PDA

View Full Version : Kremlin wants resignations/firings after Russian results...

transplant99
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
"Those responsible should take the brave decision and sign a letter (of resignation)," Medvedev said in televised comments. "If they can't we will help them."

Cant be good when your boss goes on national TV and says he doesnt want you working for him any longer. :ph34r:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100301/sp_nm/us_olympics_russia_kremlin

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
They've had it soft. Put Tretiak and couple others in a labour camp around Norilsk (find it on the map) for a few years - that'll teach them a lesson...

tripin_billie
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
So, back to the Soviet era anthem, and I guess politics too?

tripin_billie
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
They've had it soft. Put Tretiak and couple others in a labour camp around Norilsk (find it on the map) for a few years - that'll teach them a lesson...

You must be an alter ego. Even a die hard Soviet would have problems liking all of the Soviet era things you seem to. In another one of your posts, you were praising Stalin and Brezhnev in the same sentence, which, really, doesn't seem to be compatible with the amount of post-Stalin cleansing of him from the record that took place under Brezhnev and Khrushchev.

Netskot
03-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Seems in-line with Russian politics.

Joborule
03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Failure is not an option.

Cowperson
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Cant be good when your boss goes on national TV and says he doesnt want you working for him any longer. :ph34r:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100301/sp_nm/us_olympics_russia_kremlin

Well, they DID have a terrible Olympics, even considering they can't dope their athletes or buy judges anymore.

He's right to want accountability.

Cowperson

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
You must be an alter ego. Even a die hard Soviet would have problems liking all of the Soviet era things you seem to. In another one of your posts, you were praising Stalin and Brezhnev in the same sentence, which, really, doesn't seem to be compatible with the amount of post-Stalin cleansing of him from the record that took place under Brezhnev and Khrushchev.

http://ui03.gamespot.com/514/batmandarkknightjoker_2.jpg

Netskot
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
"For a long time we have benefited from Soviet achievements. At some point they ran out. We have lost the Soviet sports school, it is simply gone, but we have not formed our own system," Medvedev said.

Hah, yeah, especially in soccer, where Russia got all of Soviet coefficients that all belonged to Ukraine.

I hope they never win another medal.

dre
03-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Yikes. Looks like Edmonton.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Hah, yeah, especially in soccer, where Russia got all of Soviet coefficients that all belonged to Dinamo Kiev.

I hope they never win another medal.

fyp :cool:

Netskot
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
fyp :cool:

touché

CaptainCrunch
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Well they'll have a real accurate count of the tree population in Siberia.

GirlySports
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Finland should take note. FIVE total medals.

octothorp
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
In post-Soviet Russia, podium owns you!

afc wimbledon
03-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm sure the russians have taken note of the goodwill and positive coverage that came from Joannie Rochette story, no doubt they will be arranging for one of their athletes to have a family 'tragedy' the night before the competition, or maybe they will just stick with the more traditional 'win or your family will die'.

mariners_fever
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM

I think you have it incorrect. Khruschev was the one to distance himself from Stalin-esque fear politics. (Gulag, etc.) Brezhnev was notorious for returning to the hard-line style (probably because he was socialized in the Stalin era). Gorbachev returned to the open style that Khruschev originally sought, again likely because he was socialized during the Khruschev era. What I'm saying is that using Stalin and Brezhnev in the same breath actually makes a world of sense. The similarities are vast.

Locke
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Strangely enough, they did better at the Summer Olympics...:blink:

Bertuzzied
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Finland should take note. FIVE total medals.

Kiira Korpi. The fins win already.

tripin_billie
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I think you have it incorrect. Khruschev was the one to distance himself from Stalin-esque fear politics. (Gulag, etc.) Brezhnev was notorious for returning to the hard-line style (probably because he was socialized in the Stalin era). Gorbachev returned to the open style that Khruschev originally sought, again likely because he was socialized during the Khruschev era. What I'm saying is that using Stalin and Brezhnev in the same breath actually makes a world of sense. The similarities are vast.

Thanks for the info, it has been a while since I took Russian history, so I got the leaders mixed up a bit. You know, there is only so far that "bald, hairy, bald, hairy" will take you in Russian leadership history. But what you say about Khrushchev is was basically the point I was looking for.

Basically, the over the top Soviet stuff from Vlad, while funny once and a while, just got to the point of ridiculousness over the course of the Olympics.

And really, saying supportive things about Stalin, especially considering his treatment of Ukrainians during the famine, is really borderline as far as comedy.

Now I'll be less serious, but just wanted to get his off my chest.

Edit: Oh, just wanted to complement you on you avavtar.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think I said anything positive about Stalin - I did ask the Russians to win their game against Canada in the name of Nevsky, Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin and Brezhnev, and that little prayer didn't get me far... Otherwise, the invocation of Soviet symbols is particularly relevant, since Putin very much wants it to be Soviet Russia...

tripin_billie
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think I said anything positive about Stalin - I did ask the Russians to win their game against Canada in the name of Nevsky, Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin and Brezhnev, and that little prayer didn't get me far... Otherwise, the invocation of Soviet symbols is particularly relevant, since Putin very much wants it to be Soviet Russia...

Yeah, I just didn't know why on earth you would have mentioned Stalin. it's like a German invoking Frederick the Great, Bismarck, Wilhelm, Hindenburg, and Hitler. One of these things is not like the other one.

But as I said, I'm done with it, just wanted to vent.

Now carry on being a crazy stereotype, as I typically enjoy your posts!

Edit: Oh, and sorry for the godwin.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I just didn't know why on earth you would have mentioned Stalin. it's like a German invoking Frederick the Great, Bismarck, Wilhelm, Hindenburg, and Hitler. One of these things is not like the other one.

But as I said, I'm done with it, just wanted to vent.

Now carry on being a crazy stereotype, as I typically enjoy your posts!

Edit: Oh, and sorry for the godwin.

Stalin for Russians is much more complex than Hitler is for Germans... Whereas Germans (almost universally) would say Hitler was "bad", Russians would say "Stalin, did bad things, BUT...." - many credit him, fairly or not, with modernizing "Russia" and making it a "power". But enough of history...

Daradon
03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Well, I think the expectations may have been a tad high for them, but it sounds like they want to do something similar to what we did after 98, which wouldn't be a bad thing for them.

Sometimes you gotta start fresh. Look at the whole system from the bottom up.

afc wimbledon
03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Stalin for Russians is much more complex than Hitler is for Germans... Whereas Germans (almost universally) would say Hitler was "bad", Russians would say "Stalin, did bad things, BUT...." - many credit him, fairly or not, with modernizing "Russia" and making it a "power". But enough of history...

Saving the country from Hitler didn't hurt his reputation either.

3 Justin 3
03-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Strangely enough, they did better at the Summer Olympics...:blink:

Yeah, but there are an assload more events in the Summer Olympics. USA had the most medals this winter olympics with 37 (which was a new high I believe). In Beijing they had 110. China with the 50+ Golds. Tons more events = more chance to medal, especially when you have a ton of people in your country.

Daradon
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
^^^ The Summer Olympics has far too many events if you ask me. And it's not so much the different events that bug me, it's the redundancy.

Swimming for example. Does it really matter what stroke you are using? We don't have a 100 hop, 100 meter skip, 100 meter backwards, and 100 meter high step to go with the 100 meter dash do we? (Yeah I know you could argue the hurdles probably equal one of those, but definitely not all four)

Swimming is the best example, but there is redundancy all over the summer games. It's pointless, and boring.

Netskot
03-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Hitler did just as much for Germany economically as Stalin did for USSR. The "BUT.. resonates with very few people, whom I would argue still hold the views they did.

Interesting how an Austrian and a Georgian gave both Germany and Russia such bad reputations.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Hitler did just as much for Germany economically as Stalin did for USSR. The "BUT.. resonates with very few people, whom I would argue still hold the views they did.

Interesting how an Austrian and a Georgian gave both Germany and Russia such bad reputations.

Are you kidding? Hitler had the German economy on the verge of collapse by the time WW2 started, and never did get wartime production properly organized. Germany was already a great economic power before Hitler. Stalin on the other hand turned a backward agrarian society into an industrial power (by butal means and with extreme inefficiency)...
But why are we discussing this in the Olympic forum? ;)