PDA

View Full Version : Joannie Rochette

calgarybornnraised
02-24-2010, 12:53 AM
unbeliveble(sp).Cant imagine performing or let a lone doing anything she just did...My hats off to you and your family.May the olympic gods bless you.

Reign of Fire
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
yeah its amazing for her to perform at that level considering the circumstances...hopefully she is rewarded for her effort on thursday

afc wimbledon
02-24-2010, 01:44 AM
If she takes bronze she should get to carry the flag, she pretty well embodies what we would like all athletes to be.

CGY12
02-24-2010, 01:47 AM
she will win gold

calgarybornnraised
02-24-2010, 02:18 AM
not gold or silver.Hopefully bronze

pylon
02-24-2010, 03:06 AM
NBC closed their broadcast day a clip of her. The announcer was in tears explaining how moving her performance was.

As much as I fail to recognize figure skating or any "judged" event as a true sport, I could not help but be moved by moved by her performace under the most difficult circumstances imaginable.

Tsawwassen
02-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Rochette is a champion no matter what place she comes in. May your mother RIP.

jschick88
02-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Count me in as a guy that was completely moved and teary-eyed after watching Joannie skate. She is a great inspiration for Canada. When times in your life are down, keep strong and go for your dream. Exactly what she did. Bravo Joannie, BRAVO.

Boblobla
02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
How did she rank after her skate? I saw the highlights but not the score.

fundmark19
02-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Its unfotunate korea put up crazy numbers and unless something happens to that skater at the beggingin of their program and can't finish I don't see canada being able to get the gold :(

Ducay
02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
NBC closed their broadcast day a clip of her. The announcer was in tears explaining how moving her performance was.

As much as I fail to recognize figure skating or any "judged" event as a true sport, I could not help but be moved by moved by her performace under the most difficult circumstances imaginable.

So Ski Jumping isn't a sport?

Snowboarding isn't a sport?

Aerials aren't a sport?

Oh and moguls arn't a sport either then.

Get off your high horse, figure skating at that level is far and above more demanding physically and mentally than hockey. (But lets not derail this thread any more).

Amazing performance by the girl, hell, even competing is quite an accomplishment.

transplant99
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
How did she rank after her skate? I saw the highlights but not the score.

3rd.

Its unfotunate korea put up crazy numbers and unless something happens to that skater at the beggingin of their program and can't finish I don't see canada being able to get the gold

this is about so much more than a medal or its color...this is about overcoming a devastating loss and sticking to her dreams of competing on her home soil in the Winter Olympics.

It was a remarkable performance considering the circumstances...i just dont know how one can do things like that. How she was able to clear her mind for even 3 minutes and be able to focus on what she was doing with the loss of her mother only 48 hours previous is stuff of legend IMO.

Whether or not she medals, she made her family and a country extremely proud with a performance like no one has had to deliver ever before.

GirlySports
02-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Its unfotunate korea put up crazy numbers and unless something happens to that skater at the beggingin of their program and can't finish I don't see canada being able to get the gold :(

That's not really important anymore.

Racki
02-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I have to admit I was pretty impressed with that "Favre-esque" performance. My hat is off to her for gutting it out like that.

Cowperson
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
NBC had Dan Jansen on just before Rochette skated, talking about his similar experience in Calgary when, as a favourite in men's 500 m speedskating, he found out his sister had died from a long illness just prior to the event. His mind was completely blown and he fell on the first turn and would later fall in another race. The story below:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-story-of-Dan-Jansen-s-tragic-crash-at-the-19?urn=oly,217218

Yes, no bobbles, no wobbles, amazingly clean. Rochette's face contorted just for a second before settling into her start postion. Then the training took over . . . .

An amazing moment that will help define these Olympics.

Cowperson

Bertuzzied
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
What a moving performance. That was inspirational.

Unfortunately no one is going to catch Queen Yu Na, however 2nd place is a real possibility.

old-fart
02-24-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't care if she wins a medal - she's a champion to me. Skating like that, hell even getting out there on the ice with a heart that heavy, makes her a true champion.

Way to go Joannie, you make us all proud.

CaptainCrunch
02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I consider myself to be a pretty tough guy Alpha male type. But I had a tear or two watching her skate and watching her reaction at the end.

I don't even watch figure skating but figured that this was one I should watch.

fundmark19
02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
I wasn't trying to put her down. It was an amazing skate and she is definitly a champion. It would just cap everything off for her and her family if she had a shot at gold! I think seeing that she was able to get through her first skate, she will take that confidence into her next and get a bronze or silver. She skated perfectly putting up a personal best! And I bet she puts up another one on Thursday

Shazam
02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
All top three performances were unbelievable.

Good on her.

redforever
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM

I hope you don't consider hockey a "true" sport then. One could argue that hockey is a judged sport. The officials on the ice are "judging" what is or is not onside, what is or is not a penalty.....and many times they get it wrong just as badly as Olympic judges do.

Smell My Finger
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Rochette showed tremendous courage and character. A defining moment for the Olympics.

Lil Pedro
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Her performance was simply amazing. I am not a figure skating fan by any means, but man was I impressed by the way she went out their and performed. Very glad she is a Canadian, and I hope she wins gold for her Mother, and Canada

JustAnotherGuy
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Please. Guys. Show some respect. This is not a thread to take off topic. Thanks.

I was teary eyed as well when I watched her. Amazing. My mother passed away 10 years ago. To think that she skated at that level two days later is incredible. I mean, I barely had the strength to function.

Schmidtyboosh
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope you don't consider hockey a "true" sport then. One could argue that hockey is a judged sport. The officials on the ice are "judging" what is or is not onside, what is or is not a penalty.....and many times they get it wrong just as badly as Olympic judges do.

You know what......SHUDDUP!

Sylvanfan
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Great performance by her. Sometimes something like this will just make the athlete focus on how much he/she enjoys the sport they participate in and it could help take the pressure of the Olympics off and allow them to put in a great performance as going out and skating is an escape from everything else involved with the situation especially since a couple of days have ellapsed.

I remember the Dan Jansen thing to an extent. I remember everyone felt terrible for him. That would be brutally tough to have to compete that day, at least for me. After that it's tough to keep goign. When my father passed away my mind was all over for the first day and a half. After that I could somewhat focus on something for a short period of time.

Hopefully she has another good performance in the long program, it would make for a great story.

The Yen Man
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Nothing but props to her. I got pretty teary eyed last night watching her performance and then watching her and her dad's reaction after the skate. It doesn't matter if she gets a medal or not, she made us all proud.

Hemi-Cuda
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Please. Guys. Show some respect. This is not a thread to take off topic. Thanks.

I was teary eyed as well when I watched her. Amazing. My mother passed away 10 years ago. To think that she skated at that level two days later is incredible. I mean, I barely had the strength to function.

yep, when my mom died in 2001 i was a wreck for weeks. to put on that kind of performance only a couple of days after receiving the news is some kind of special

Puppet Guy
02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
if they awarded medals for inner strength, there wouldn't be enough gold to make Joannie's medal.

403ep3
02-24-2010, 05:22 PM

I haven't gone through anything like this yet and dread the day when I have to. I, too, was a bit teary eyed and really felt for her. I hope she wins a medal. If not, Canada still has her back!

jschick88
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I hope tonight is something magical for Joannie. All of Canada is pulling for you Joannie, win or lose you have shown what a great inspiration you are.

Coach
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope tonight is something magical for Joannie. All of Canada is pulling for you Joannie, win or lose you have shown what a great inspiration you are.

what time is her skate on?

jayswin
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Is there anywhere we can watch her performance?

jschick88
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I think she skates in the last flyte of skaters. I cant find anywhere that says what time she skates. I would guess anywhere from 9 to 10?

jayswin
02-25-2010, 06:04 PM
I think she skates in the last flyte of skaters. I cant find anywhere that says what time she skates. I would guess anywhere from 9 to 10?

I meant her emotional skate that she's already done.

Chump
02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
I meant her emotional skate that she's already done.

If you have shaw digital cable they have it for free on video on demand.

jayswin
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Wow, sweet! Thanks.

Resolute 14
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Just flashed on CTV that she is skating around 9:30.

calgARI
02-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Just flashed on CTV that she is skating around 9:30.

Mountain time?

Resolute 14
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes

jayswin
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Do you know what I should click on....

They have

W short figure skate
ice dancing - original dance
ice dance - free dance
ice dace - compulsory

chummer
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
nm

Peanut
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Do you know what I should click on....

They have

W short figure skate
ice dancing - original dance
ice dance - free dance
ice dace - compulsory

W short

jayswin
02-25-2010, 08:33 PM
W short

Thanks, do you know how far in it is? It seems to be pretty long.

EDIT: It looks like there's no sound on the Shaw version. I guess that would pretty much take all the emotion out of it, which is the only reason I wanted to watch it.

Peanut
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I know it was on ctv's website... that's where I watched it Monday night. Check there. I will also go look for a link.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=84b95b91-661b-4e01-bc1e-b30f180a8e3f

Akai-Sesui
02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Here she comes up...come on Joannie, kick some ass!

Mtt48
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Rock this Rochette!!

CokeMachineGlow
02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I want Rochette to win a bronze more than I wanted the women to win gold. I hope this lady trips lol

chalms04
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Closing flag bearer, no doubt.

Acey
Bronze. Amazing woman.

sureLoss
Bronze!

Akai-Sesui
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm awfully proud to be Canadian after seeing a performance like Joannie's. Good performance by the American skater, not quite good enough. Another medal for Canada!

Jesse834
02-25-2010, 09:57 PM
The best story of the Olympics by far. What a courageous young lady you are. My heart goes out to you.

Regulator75
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow....

Joborule
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Great performance from her. This stuff is legendary.

pope04
02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Gutsy, gutsy performance. One for the ages. Congratulations to you, young lady.

OILFAN #81
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Easily the story of the Olympics. Heart of a champion and one of Canada's best performances ever. She made Canada and more importantly her family proud. Congrats Joannie!

calgarybornnraised
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
wow...thank you joannie for all us girls who lost their moms young and unexpextedly.

kirant
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Insperational performance. I think THIS will be one of the major stories out of the Olympics.

YourCalgaryFlames!!!!
02-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Unbelievable, she totally deserved it

jschick88
02-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Rochette's performance is something you tell your kids down the road. Just amazing to witness such an unbelievable event. Just wow.

jschick88
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Joannie's Facebook fan Page.

http://www.facebook.com/JoannieRochette?ref=ts

SOMBRI2
02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
who can have a more motivated story than Rochette's?.....

very well done!

Jiggy_12
02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
That was awesome to watch.

MRCboicgy
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
You know, she's tougher than a lot of us. A true champion.
Not to trivialize her tragedy or anything, but I miss work when my cat is sick...and she goes and does that this week. I think I need to not be such a wuss.

Here's her interview

kn
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
One for the ages... I'm glad I was here to see it.

Smell My Finger
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
the highest respect for Joannie Rochettes emotional strength. Nothing short of amazing. Her family must be so proud of her. All of Canada is.:yay:

3 Justin 3
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
How did she do, I was at work and missed it. :(

West Karma
02-25-2010, 11:36 PM
nm

3 Justin 3
02-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Yes!!

spitoon
02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm glad it wasn't just me that was a little teary-eyed when watching her short program :)

I don't really care much for figure skating, but I do respect the amount of work put in by these athletes. For her to do what she did under those circumstances is absolutely amazing and I couldn't be prouder to be a Canadian at that moment.

Highest respect for Ms. Rochette and condolences to her and her family.

conroy22
02-26-2010, 12:42 AM
From the past 15 years of my skating career, and watching competitions on tv, I have never been taught a lesson like she has taught me. When I was in high school, my mother picked me up at lunch one day so I could get ready for a competition later that night, but when I got in her car she told me that my grandfather had passed away that morning. I struggled fighting back tears the rest of the day, but when I got on the ice and started my program, the only thing I was thinking about was skating well for him, and I did.

I knew what she was going through the past few days, just not to the extend that it was my mother that had passed away. I can't even imagine what that would be like. For figure skaters, especially little girls, their moms are everything to them. From getting them up for practice at 5am, getting costumes, having daughters or families move away, making huge sacrifices that many people would not believe figure skaters have to go through, and making sure everything is always just right. My dad never really supported me and my sister in skating, it was always my mom who did everything. It is just heartbreaking to imagine having to go through loosing a mother on the eve of the most important competition in her life, their family devoted their whole lives for those four minutes she was out on the ice.

Simply having the courage to step out onto that ice surface with the world watching her, and laying down such a perfect, emotional performance, was simply breathtaking. I am so proud to be a Canadian figure skater right now. She has inspired so many little girls out there, as well as an entire nation. Her mother watched her live her dreams as tears poured down my face, knowing that she skated so beautifully for her mother.

You are the pride and joy of Canadian women's figure skating, and you have brought the world to their feet. Congratulations Joannie, you deserve it!

TheyCallMeBruce
02-26-2010, 01:16 AM
From the past 15 years of my skating career, and watching competitions on tv, I have never been taught a lesson like she has taught me. When I was in high school, my mother picked me up at lunch one day so I could get ready for a competition later that night, but when I got in her car she told me that my grandfather had passed away that morning. I struggled fighting back tears the rest of the day, but when I got on the ice and started my program, the only thing I was thinking about was skating well for him, and I did.

I knew what she was going through the past few days, just not to the extend that it was my mother that had passed away. I can't even imagine what that would be like. For figure skaters, especially little girls, their moms are everything to them. From getting them up for practice at 5am, getting costumes, having daughters or families move away, making huge sacrifices that many people would not believe figure skaters have to go through, and making sure everything is always just right. My dad never really supported me and my sister in skating, it was always my mom who did everything. It is just heartbreaking to imagine having to go through loosing a mother on the eve of the most important competition in her life, their family devoted their whole lives for those four minutes she was out on the ice.

Simply having the courage to step out onto that ice surface with the world watching her, and laying down such a perfect, emotional performance, was simply breathtaking. I am so proud to be a Canadian figure skater right now. She has inspired so many little girls out there, as well as an entire nation. Her mother watched her live her dreams as tears poured down my face, knowing that she skated so beautifully for her mother.

You are the pride and joy of Canadian women's figure skating, and you have brought the world to their feet. Congratulations Joannie, you deserve it!

That is really cool. Thanks for giving us the perspective of a figure skater. Out of curiosity, do you hope to skate for Canada one day?

Bertuzzied
02-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Amazing performance. So memorable.

Tsawwassen
02-26-2010, 03:28 AM
The brightest bronze medal of these games. Joannie, you are simply the best. You are an inspiration for all of Canada.

jschick88
02-26-2010, 07:45 AM
After watching that last night and putting it into perspective, powerful powerful stuff.

V
02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Truly inspirational stuff, that's for sure. I detract my statement that Bilodeau is the easy favourite to carry the flag at the Closing Ceremonies.

To be completely objective, though, by my completely ignorant and untrained eye, it looked to me like the American got jobbed. I wouldn't mind getting an opinion on that from one of the people on this board that actually know a thing or two about this sport.

Netskot
02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Does she have any other family there supporting her? Don't tell me she was there by herself. That would be unbeareble.

jschick88
02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Does she have any other family there supporting her? Don't tell me she was there by herself. That would be unbeareble.

Read this story. She had her dad and bf to support her.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news;_ylt=AgqjmhXolS8wKz3mXtR9nEJShgM6?slug=capres s-oly_fig_rdp-2470078&prov=capress&type=lgns

I_H8_Crawford
02-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Her dad was there, dont know about anyone else.

conroy22
02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Her father was there, and they also flew in a few friends and family members from the Montreal/Quebec area. However, she also had/has the whole Canadian team, who are a very tight knit group of people, who have known eachother for so long, who are a great support system for her, and who she probably wants to be with at this time. Also her coaching team, Manon Parron, who has coached her since she was little, and the rest of the SkateCanada executive team who is there has been providig her with psychologists, along with the one she has had for years. She has been in contact everyday with the woman whose boyfriend committed suicide (I can't remember her name off hand, or what year/olympics it was) whom has been helping guide her through the process.

conroy22
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
That is really cool. Thanks for giving us the perspective of a figure skater. Out of curiosity, do you hope to skate for Canada one day?

No I never made it to that level. I always wanted to, but with my sister and I both skating, it would have been impossible to afford, and I never had the natural talent it would have taken to make it up to the national level, so I just competed in more of the 'recreation' side of skatig!

transplant99
02-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Truly inspirational stuff, that's for sure. I detract my statement that Bilodeau is the easy favourite to carry the flag at the Closing Ceremonies.

To be completely objective, though, by my completely ignorant and untrained eye, it looked to me like the American got jobbed. I wouldn't mind getting an opinion on that from one of the people on this board that actually know a thing or two about this sport.

Both the American skaters, though they went clean for the most part, simply did not have the same elements as the other girls ahead of them. usually in skating that comes with experience and years of coaching.

The Korean was lights out with both footwork and jumps as well as the choreography. The Japanese girl was the one i believed scored a little higher than she deserved. That figure skating though...you never know what the judges see.

Bertuzzied
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
The Korean was lights out with both footwork and jumps as well as the choreography. The Japanese girl was the one i believed scored a little higher than she deserved. That figure skating though...you never know what the judges see.

Are you talking about the japanese girl who did the 2 triple axels in competition?? Most men can't do 2 triple axels.

transplant99
02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Are you talking about the japanese girl who did the 2 triple axels in competition?? Most men can't do 2 triple axels.

yes....she did 2 triples and did them well, but she missed an entire pass as well. And yes, men routinely do triples all the time, if they dont they arent at the Olympics.

Skating is about a whole lot more than just the jumps, which is why Plyshenko's hissy fit over the last week is so ridiculous.

Lil Pedro
02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Im really happy for her. Congrats Joannie, you embody all that the Olympic games stand for. You have made Canada proud!

chalms04
02-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Co-winner of the Terry Fox award

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/vancouver-2010-terry-fox-award_295826zU.html

Smell My Finger
02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Rochette went well above and beyond representing Canada.:nod: What an inspiration for all ages.

http://gi273.photobucket.com/groups/jj203/5GC0ICI94X/JoannieRochette.jpg

Resolute 14
02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
She will carry the flag in the closing ceremonies.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=54368.html#joannie+rochette+will+carry+cana dian+flag

Cowperson
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
With all due respect to the awesomeness of the Norwegian "porn" comment, I think the below is the best quote of the Olympics, coming from Joannie Rochette after things had settled down, observing about her mother:

" . . . . . even though she is not here any more, I'm not afraid to say it, sometimes she was a pain in the ass."

Cowperson

OILFAN #81
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
She put the medal in her mom's coffin today at the funeral. Wow.

EDIT: She put the medal ON, not in the coffin. My apologies. Still a very touching moment.

Kjesse
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
She put the medal in her mom's coffin today at the funeral. Wow.

That's quite a thing to do. I'm sure it gave her a fair amount of emotional release. But when you think that she went on to skate because her mother would have wanted her to, her mother also would have wanted the medal to be seen by her (future) grandchildren.

Makes for quite the family legend though.

Tyler
03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I bet the COC/VANOC will give her another one after this story gets blown up in the media.

Bobblehead
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
She didn't put it in the casket, she put it ON the casket during the service (at least that is what every story I read has said).

Still a touching gesture.

OILFAN #81
03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
She didn't put it in the casket, she put it ON the casket during the service (at least that is what every story I read has said).

Still a touching gesture.

Oh really? My apologies.

Touching none the less.

Bobblehead
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh really? My apologies.

Touching none the less.
\No problem, I wasn't going to mention anything but rather than let people get the wrong impression I figured perhaps I should say something.

During the mass, Rochette placed her hard-won medal from the Vancouver 2010 Olympics on her mother’s casket. http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/2010wintergames/Funeral+remembers+Joannie+Rochette+mother/2642083/story.html

chalms04
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
yep, more onions

OILFAN #81
03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
\No problem, I wasn't going to mention anything but rather than let people get the wrong impression I figured perhaps I should say something.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/2010wintergames/Funeral+remembers+Joannie+Rochette+mother/2642083/story.html

I'm glad you did mention it. I honestly read it in the main forum and posted it in here. You can probably link that article on the main forum too to the thread that was created by that poster.

jschick88
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I was under the assumption that she left her medal with her mom. Either way, just such a great story of courage and determination.

SebC
03-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Probably not a good idea to leave it in the casket... you don't want to give looters a reason to dig up your Mom.