PDA

View Full Version : NBC awkwardly and abruptly ends Olympic coverage

transplant99
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
After a few ads, NBC cut back to a wide shot of the ongoing Ceremony (there were a number of inflatable animals on the floor at BC Place, making it look like an indoor version of the Macy's Day Parade) and viewers heard Bob Costas say:
"We're back in an hour with the Closing Ceremony party from Vancouver. Nickleback and Avril Lavigne are among the acts that will be performing. But right now we take you to the premiere of Jerry Seinfeld's new series, 'The Marriage Ref.' "
And then, suddenly, coverage of the Olympics was over and the intro to Jerry Seinfeld's show began

NBC is such a hack network compared to what they used to be...too bad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-awkwardly-and-abruptly-ends-Olympic-coverage;_ylt=Apt9zeBedCCGwwu6pKM7gl5otLV_?urn=oly ,224859

Azure
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, and Twitter was going crazy complaining about the poor NBC coverage.

Cowperson
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
The Olympics were essentially the money-losing platform used to draw viewers to what they hope will be a money-making lineup of new shows.

Unfortunately, the first of those new shows was scheduled to start immediately "after" the closing ceremonies.

Except the closing ceremonies clearly went over the allotted time.

What to do? What to do?

I don't agree with it, but they went with the money shot.

Cowperson

Canada 02
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Costas should have pulled a Dave Hodge, flip his pencil in the air and blast the network

overall, NBC did a real nice job covering the games; a Canadian living in the US, I don't feel like I missed many of the important Canadian Olympic moments

GirlySports
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Amazing how there cannot be an 'end of the olympics' without a montage.

gargamel
03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Costas should have pulled a Dave Hodge, flip his pencil in the air and blast the network

He was probably just happy that they cut away in time to avoid Nickelback. Though Nickelback would have been a treat comparred to The Marriage Ref. That may have been the worst show I've ever seen.

JD
03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the Marriage Ref was awful, awful TV. So pointless and awkward.

Table 5
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm glad they cut the feed. That closing ceremony degenerated into a horrible mash of awfulness pretty quickly. I was looking for an excuse out.

jar_e
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
This was just the eastern feed no? The NBCHD west feed had the full coverage.

troutman
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Seinfeld ended awkwardly too.

Daradon
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah I was surprised, NBC was doing an awesome job up till that point.

Still though, probably not much for an American audience in those closing ceremonies.

Not much for anyone over 22 actually, lol. Though Alanis was looking HOT! Nice performance too.