically, any movie made within the past 2 years is not available. Have to watch older stuff.

I think you just went in with the wrong expectations

MJM
10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I think you just went in with the wrong expectations

I just find it rather annoying that new releases are available on the US Netflix and not in Canada.

Roast Beef
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I just find it rather annoying that new releases are available on the US Netflix and not in Canada.

That is a bummer. Given the differences in broadcast rights between the two countries I think it's a small miracle that we even have Netflix at all up here.

kdogg
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM

I agree. I'm usually up to date on movies I want to see. I only look at new releases.

Netflix isn't for me.

bradster57
10-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Is this the case? I have never looked at the US catalogue myself but have heard that the selection of new releases stateside is minimal too.

Prototype
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I read somewhere the CEO of Netflix say they aren't offering New Releases right away, because they are not in the market to challenge our providers, who all now offer on demand on new release movies.

Netflix is a great option if you're someone who enjoys just browsing a library of movies for something that jumps out at you.

If you're the type of renter that goes to Blockbuster to find a specific movie, this isn't for you. If you're the type that will go and look through all the older movies, the comedy, horror, action shelves, hoping to see something that will trigger the want to watch, Netflix is catered more to you.

Since moving to Bell about 2 years ago, my wife and I missed the On Demand service we had with Shaw... being able to search through hundreds of older movies. It was easy to get signed up on Netflix when it popped up.

BTW... I've watched all of the Godzilla cartoons atleast 3 times each since starting up with Netflix. My 2 year old loves them.

rubecube
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm loving being able to watch shows that I've always wanted to watch but never had access to (i.e. Mad Men).

Roast Beef
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm loving being able to watch shows that I've always wanted to watch but never had access to (i.e. Mad Men).

Same here. The BBC content alone is enough to make me happy. It's fun browsing through the catalog and finding a movie or tv show that I haven't seen or thought about in years. Easily worth the 8 bucks a month.

Russic
10-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Same here. The BBC content alone is enough to make me happy. It's fun browsing through the catalog and finding a movie or tv show that I haven't seen or thought about in years. Easily worth the 8 bucks a month.

Bingo. I'd probably pay a respectable amount just to have access to the bbc content.

Rathji
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Blockbuster sent me an email today, letting me know I could have unlimited rentals for $9.99. It is just on my phone so I don't have any details yet.

Still, I am probably more inclined to have it streamed than be forced to play it on my dvd player.

Edit: Turns out it isn't for new releases, pretty much matching the current NetFlix model, but you can only have 1 DVD out at a time. Seriously if they want me to drive to the freaking store in between movies, or discs of a TV series they have a serious hole in their head.

Prototype
10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Blockbuster sent me an email today, letting me know I could have unlimited rentals for $9.99. It is just on my phone so I don't have any details yet.

We actually did this the month before Netflix came out, and it kinda made sense as we have a 2 year old Disney freak in our house. We didn't abuse it, but we got our money's worth out of it.

But with Netflix, there's so much family and children content to keep the little guy occupied, I think the only reason I would step foot in a BBV is to rent a new release or buy a previously viewed Bluray, maybe once a month.

Crazy Bacon Legs
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Globe and Mail had a review of Netflix Canada yesterday:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/globe-on-technology/serendipity-nostalgia-make-netflix-worth-the-8/article1743107/

I still haven't tried it out as it doesn't work with the Xbox yet, but I'm eager to check it out once it does. I want to watch stuff on my tv, not my PC.

username
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I've been using Nexflix through my Apple TV and it's pretty good I guess. TBQH I expected it to be a little better. I don't mind the movie selection, however it would be nice if they would offer new releases.

Has anyone else noticed that it freezes from time to time during movies? I can only assume it's buffering but it's quite annoying.

fundmark19
10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
So I just got an xbox and I am trying to download netflix but can't find it? I. Allready have it on my ps3's I just can't seem to find where to download it on xbox. First time using this thing

psicodude
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
So I just got an xbox and I am trying to download netflix but can't find it? I. Allready have it on my ps3's I just can't seem to find where to download it on xbox. First time using this thing

You can't find it because it doesn't exist....yet.

Supposedly within a few weeks but nothing solid that I have seen.

Meelapo
10-11-2010, 11:07 PM

You'll be able to use Netflix on your XBox 360 when Microsoft releases their fall dashboard update whenever that is.

fundmark19
10-12-2010, 08:10 AM
oh dang! I thought they all ready did. When I was googling is it true that only Gold members get access to Netflix? I have no need to pay for xbox live as I don't really game all that much and am just using it to watch dvds and as a mediaserver/netflix

KTrain
10-12-2010, 08:37 AM
oh dang! I thought they all ready did. When I was googling is it true that only Gold members get access to Netflix? I have no need to pay for xbox live as I don't really game all that much and am just using it to watch dvds and as a mediaserver/netflix

Why aren't you just using your PS3 for these things? Or is it on a different TV?

fundmark19
10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Different TV.

I have 1 ps3 set for family room
1 Ps3 for home theater in basement
1 xbox for bedroom streaming

anybody looking to trade an ps3 for an xbox see buy sell forum!

Bob
10-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Have there been any new releases since the service debuted in Canada? I love the idea of Netflix, especially coupled with the new AppleTV, but I was really hoping for a more regular release schedule. Ideally you'd get several movies and a few TVs shows added like every Thursday or something.

Prototype
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Things that I hadn't seen before pops up on my lists all the time, but I don't think it's new stuff added, just stuff I hadn't uncovered yet.

The "New Releases" lists haven't changed, that I've noticed.

Meelapo
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Have there been any new releases since the service debuted in Canada? I love the idea of Netflix, especially coupled with the new AppleTV, but I was really hoping for a more regular release schedule. Ideally you'd get several movies and a few TVs shows added like every Thursday or something.

Here is the RSS feed of their new releases:

http://www.netflix.ca/NewWatchInstantlyRSS

Jayems
10-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Troopers? Gridiron Gang?

Teen Wolf FREAKIN Too?

Those are the new releases? :whaa:

I look forward to being 90 years old and getting to watch Avatar on it.

cKy
10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Do they have Teen Wolf one? They fricken better.

I hope they amp up the releases for holiday themes like Christmas and Halloween and whatnot. Be easier then trying to decide which movie to download for that x-mas spirit crap.

SuperMatt18
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Quick Question probably a Fata but does an account work on more then one computer/platform? Say if I sign up for it on my PS3 can it work on a different laptop or IP address?

Jimmy Stang
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Quick Question probably a Fata but does an account work on more then one computer/platform? Say if I sign up for it on my PS3 can it work on a different laptop or IP address?

You can register 6 devices on one account. I have my PS3, iPhone, and a couple of PCs on mine. You can also delete devices from your registered list, so if you change computers or something, you can deactivate the old one.

photon
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
FYI they now have the Wii software available for download instead of waiting for the disc.

cKy
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Go figure that xbox is the last one in line for the software. I assume it's coming with the dashboard update, that should be soon enough

Jimmy Stang
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I have been amassing a list of shows that I'd like to see by adding bookmarks in Firefox. The lack of a queue really is a limitation. I can't figure out why there's no queue for Canadians - how difficult would that be to implement?

That's my only real gripe at the moment. The documentaries and BBC content will keep me going for a while. I just wish I could flag them easily across devices for watching later.

User Name
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
just signed up for this on my wii, its sweet! Anyone have any hidden gems they've found? The selection is only so so at the moment. I like it for $8 though!

Burninator
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
FYI they now have the Wii software available for download instead of waiting for the disc.I've ordered two disc's which apparently have shipped, but nothing has come to my door.

Ending up buying an Apple TV anyways, much easier to use for me.

As for the instant queue, I can add things to it on Apple TV when I am in the selection for a season of a TV show, but I have no way to view it.

Devils'Advocate
10-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Have they added *ANYTHING* since launch?

Roast Beef
10-19-2010, 05:15 AM

I think they added The Human Centipede. I don't recall that tiltle being available at launch. It would not surprise me in the least if the liscense holders were holding content back until after the first month when the money would start rolling in.

Russic
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM

I've noticed on the iPad and ps3 the new arrivals show, but on the iPhone it doesn't change. Very odd. There are new things being added all the time ... Just nothing of overwhelming value.

Meelapo
10-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Yes they have. It seems they don't update their "Whats New" list but check this out for new releases:

Prototype
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
just signed up for this on my wii, its sweet! Anyone have any hidden gems they've found? The selection is only so so at the moment. I like it for $8 though!

Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long-Blog is fantastic. Had some desire to watch it before, but never acted upon it.

PS - "The Secret" is not the guide to Oprah-fy your life, as it's advertised on Netflix. It's this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446463/

Jimmy Stang
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
So I twittered Netflix (@netflixhelps) as to why there's no queue for Canada and their response was: "Thanks for your feedback. There's no Q because you can search for titles directly on each device and instantly watch your selection"

To which I responded with the question as to why US customers get a queue on their devices when they can also search directly on them. We'll see what they say. You can resume playback at the exact same spot across different devices (excellent feature!), yet you can't maintain a list of movies that you'd like to see?

I'll let you know what they say...

Prototype
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
You just got yourself a follower...

Jimmy Stang
10-20-2010, 02:18 PM
You just got yourself a follower...

Don't expect much - I'm a bit of a twitter lurker. Maybe one day I'll have something interesting to say! Actually, I think that we have mutual friend or two, assuming you went to Diefenbaker.

Meelapo
10-21-2010, 09:40 AM
So I twittered Netflix (@netflixhelps) as to why there's no queue for Canada and their response was: "Thanks for your feedback. There's no Q because you can search for titles directly on each device and instantly watch your selection"

To which I responded with the question as to why US customers get a queue on their devices when they can also search directly on them. We'll see what they say. You can resume playback at the exact same spot across different devices (excellent feature!), yet you can't maintain a list of movies that you'd like to see?

I'll let you know what they say...

What a dumb reason. Whether I can search or not has no bearing as to whether or not I want to watch a movie. A lot of the time I'll see a movie and say "Hey I want to watch that one time" but then a few days later I forget it. No search is going to help me remember it. A queue would be great.

Jimmy Stang
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
What a dumb reason. Whether I can search or not has no bearing as to whether or not I want to watch a movie. A lot of the time I'll see a movie and say "Hey I want to watch that one time" but then a few days later I forget it. No search is going to help me remember it. A queue would be great.

Exactly. As I understand it (maybe one of our American friends can confirm this), but US Netflix customers get a mail queue for DVDs, and an instant queue for streaming. Obviously the DVDs are a non-issue here, but why not let us make a streaming queue?

I saw a screenshot of the "new" disc-less interface that was released to US customers on Monday, which is all that we've every known here in Canada. The only difference: an instant queue. The iPhone app store screenshots show an instant queue.

Not sure why we can't have that too. Like you said, searching is one thing, but making a list of things to watch would add so much more value. I have been making bookmarks in Firefox to flag stuff that I'd like to watch, which does nothing for me on my iPhone or PS3. And the PS3 is where I'll watch 95% of the content.

HotHotHeat
10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Has anyone had luck getting 5.1 to work through Netflix on PS3? I change it to the 5.1 option but it just puts out 2 channel stereo.

Bob
10-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes they have. It seems they don't update their "Whats New" list but check this out for new releases:

Aliens!? MTS3K!? SNL w/ Chistopher Walken!? Nice!! :w00t:

Prototype
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
There already was a crap load of MST3K on there, but sadly no "The Movie", which I believe is the cream of the crop.

Managed to watch the Fallon, and both Ferrell "Best Of" already.

A few decient adds in "Airheads", "Brokedown Palace", "Batman: The Movie", and "White Men Can't Jump".

DownInFlames
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Today's Xbox 360 update adds Netflix support. The only problem is you need a gold Live account. Otherwise it seems to work the same as the PS3.

pylon
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
There already was a crap load of MST3K on there, but sadly no "The Movie", which I believe is the cream of the crop.

Managed to watch the Fallon, and both Ferrell "Best Of" already.

A few decient adds in "Airheads", "Brokedown Palace", "Batman: The Movie", and "White Men Can't Jump".

That is worth the price of admission alone. MST3K: The final sacrifice is the cream of the crop. And not just because it was filmed outside Calgary by some SAIT students for $1500 bucks. That has always been one of my all time favorites, and I didn't realize until viewing it a few days ago it had a local connection. Definitely 5 star viewing. ROWSDOWER!!!11!1!1one!!!

fundmark19
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
man I really want to watch netflix in the bedroom but I really dont want to pay for xbox live

Jimmy Stang
11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
man I really want to watch netflix in the bedroom but I really dont want to pay for xbox live

Would the web browser on the Xbox be able to view the videos through the web site? If it is anything like the PS3 browser, probably not. ;)

jammies
11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Today's Xbox 360 update adds Netflix support. The only problem is you need a gold Live account. Otherwise it seems to work the same as the PS3.

The "Gold" thing is ridiculous. What is Microsoft adding to Netflix, other than nothing?

SuperMatt18
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Just got Netflix yesterday and am really likeing it so far.

Hopefully we get the same amount of content that the Americans currently have to stream because at this time they have a lot better selection.

Still it is really good and worth the 7.99 a month

Jayems
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Xbox is definitely easier to navigate than wii, i found.

At this point, the selection doesn;t justify the cost... even at $8. Who wants to watch movies from 1993?

Rathji
11-04-2010, 10:59 PM

At this point, the selection doesn;t justify the cost... even at $8. Who wants to watch movies from 1993?

If I was to get it, it would be for TV series and the kids programming. The few movies on there really are not worth more than a weeks total watching at this point.

Incogneto
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM

....I just downloaded Revenge of the Nerds. Awesome.

TSXCman
11-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I started a netflix acct a couple days ago and am very entertained by the selection. lotsa weird stuff, lotsa stuff I remember liking and still do

Johnny Canuck
11-05-2010, 04:44 AM

I just finished watching IP Man on Netflix and definitely recommend it as a Hidden Gem (I hadn't heard of it until seeing it on Netflix). I'm usually not one for Martial Arts movies but this one was really well done and I enjoyed every minute of it.

One of many positive reviews:

"It's not often that one gets the opportunity to use the word "masterpiece" when talking about a martial arts film, but this one has definitely earned the label."

Raekwon
11-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Watch the movie"Thankskilling" on netflix and you will never question the $8 ever again!

Crispy's Critter
11-05-2010, 06:56 AM
I've been using it since the weekend, mostly watching TV shows. There are a few shows I've gotten into late, so missed the first few seasons, and I've been able to start watching the ones from the beginning. Also found a few shows that I'd never heard of, but look interesting. The movie selection isn't great, but the tv shows alone make it worth it for me.

I also found there are more things available that they don't show the thumbnails for if you do a search, which is kind of strange.

Russic
11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
It has Jennifer's Body ... that's only a year old. No boobs though. I guess that's the trade-off.

Devils'Advocate
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been using it since the weekend, mostly watching TV shows. There are a few shows I've gotten into late, so missed the first few seasons, and I've been able to start watching the ones from the beginning. Also found a few shows that I'd never heard of, but look interesting. The movie selection isn't great, but the tv shows alone make it worth it for me.

What TV shows on there did you find worth watching? All I see is Dead Zone, Babar, etc....

Rathji
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Mad Men, Weeds, Heroes, Dead like me, SNL (if you are into that kinda thing)

Dora, Sponge Bob, The Cat in the Hat knows about that, Blues Clues for the kids.

Just the fact that it means my PVR isn't filled with 50+ Dora episodes for my daughter means it is almost worth it for me. Add in the other kids shows and shows I would like to see and it is a no brainer.

That said, without new content I doubt I would keep a subscription longer than 3-4 months.

photon
11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Almost all the new content I see on the RSS feed is old movies.

fundmark19
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Old cartoons for iron man are on there to for kids

KTrain
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I cancelled my account. I'll wait for improved content.

For every "new" movie (2008-2009) there are 50 new movies from 1950-1970. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some of those are gems but most are unwatchable.

HotHotHeat
11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Justified.

TV series. All of season 1 is there. Best show I've seen in a longggg time.

Diemenz
11-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I also enjoyed IP Man, IP Man 2 is more action but lacks the storyline of IP Man.

Im a big fan of netflix; great time waster and is constantly improving the content.

I do however agree that movie wise its 1 out of 10 that are decent but 8 bucks a month is less then i spend on milk, and I get no entertainment value from milk.

Mango
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm still hemming and hawing. I'm not impressed with what's available so far, but it seems to be a great deal. Eight bucks a month, as mentioned above, is cheap for some decent entertainment.

La Flames Fan
11-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm a documentary whore and they have a great selection of docs.

No new movies? That's okay...these are the movies I've always wanted to see, but didn't want to waste my $6.00 at Blockbuster renting.

photon
11-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Alright this RSS feed is complete baloney, new stuff appears on it, but you can't watch it!! Just says not available...

Prototype
11-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Alright this RSS feed is complete baloney, new stuff appears on it, but you can't watch it!! Just says not available...

I opened the link on my iPhone, and got the US list.

Predator, Crash (the sexy one), Beastmaster (TV), Spawn, Blade, Office Space... lots of good older stuff on there now. Added some newer stuff like Bobby and The Illusionist lately as well.

Jimmy Stang
11-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Fubar (the original) just got added. Give'r.

burnin_vernon
11-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I have an American account but am in Canada now and Xbox won't let you change your address on your system. When I try to sign up, it sends me to netflix.ca where they tell me that I must live in Canada to subscribe.

I created a Canadian profile but because it isn't a GOLD account, I can't join there either. No way am I buying another gold account to try out Netflix.

Is there a way to fix this or am I hooped?

silentsim
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
call xbox live support, they likely can change the addy to cdn.

burnin_vernon
11-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Hmmm, I didn't try that but it seems others are saying xbox won't change it on the phone either.

SuperMatt18
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I have an American account but am in Canada now and Xbox won't let you change your address on your system. When I try to sign up, it sends me to netflix.ca where they tell me that I must live in Canada to subscribe.

I created a Canadian profile but because it isn't a GOLD account, I can't join there either. No way am I buying another gold account to try out Netflix.

Is there a way to fix this or am I hooped?

At the bottom of the Canadian page when you get directed to Netflix.ca there is a little link for the US site.

I am not sure if this is the case on the XBOX but it is there on my regular internet browser.

cKy
11-30-2010, 11:10 AM

When i tried to switch my xbox account from US to Canada I was told flat out no that it cannot be done and I would need to create a new Live account.

It was pretty ridiculous that they don't (or at least didn't) support this.

HotHotHeat
11-30-2010, 11:15 AM
The catalogue is growing faster than I can keep up with it. Kidnapped is a great series. So is Justified.

Da_Chief
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone know much about this Satellite Direct?
http://www.satellitedirect.com/home.php?hop=ggrgic&xsite=home#download

I basically watch my stuff on my computer so if this is legit than id be very interested in this.

photon
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Totally illegal.

Rathji
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I am about to end my trial month of netflix. I think I will keep it a couple more months and see if I am watching it as much as I am now. The option to set a laptop or my wife's iphone to a show for the kids, if I am unwilling to surrender the TV, is nice. Once

It really chews up bandwidth though, I wonder if Shaw will bitch.

Jimmy Stang
12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
It really chews up bandwidth though, I wonder if Shaw will bitch.

I'm sure that they'll keep an eye on it, but any action probably won't be due to bandwidth. It'll be to protect their own services (on demand, and cable TV itself) because people are becoming less reliant on traditional cable as everything goes internet based. Bandwidth will be given as a reason why they need to restrict/slow/etc. Netflix, which isn't completely baseless, but it is more about preserving their traditional services.

Shaw has typically been more flexible than Rogers, for example, when it comes to bandwidth. Rogers announced new bandwidth caps the day that Netflix was released in Canada, which kind of shows how they feel about the whole thing.

Tricky situation when the cable company is the internet company too.

Jimmy Stang
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Speaking of bandwidth, is there a way to gauge your bandwidth use with Shaw? I'm an occasional user of bandwidth-intensive things, but I'm not downloading gigs 24/7. It would just be interesting to see my usage.

HotHotHeat
12-07-2010, 03:22 PM
"Up" is on Netflix. Pretty early to be released there.

Rathji
12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Speaking of bandwidth, is there a way to gauge your bandwidth use with Shaw? I'm an occasional user of bandwidth-intensive things, but I'm not downloading gigs 24/7. It would just be interesting to see my usage.

There is a way to find it out, on the website, but I had to call and get it activated.

I tripled my normal bandwidth usage with adding netflix last month, and it bumped me just above my limit

Jimmy Stang
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
There is a way to find it out, on the website, but I had to call and get it activated.

I tripled my normal bandwidth usage with adding netflix last month, and it bumped me just above my limit

Just out of curiosity, what happened when you went over? A polite warning, or something a little more?

Jagger
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
"Up" is on Netflix. Pretty early to be released there.

Not on Netlfix Canada however.

There have been quite a few new releases recently, however. I'm happy with the service so far.

Rathji
12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Nothing so far.

In the past they have just given you a warning if you go over. I recently read on beyond.ca that they were working on charging for bandwidth overages like Bell was recently been given permission to do. A friend I have who works for Shaw confirmed the testing, and added there was a lot of work to be done before it went live.

As much as I dislike the idea of charging, it really makes sense when you think about it. As a cable provider they have competition in iTunes, Netflix and other download options (usenet, torrents) that simply leeches off their high speed internet. If people are bypassing their limits by using these alternatives then there are 2 options: cutting off service, or charging for that bandwidth overage.

The days of 'unlimited internet' are severely numbered and once all the providers adopt a "pay if you go over" model, then services like netflix will become less viable because you will actually be paying the true cost of your usage.

edit: I saw a chart (probably in this thread?) that showed netflix as the second highest single consumer of bandwidth in the US. I tried to find it via google but I am at a loss, anyone know where I could find it?

MickMcGeough
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Nothing so far.

In the past they have just given you a warning if you go over. I recently read on beyond.ca that they were working on charging for bandwidth overages like Bell was recently been given permission to do. A friend I have who works for Shaw confirmed the testing, and added there was a lot of work to be done before it went live.

As much as I dislike the idea of charging, it really makes sense when you think about it. As a cable provider they have competition in iTunes, Netflix and other download options (usenet, torrents) that simply leeches off their high speed internet. If people are bypassing their limits by using these alternatives then there are 2 options: cutting off service, or charging for that bandwidth overage.

The days of 'unlimited internet' are severely numbered and once all the providers adopt a "pay if you go over" model, then services like netflix will become less viable because you will actually be paying the true cost of your usage.

edit: I saw a chart (probably in this thread?) that showed netflix as the second highest single consumer of bandwidth in the US. I tried to find it via google but I am at a loss, anyone know where I could find it?
Anyone know what Telus Optik download limits are?

Flaming Choy
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Anyone know what Telus Optik download limits are?

My friend told me since Telus Optik TV goes through the internet also, they can't distinguish if your bandwidth usage is from internet use or TV use. Since they can't stop you from watching TV, there is no limit. I can double check that though.

EDIT

Did some more digging, I guess you can sign in and monitor your usage. Right now, my friend's counter still shows 0.00 GB used. He said in the future, if they chose to enable a limit, it would be 100 gigs

Rathji
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I will add that apparently the cost per GB over that 100GB is set at $2/GB.

I don't have time to find the contract on the telus website, but it is mentioned in this thread on digital home (post #4) (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125581). Those people who have Optik could just check the contract they signed to confirm.

silentsim
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Telus doesn't trace bandwidth. Usage will stay at 0 on your account regardless of how much you use. (they are unable to at the moment)

edit: i repeated what flaming choy said it seems :P

Jimmy Stang
12-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Although I'm not likely going to watch The Tudors or Republic of Doyle, this press release does say that something amazing is coming to Netflix: All five seasons of Kids in the Hall.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/December2010/13/c4607.html

Prototype
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
"An Evening With Kevin Smith"... all 3:45 of it... is now available. They are really doing a good job of stepping up the selection lately.

Jimmy Stang
12-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Top Gear seasons 9-12 just showed up on the feed, as well as the Kids in Hall stuff and a bunch of British programs.

Russic
12-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Woot for Top Gear. That's great news. My wife is adamant we cancel it, but I can't bring myself to cut the cord.