PDA

View Full Version : Dutch 4 man bobsled quits Oly's for fear of the track..

transplant99
02-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Holy smokes iswhat an odd decision, especially when they have been down the track before. I mean...why even show up in Vancouver if you were just going to quit?

“For me, it’s not about performing, it’s about surviving,” said Dutch pilot Edwin Van Calker. “Last year we had two brakemen in the hospital (after crashing on the track.)

“Some say it is a brave decision, some say scared. I have to look after my boys and can’t close my eyes to that.”

I’ve never seen someone get to a major event and not compete because they’re scared,” Netherlands coach Tom de La Hunty said. “You keep your inner fears to yourself and do it.

“In my view, he still could have driven the track and overcome his fear to do it.”

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/vancouver2010/news/2010/02/24/13015096-qmi.html

RedHot25
02-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Is that completely the case as to why though?

I saw this yesterday and it seems to suggest a variety of things
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/bobsleigh/news/newsid=51096.html

Edwin van Calker of the Netherlands said Wednesday he has withdrawn his team from the four-man bobsleigh competition at the Whistler Sliding Centre, citing "a lack of confidence."

His coach, Tom de la Hunty, said in a press release his driver made the decision because of "a build up of numerous factors, including his crash in two-man bobsleigh, the tragic accident in men's luge (Nodar Kumaritashvili's death in training) and external family pressures, all of which resulted in Edwin not having confidence in piloting.

icarus
02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I saw a live interview with the coach Tom de la Hunty on the BBC last night. He said that the driver and his brother were facing pressure from their family and wives following the death of the luger before the competition even started. After the crash in the two-man, his confidence was shot. The coach told him to sleep on it and walked the course with him in the morning, but the driver was still unconfident and decided to pull out.

The coach was obviously unhappy, saying that a lot of time and money has been invested in the past four years and that the track is safe and the most exciting in the world. The bobsleigh rules prevent anyone else from taking over as driver so the driver's decision left no choice for the rest of the team. Coach says they have to support their driver because obviously you can't make anyone go against their will but they are all very disappointed (and reading between the lines, angry).

GirlySports
02-25-2010, 08:13 AM
If they don't feel comfortable, then they shouldn't go. However, there will be a debate cause of coaching and funding issues. I'm sure sponsors and government have set up programs for them to perform and withdrawing is going to piss some off.

It's a tough one.

Boblobla
02-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I wonder if they are going to leave their panties behind or take them back home??

worth
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm not going to berate these guys because i've never been down the track before, it's easy to say these guys are wimps from my seat here. If they're not comfortable going down the track, then so be it as GirlySports says.

But honestly if they can't go down the track after at least 4 years of training, then maybe they're in the wrong sport.

The country has put money into these guys, they qualified and were expected to compete.

And if they don't feel comfortable going down the track, maybe their coach is partly to blame for not getting them comfortable. Maybe their family is partly to blame for not supporting them in their goals at the time they need the support the absolute most. Maybe their to blame themselves for not mentally preparing themselves adequately.

It would be tough to train for years and then pull out at the last second. He will regret this decision I bet later in life. Life is about chances, and yes, you have a family, but this is something you've worked long and hard for and to just give up, even though it is dangerous, seems like a cop out to me.

When the going get's tough...

Netskot
02-25-2010, 08:36 AM
are the Dutch team even in the running to medal? If so, this decision is odd. Otherwise, good on them. Why risk your lives on a dangerous track that they aren't good enough for?

transplant99
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
are the Dutch team even in the running to medal? If so, this decision is odd. Otherwise, good on them. Why risk your lives on a dangerous track that they aren't good enough for?

They are bobsledders, they have chosen a sport that is dangerous no matter where they race, though this one may be a bit faster than the rest, its still part of what they chose to do.

I think if the drivers confidence is shot, then yes he should not go...but my question is one that doesnt question the decision not to race in Vancouver, but deciding to be in a sport that involves speed/danger no matter where they are competing.

If I am part of the Dutch Bobsled federation...this guy is off the team for good. Way better ways for them to direct their resources I would think.

Bertuzzied
02-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Anyone who has doubts like this wouldn't be in the top 20.

burning_acid1
02-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm really surprised!

Cowperson
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
But . . . . . but . . . . . . we wanna see him crash!!!!

Yeah, probably not a sport you want to be doing if you're lacking confidence. It's not like a downhill ski race where you can bail half-way down.

In the early 1980's a Canadian Everest expedition met disaster with three team members killed early on and others walking off the mountain, leaving a diminished summit attempt that was ultimately successful. By coincidence, I came across one of the men who had walked away,m talking with him only days after the successful summit. He and the others who had left, experienced mountaneers all, had essentially lost their confidence and felt it wasn't their time to be on that particular mountain at that particular moment. And for those staying, it was better that they had left.

Cowperson

mykalberta
02-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Will wives ever quit nagging husbands - geez.

what was the team ranked, if they were ranked top 5 this is big news, other wise no news.

MJM
02-25-2010, 09:04 AM
If a guy doesn't want to go, that's fine, it is his choice. However, people have likeling been sponsoring this guy for the past 4 years. In my opinion (although it will never happen), they should be entitled to a complete reimbursement.

VladtheImpaler
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Will wives ever quit nagging husbands - geez.

what was the team ranked, if they were ranked top 5 this is big news, other wise no news.

I don't think the Dutch have ever won anything in sleds - they prefer their ice flat. :)

valo403
02-25-2010, 09:06 AM
If you don't have your mind focused in a sport like 4 man bobsled you're putting your life and the lives of your team at risk.

octothorp
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
The Dutch team is ranked 11th on the world cup circuit this year, with a top finish of 6th. So not one of the elite teams, but not an also-ran either.

Cactus Jack
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Did the dutch brownies finally get to these guys and make them so paranoid?

I understand people are concerned after the tragic passing of the Georgian luger but what, are the bobsleigh/luge/skeleton tracks in Innsbruck no longer used there because of the luger that died there in the 1976 Olympics?

This is the Olympics, the course should and is one of the most difficult in the world. If you didn't realize that, you're a moron, especially considering that these are very dangerous sports in any part of the world. These Dutch guys are complete morons.

mykalberta
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
The Dutch team is ranked 11th on the world cup circuit this year, with a top finish of 6th. So not one of the elite teams, but not an also-ran either.

If thats not an also-ran what is? Especially in a sport where only the top 3 matter.

I just cant believe the wives would get involved in this at all. You train for 4 years for a chance at one event and you quit because your wife puts doubts into your head. Words wouldnt be able to explain my anger and frustration with that.

AltaGuy
02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
The Jamaicans would've done it, crashes be damned! It's clearly not the green making this guy wimpy.

I need to throw in more stereotypes here somehow. Have the French forfeited the bobsleigh track to Germany?

I-Hate-Hulse
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Engage Maverick, Engage!!!

http://130.18.140.19/mmsoc/mavrick.jpg

worth
02-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Now look at these crazy f'ers:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Bobfahrer_Davos.jpg

Those are real men.

Komskies
02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Those guys take mustache ride to a whole new level.

Buzzard
02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Couldn't they have maybe said "ok lets save some face here", and go down half ass braking hard in the tricky spots. I mean compete, but barely. They do have brakes right? Bare in mind I obviously know nothing about bobsledding.

transplant99
02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
If thats not an also-ran what is? Especially in a sport where only the top 3 matter.

I just cant believe the wives would get involved in this at all. You train for 4 years for a chance at one event and you quit because your wife puts doubts into your head. Words wouldnt be able to explain my anger and frustration with that.

there are 30 WC sleds.

icarus
02-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Consider also that the Belgian team (forget whether 2- or 4-man) was selected on a reality TV show and they haven't pulled out...

Regorium
02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
If you go back to the luger death thread, many people were calling for lugers that were scared of the track to pull out.

Then when someone actually does, you all mock him? You guys are ridiculous.

FlamesAddiction
02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I would blame the BC bud, but you should be able to get that in Amsterdam.

Bobblehead
02-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Consider also that the Belgian team (forget whether 2- or 4-man) was selected on a reality TV show and they haven't pulled out...It was the womens 2 person. They finished 14th.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympicpulse/blogs/blog=thesledshed/postid=439550.html

browna
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
The other thing is, Chris Lorie, a former bobsledder, talked on CTV last night during the broadcast about some stats from a German track for a World Cup event last year where there were 18 crashes in qualifying (think it was for women).

So, although this is a technical track (it looks like one turn you have to watch...you get caught there and then the next 2 or 3 turns could get you toppled over), its no more "dangerous" for flips then a few of the WC circut tracks in Europe.

So some of this is needless track hype, but yeah, you have to be confident in your abilities or there's really no point in half assing it because then you're likely to crash.

Although, I would just think if you're at this an elite level in your sport, you're able to overcome this, your family would know the risks (not just in the Olympics, but when you do this week in and week out), and you wouldn't wilt.

mykalberta
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
there are 30 WC sleds.

I guess top 10 with a max finish of 6th means also ran to me, and something more important to others.

Had they won one event on the circuit, then yes they wold have a chance but their highest standing had been 6th. To me anyway this is a non story, except that someones spouse incorrectly decided to intervene where he/she shouldnt have.

gargamel
02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
If you go back to the luger death thread, many people were calling for lugers that were scared of the track to pull out.

Then when someone actually does, you all mock him? You guys are ridiculous.

There's a huge difference between a person quitting in an individual sport and a person quitting in a team sport where him quitting means the entire team is out. Plus I'm faily certain that a lot of the people who were saying lugers should pull out really just wanted that for the shame that it would bring on Vancouver.

octothorp
02-25-2010, 12:13 PM
There's a huge difference between a person quitting in an individual sport and a person quitting in a team sport where him quitting means the entire team is out. Plus I'm faily certain that a lot of the people who were saying lugers should pull out really just wanted that for the shame that it would bring on Vancouver.

Except this is a team sport where he's basically responsible for the lives of his teammates. If you've got a choice of disappointing your teammates or seriously injuring them, it's an easy choice. If he doesn't think he can get them down the hill safely, he shouldn't be taking their lives in his hands. He crashed last year at Whistler and put two guys in the hospital. He had a bad crash at Altenberg earlier this season (a very technical and difficult course that's often compared to Whistler). Lots of athletes are overmatched here, and he's one of the few who can admit it.

afc wimbledon
02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I would blame the BC bud, but you should be able to get that in Amsterdam.

And that should make it easier for your coach to talk you in to it, personally I think he was rattled when he realised that we don't put mayo on our fries.

FlamesAddiction
02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
And that should make it easier for your coach to talk you in to it, personally I think he was rattled when he realised that we don't put mayo on our fries.

Someone should tell him about Belgian Fries on Commercial then...:cool:

Sainters7
02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
What a p*ssy.

HOOT
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Pussies!

Resolute 14
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Couldn't they have maybe said "ok lets save some face here", and go down half ass braking hard in the tricky spots. I mean compete, but barely. They do have brakes right? Bare in mind I obviously know nothing about bobsledding.

According to the little feature they did on bobsled a couple days ago, they aren't allowed to pull the brakes until they are finished. Given the brake is just a steel grate that digs into the track, the entire thing would be wrecked by the third sled if they could.

afc wimbledon
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Someone should tell him about Belgian Fries on Commercial then...:cool:

Fries drenched with mayo and peanut butter ,Mmmmmmm. I'm having a homer moment

mikey_the_redneck
02-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Yup..............sounds like a vaginal injury to me...:whistle:

Bring_Back_Shantz
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Yeah, they have brakes, but they're for stopping at the end, not slowing down while you're running the course.
Aside from tearing up the course, which I'm sure would piss of every team that went after you, you have to bear in mind that the breakman is at the back of the sled, and can't see a thing, so if he were to try to brake half way down the course to slow down, he'd have no way of knowing when the corner was starting, and probably end up being the cause of an accident, instead of preventing one.

So yeah, bobsleds do have brakes, but they don't get used durring the run.

I actually ran as a brakeman for one of my friends while she was learing to drive, so it's not like I'm talking out my ass here either. Even with an inexperienced driver, you don't touch those brakes till you cross the finish line.