PDA

View Full Version : Super Sunday - Canada vs. USA

Hemi-Cuda
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
well it's finally clear, gold medal rematch of 2002 flipping the host countries. couldn't have scripted a better story, and at this point i think neither team has a clear advantage. both have shown they can blowout some of the best teams of this tournament, and both have also struggled against the 2nd tier teams

i think USA has the clear advantage in goal, but Canada's forward depth is unmatchable. the defenses i would rank equally as well as the top end scoring talent. i think it'll simply come down to which team is better prepared, if Canada can come out of the gate like "Gorillas out of a cage" like they did against Russia, the US will be screwed unless Miller turns in another ungodly performance. but if Canada comes out more slowly and lets off the gas in the 3rd like they did tonight then the US's young talent will be all over them

i have no idea what to predict, so i'll just stick with the same 5-2 score from 2002 for Canada, with Iginla duplicating Sakic's heroics from that game

jeremywilhelm
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I fear that unless Crosby has a whale of a game, we are screwed.

The US haven't let their foot off the pedal since the first game. Canada seems to be struggling with consistency.

OILFAN #81
02-26-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't see a blowout either way.

I say 4-2 Canada (4th being an empty net). If we have a lead in the 3rd we can't sit back like we did against Slovakia. Nobody took anyone on that 2nd goal. It was a 2 on 1 down low. Crosby really needs to step it up on Sunday. The 4th line has been awesome and Getzlaf-Perry have been scoring the last few games. Sid needs to take his game to another level on Sunday and I think he will.

OILFAN #81
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I fear that unless Crosby has a whale of a game, we are screwed.

The US haven't let their foot off the pedal since the first game. Canada seems to be struggling with consistency.

If Canada and USA both play their 100% best game, Canada wins the game. Canada has more talent but the question is will that be enough. Should be a good game that comes down to the end.

MrMastodonFarm
02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Sunday?

More like Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ Sunday.

4-1 Canada, a perfect cap to an amazing games.

chalms04
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Sunday?

More like Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ Sunday.

I was gonna go with Sh*t your pants Sunday, but this works too

Erick Estrada
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm excited. It really doesn't get any better than this.

rp889
02-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Not like it matters, but Canada is favoured to win (1.45:1), USA 3:1. My money is on the home team. GO CANADA!

sa226
02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
The only thing that scares me about USA is Miller. They don't play that passive style. I think that helps Canada. The onus will be on the D men. If they retrieve and move the puck well it shouldn't be a problem as Canada's forwards have dominated every teams Dmen so far, including team USA's.

It will all come down to the Dmen and Miller.

Oh and Crosby needs to start being Crosby.

FBI
02-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Let's not Chant WE WANT GOLD in the 2nd period please.

calgARI
02-26-2010, 10:36 PM
The US is majorly outmatched by Canada and this was pretty evident last Sunday. If not for brutal goaltending in that game, the US probably would be out of the tournament already.

I expect Canada to completely dominate Sunday as they did for large portions last Sunday. The difference is that Canada is playing with a lot more confidence and they have their lines pretty much figured out. The US has played a pretty easy schedule to this point and has run into some terrible goaltending against the two tough opponents they faced.

5-1 Canada.

zamler
02-26-2010, 10:40 PM
I would not be surprised if the same fans doing the idiotic Louuuuuuuuuu chant will go with a 2nd period GOLD chant. :confused:

OzSome
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM
In World Junior, USA lost to Canada in preliminary and the US got an extra game. USA ended up winning the championship. This year's Olympic Canada lost to USA and ended up getting an extra game. I see a different outcome here with Canadians winning the Gold Medal against the USA.

Sweet Revenge!!

Smell My Finger
02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Canada has to physically make the Americans fold.
Force them to change their gameplan. Make them lose composure and cause stupid penalties.
Canada can not play protect the lead style of hockey like what Babcock did vs the Slovaks.
Canada has to get the lead and keep adding to it all game.
Bottom line keep the Hammer down. Less Pronger, No Bergeron, there is no reason for him to get in the game.
More Webber, Doughty. The first line has to produce, these past two games they have had chances mostly Iginla. If Crosby Staal Iginla produce the Shark, Duck, and Grinder line have proved they will supply support scoring.

dying4acup
02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Does anybody else thinks that Canada wins in spite of babcock, not because of him?

Rhettzky
02-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Does anybody else thinks that Canada wins in spite of babcock, not because of him?

I could care less how they win. Just win baby!!

Smell My Finger
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM

in a word yes.

mac_82
02-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Hopefully it will be even better than Wonderful Wednesday, Terrific Thursday and Fantastic Friday.

Hemi-Cuda
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
and you know what, regardless of the outcome you have to be happy as a Canadian hockey fan. Team Canada came into these games needing to erase the embarrassment of a 7th place finish in Torino, and they had to do it at home with the pressure of an entire nation on their backs. they stumbled early on, but then got their s**t together and laid an epic beatdown on our biggest hockey rival that will be remembered for years. now the worst they can do is win a silver medal, i could live with that

course Gold would look so much better in a team photo...

Daradon
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I do believe that Canada outplayed the US the first time around. The only thing was Miller played considerably above average and Brodeur, as well all know, played below average.

I don't think that happens this time. I see Miller being a little more human, and Luongo while not being lights out, faring better than Brodeur did. However, I do think the US plays even better than they did.

So it will be close.

I will also predict 4-2 with the last goal being an empty netter. I never bet against my team, so I gotta say Canada wins!

Daradon
02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
and you know what, regardless of the outcome you have to be happy as a Canadian hockey fan. Team Canada came into these games needing to erase the embarrassment of a 7th place finish in Torino, and they had to do it at home with the pressure of an entire nation on their backs. they stumbled early on, but then got their s**t together and laid an epic beatdown on our biggest hockey rival that will be remembered for years. now the worst they can do is win a silver medal, i could live with that

course Gold would look so much better in a team photo...

Good call, though there were so many things wrong with that last team it's hard to compare the two. It was messed up even before they played their first game.

It was nice to clobber the Russians though.

jeremywilhelm
02-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I want Canada to clobber the US. CLOBBER!

tripin_billie
02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I think tonight's game was an excellent last minute classroom session. Learned exactly what not to do in the third, and realized that they have to bring the hard work to win, can't rely on all star game style of overly intricate play.

It all comes down to how quickly Canada can get one past Miller. Oh, and not spotting USA 2 in the first few minutes would help.

I think that Canada wins Sunday simply because they are the better team, and I can't fathom any way that USA beats Canada twice in the same tournament.

Go Canada Go!!!!

burning_acid1
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
This is going to be a tight game, especially if Miller plays an amazing game again.

3-2 Canada if some of those shots start going in.

arloiginla
02-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Going to be a nailbiter. Either 3-1 Canada final (with empty net) or a 3-2 shootout win by the U.S.

Canuck-Hater
02-26-2010, 11:23 PM

You should post this on CDC. Its a Canuck fan habit to get cocky and satisfied too easy.

PIMking
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
USA USA USA!!!!

I hope it's a good game really I do.

Canada has had some scares the SO win over SUI a team that we beat twice. A stumble vs the slovakians and the yanks crushed kipper and the Fins.

It should be a good game and what I was hoping for

USA USA USA!!!

HOZ
02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Canada just about grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory tonight because they lost their focus and stopped skating. Do that against the US and the US goes undefeated. Canada dominated the US in the first game but the US showed they can pot goals when they get good chances. They will need as good an effort as that.

Smell My Finger
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Canada will have to look no further than the USA 5-3 loss to get motivation for the big payback. Canada 5-3

Daradon
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Canada will have to look no further than the USA 5-3 loss to get motivation for the big payback. Canada 5-3

By that logic, the US is going to be steamed for the 5-3 in STC 2002... ;)

OILFAN #81
02-26-2010, 11:45 PM
By that logic, the US is going to be steamed for the 5-3 in STC 2002... ;)

It was 5-2 in 2002 courtesy of the 5th goal by Joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Sakicccccc.

standinmotion
02-26-2010, 11:56 PM

I don't. Like somebody here said: gold is for winner. The rests are for losers. Who cares if we embarrassed the Russia. That won't be in any history book unless we win gold here. Which we shall.

RandomDad
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM

As a huge Canuck fan, I actually agree with you on this and hate it when Vancouver fans do this.

Just remember though, this is Canada vs USA, not Miller vs Luongo.

kirant
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Canada needs to keep their physical game going. Keep that, and their offense should vanish and Miller won't be able to protect against Canada's attack on USA's suspect defence.

I hope that happens. It'll be too scary to call if Canada plays like they did against Slovakia.

Mayer
02-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Kane starts off the trash talk for the Gold medal match up...

Here we go - Patrick Kane on Luongo: "That's a goalie I wouldn't mind facing."

http://twitter.com/BotchonCanucks

Infamous1
02-27-2010, 12:23 AM
LOL Kane is funny...always making comments like that. He was dissing the Flames quite a bit last playoff too. I actually don't mind his trash talk...it shows his immaturity but at the same time it's better than the guys that always speak in cliches and never have any substance.

holden
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Can we just thank Luongo for the work and put Brodeur in now?

I really hope the bonehead fans save the chants and Na-Na-Nah-Na's until the game is actually in hand. Oh Vancouver fans *sigh*

jd456
02-27-2010, 12:33 AM
7-2 US. Kane nets another hat trick and reminds Canada what 7uongo means. :bag:

In all seriousness though, it's gonna be a great game and I'm pulling for the US, but it's gonna be a close game either way. Like a lot of people said, it all comes down to Miller and how good of a start Canada has. I see it as a 4-2 game that can go either way, but hopefully the US finishes what they have started.

Five-hole
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Oh man.

Oh MAN.

H2SO4(aq)
02-27-2010, 12:40 AM
10-0 Canada.

Let make it very clear where the US rank against us please.

Bob
02-27-2010, 01:27 AM
I have a serious sinking feeling about this game. The US wants revenge for 2002, and they know they can get it. Miller > Luongo, and team Canada has been scrambly at times. I frankly think unless Canada gets rolling early on the US takes this one in the clear.

The US reminds me of those annoying Colorado Avs. They're not supposed to be that good, but they ain't going away.

jayswin
02-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Can we just thank Luongo for the work and put Brodeur in now?

I really hope the bonehead fans save the chants and Na-Na-Nah-Na's until the game is actually in hand. Oh Vancouver fans *sigh*

Ummm, I was under the impression that we wanted to win the gold medal. ;)

3 Justin 3
02-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I have a serious sinking feeling about this game. The US wants revenge for 2002, and they know they can get it. Miller > Luongo, and team Canada has been scrambly at times. I frankly think unless Canada gets rolling early on the US takes this one in the clear.

The US reminds me of those annoying Colorado Avs. They're not supposed to be that good, but they ain't going away.

Did you watch the Canada/USA game though, they weren't that good. We essentially dominated that entire game. We only lost because Brodeur let in 4 weak goals.

Luongo needs to be good, but not lights out, and we win.

If Canada can come out guns blazing like they did against the Russians, the USA doesn't have a chance.

Bob
02-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Did you watch the Canada/USA game though, they weren't that good. We essentially dominated that entire game. We only lost because Brodeur let in 4 weak goals.

Luongo needs to be good, but not lights out, and we win.

If Canada can come out guns blazing like they did against the Russians, the USA doesn't have a chance.

Oh I know the Avs--er... Americans were largely outplayed, but they managed to get continually get lucky, bury their few chances, and get by on superhuman goaltending. Finland should have put up a better fight, but Kipper craps the bed early leading to a USA route in the first.

I agree that if Canada starts early, they should just roll over the Americans, but I'm still worried. I have a feeling the American puck-luck will continue.

TSXCman
02-27-2010, 02:06 AM

Touche

"We Want Gold/The Cup!!!!" is ridiculous and not helpful to making it become true

Bob
02-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Touche

"We Want Gold/The Cup!!!!" is ridiculous and not helpful to making it become true

Maybe it's okay if Canada's up like 6-0 in the third.

d_phaneuf
02-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Kane starts off the trash talk for the Gold medal match up...

http://twitter.com/BotchonCanucks

The whole quote isn't that cocky, sadly its true, and I am surprised Botchford left the first part out

"I've had my luck against him, personally," Kane said. "So he's a goalie I wouldn't mind facing."

Can't really argue with him, but stuff like that usually motivates Luongo. I think he gets the last laugh as someone puts a gold medal around his neck as Kane watches.

troutman
02-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Canada will whip the US worse than the Russians.

IOC will downgrade them to a bronze medal.

nemanja2306
02-27-2010, 03:03 AM
20 cent is the last person who should be thrash talking....

Diet Water
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
20 cent is the last person who should be thrash talking....

He's made Luongo look bad in a big game before, maybe he's just trying to get into his head.

I have no problem with it, makes the game more interesting.

henriksedin33
02-27-2010, 03:24 AM
4-1 Canada and Weber lays out 20-cent-Patty in the trolley tracks

Kaine
02-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Wouldn't be sad at all to see someone CLEANLY take Kane's head off or make him a permanent part of the boards.

My love for a few Canadian players and hatred for Kane is enough for me to forget about where I was born for a day. Go Canada :cool:

FBI
02-27-2010, 07:20 AM
OK if that happens then it's ok.. Just not at 3-2 or 2-1.. We want the cup still irks me from 6 years ago..

Maybe it's okay if Canada's up like 6-0 in the third.

NBC
02-27-2010, 07:35 AM
These tournaments always come down to goalkeeping. Just look at the past few major International tournaments and the teams with the best 'keeper at the time usually wins. Richter '96, Hasek '98, Brodeur '02, Brodeur '04, Lundqvist '06. Those old Canada Cups were more about the wide-open, free-flowing style of hockey than rigid defence and stellar goalkeeping. Not the case anymore.

While I personally don't think Team USA has much of a pedigree, they do have by far the best GK in the tournament. And if recent history tells us anything, this is usually enough in a one-shot, winner-take-all final. Having said that I hope Team Canada pummels the Yanks. The only thing sweeter than beating the US in men's hockey in a major final is beating the Russians.

mikey_the_redneck
02-27-2010, 08:57 AM
So excited!.....

Crosby will come up with his best game of the Olympics. Just watch...

While Sid gets all the attention from the media after his big game, Jarome Iginla quietly collects his gold medal after a 1g,1a night and a big hit on Kesler..

JayP
02-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a serious sinking feeling about this game. The US wants revenge for 2002, and they know they can get it.

How many players on the 2010 team were on the 2002 teams?

I'd wager that you could count them with one hand.

Jetsfan
02-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Canada is playing a much better game now then a week ago.

Canada 7-2

browna
02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
How many players on the 2010 team were on the 2002 teams?

I'd wager that you could count them with one hand.

2. Rafalski and Drury.

Just hoping for a great game from Iginla on the ice and the scoresheet, and a Canada win.

West Karma
02-27-2010, 09:33 AM
nm

Maritime Q-Scout
02-27-2010, 09:38 AM
NOTE: I am a dual citizen so this is a dream come true!! I want to see a great game!!!

Dude, that's like saying "I live in Red Deer, either Calgary or Edmonton winning the cup is fine"

browna
02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Here is the difference....The USA has played 4 out of 5 games at noon. They are in the routine of playing at that time. Canada is not. I know these guys are pros but I don't care who you are, it is going to effect the outcome. Hockey players are very routine in their preparation with everything from sleeping to eating. Hockey players that play nooners or 1 PM games typically do not perform the way they do at night. The USA has the advantage as they are use to it in this tournament....

That's a small advatange, maybe. Of course, this isn't a normal road trip either with normal day to day preperation. Hockey players' routine on the road isn't staying for a week in half in a (edit: condomless) communal village with other athletes, and in such a frenized environment and atmosphere.

HOZ
02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Dude, that's like saying "I live in Red Deer, either Calgary or Edmonton winning the cup is fine"

Nah.....not quite.

sa226
02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
If Canada loses this game, it is because they lost it, not because the US won it.

If that makes any sense

West Karma
02-27-2010, 10:17 AM
nm

Infamous1
02-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Miller has been the best goalie in the tournament no doubt but to hear how much better he is than Luongo just doesn't compute for me. His team has played excellent D and he has not faced very many solid chances in most games. He played great against Canada but he was average all of February for the Sabres and was beaten by Luongo in January.

I don't think he's a HUGE advantage....but I'll admit he's a slight one as his confidence is probably sky high. Get some bodies in front of him and make him work and we'll be fine.

RandomDad
02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
2. Rafalski and Drury.

Just hoping for a great game from Iginla on the ice and the scoresheet, and a Canada win.

Pretty sure it was just Rafalski

Yamer
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Pretty sure it was just Rafalski

Drury was there as well.

rockstar
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM
4-2 USA. Kane with two goals. Miller makes 44 stops.

KTown
02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
If Canada loses this game, it is because they lost it, not because the US won it.

If that makes any sense

Thats a terrible statement!! The U.S. could say the same thing.

The team that wins this game is the team that played with there hearts, in a one game elimination style heart and emotion are as critical as talent.

direwolf
02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
The US is a lot quicker than some of these other teams and will not back down to the tremendous forecheck of Canada like the Russians did!

I'm not worried at all. Canada's forwards have dominated in the offensive zone all tournament so far, and that includes the 5-3 loss to the U.S. The only difference in that game was Miller. If Marty doesn't let in those 2 brutal goals early, we win that game. If Canada can keep their feet moving and stay hard on the forecheck for a full 60 minutes, they'll win the gold medal on Sunday. I just can't see us losing to the U.S. twice in the same tournament. If Canada is firing on all cylinders on Sunday, Miller will need to play the game of his life for the States to win. It'll be a close game for sure, but I like our chances.

TheSutterDynasty
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Tony Amonte
Tom Barrasso
Chris Chelios
Adam Deadmarsh
Chris Drury
Mike Dunham
Bill Guerin
Phil Housley
Brett Hull
John LeClair
Brian Leetch
Aaron Miller
Mike Modano
Tom Poti
Brian Rafalski
Mike Richter
Jeremy Roenick
Brian Rolston
Keith Tkachuk
Doug Weight
Mike York
Scott Young

Tsawwassen
02-27-2010, 03:11 PM
4-2 USA. Kane with two goals. Miller makes 44 stops. And Lindy Ruff will be so proud of his goalie as the two fly together after the game to Pittsburgh for Tuesday's fantastic NHL game between the Sabres and Penguins.

iamca
02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
The US is majorly outmatched by Canada and this was pretty evident last Sunday. If not for brutal goaltending in that game, the US probably would be out of the tournament already.

I expect Canada to completely dominate Sunday as they did for large portions last Sunday. The difference is that Canada is playing with a lot more confidence and they have their lines pretty much figured out. The US has played a pretty easy schedule to this point and has run into some terrible goaltending against the two tough opponents they faced.

5-1 Canada.

Ari, I know you have stated this before, but as you witnessed in last night's game against the Slovaks, this Canadian team has shown a tendency to not play with urgency for 60 minutes.

Canada's goaltending needs to be solid if not spectacular, but the offense needs to get Miller out of sync without taking interference penalties. Canada needs a strong and consistent presence in front of Miller, as he has been lights out so far when he has clear sight of the puck.

pewpew
02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Ari, I know you have stated this before, but as you witnessed in last night's game against the Slovaks, this Canadian team has shown a tendency to not play with urgency for 60 minutes.

Canada's goaltending needs to be solid if not spectacular, but the offense needs to get Miller out of sync without taking interference penalties. Canada needs a strong and consistent presence in front of Miller, as he has been lights out so far when he has clear sight of the puck.
It could be they thought they were free and clear against the Slovaks. I doubt anyone thought the Slovaks would mount a comeback so more than likely they let up on the pedal trying to conserve energy etc. I don't think it will be a problem against the US especially since we lost last week.

jayswin
02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
4-2 USA. Kane with two goals. Miller makes 44 stops.

I'm afraid you're incorrect.

nickerjones
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM

If that makes any sense

Still no respect eh? :rolleyes:... Like I said as a stereotypical "Arrogant American" , I like your confidence. However I still think the U.S. deserves some respect for the 1st win. If the same thing happened to your favorite NHL team you would say " championship teams find a way to win even when they are outplayed" , instead of US didnt win that game Canada lost it.

However Canadians are playing a lot better since they got beat, even though they almost choked it off last night. My prediction for this game is ...

6-2 in favor of CANADA :(
Americans get scored on twice first and they break.... They leave feeling good with the Silver knowing they split the Olympic series with a bad ass Canadian team.

HOOT
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Going to be in Vancouver for this game so I'm pretty excited and pumped for the after party when Canada wins GOLD!!!

Only Canada stuff I have is a Phaneuf junior jersey and Orr 1976 jersey (signed so that ain't going out) so I might sport my Flames gear. It's red...:D

Kesler17
02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Going to be in Vancouver for this game so I'm pretty excited and pumped for the after party when Canada wins GOLD!!!

Only Canada stuff I have is a Phaneuf junior jersey and Orr 1976 jersey (signed so that ain't going out) so I might sport my Flames gear. It's red...:D
Yea gonna be dt as well, I don't even want to imagine how much a loss would affect the large crowd. And I'm not there will be a riot.

RandomDad
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Off-topic: Didn't know where else to post this, but EWW I forgot that about this jersey

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/bekar18/007-1.jpg

and yes that is also a Kings jersey in the background.

HOOT
02-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Yea gonna be dt as well, I don't even want to imagine how much a loss would affect the large crowd. And I'm not there will be a riot.

If they lose I'm going to go and start smashing windows and then log on to CP and blame it on Canuck fans. :w00t:

Kjesse
02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't use sports books often, but for this game I am. Bodog (a site I don't like but I have money there so I'm using it) is currently offering even odds for Canada to win and -110 for the US to win. Taking Canada at even odds is a good bet, so I put everything in that account on Canada to win.

What is interesting is that this means the people who use that site have collectively decided the US has the advantage to win. When you look at how and why Canada lost the first game, an even bet for Canada looks pretty good. And I don't think the US's result against Finland proves anything. (At the same time the late Slovak push yesterday still gives me jitters.)

GirlySports
02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't use sports books often, but for this game I am. Bodog (a site I don't like but I have money there so I'm using it) is currently offering even odds for Canada to win and -110 for the US to win. Taking Canada at even odds is a good bet, so I put everything in that account on Canada to win.

What is interesting is that this means the people who use that site have collectively decided the US has the advantage to win. When you look at how and why Canada lost the first game, an even bet looks pretty good. And I don't think the US's result against Finland proves anything.

I think you're reading that wrong. Canada is a HUGE favorite.

Canada -1(EVEN)

Kjesse
02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
That shows you how much I use sports books... thanks. Now a bet on the US is -120 though.

Mathgod
02-27-2010, 10:35 PM
I just hope there isn't an american dollar bill buried beneath center ice...

chalms04
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I just hope there isn't an american dollar bill buried beneath center ice...
or a Sacajawea
http://www.factology.com/sacajawea.jpg

Ren
02-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I would like to see an 8-7 win for Canada or something. Just so America loses and we can say we won in spite of Luuuuu.

d_phaneuf
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM

What is interesting is that this means the people who use that site have collectively decided the US has the advantage to win. When you look at how and why Canada lost the first game, an even bet for Canada looks pretty good. And I don't think the US's result against Finland proves anything. (At the same time the late Slovak push yesterday still gives me jitters.)

Canada is -1 at Bodog -105

that means if they win by 1 its a push

and its the generally accepted line, it has nothing about how much people have bet. Its what they set the line at to get people on both sides.

For example at Pinnacle Canada -1 is +106

Canada to win the gold medal is -200, to win in regulation is -127

pepper24
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't see the Canadians losing twice to the Americans. Miller outplays Luongo but the Canadians still win 5-3. Canada is just too good.

Getzlaf, Crosby, Iginla, Weber, Doughty.
Kane, Parise (2)

Go Canada!

Kidder
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
This game is setting up to be an absolute classic.

The storyline couldn't be scripted any better. Now add in that a Canadian victory gives us the record for most Golds by ANY country at the Winter Olympic games, on home soil no less.

To borrow the words from a legendary broadcaster, this will be a Ring-A-Ding-Dong-Dandy!!!

GO CANADA GO!!!

RyZ
02-27-2010, 11:51 PM
If Canada brings the 'A' game then it really doesn't matter what the USA does. If the goaltending duel isn't as lopsided as last game, I can't see the American skaters out playing the Canadian skaters for a big win. Especially if Miller and Luongo play at a similar level.

GirlySports
02-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah bascially Canada -1 is the even line. Which is fair. Last Sunday it was -1.5.

Bet at your peril.

twisted
02-28-2010, 12:03 AM
well I am sitting here thinking about tomorrow game and my heart is beating hard; Feeling the pressure... I don't know how those guys are feeling now....

minnow
02-28-2010, 12:09 AM
This series has been so melodramatic...now I'm hearing that Iggy is back down to the third line with Towes and Morrow, to take on the US top line of Parise, Langenbrunner and Stastny. Crosby is the weak link on the first line, so they move everyone around to try to get him going? It's kind of late for that. Iggy is scoring (or setting up scorers) so they move him to a shut down position? The US is using their scorers to score and their grinders to grind. That makes more sense to me. I think Crosby has screwed up this whole team. I really, really hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.

flylock shox
02-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Canada wins 5-4 in a shootout. Kane is smushed beyond recognition.

God I'm going to miss the Olympics. They made Vancouver so much more fun. Here's hoping it ends on a really high note.

jeremywilhelm
02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I have no problem with Iginla back with Toews and Morrow. If Iginla plays smashmouth hockey he is gonna create some room for those two and they will create room for him. Toews is such a fantastic player. He is outplaying Crosby by a mile this tournie (this is coming from a HUGE Crosby fan).

Who cares who plays where as long as Canada wins!

arloiginla
02-28-2010, 12:19 AM
I have to go back on my original prediction of a close game or shootout loss.

Watching the Finland-Slovakia game has further affirmed to me that momentum doesn't exist in this tournament.

Slovakia should have had everything going for them as far as Big Mo goes but they didn't score first, and didn't close out what should have been an airtight 3-1 lead after two on an offensively challenged team.

U.S. momentum coming into this means nothing. They might have the better first 10 minutes of the game but unless they score another six goals in those 10 minutes it won't matter.

Canada takes it fairly convincingly by at least two goals. They are better at every position except goal and if they score an early one on Miller I think he will be out of their heads and a non-factor.

bc-chris
02-28-2010, 12:58 AM
4 -3 canada….

usa gets 3 quick goals, Canada pulls luongo, iggy gets 4 goals.

the results...
Canada wins, iggy's a hero, luongo is still a luuuuuuser (not to mention we won't have to endure endless luuuuuu chants everytime the puck misses the net!)

GO IGGY GO!!!!!

minnow
02-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Call me a homer, but Slovakia got an easy ride from the ref when they played Canada. Canada won because they are by far the better team regardless of the American ref. The Fins beat them because all those penalties (or enough of them) were called in the game today.

HOOT
02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Leaving in 5 hours to Vancouver. I have decided not to sleep and just continue to drink and get stoned. I've decided internet poker will keep me occupied until then. :bag:

silentsim
02-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I have no problem with Iginla back with Toews and Morrow. If Iginla plays smashmouth hockey he is gonna create some room for those two and they will create room for him. Toews is such a fantastic player. He is outplaying Crosby by a mile this tournie (this is coming from a HUGE Crosby fan).

Who cares who plays where as long as Canada wins!

It would be stupid to break up Morrow Getzlaf Perry.

That line has been the best of Canada's since formed.

timbit
02-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Canada 5-1

icarus
02-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Canada, but it will be a close one. I'm thinking 3-2.

Looking forward to it, it's on at primetime here and I think a lot of people will be watching their first hockey game. I tried to get on the guest list to watch it at Canada House in Trafalgar Square but they overbooked it (and this was before Canada even played Russia).

I have the choice between the BBC feed or the Eurosport feed and I am definitely going with Eurosport because Paul Romaniuk does the play-by-play... it's like being at home!

Already on Eurosport broadcasts they've been reading out viewers' questions from places like Mexico and Yemen (and not Canadian ex-pats) so there really are a lot of people watching hockey for the first time.

Machiavelli
02-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Is this really the time to try to get Crosby going?

Dan02
02-28-2010, 08:33 AM
hmmm playing the Americans again, this time on home ice for the gold, chance for Canada to take the outright lead in most gold medals won at the games ever. Nope no pressure at all :)

I_H8_Crawford
02-28-2010, 08:52 AM
7-3 usa :(

mrdeeds
02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Keys are to score early, keep the foot on the gas and Luongo not to let in an early softy.

4-2 Canada. Thornton with the GW. Hey if this guy scores, we CANT lose!:confused:

megatron
02-28-2010, 09:54 AM
My dream would be a 3-1 Canada with Iggy potting 2.

I think it will actually be a bit closer 3-2 for Canada. I also agree that the Morrow-Gezlaf-Perry line has been the best since it was formed, so it wouldn't make sense to break up that "chemistry" since it was identified that that was what this team was built upon.

I'm just wondering where that chemistry has gone between Staal-Crosby-Iggy like in the German game? I know Crosby hasn't been playing up to snuff, but I thought Staal and Iggy have had decent games.

Go Canada Go!

ricardodw
02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
In the first USA game Canada lost the goal tending and physical battle was at best a draw.

After that game the Canadian team have gone into full assault mode... Canadian style. Kane and Parise will be getting the Ovechkin treatment.

For the USA to win... Kessler, Malone, Langerbrunner, Backes and Brown have to tougher than Iginla, Toews, Morrow, Richards, Staal, Nash and Getzlaff.

sa226
02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Outside of the teams on paper, which I think Canada wins in a landslide, there are so many angles to approach this game from

-US revenge for 2002, Canada winning on US soil
-Revenge for Canada, being beaten in the prelims by US on home soil.
-Chance to clinch record for golds
-Pressure for Canada to win gold on home soil
-Looseness of the US, they want to win, but silver is a great result for that team, not for Canada

The list goes on.

It is very difficult to compare Stanley Cup playoffs to the Olympics, but I think this is the biggest game of every single players' lives. Including Niedermayer.

The amount of eyes on this game is probably going to be triple or quadruple what would be on the Stanley Cup final.

The pride of a country runs deeper than the pride of a franchise. Not only that but the winner of this game is going to want to stake a claim to dominance in the sport itself.
So much is on the line.

I may be caught up in the hype but that is what I think.

Infamous1
02-28-2010, 10:24 AM
The US guys are already saying they'd be happy with the Silver. No Canadian player would ever say that. The pressure is 100% on us and that might make things tough if we don't score first.

OzSome
02-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Revenge from 2002 Olympic? Nah!

Canada will be so pumped up especially after losing in the 1st round to the same team. USA made the D looks bad on that game so I can just see Niedermayer, Weber and the guys getting their revenge. It is going to be hard fought game. Canada will beat the most Gold Medals in Winter Olympics ever with the help of Men's Hockey Team by winning the Gold.

These time, I don't think the Canadian team will rely on the goaltender too much. You'll see a lot of forechecking, hitting, and they will spend mre time pressuring Miller.

kirant
02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I predict Weber will burn another hole in the net.

Jesse834
02-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Same score from 2002. 5-2 Canada.

Crosby, Heater, Getz, Weber, and Iggy.

VladtheImpaler
02-28-2010, 11:01 AM
After much soul-searching, I have concluded that I simply cannot cheer for a team with Thornton, Heatley, Getzlaf, Nash, Perry and Luongo on it. Iginla just doesn't outweigh that much hatred, so I will have to be a neutral observer, and just hope for a great game. ;)

pepper24
02-28-2010, 11:06 AM
The US guys are already saying they'd be happy with the Silver. No Canadian player would ever say that. The pressure is 100% on us and that might make things tough if we don't score first.

Where did you hear this? Link? I am pro-Canada but I think that the US team is too proud to think of silver right now.

pope04
02-28-2010, 11:06 AM
As the illustrious JR stated, it's tough to beat the same team twice. 4-2 Canada.

Lil Pedro
02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
The only difference in this game is Miller. Canada has to get in this guys "kitchen" and get him off his game. He has the ability to steal a game for the Americans. Gotta get traffic in front of him and quality shots

Infamous1
02-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Where did you hear this? Link? I am pro-Canada but I think that the US team is too proud to think of silver right now.

I can't find the exact link but I remember reading Parise saying something and this is a quote from Backes:

"You look at the opportunity we have in front of us, to win a gold medal. If all goes haywire, and we have a little snafu, we have a silver medal around our necks. We'd obviously love to have the gold. But either way, what pressure can you be under? You go out there and lay it on the line."

I shouldn't say they are HAPPY with the silver but they do not have any pressure as they weren't supposed to make it this far in the first place. Top 3 Teams going in were Russia/Canada/Sweden.

The Ditch
02-28-2010, 11:16 AM
3-2 Canada in overtime in a real nail biter.

Red Ice Player
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Its a win win for the casual/bandwagon US hockey viewer. If the Americans win they can say that the USA is the greatest hockey nation on earth, then go back to watching Nascar and filling in their NCAA tournament brackets. If the USA loses, they can say "Meh! Never liked hockey anyway," then go back to watching Nascar and filling in their NCAA tournament brackets.... Yes, this is a massive generalization but I happen to believe it. So we better win dammit! 4-2 Canada.

burning_acid1
02-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Should be a very close game! 3-2 or 4-2 Canada

frostiex
02-28-2010, 11:40 AM
The Canadian team is very different now compare to the beginning of the tourney...much much stronger. If we already played great against the US during the first game (game stolen by miller). The teams gap will even be greater. I predict a blow out. 6-2 Canada with Luongo letting in 2 weak one.

J epworth
02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
What quote should I put on the back of my canada shirt, all my friends are doing it and I can't think of a good one

robocop
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
what quote should i put on the back of my canada shirt, all my friends are doing it and i can't think of a good one

luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

or is it

louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I dunno, but you get the idea

Resolute 14
02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
What quote should I put on the back of my canada shirt, all my friends are doing it and I can't think of a good one

"Lemming"

Flash Walken
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Unoriginal.

feartheflames
02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Its on at 1 right?

robocop
02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Are they switching up the lines again?

Flash Walken
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Are they switching up the lines again?
I hope so.

Crosby and Iginla just aren't working together.

Maybe Richards - Crosby - Thornton...

Infamous1
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Damn I'm getting harsh nervous!!

Spinach
02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
If the game's out of reach for us at any point, I hope we start a bench-clearing brawl and both teams get disqualified. The gold would go to Finland.

Anyone but the USA. Anyone. Even if it means we don't medal. We don't need to hear about a yank hockey win for the next 10,000 years.

Go Finland!

OzSome
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
After much soul-searching, I have concluded that I simply cannot cheer for a team with Thornton, Heatley, Getzlaf, Nash, Perry and Luongo on it. Iginla just doesn't outweigh that much hatred, so I will have to be a neutral observer, and just hope for a great game. ;)

Sorry dude, today those guys you mentuoned play for Team Canada and that's good enough. I cannot stand Luongo but today he is not wearing the enemy's (Vancouver Canucks) uniform so I don't mind cheering for him. After the tournament, everything is back to normal.

GO CANADA GO!!

Jesse834
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Its on at 1 right?

1:15 PM MT On CTV.

Eastern Girl
02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm really nervous about this game. I think it's gonna come down to the wire. I hope I'm wrong and Canada destroys them early on and throughout, but either way, I'm hoping for a good showing! Best of the best on the ice, should be classic.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Top Shelf
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
will be interesting to see the tv ratings for this game, does anyone know what they were for the last two games?

Jesse834
02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I think Burke almost started to cry when asked about Duthie asked him about his son

TheSutterDynasty
02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
will be interesting to see the tv ratings for this game, does anyone know what they were for the last two games?

Canada/Slovakia had 9.7 million viewers, peaking at 12.3 million.

www.twitter.com/darrendreger (http://www.twitter.com/darrendreger)

Eastern Girl
02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I was just out at the grocery store and the place was packed with stragglers buying pop and snacks in their Canada jerseys. I think the ratings are going to be insane.

Infamous1
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Is this the game thread? I unfortunately have to work til 4pm so i'm watching the game here but if we win i'm heading downtown after to party as it's 15 mins away!

Smell My Finger
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Canada where legends are born.

Canuck-Hater
02-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I hope so.

Crosby and Iginla just aren't working together.

Maybe Richards - Crosby - Thornton...

Crosby and Iggy arent working together? Could of fooled me, they get a chance every time they are on the ice.

Flame Of Liberty
02-28-2010, 01:02 PM

C'mon man, you know you have to cheer for the Evil Empire ;)

USA! USA!

I'd like to see Stastny's kid to win the gold. Let's go Yankees!

HPLovecraft
02-28-2010, 01:03 PM
C'mon man, you know you have to cheer for the Evil Emipire ;)

USA! USA!

I'd like to see Stastny's kid to win the gold. Let's go Yankees!

Gross.

Jesse834
02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Lets go Canada!!!

Hunter74
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
wow Iggy tried to throw a hit. I better mark it on my calender.