PDA

View Full Version : Best Deep Dish in Calgary?

flamesrule_kipper34
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey all just trying to get some opinions on the best or the best Chicago Deep Dish pizza's in Calgary that are avail. for delivery??

A good deal wouldn't hurt either ;).

Anyway lemme know people's thoughts here on CP.

Jbo
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
They are all terrible

dissentowner
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Get it delivered from Chicago.

yads
07-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Chicago Deep Dish used to be awesome, now they skimp on their ingredients.

getbak
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
The "Chicago Deep Dish" chain is horrible. They just put the regular amount of toppings on a really thick slab of dough. Real Chicago Deep Dish has a lot of toppings and a relatively thin crust.

I don't know if there's anywhere in Calgary that makes a real Chicago-style pizza.

flamesrule_kipper34
07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Hmm, if people are THAT against it here...what would be some of the better options for pizza in Calgary in your opinions again that deliver.

Thanks.

getbak
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Where are you? The best places usually have limited delivery areas.

Jbo
07-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Spiros on 17th is good for a thicker pizza....I also really like matadors in varsity (nw)

burn_this_city
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Papa Johns lol

You Need a Thneed
07-15-2010, 10:17 AM
One slice of real Chicago deep dish pizza is nearly enough to feed a family. Not sure where you can get that here.

flamesrule_kipper34
07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Haha...and I'm SW close to the Woodbine area.

Sliver
07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Spiros on 17th is good for a thicker pizza....I also really like matadors in varsity (nw)

Yeah I love Matadors. Their house salad dressing is like crack, too. I once gave the waitress $10 to fill up a giant styrofoam to-go container with it. :w00t:

Komskies
07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Here's a pizza thread I started about a year ago. You can browse through it if you wish. I'm also in Woodbine.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=77194&highlight=pizza

Sliver
07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
You guys should go on a pizza double date.

Flash Walken
07-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Matadors is the only (good) memorable deep dish I've had.

HeartsOfFire
07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Deep dish sucks. Thin crust is the way to go.

Jbo
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah I love Matadors. Their house salad dressing is like crack, too. I once gave the waitress $10 to fill up a giant styrofoam to-go container with it. :w00t:

Are you talking about the dill one? I pretty much beg them to just give me as much of it as I can every time I am there. It serves two purposes as well: salad dressing and pizza crust dip

Bunk
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
The "Chicago Deep Dish" chain is horrible. They just put the regular amount of toppings on a really thick slab of dough. Real Chicago Deep Dish has a lot of toppings and a relatively thin crust.

I don't know if there's anywhere in Calgary that makes a real Chicago-style pizza.

Agreed. Go to the Calgary suburb of "Chicago". It's only about a 3 hour plane ride. Pizzaria Uno or Pizzaria Due are good bets, if a bit toursty.

I was surprised how delicious it actually was. REALLY delicious.

Pinner
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
BiAsjdl1XC0

nickerjones
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I thought Atlas has pretty good thick crust pizza... of course a lot of people just do thin crust here in Oklahoma so...... However I found Atlas pizza quite thick to my standards and very tasty!

Huntingwhale
07-15-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.genesisdiscos.com.ar/images/VA-Deep_Dish_George_Is_On.jpg

Hevishot
07-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Haha...and I'm SW close to the Woodbine area.

Pizza Bank in Glenmore Landing. Damn good pizza and very good ingredients. Plus the boss is a clean freak.

3 Justin 3
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
How many layers of toppings do you put in a deep dish pizza? I work at a pizza place (normal crust), but I'd like a real think pizza. I know how to do the crust, but should I do like 4-7 layers of pepperoni/salami, etc? or what?

gargamel
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
How many layers of toppings do you put in a deep dish pizza? I work at a pizza place (normal crust), but I'd like a real think pizza. I know how to do the crust, but should I do like 4-7 layers of pepperoni/salami, etc? or what?

Make a giant sausage patty to cover the entire pizza. Cover with cheese. Cover with sauce.

3 Justin 3
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
So I'll put a layer of pepperoni, then salami, then sausage, then cheese. :D

Misterpants
07-15-2010, 01:25 PM

That's a good start. Continue with another layer of pepperoni, a layer of ground beef. Then more cheese.

getbak
07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I think the sausage goes on the bottom, but otherwise, do exactly that.

Also, the sauce goes on top of the cheese, just like #5's family does it: http://www.giordanos.com/

3 Justin 3
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Oh yes, ground beef.

Hell, I will throw donair meat in there as well!

I'd put ham too, but the quality of our ham is as bad as it gets. Like, really bad.

Pinner
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM

I like the way you think Justin, but gargy is right about the sausage, tradition I guess according to this.

There's no rules when it comes to food, your way sounds good, fill the crust how ever many layers it takes.

cH_ymnmarRU

Misterpants
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh yes, ground beef.

I'd put ham too, but the quality of our ham is as bad as it gets. Like, really bad.

Do you need to know where to deliver it?

Pinner
07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I'll try the first one just to make sure it's good.

Sliver
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Oh yes, ground beef.

Just make sure it's from a freshly slain donairdabeast.

jayswin
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
On a pizza related note, one thing that's been pissing me off is the call centres for pizza places and how they seem to vary prices from agent to agent.

I like to order from Pizza Hut every now and then, and I always get a medium pepperoni with double cheese. You get a call centre, rather than the location you're ordering from, and they always charge the same, $18.50ish.

But then sometimes you'll phone and they will randomly charge like $23. It doesn't matter how many times you tell them that you pay way less than that every single other time for the same pizza, they will just keep saying "sorry, that's what it comes out to".

flamesrule_kipper34
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
On a pizza related note, one thing that's been pissing me off is the call centres for pizza places and how they seem to vary prices from agent to agent.

I like to order from Pizza Hut every now and then, and I always get a medium pepperoni with double cheese. You get a call centre, rather than the location you're ordering from, and they always charge the same, $18.50ish.

But then sometimes you'll phone and they will randomly charge like $23. It doesn't matter how many times you tell them that you pay way less than that every single other time for the same pizza, they will just keep saying "sorry, that's what it comes out to".

Really? Hmm I've never run into that problem but I haven't ordered from those places in ages...odd.

Jbo
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Pizza 73 and dominos have good on-line systems I tend to use those..prices never get messed up

You Need a Thneed
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't use the call centres then, just call the place directly. The phone numbers should be in the phone book.

jayswin
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Then at Papa Johns the other day, I go to order the same thing, a medium pepperoni with double cheese. It's usually about $17. Here's the conversation.....

me: Hey, I'll get a medium pepperoni with double cheese.

guy: Okay, that'll be $21.75

me: It's always about $17

guy: Well, we do have a special, one large pizza with 2 toppings for $17.99

me: Awesome, I'll take that with pepperoni and double cheese

*Now at this point people will jump in and say that places typically charge more for extra cheese than other toppings, and I know that, but this guy takes it to a new level.

guy: Okay, that'll be $23.75

me: ummm what???? :blink:

guy: Sorry sir, you ordered double cheese, so I have to charge more.

me: umm, okay, but how did you end up charging $5 more?

guy: Well, double cheese counts as 4 toppings. So it's as if you are ordering a pizza with 5 toppings, so you have to pay for three extra toppings.

me: *hangs up phone

jayswin
07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Don't use the call centres then, just call the place directly. The phone numbers should be in the phone book.

Really? I thought he whole point of the call centres was so that they could employ less people at their locations because they didn't have to take calls constantly, and could just focus on making orders?

Pinner
07-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I can't believe how many people order from the crappy chain pizza places, the good pizza places have been wiped out by a cheap imitation.

Wax like cheese and mechanically separated "meat" on a pre made dough that resembles cardboard, is not PIZZA.

malcolmk14
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I can't believe how many people order from the crappy chain pizza places, the good pizza places have been wiped out by a cheap imitation.

Wax like cheese and mechanically separated "meat" on a pre made dough that resembles cardboard, is not PIZZA.

What are the "good pizza places"?

Misterpants
07-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Smaller restaurants that charge more but use fresh ingredients. Everybody usually has a favourite place in their neck of the woods. The problem is they are seldom open at 2 in the morning.

Even though it sounds elitist I agree with Pinner in preferring to not order from the chains if it can be avoided. The extra 10 bucks thrown at the bill is well worth it.

malcolmk14
07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Smaller restaurants that charge more but use fresh ingredients. Everybody usually has a favourite place in their neck of the woods. The problem is they are seldom open at 2 in the morning.

Even though it sounds elitist I agree with Pinner in preferring to not order from the chains if it can be avoided. The extra 10 bucks thrown at the bill is well worth it.

Okay, that's fine I'm not challenging your distinction between good and bad pizza places, but could you please point me in the direction of some good places so I can try them out? I'd love to have some good pizza.

If it helps, I'm in the Discovery Ridge area, but am willing to go anywhere.

Pinner
07-15-2010, 04:01 PM

I moved away from Calgary 20yr's ago so I can't help much, but I'm sure there are a few left.

I'm sure my regular place is closed now, but I had a great place back then, Tops Pizza in Varsity. He was a great cook, a nice golden brown almost fried crisp on the bottom of the crust and the cheese golden brown almost to the point of burning.

Edmonton has Royal Pizza, the one near the small airport in the city makes great Pizza! Try it.

Sliver
07-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Okay, that's fine I'm not challenging your distinction between good and bad pizza places, but could you please point me in the direction of some good places so I can try them out? I'd love to have some good pizza.

Slightly OT, but I have a buddy that just bought a place in Discovery Ridge and moves in next month. Aside from pizza places, are there any other good restaurants in the area?

Misterpants
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM

You are in luck my friend. Go to Sophie's Pizza. You will not be sorry! It's right on Richmond Road near Sarcee, so they should deliver. *crosses fingers* 'cause I'm moving there...

Russic
07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
That youtube was interesting. I didn't know true chicago deep dish has cheese on the bottom and Parmesan on top. Seems wrong, but I have to trust them.

Captain_Obvious
07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm in the NW near SAIT...

Anyone have a suggestion for good (non chain) Pizza I can order tonight from a place around this area?

Misterpants
07-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Anyone have a suggestion for good (non chain) Pizza I can order tonight from a place around this area?

Try Vina Pizza and Steakhouse. Went there a loooong time ago and remember it being pretty good. Would love for a confirmatory report.:w00t:

Be the CP pizza guinea pig!

Jbo
07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I moved away from Calgary 20yr's ago so I can't help much, but I'm sure there are a few left.

I'm sure my regular place is closed now, but I had a great place back then, Tops Pizza in Varsity. He was a great cook, a nice golden brown almost fried crisp on the bottom of the crust and the cheese golden brown almost to the point of burning.

Edmonton has Royal Pizza, the one near the small airport in the city makes great Pizza! Try it.
It's now called Varsity Pizza, and I believe they just went through an ownership change.

Great subs and pizzas still

troutman
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Slightly OT, but I have a buddy that just bought a place in Discovery Ridge and moves in next month. Aside from pizza places, are there any other good restaurants in the area?

I like the Indian take-out beside the liquor store.

La Villa on Sirocco Drive (by Sunterra) is quite good.

Why Not Italian? in Strathcona has great service.

Pinner
07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
It's now called Varsity Pizza, and I believe they just went through an ownership change.

Yep, that's the place, (I looked on google maps) good prices too compared to up here in the north.

http://www.varsitypizza.ca/Pizza_Menu.html

chalms04
07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Cedar Grove donair pizza om nom nom.

pylon
07-15-2010, 07:35 PM
+1 for Matador the NW, order it at work ll the time. The chicken / feta / spinach is awesome.

If you live in south centralish, Hawaiin Pizza / Red Carpet in Mayfair Place is probably the best Pizza in town. The place is legendary, and is one of the last of the "old school" places left in town. I think they have been there since 75 or something.

It is expensive but you get a 16" monster for about 30 bucks, and it is like dying and going to Pizza heaven. Mounds of toppings, top quality cheese and not too much dough. The thing has gotta weigh about 6 or 7 pounds, and it takes about 5 people with big appetites to eat it. Highly reccomended.

Anyone remember Venus Pizza that was next to Big4 on Macleod Tr.? That place was awesome too. Now its a pub, can't remember the name though.

Komskies
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
+1 for Matador the NW, order it at work ll the time. The chicken / feta / spinach is awesome.

If you live in south centralish, Hawaiin Pizza / Red Carpet in Mayfair Place is probably the best Pizza in town. The place is legendary, and is one of the last of the "old school" places left in town. I think they have been there since 75 or something.

It is expensive but you get a 16" monster for about 30 bucks, and it is like dying and going to Pizza heaven. Mounds of toppings, top quality cheese and not too much dough. The thing has gotta weigh about 6 or 7 pounds, and it takes about 5 people with big appetites to eat it. Highly reccomended.

Anyone remember Venus Pizza that was next to Big4 on Macleod Tr.? That place was awesome too. Now its a pub, can't remember the name though.

Dude don't even. You're going to make me all sad now just thinking about it.

pylon
07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Dude don't even. You're going to make me all sad now just thinking about it.

I hear ya. That was our family place. Back in the days where you got dressed up nice, piled in the woody wagon, and it was a special treat to go out for a Family dinner. The classic 70's dim lit vinyl and dark oak decor. Somehow those guys managed to have this perfect brown crust on the cheese without burning the dough. That place was special, and I get sad seeing it as a pub now (Limericks?? I think), lots of cool late 70's early 80's memories there.

Keselke
07-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Yeah new owners, as far as I can tell they havent changed any of the recipes

Prices are awsome on anything really Pizzas, subs etc etc

Always have the paper around if you wanna just catch a quick sub and read the paper or something.

Captain_Obvious
07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Try Vina Pizza and Steakhouse. Went there a loooong time ago and remember it being pretty good. Would love for a confirmatory report.:w00t:

Confirmed... good stuff!

About a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 (10 being the best I've ever had)...

Definitely better than any of the chains.

Nice crispy crust, not thin but thinner than most... good taste. Not a crazy amount of cheese / toppings but it did the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Resolute 14
07-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Red Carpet FTW

wpgflamesfan
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Even though it's a chain I gotta say Famoso has the best pizza up here in Edmonton (I'm pretty sure Calgary has one too). Plus their Mascarpone & Berries dessert is unreal.

TnT~55
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Matador pizza in Varsity is my favourite by far.

Caged Great
07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
I like the Indian take-out beside the liquor store.

La Villa on Sirocco Drive (by Sunterra) is quite good.

Why Not Italian? in Strathcona has great service.

They used to have a really good pizza, but the stopped making them 5 years ago

jschick88
07-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Stavros on 4th St. NW is by far the best. A little pricey but you pay for what you get.

Redliner
07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Have to go with Spiros on 17th as my favourite. Honourable mention to Verona Pizza - there's one in the TD square food court and one in the NW that I've never been to. If those aren't "deep dish" enough for you, try Vern's Pizza. Your colon will never be the same.

Antithesis
07-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Atlas Pizza has consistently been a treat on the occasions I've had it.

Misterpants
07-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Confirmed... good stuff!

About a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 (10 being the best I've ever had)...

Definitely better than any of the chains.

Nice crispy crust, not thin but thinner than most... good taste. Not a crazy amount of cheese / toppings but it did the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice! Glad it worked out. If you want to drop off the leftovers as a little "thank you" gift, I would not be opposed.

Caged Great
07-16-2010, 09:04 AM
are there any good pizza places in the Coach Hill/Cougar ridge area?

The only ones in the immediate area that I know of are Poco Loco Pizza and Pizza 73, but both are horrible.

Any ideas?

Robbob
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Have to go with Spiros on 17th as my favourite. Honourable mention to Verona Pizza - there's one in the TD square food court and one in the NW that I've never been to. If those aren't "deep dish" enough for you, try Vern's Pizza. Your colon will never be the same.

There is also a new Verona Pizza in the new Centennial place building (beside Canterra). Not to many people know about it so the line ups aren't as bad.

flamesrule_kipper34
07-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Does Red Carpet pizza have take out/delivery?

getbak
07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Stavros on 4th St. NW is by far the best. A little pricey but you pay for what you get.
I've found they've gotten really greasy the last few times I've been there.

FATS in Kensington has good pizza, but I don't know if they do take-out.

Table 5
11-11-2013, 02:21 PM
So just bumping this to see if there are any good new deep dish pizza places in town. It seems like with the Neapolitan-style trend the last few years, good deep dish is hard to find in town (which is funny because back in the day, outside of the chains, it was pretty hard to get a pizza that wasnt deep dish). As much as I like thin pizza, there's something special about consuming a giant brick of melted ingredients.

Personally I think if someone opened up a restaurant that gave the same attention to quality and authenticity that the Neapolitan places (Puccinella, WOP, even the chain Famoso) have received, but to authentic Chicago deep dish, they would be making a very healthy income.

Redline
11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm lovin this place lately.

http://www.crispycrust.ca/

Inglewood Jack
11-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Stromboli Inn in Bridgeland...re-opened earlier this year after like a 12 year hiatus. Not really a Chicago style deep dish, but definitely a thicker crust and nothing like the trendy Neapolitan styles in abundance right now. Anyways stop wasting time reading and go now...GO GO GO

Northendzone
11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I recommend olive grove pizza. It ain't cheap, but this is pizza we are talkin' bout.....

Redliner
11-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I recommend olive grove pizza. It ain't cheap, but this is pizza we are talkin' bout.....

Is this the one in Midnapore? I've heard it used to be good but has gone downhill in the past year or so. Is it still worth a try?

I'd kill for a Verona down here.

Flabbibulin
11-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Spiros is the best as far as im concerned.

Northendzone
11-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Is this the one in Midnapore? I've heard it used to be good but has gone downhill in the past year or so. Is it still worth a try?

I'd kill for a Verona down here.

I go to the one in douglasdale.

socktape
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
are there any good pizza places in the Coach Hill/Cougar ridge area?

The only ones in the immediate area that I know of are Poco Loco Pizza and Pizza 73, but both are horrible.

Any ideas?

Grekos would be my favourite closest to there... 17 ave and 35 street. One block from Spiro's.

There aren't very many good places up around CR yet.

Barnes
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM
So just bumping this to see if there are any good new deep dish pizza places in town. It seems like with the Neapolitan-style trend the last few years, good deep dish is hard to find in town (which is funny because back in the day, outside of the chains, it was pretty hard to get a pizza that wasnt deep dish). As much as I like thin pizza, there's something special about consuming a giant brick of melted ingredients.

Personally I think if someone opened up a restaurant that gave the same attention to quality and authenticity that the Neapolitan places (Puccinella, WOP, even the chain Famoso) have received, but to authentic Chicago deep dish, they would be making a very healthy income.

Are we talking actual Chicago deep dish (thin crust, upside down toppings, order before you get a table, burn the S%&* out of your mouth) pizza?

Well, there's this place opening soon:

http://www.bensonhurstpizza.com/

Whether or not it's actual Uno, Duo, Girodano's style deep dish or a square, doughy, topping filled Roman/Detroit style pizza that's called a Chicago deep dish remains to be seen.

crazy_eoj
11-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Grekos would be my favourite closest to there... 17 ave and 35 street. One block from Spiro's.

There aren't very many good places up around CR yet.

Greko's over Spiro's!??!

No way amigo.

nik-
11-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Stromboli Inn in Bridgeland...re-opened earlier this year after like a 12 year hiatus. Not really a Chicago style deep dish, but definitely a thicker crust and nothing like the trendy Neapolitan styles in abundance right now. Anyways stop wasting time reading and go now...GO GO GO

12 year hiatus? ... wtf :blink:

Inglewood Jack
11-12-2013, 07:37 PM
12 year hiatus? ... wtf :blink:

now that I think about it, it might be closer to 13 years. I went to the original location in Kensington once in 1999 and thought it was pure awesome, but too bad I didn't live closer. some time later I went back and the doors were locked shut. I banged my fists on them and wept bitter, pizza-less tears.

the new location is being run by the son of the original owner, and even though it's been nearly a decade and a half, the taste is exactly the same. it's basically a house next to Villa Firenze with 4-5 tables but it will fulfill all your thick crust pizza dreams. well, everyone's tastes are different so maybe it won't, but it most certainly does mine.

http://www.stromboliinn.com

jtfrogger
11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Are we talking actual Chicago deep dish (thin crust, upside down toppings, order before you get a table, burn the S%&* out of your mouth) pizza?

Well, there's this place opening soon:

http://www.bensonhurstpizza.com/

Whether or not it's actual Uno, Duo, Girodano's style deep dish or a square, doughy, topping filled Roman/Detroit style pizza that's called a Chicago deep dish remains to be seen.

Given that they haven't even hired the executive chef (http://www.86network.com/jobs-available/jobdetails.aspx?jobid=2631&jobtitle=Executive+Chef,+Chef#.UoWxoPmsim5) yet and experience in a pizzeria is an asset, not a requirement, I'm thinking it will not be authentic Chicago style pizza. But they have an appropriate hipster logo (http://hipsterlogo.com/).

I've never had anything that resembled Chicago style deep dish pizza at any place claiming to have it in Canada. I have no idea why anyone bothers calling it that. I've had to resort to figuring out how to make it myself.

getbak
11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
liFtsGE2g4E

ben voyonsdonc
11-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Given that they haven't even hired the executive chef (http://www.86network.com/jobs-available/jobdetails.aspx?jobid=2631&jobtitle=Executive+Chef,+Chef#.UoWxoPmsim5) yet and experience in a pizzeria is an asset, not a requirement, I'm thinking it will not be authentic Chicago style pizza. But they have an appropriate hipster logo (http://hipsterlogo.com/).

I've never had anything that resembled Chicago style deep dish pizza at any place claiming to have it in Canada. I have no idea why anyone bothers calling it that. I've had to resort to figuring out how to make it myself.There is a place in Hamilton that is actually rather close to Chicago Deep Dish...at least it is the closest that I have found. It is called Chicago Style Pizza Shack.

Fusebox
11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't need to go out to eat pizza. I've got enough to eat at home.

jar_e
11-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Jon's Pizza in Douglasdale has a damn good deep dish.

ComixZone
11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I love Chicago Deep Dish (http://www.chicagodeepdishpizza.com/en/)

4X4
12-17-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm lovin this place lately.

http://www.crispycrust.ca/

Bumping this thread because this place is the best pizza I've had in Calgary in a long time. If you live in the south, it's worth it. A $20-$24 large easily fills two guys or probably a small family. You wouldn't think so, but it does. Awesome pizza. And I've picked up from both the old guy, and the young guy, and both times it was about the best pizza I've had since my buddy worked at a Mediterranean restaurant, and made me custom pizzas.

It's worth the drive to pick up, and one of their pizzas will fill you better than two of those cardboard pieces of crap from any of the chains.

This post might be a bit selfish. I'm hoping that lots of people order from there, to keep them in business. It seems like the good places go under because people don't understand that a single pizza made from good dough, with the proper amount of toppings and cheese, actually fills you up. Instead, they order from pizza70-crap, and get two crappy pizzas, and these gems go out of business.

If you live anywhere south west of 90th and Mcleod, you should be getting your pizza from Crispy Crust. It is definitely worth the drive.

malcolmk14
12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah I tried Crispy Crust in the summer and it rocked.

ZedMan
12-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Good to know. I'll have to give it a try and see if it can dethrone A Pizza Plus at the top of my list.

Komskies
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Before it was Crispy Crust it was called Hot Spot Pizza, and it too was some of the best pizza I've ever had. Greek-style, with that nice herbaceous saucy and a fluffy crust.