PDA

View Full Version : Hockey is Canada's Game! or Why is HockeyCanada paying this fake fan?

Ducay
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
You've all seen the guy. Row 1, attack corner. Bottlecap glasses, helmet with goal light on it, a plethora of giant signs.

He was there at every World Junior game, and surprise surprise, he has been there at every Canadian Olympic game.

At first I thought it was a good idea, but its getting a little tiring seeing how much camera time the guy gets, why not show real fans who arn't being paid to be there. I understand Hockey Canada wanting some extra cheering at the WJHC games, but why do we need him at the olympics? Makes us seem "fake" once you realize we've got this paid shill trying to show off to the world at "how intense fans Canadian fans are"

Ugh, he ranks up there with the "Eh-O-Canada-GO" chant.

mykalberta
02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Is this the guy that looks like Bubbles?

3thirty
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Any proof that he is fake or just spends a boatload of money to see the games?

3thirty
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
i think so

Ducay
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Any proof that he is fake or just spends a boatload of money to see the games?

Buddy who was on the Canadian WJHC team indicated so, and plus, who gets the same front row tickets to EVERY Olympic game and WJHC game without being a millionaire or a HockeyCanada employee?

Yup

The Yen Man
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
That's a paid fan? I always just assumed that guy is some Hockey Canada exec's slow brother or something. I see him every game.

Bobblehead
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Things must be going pretty well if this all there is to rant about.

silentsim
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
i HIGHLY doubt hockey canada is using "fake fans", maybe he is related to someone in team canada brass

burn_this_city
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I doubt anyone is paid to be a fan. Like someone else said, probably the brother of an exec or someone close to the organization.

Deelow
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I think he is working for Hockey Canada. He was passing out flyers at the games in Saskatoon...still, that doesn't make him a fake fan.

Smell My Finger
02-25-2010, 11:33 AM
That guy is a Flames fan. The OT win over the Canucks by the Flames PJ stock pointed him out going crazy behind the Canucks bench. Same get up except he had a GO FLAMES GO sign and was wearing an Iginla jersey.
Unless he was paid by CBC which I doubt.

Rhettzky
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
This guy officially has the best job in the world.

Ducay
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he is working for Hockey Canada. He was passing out flyers at the games in Saskatoon...still, that doesn't make him a fake fan.

This is true, I guess he's just a lucky SOB who's getting paid to do what we all love to do.

nik-
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I just figured he was given tickets to the Olympics for being so visible in Saskatoon.

chalms04
02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I hate this guy, because I want to be him.

North East Goon
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I believe that guy is the owner of Dash tours a sports based travel company based out of Regina.

Julio
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
The guy in question is, I believe, Dave Ash, owner of Dash Tours, who does concert and sports tours out of Regina.
http://www.dashtours.com/

Darn you goon!

questionmotives
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Brutal thread.

Let's give a guy s*** for cheering his heart out and supporting his country?

Give me a break. I love that guy. I watched the game with about 20 people and everyone cheered when he was shown prior to the opening faceoff.

Ducay
02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Exactly, he could have a broken microvwave or something important like that.

Nah, thats more of a weekend hobby.

Johnny Canuck
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Ugh I can't stand that guy. Mainly because I think he looks like a Jackass with the helmet/bottlecap glasses combo.

And lets be honest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/UberMan5000/1000/84.jpg

>
http://www.juliamccurdy.com/%21bubbles2.jpg

If they are going to pay a fan to cheer for Canada, I'd MUCH prefer her.

Russic
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Didn't the flames used to have 4 guys like this? Isn't one of them a CP'er?

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
02-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Paid or not, Personally, I HATE the Canadian PROPAGANDA and overall arrogance the majority of Canadians have towards hockey.

"LETS REMIND THEM WHOSE GAME THEY'RE PLAYING!"

Ducay
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Its his damned professional signs that give him away.

Winsor_Pilates
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
"He Shoots, He Scores"

Regular_John
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Whether he's paid to be there or not, I sure am sick of seeing him on TV. Ok, we get it, you enjoy being a public spectacle and having your face on the jumbotron/TV so you have something to brag about at Tim Horton's the next day. But the whole "look at me look at me look at me" bit is annoying as hell.

Are you there to watch hockey? Or are you there to be on TV? Reminds me of David Puddy at the Rangers/Devils game.

Sainters7
02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
He wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for his lame-o signs and that siren on his head. He doesn't bother me, but I always kinda roll my eyes when they show him. Just looks and dresses up like the biggest nerd, somehow I'm not surprised he's a hired gun. That's a pretty sweet gig he's got though.

troutman
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
This guy officially has the best job in the world.

Better than Tiger?

loob job
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought the same thing when i kept seeing him in the olympics and at the worlds. I thought they were paying him as too.

Cowboy89
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
The guy in question is, I believe, Dave Ash, owner of Dash Tours, who does concert and sports tours out of Regina.

Darn you goon!

I think so too. He was sitting near me at the Grey Cup with a green colored siren light and a Riders Jersey. If you look at the tapes of the Western Final, he was there too. Just a well connected passionate fan.

silentsim
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Darn you goon!

thanks for clearing up what is an absurd comment that hockey canada would be paying someone lol

amorak
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for clearing up what is an absurd comment that hockey canada would be paying someone lol

I think the OP has the shakes, I hear he's banned from Xbox for the week.

pylon
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I am pretty sure he is the shaking finger point guy from the dome. Some one on here had mentioned he owns a bunch of Tim Hortons franchises. I could be wrong but it looks just like him.

calgaryred
02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
If he is being paid to be a fan maybe Atlanta should call him up to make that empty cavern at Thrashers games look exciting

Temporary_User
02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Not the same guy, but people are brought in and paid to cheer.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35519938/ns/today-today_in_vancouver/

I thought this guy was hired until I saw the "Hockey is Canada's game" sign. You would think a paid fan would have to be impartial. I guess he could be hired by Hockey Canada.

jayswin
02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Paid or not, Personally, I HATE the Canadian PROPAGANDA and overall arrogance the majority of Canadians have towards hockey.

"LETS REMIND THEM WHOSE GAME THEY'RE PLAYING!"

Yes, god forbid we be outgoing and loud and proud about something in this country. :bag:

Hemi-Cuda
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
i can forgive the Coke commercial just because it's awesome, but i really hate seeing these "patriotic Canadian" commercials coming from American companies like Pepsi and McDonalds. it's like if Tim Horton's released an ad supporting the Team USA athletes, it just looks dumb

silentsim
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM

I thought this guy was hired until I saw the "Hockey is Canada's game" sign. You would think a paid fan would have to be impartial. I guess he could be hired by Hockey Canada.

The article states
"“I’m neutral,” he said. “The Olympics hired me to come in and cheer every crowd.”
"

The olympics hired him (VANOC?), not Hockey Canada.

Nufy
02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Exactly, he could still have a broken microvwave or something important like that.

Fixed.....:D

getbak
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
i can forgive the Coke commercial just because it's awesome, but i really hate seeing these "patriotic Canadian" commercials coming from American companies like Pepsi and McDonalds. it's like if Tim Horton's released an ad supporting the Team USA athletes, it just looks dumb
Also, if you look at the McDonald's "the only thing better than winning, is winning at home" ad, when they cut to shots of the crowd, it's actually footage from the 2006 Finals in Carolina.

minnow
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
He always has a lanyard with an official looking pass around his neck. ?

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Yes, god forbid we be outgoing and loud and proud about something in this country. :bag:

There is pride, and then there is arrogance.

For a country that has two dates with international significance at the professional level(1972, 2002) There is a certain level of undeserved superiority or an ethnocentric mentality that every other country should feel privileged to be playing Canada's game with Canadians. After the 7-3 slaughtering of the Russians, listening to the fan960, many callers had this mighty impression feeling that Canada is the only country capable of playing a physical game and they believed that Canada would just hit any other team out of the rink.

jar_e
03-01-2010, 01:42 AM

I was in Vancouver last week and we had this guy at a few of our events. They were more a family-friendly cheerleaders TBQH. There were probably a dozen of them that would run up and down the aisles, start clapping, the wave, etc. It was good, especially for some non-marquee games (ie. the 5th place women's hockey game).

Secondly, how does this other fan get tickets what seems to be always in the same spot? I tried tooth and nail to get tickets for all these 2010 games and all the seat selection was random. Either he had an in with a corporate sponsor who had a block of seats or something else. No way he got the tickets the same way the rest of us did.