PDA

View Full Version : Tretiak: 'Team Canada was stronger'

Hemi-Cuda
03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/blog/_/name/winterolympics/id/4954200/team-canada-was-stronger

In his first interview with a North American media outlet since his team's early exit, the general manager of Russia's Olympic team and president of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation told ESPN.com on Saturday that he's just as disappointed as all the passionate Russian hockey fans, but everything was done to give Russia its best chance to win here.

"Before the [quarterfinal] game with Canada, I said that it was very unfortunate that two great teams met in a position where one would have to be eliminated and without a medal," Tretiak said through a translator. "We had the best team that we could put together. But Team Canada was stronger, and there's nothing else you can say. They were faster than us. We couldn't do anything with their speed."i seem to be having trouble wiping this huge s**t eating grin off my face

Hack&Lube
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
If you want to grin more, start reading Russian newspapers.

There are literally dozens and dozens of articles and interviews just like this with players, soviet legends, politicians, opinion writers, etc. all saying how awesome Canada was and how far behind Russian hockey was.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-50960.html&rurl=translate.google.ca&usg=ALkJrhhM9Vfd0phbrAMpqBbXUlQkUio2CA

A favorite line:
How the hell long does [it take] a coaching staff to see that Shea Weber makes Ovechkin a mutton shish kebab, and Niedermayer from Malkin - an empty space?

These papers are funny. On the article about Bulin's DUI and possible jail time, the comments are full of people expressing shock that the law is applied equally to a rich elite guy, compared to the messed up Russian legal system and its rampant corruption

Khabibulin: I am in shock .... These b@stards do not take the money???

CGY12
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
That was NOT the best possible team the Russians could have iced but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because Canada still would have walked all over them.

Caged Great
03-01-2010, 02:39 AM
With Zubov retiring, the last of the exceptional Russian defenseman are gone. The likes of Volchenkov are not going to win you medals, let alone the ones of the Gold variety.

Until Russia gets some D-men, and perhaps a new great goalie, they are not going to be much more of a threat than the 2nd tier teams like Slovakia, Czechs, Finland are. It is unfortunate because you like to see your rivals not suck (Edmonton) because the games aren't as intense as they normally would be.

Vulcan
03-01-2010, 02:41 AM
I like "Obama argued about a box of beer"

SixtySix
03-01-2010, 03:11 AM
With Zubov retiring, the last of the exceptional Russian defenseman are gone. The likes of Volchenkov are not going to win you medals, let alone the ones of the Gold variety.

Until Russia gets some D-men, and perhaps a new great goalie, they are not going to be much more of a threat than the 2nd tier teams like Slovakia, Czechs, Finland are. It is unfortunate because you like to see your rivals not suck (Edmonton) because the games aren't as intense as they normally would be.

I disagree. Russia has a sick team, with a couple world class D-men in Gonchar and Markov. In a 1 game elimination tournament, how can you tell me that Russia (with Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc. up front), is not a team capable of going head to head with Canada? Sure, they got schooled by Canada, but it's silly to even suggest that Russia was playing anywhere near their potential in that one game.

Itse
03-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Canadian and more generally North American hockey is really strong now compared to Europe. Outside of Russia all the other major hockey powers (Czech, Finland, Slovakia, Sweden) have basicly had to rely on the same stars ever since the nineties. The Swedes have got a little more going for them, but still I think we're looking at a decade where Canada, US and Russia will be the only real competitors year in and year out.

Also, one thing to note: once again when in North America, we had both Canada and US in the finals. In Turin both went home without medals. in Salt Lake City, both playd in the finals. In Nagano, once again no medals for North Americans.

I think that does raise the question, do the North Americans really care about olympic hockey if it's not played in North America?

icarus
03-01-2010, 05:12 AM
We had the best team that we could put togetherReally? I don't know about that. If it were up to me I'd have had guys like Frolov, Kovalev, and Zubov in there instead of guys like Zinoviev, Korneev, Nikulin, etc. but what do I know. Anyway, I think the way Canada played that game they would have beaten anybody!

3 Justin 3
03-01-2010, 05:52 AM
I disagree. Russia has a sick team, with a couple world class D-men in Gonchar and Markov. In a 1 game elimination tournament, how can you tell me that Russia (with Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc. up front), is not a team capable of going head to head with Canada? Sure, they got schooled by Canada, but it's silly to even suggest that Russia was playing anywhere near their potential in that one game.

In 2014 Gonchar will be 39 and Markov will be 35.

They have no one in the pipeline who can even match the Canadian defense. Plus we schooled them on offense.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM

We've never had great goalies - that has always been the weak link. Tretiak being the exception, but he is the only one - otherwise, Bryzgalov and Nabokov are about as good as it's ever been.

I_H8_Crawford
03-01-2010, 07:51 AM
In 2014 Gonchar will be 39 and Markov will be 35.

They have no one in the pipeline who can even match the Canadian defense. Plus we schooled them on offense.
Grebeshkov? I hear from up north he is some kinda player.... :whistle: :D:D:D:D

GirlySports
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
We've never had great goalies - that has always been the weak link. Tretiak being the exception, but he is the only one - otherwise, Bryzgalov and Nabokov are about as good as it's ever been.

I've heard Russian sources over the years say that even Tretiak was pretty over-rated. They're still mad he gave up 12 goals in Games 7 and 8.

VladtheImpaler
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I've heard Russian sources over the years say that even Tretiak was pretty over-rated. They're still mad he gave up 12 goals in Games 7 and 8.

He had his moments - 1975 vs Habs and 1981 Canada Cup final being the best. But, he was much like Dryden in many ways - he always played for dominant teams (both nationally and internationally), so all he had to do was be good enough. Much like Luongo at these Olympics - he wasn't great, but he was good enough.

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 08:44 AM
This goes with how Russia's Olympics go.

The communist system much like how China is doing now, was bred to produce top teir athletes. With the corrupt capitalist system in place now, there is no such drive and Russia will continue to fall by the wayside of importance.

pope04
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM

And he was yanked in the "Miracle on Ice" game in 1980.

moon
03-01-2010, 11:22 PM

They weren't exactly stellar in their other games.

They didn't just have one bad game and were out, they were mediocre all tournament long.

ResAlien
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
These games showed that playing on NHL ice greatly favours the North American style of play. Sure the Ruskies had a bunch of NHL guys, but they wanted to play that Euro game. Didn't work.

CaptainCrunch
03-01-2010, 11:44 PM
And he was yanked in the "Miracle on Ice" game in 1980.

Thats cause the CIA injected him with LSD before the start of the second period