PDA

View Full Version : Raise your hand if...

arloiginla
02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
...you picked Slovakia, USA and Finland to make the final 4 in mens hockey. None of those countries have won Olympic gold in this generation.

Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic - who would have guessed none of those countries would have a sniff at a medal?

If there's anything this tournament has taught us since NHL participation in 1998, it's that nothing's a sure thing. A single-knockout tournament in which seeding doesn't matter, in which round robin doesn't matter, and in which rosters on paper don't matter.

One would think that with the best players in the world taking part, the cream would rise to the top and the teams with the very best players, would usually win. It hasn't happened that way.

It also seems momentum doesn't exist/doesn't matter. In 2002, Sweden was the best team in the tournament before losing to Belarus. In 1998, Canada coasted through the tournament before losing to Czech Republic. In 2006, Russia defeated Canada in the quarters and never scored another goal in the tournament.

And here we are. Final four. Canada is the only remaining considered hockey "superpower." This after barely beating Switzerland, losing to USA, and having to play an extra qualification against Germany. A strange and meandering road to gold seems a lot easier now with only Slovakia and Finland/USA in the way.

But if history has taught us anything, it's that nothing is a sure thing anymore.

united
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
kausatoday (http://twitter.com/kausatoday)
Raise your hand if you predicted Slovakia, Finland, USA and Canada as your men hockey semfinalists...You are lying if your hand is raised.

mykalberta
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I think it also teaches us that the bye isnt really that important. Especially when you bring a team of stars together, no matter the quality of the opponent, more games are almost always a good thing.

GirlySports
02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Further proof that it's a game of systems and coaching too, not just the best players.

JD
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
While Finland might not be considered one of the "hockey super powers", maybe they should be, considering they won silver in the last two major tournaments (2006 Turin and 2004 World Cup). They're consistently up there with the so-called super powers.

Kiprusoff and/or Ryan Miller are the only things standing between Canada and gold, IMO.

Slovakia is good but Halak doesn't scare me.

The Yen Man
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
In one game elimination games, the key is your goalie. If your goalie plays lights out, then you have a chance, even against the powerhouses. If your goalie is only average (ie. Nabokov and Lundquist last night, and Brodeur on Sunday), then even powerhouses can go home empty handed.

Clever_Iggy
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not surprised at all that the Czech Republic and Sweden are on the outside looking in nor am I surprised that the US and Finland are in contention. Over the past couple of years, I've read articles and heard commentary about the sad state of hockey development in the Czech Republic (compared to what it was and Slovakia). Sweden's roster was less fact based and more based on me not being overly impressed by their roster.

Finland has been on the rise the past 6 years or so. And with Kipper in net, anything can happen. The US was put together very well. Lots of youth mixed with vets that have gas left in the tank (unlike 2006) and Ryan Miller is playing Kiprusarian this season.

To me, the only surprise is that Russia is out this early. I didn't think they were gold worthy, but top 4 at the least - 1. Canada, 2. Finland, 3. Russia, 4. US were my thoughts pre tournament.

yads
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
You're seriously not considering Finland and the US hockey super powers? Yet Sweden and the Czechs are?

arloiginla
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
You're seriously not considering Finland and the US hockey super powers? Yet Sweden and the Czechs are?

I'm going by general consensus, not my personal opinion. Finland and the U.S. have never won Olympic gold since NHL players have participated. Sweden and the Czechs have.

For example, check out the Hockey News' predictions.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Sweden

I don't think many people expected the USA to medal this time, and Finland has always been a dark horse.

Cowperson
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I thought Sweden would be the biggest hurdle for Canada.

Glad they're dead.

Finland could be a problem but the USA wouldn't get that lucky twice.

In an 82 game schedule or a seven game playoff series, the truth usually emerges.

In a one-shot deal, a hot goaltender or your own guy pulling the chute can often be the difference. The end result isn't necessarily the truth about who is actually better, maybe not even who was better on that one day.

But, if you can't handle MiG's, don't fly in MiG Alley. Lots of pressure.

Cowperson

Vinny01
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I have been calling Finland a dark horse to win it all from the get go. With the best goalie in the world and several good NHL players they are not a surpise for me. I pegged USA at #5 and expected Sweden and Russia to be there with Canada and Finland. I am not shocked the US is still alive but I am shocked that BOTH Sweden and Russia are out

Henry Fool
02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
[...]
In a one-shot deal, a hot goaltender or your own guy pulling the chute can often be the difference. The end result isn't necessarily the truth about who is actually better, maybe not even who was better on that one day.

But, if you can't handle MiG's, don't fly in MiG Alley. Lots of pressure.

Cowperson

While that's true, it's no different than any other Olympic event in that regard. Every other athlete has to be ready for that one big performance as well, and hockey players don't have any special status. When a highly-ranked athlete underperfoms in other events, few people talk about how it all would be different if it was a best of seven series instead.

All talk of who is "actually" better as opposed to who actually won is theoretical. It's taken for granted that being the best implies being able to perform one's best when it matters.

dissentowner
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
kausatoday (http://twitter.com/kausatoday)
Raise your hand if you predicted Slovakia, Finland, USA and Canada as your men hockey semfinalists...You are lying if your hand is raised.

I had 3 out of the four, exchange Russia with the U.S. and that is what I had.

yads
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm going by general consensus, not my personal opinion. Finland and the U.S. have never won Olympic gold since NHL players have participated. Sweden and the Czechs have.

For example, check out the Hockey News' predictions.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Sweden

I don't think many people expected the USA to medal this time, and Finland has always been a dark horse.
I don't think winning gold in one of 3 tournaments should be considered as the qualification to be a hockey power. By that logic, Russia is not a hockey super power. Finland has won more medals at olympic hockey than Canada since NHLers started participating.

arloiginla
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't think winning gold in one of 3 tournaments should be considered as the qualification to be a hockey power. By that logic, Russia is not a hockey super power. Finland has won more medals at olympic hockey than Canada since NHLers started participating.

Ok, forget about past Olympics. Let's see how many World Championships Finland has won recently. Then there's the World Cup of Hockey which they've never won either, though they came close.

I'm not dissing Finland and saying it's a huge shock they're in the final four. It's just that they weren't medal favourites coming into the tournament and the combination of them, Slovakia and the US being in the semis while Sweden, Russia and the Czechs are gone is not one the general consensus saw coming.

And Finland isn't great on paper either, it's not like they deserved to be talked about as gold medal favourites coming in. They have Kiprusoff but beyond that their roster isn't more impressive than Sweden or Russia on paper.

moon
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I think that Finland has shown that they are better than the Czechs so not surprised to see that they made it and the Czechs didn't.

Watching the world juniors the Czech team has been really weak for awhile now. Looking at their roster and you don't see a lot of young players and 0 young good players on their team.

The other teams are surprising for sure but when you look at the set up of the tournament it is that shocking.

Both teams have basically had one good game and a bunch of okay games.

Slovakia went to OT with Norway so it isn't like they have surprised everyone with their great play this tournament. They got lucky that their best game came at the same time that Sweden crapped the bed.

If the tournament was run Stanley Cup play-off style there is little chance that the US and Slovakia would be in the final four.

Resolute 14
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Hockey was never competitive at the Olympic games until the pros from all nations were finally allowed to play.

J epworth
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I thought it was going to be Sweden, Russia, Canada and Finland in the final four, so I guess I'm 50%. Slovakia is the biggest surprise, I thought their lack of depth would kill them.

kirant
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I thought it was going to be Sweden, Russia, Canada and Finland in the final four, so I guess I'm 50%. Slovakia is the biggest surprise, I thought their lack of depth would kill them.
I thought their lack of a true starter goalie (Halak is a 1A or a 1B IMO) would kill them.

This Olympics has been full of surprises though. I never thought Latvia would even compete.

red sky
02-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I will raise my hand because I guessed these four would be competing for the medals. I am awesome!

Actually I didn't but because this is the internet I can blatently lie and say foolish and immature things... boobs.

GirlySports
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
If the tournament was run Stanley Cup play-off style there is little chance that the US and Slovakia would be in the final four.

Hard to say.. don't we have silly teams in the final four of the Stanley Cup playoffs every year?

C_Rush
02-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Hard to say.. don't we have silly teams in the final four of the Stanley Cup playoffs every year?

Not unless the Canucks or Oilers make the final four every year...

Ducay
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
As has been said, I don't think Finland is as much of a surprise as the Slovaks are.....I never would have picked them to beat Sweden in a million years.

But thats just the Olympics, anything is possible with such a small sample size.

amorak
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
As has been said, I don't think Finland is as much of a surprise as the Slovaks are.....I never would have picked them to beat Sweden in a million years.

But thats just the Olympics, anything is possible with such a small sample size.

Megatron!

SebC
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
... you like thread titles that actually describe what the thread is about.

If a topic is good, it will be discussed on it's own merit rather than forcing people to open the thread just to find out what it's about.

moon
02-25-2010, 03:00 PM

I don't think there are silly teams in the final four, surprises but not crazy teams.

I also think that the gap in international teams is bigger than at the NHL level.