PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Facing Russia?

Mathgod
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Well, how do you see this playing out?

Personally, I'm not afraid of them at all. In fact they aren't Canada's biggest obstacle to gold - Sweden/USA are.

They are absolutely horrible defensively - I wouldn't be surprised if we put the same 8-spot up against them. It's just a matter of our D and Luongo limiting the damage from the Russian big guns.

Agree? Disagree?

amorak
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Need Chemistry. Need Perry to die.

If we get these two, we win.

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I may be confused, but I seem to recall that their defense hasn't been a problem at all, but on the other hand their offense hasn't really taken off.

Anyway, you can never tell in advance how these tournament games will go.

jschick88
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Richards and Morrows will be key in shutting down Ovechkin/Malkin.

HOOT
02-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't give up the first goal, don't give up a goal shortly after getting the first one. If Canada can do this they will win, if Russia scores first it is good-night Canada let the riots on Robson start!

OILFAN #81
02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
We aren't going to score 8 on Russia. The Sharks put in their backup tonight. Tomorrow night it's their starter.

I say 4-3 Canada. Heatley with the winner.

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Don't give up the first goal, don't give up a goal shortly after getting the first one. If Canada can do this they will win, if Russia scores first it is good-night Canada let the riots on Robson start!

That's a good point. It's a little different for Canada, but from a Finnish viewpoint it's always been important to keep the Russians from scoring early in the game. They often fall apart and start to play as individuals if you frustrate them long enough.

Problem is, Canada's defense hasn't been as disciplined as they usually are.

Mathgod
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I may be confused, but I seem to recall that their defense hasn't been a problem at all, but on the other hand their offense hasn't really taken off.

Anyway, you can never tell in advance how these tournament games will go.
Yeah the goals against would tell you that they are just fine defensively. But while watching their games I just got the sense that they aren't exactly masters of defending their own zone. They aren't strong, they aren't authoritative, and their defensive zone coverage is a little hit and miss.

Canada will tear them apart and score at least 4 or 5, barring a Miller-type performance from Nabby/Bryz. It's just a matter of whether Pronger gets his * together and our boys find a way to shut down Russia's 2 top lines. IMO

Sylvanfan
02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Depends on which Nabokov shows up. Some days he can be pretty mediocre, on others he can be lights out. If the mediocre one shows up Canada can win a game 5-4 and be outshot badly. If the good one shows up Canada can outshoot them 50-20 and lose 3-2.

GirlySports
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Forecheck hard and pound Grebeshkov

FlamingInfinity
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Need Chemistry. Need Perry to die.

If we get these two, we win.

Perry needs to play with an edge. Him and Getzlaf haven't found the game they've had this year in Anaheim. Until then, they'll continue to flounder.

02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah the goals against would tell you that they are just fine defensively. But while watching their games I just got the sense that they aren't exactly masters of defending their own zone. They aren't strong, they aren't authoritative, and their defensive zone coverage is a little hit and miss.

Canada will tear them apart and score at least 4 or 5, barring a Miller-type performance from Nabby/Bryz. It's just a matter of whether Pronger gets his * together and our boys find a way to shut down Russia's 2 top lines. IMO

If the whole team Canada thinks like you, we will be finished after tomorrow

Mathgod
02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Perry needs to play with an edge. Him and Getzlaf haven't found the game they've had this year in Anaheim. Until then, they'll continue to flounder.
In Anaheim they can go about their business quietly. Here, they're in a fishbowl.

I think it's just a matter of not dealing with the pressure with those 2.

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM

I was basing my opionion on what I've seen from them, not on stats or scores - I have no clue about those - but admittedly I was just barely paying attention. What I remember from them against the Czechs, they played pretty good defense. I'd say their defense has been as good as Canada's so far.

Mathgod
02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I was basing my opionion on what I've seen from them, not on stats or scores - I have no clue about those - but admittedly I was just barely paying attention. What I remember from them against the Czechs, they played pretty good defense. I'd say their defense has been as good as Canada's so far.
24 hours from now - we'll know for sure!! :)

calgARI
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Canada will win - they are the far better team top-to-bottom.

Fairweather
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Canada will win - they are the far better team top-to-bottom.
I think I heard this too before the USA game :bag:

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
24 hours from now - we'll know for sure!! :)

Past games don't always tell much in these tournaments. Going into it, Canada stands about as good a chance to get torn apart as Russia.

I do think Canada will win, but don't get carried away. Canada hasn't been that great yet.

V
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Get decent goaltending and stay out of the box and this is ours. I'm more worried about Sweden, to be honest.

calgARI
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I think I heard this too before the USA game :bag:

Comparing a round-robin game with an elimination game is like apples and oranges. Furthermore, Canada wins the game against the US 9 times out of 10 given how thoroughly they dominated.

Beyond any of that, the experience of that game for Canada will go a long way ensuring it does not happen again similar to what we saw in 2002 after the loss to Sweden.

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Get decent goaltending and stay out of the box and this is ours. I'm more worried about Sweden, to be honest.

I don't think Sweden's game will work against Canada at all. Too much strength and energy for them to be able to contain the home team. No way. You need an active game against Canada, and Sweden has had the most passive plan I've seen so far.

TopChed
02-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Heard that Zinoviev guy is injured for Russia, part of their all-KHL line that has been ripping it up. Maybe not a huge deal, but apparently they have only 3 natural centres left, so they'll have to double shift.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=49706.html

GenericCheesecake
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
To be brutally honest, I'm downright terrified of Russia. Way too much potential offense and talent from that team and way too many things that must absolutely, positively come together for Canada to win.

The chance just doesn't look as good, and I want to be positive. I am hoping that Russia's bottom-six and defense aren't as good as I'm hoping they're not, I'm hoping Canada's defense can pull it together and shut down Russia's offense, I'm hoping Crosby and Iggy can go out and score some more, and damn it, I'm hoping somebody does to Ovechkin and as many of their others forwards what he did to Jagr.

I want it all to happen, but I just can't see it right now.

Please prove me wrong, because I don't want Canada to lose :whaa:

Dorky Pigs
02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I think Russia will win. It was the team I selected from the start to win gold. I hope I'm wrong... I'd rather have Canada have a shot at a medal.

Fairweather
02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Comparing a round-robin game with an elimination game is like apples and oranges. Furthermore, Canada wins the game against the US 9 times out of 10 given how thoroughly they dominated.

Beyond any of that, the experience of that game for Canada will go a long way ensuring it does not happen again similar to what we saw in 2002 after the loss to Sweden.
I truly hope you're 100% right here. I don't think my heart can take much more ;)

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Someone should take Ovechkin out ;)

Dorky Pigs
02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Someone should take Ovechkin out ;)

Like how? With a gun? An erasure? Perhaps a deal with the Russian mafia?:confused:

mikephoen
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Like how? With a gun? An erasure? Perhaps a deal with the Russian mafia?:confused:

Maybe he meant out for some beers.

HOOT
02-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Lasers

Fairweather
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads

valo403
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM

http://images.tmcnet.com/tmc/misc/article-images/Image/bobby%20clarke.jpg

moon
02-23-2010, 11:06 PM

Based on his past he should take himself out of the game since it is an important game.

No need for the Canadians to do anything but show up.

Huntingwhale
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the key lies with Roberto Luongo. The Russians ARE going to get there chances, make no mistake. This is Luongo's defining moment IMO. If he pulls off the win in superstar fashion and leads us to glory, he will silence those critics who think he is not elite. IF he loses it for us...then l guess the critics are right (for now...) that he is a big game choker.

I hate him as much as the next Flames fan, but tomorrow l am his #1 fan. If we win this game, we have taken out arguably the hardest opponent in the tournament and it gives me hope for GOLD!!!

Hammertime
02-23-2010, 11:14 PM
It's gonna be a battle between Luongo and Nabokov.. the goalie is going to be the difference tomorrow as both teams are going to have great chances all night.

I wish Miller was Canadian, by far the best goalie in the tourney.

kirant
02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Canada needs to convert their chances and control Russia's offensive bursts. If that holds, Canada should win.

getbak
02-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes. This would throw him off his game.

eSMeUPFjQHc

3 Justin 3
02-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Luongo > Nabokov IMO.

Malkin isn't that hard to contain, we did it in the World Juniors, I am sure our guys can do it easily.

Ovechkin will be the biggest threat, and if we contain him, Russia is done.

chalms04
02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Maybe he meant out for some beers.
Or for some BC bud so they fail doping.

chalms04
02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Malkin isn't that hard to contain, we did it in the World Juniors, I am sure our guys can do it easily.

And then Kovalchuk swoops in

Winsor_Pilates
02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not afraid of the Russians.
I think Canada on their game > Russia on their game, so it's in our hands.
I expect a win, and if we lose it will because our players didn't show up like they should

Dorky Pigs
02-23-2010, 11:38 PM
To be brutally honest, I'm downright terrified of Russia. Way too much potential offense and talent from that team and way too many things that must absolutely, positively come together for Canada to win.

The chance just doesn't look as good, and I want to be positive. I am hoping that Russia's bottom-six and defense aren't as good as I'm hoping they're not, I'm hoping Canada's defense can pull it together and shut down Russia's offense, I'm hoping Crosby and Iggy can go out and score some more, and damn it, I'm hoping somebody does to Ovechkin and as many of their others forwards what he did to Jagr.

I want it all to happen, but I just can't see it right now.

Please prove me wrong, because I don't want Canada to lose :whaa:

Like you, I don't want to be a Gloomy Gus, but this game scares me stiff.

Folks, don't underestimate the Russian offence vs. our defence. I think we're very vulnerable there. Probably there's a vice versa scenario there too.

I do believe this extra game might have been a blessing in disguise, however, in terms of developing a team rhythm. We shall see. I'd say it's 50/50 although I appreciate the confidence being expressed here. I hope it's not blind nationalistic fervor.

SOMBRI2
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
it's gonna be a gm-7 like playoff. funny thing is you wont have the 'first 6 gms' to figure out the matchups. the first period is really important, canada will come out flying to establish forecheck, they must continue to pour shots on goal. i still believe russian's d is not that good. but with the likes of malkin, ovy etc, their transition game will be key for success. of course, limit russians' pp chance is important. i look forward to a all-4-line-show-up from canada to win this game.

moon
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Luongo > Nabokov IMO.

Canada took Ovechkin right out of the World Juniors.

If we are using that as the reference point than Ovechkin should be much easier to contain than Malkin.

moon
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Like you, I don't want to be a Gloomy Gus, but this game scares me stiff.

Folks, don't underestimate the Russian offence vs. our defence. I think we're very vulnerable there. Probably there's a vice versa scenario there too.

Probably?

The Canadian offense is at worst as good as the Russians and the defense is much better.

The Russians certainly have a chance to win and cause problems but looking at the offense versus defense match-up it is the Russians and their terrible defense that should be worried.

flip
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm afraid of the Russians because no lead against them is safe and they have many quick strike weapons. (The blown lead in the 3rd period of the WHC final last year or the year before)

I'm not afraid of the Russians because they have no defense and we have much better team defense and goaltending.

CGY12
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Canada D >>> Russia D = Canada WIN

We might not be able to shut them down completely but they will have a much harder time shutting us down because their D is pretty soft and way weaker than ours.

I'm also looking forward to drinking my face off and being as loud as I possibly can at Canada Hockey place tomorrow.

HOOT
02-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Ernhoff thinks that Russia will win.

CGY12
02-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Erhoff is a little biAtch

Tsawwassen
02-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Lots of goals should be scored, flip a coin as it will be a 6-5 result in the SO.

dissentowner
02-24-2010, 05:27 AM

I'm not because Slovakia is going to knock them off.

Machiavelli
02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Can't believe one of these teams isn't going to get a medal....not even in the semis. Wow.

omelete
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
My biggest concern is over how well Canada will be able to play in their own zone. So far in the tournament they've been very good at keeping the other team from gaining the defensive zone with the puck, but once the opposition gets possession in our end they've looked terrible. And we haven't played a team with anything close to the offensive firepower of the Russians.

Hopefully they'll get things together and be able to minimize the damage. I think if Canada can get up early and/or keep the Russians off the board well into the second period we'll be fine.

And for the love of god, please staple Pronger's ass to the bench. If he gets caught out there against either of the Russian's top two lines it's game over.

AltaGuy
02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
I think we'll likely spend the majority of the game in the Russians' zone on the cycle, and we'll probably outshoot them by a wide margin.

But that Russian team is almost guaranteed to get a few fast breaks, and so in the end I do expect that it will come down to the goalies.

Pastiche
02-24-2010, 07:28 AM
The key is trying to get Russia to play like a bunch of individuals and not a team. I don't know if our defence is up for that task though. It isn't solely dependent on the defence but they are the last line to stymie efforts. Forwards are going to be crucial. This is where Brendan Morrow and Mike Richards will have to punch their ticket.

Huge game. Could go either way. Very excited. Very nervous.

Netskot
02-24-2010, 08:37 AM
i fail to see how Canada wins this game.

transplant99
02-24-2010, 08:40 AM
i fail to see how Canada wins this game.

Score more goals than Russia.

Netskot
02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Score more goals than Russia.

don't see it happening.

transplant99
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
don't see it happening.

Canada has been the most proficient offensive team in the entire tournament, so I can see where it happens.

Netskot
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
against Latvia and Norway

CaptainCrunch
02-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm an idiot who mis-read the schedule, I skipped the gym last night to watch the Caanda Germany game. Now I have to watch at least the first period on those tiny T.V.'s mounted on the cardio equipment.

Stupid me.

tripin_billie
02-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Quite the accomplishment, scoring so many goals that they award us goals against a team that we didn't even play. I'm impressed.

Really, I am nervous about the game, but optimistic. It is odd, my heart says be prepared to be broken, but my brain says, depth, Russia lost as well, and look at their d, honestly, really!

transplant99
02-24-2010, 09:12 AM

No...Canada never played Latvia.

beyond that, every team in this tournament has faced weaker teams...so what is your point?

old-fart
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
If this game goes to a shoot out, Canada loses. We need to win this in regulation, and to do that we need to score first, and score often. If we let the Ruskies get a couple goal lead, we're done. Babcock will start shuffling lines around and randomly playing players. He'll put Perry out there to take penalties and allow empty net goals. He'll not take time outs at the right time. He'll move Iginla to the fourth line and give him 20 seconds of ice time, despite the fact he's the leading goal scorer.

We can't let Babcock screw this up, which means we need to play with the lead.

Galakanokis
02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I think Canada really has to up their physical play, especially in the defensive zone. So far Canada's D has been its weakest point and the Russian can definitely take advantage of that.

Big games out of Weber and Keith will really help as well. Limited play for Boyle and pronger would make me happy as well.

Hustle
02-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Obviously the PK and Luongo are going to be important tonight.

I still think the key to beating the Russians is getting in on the forecheck hard preventing the d-men to move the puck efficiently. The big asset of the Russians (other than their skill) is their speed and ability to create off the rush IMO. You need to contain their speed and time in the neutral zone. If you can get on the Russian D before they can move the puck, you should be able to neutralize their attack. Furthermore, I think you'll be able to get the dmen to turnover the puck leading to offensive chances.

Containing the Russians speed is the challenge here IMO. If we can do that, we'll win.

Sylvanfan
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Something to watch is that the Canadian defence is pretty much Western Conference players with Niedermayer, Weber, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, and Boyle. Even Pronger before this year had been a Western Conference guy, although Boyle did play out East prior to last year. Point being that a lot of these guys don't match up against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Malkin very often. A guy like Niedermayer has played Kovalchuk pre lockout but since the lockout maybe played against those guys 3 or 4 times.

transplant99
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Something to watch is that the Canadian defence is pretty much Western Conference players with Niedermayer, Weber, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, and Boyle. Even Pronger before this year had been a Western Conference guy, although Boyle did play out East prior to last year. Point being that a lot of these guys don't match up against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Malkin very often. A guy like Niedermayer has played Kovalchuk pre lockout but since the lockout maybe played against those guys 3 or 4 times.

In fact as far as skaters go, there are only 5 EC if i am counting correctly..

Bergeron, Pronger, Richards, Staal and Crosby.

Eubee
02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Containing Kovalchuk will be the key. If Canada loses it will be because he kills us.

megatron
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
In fact as far as skaters go, there are only 5 EC if i am counting correctly..

Bergeron, Pronger, Richards, Staal and Crosby.

That's actually pretty surprising considering the high offensive teams in the east, or maybe I haven't been paying attention to SJ and Chi.

Anyways, as I posted in the GDT, I think Canada will take it 4-3. They will have to come out firing on all cylinders and play with the lead or "Mad Mike" Babcock could screw around with the lines and destroy everything.

Sylvanfan
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Half the skaters on Canada play for Anaheim, San Jose, or Chicago as those teams have 3, 4, & 3 skaters.

Conversely there are 5 Russians who play in the Western Conference and two of them are goaltenders. Datsyuk, Grebeshkov, and Tyutin are the only skaters who play in the West.

So the players on both sides have a lot of guys on the other team they haven't played against a whole lot previously.

the_professsor
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Canada needs to play a physical game, I haven't seen many hits other than Morrow, Richards and Weber. Guys like Marleau, Nash, Getzlaf have to start crushing some russians, that'll slow them down and throw them off their game

Henry Fool
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Containing Kovalchuk will be the key. If Canada loses it will be because he kills us.

Kovalchuk will almost certainly be a no-show. Ovechkin is the key for them. He hasn't exactly been on fire yet.

Anyway, if goaltending holds, Canada is the clear favourite. Best of luck.

AltaGuy
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I think Canada has to do a great job blocking passing lanes. I'm pretty confident in Big 'Ole Bingo Bango's ability to shut the door against Russia's shooters if given the ability to challenge them and square up.

The Russians won't be looking for garbage, and won't be crashing the crease, so blocking the passing lanes and letting Luongo square up is the key to me.

I think there's a quote out there where Luongo discusses his confidence against Ovechkin by saying that he just always squares up and plays him as if he will shoot. Those Giant Pads work wonders against even the best shooters. Stop the pretty passing plays, and I feel pretty confident Luongo will stop the initial shots.

Mathgod
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Make that Germany and Norway.. and Russia is hardly better than those 2 teams when it comes to defending their own zone... if the scores show otherwise, it's because of their goaltending.

Smell My Finger
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Keep the forward line up the same as it was from lastnights game.
Staal Crosby Iginla have to remain together.
All 4 lines have to forecheck the hell out of the Russians defence and force turnovers. There are quite a few mismatchs that favor Canada over the Russians defensive pairs.

More Doughty less Pronger = massive improvement speed, crisper breakouts and smarter overall decisions.

dissentowner
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Kovalchuk will almost certainly be a no-show. Ovechkin is the key for them. He hasn't exactly been on fire yet.

Anyway, if goaltending holds, Canada is the clear favourite. Best of luck.

Besides those two Canada also has to key up on Semin, if they don't cover him well he will light us up like a christmas tree.

IliketoPuck
02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
If we play physical against the Russians we will be fine. There is a reason they are successful in the East. They are soft.

Pastiche
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Their softness is overstated. I think come up hitting is the wrong strategy. Best is to play them really tight and close down lanes. Stifle them Neidermayer style throughout the first half and rely on a counterattack game. The idea is to get them to abandon the team game and get them to play like a bunch of individuals. If they start doing that then they're toast.

return to the red
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk...meh. We have Crosby, Iginla, Heatley, Marleau, Nash, etc. all capable players able to light the lamp.

I'm not so much worried about Kovalchuk, Malkin and Ovechkin as much as Radulov. He's a guy that can sneak under the radar and pot some huge goals while the Canadians concentrate on the big 3 for Russia.

IliketoPuck
02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I think the Neidermeyer of Norris winning form is the way to play against the Russians. Stifle them, play smart physically, and catch them when they make a mistake.

Kovalchuk will be a no show, Malkin will coast, Richards will Booth Ovechkin.

Netskot
02-24-2010, 12:27 PM
No...Canada never played Latvia.

beyond that, every team in this tournament has faced weaker teams...so what is your point?

my point is that while your point of Canada being offensively succesful, I would point out that this has only been vs. weak teams.

Russia has also been succesful offensively vs. weak teams.

But they have also been succesful vs. strong teams like Czech Republic, something Canada has not done.

IliketoPuck
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
IIRC Russia lost to Slovakia. Which is deinitely a B Level team. But thanks for coming out.

Go Canada!

iamca
02-24-2010, 12:41 PM
If Canada plays physical without taking penalties and continues the physical play they will put themselves in the drivers seat.

If Russia outhits Canada, then Canada will be in trouble.

dissentowner
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
IIRC Russia lost to Slovakia. Which is deinitely a B Level team. But thanks for coming out.

Go Canada!

If I remember correctly Slovakia had a better record in the prelim round then Canada. The Slovaks are just as much an A level team as the Czechs, the States, Russia, Sweden, and Finland. But thanks for coming out.

IliketoPuck
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
TOWER. NO. Don't Contradict. I'm trying to maintain my aire of positivity going into tonight's game. What you posted was not posted.

IliketoPuck
02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
And to clarify, records in the tournament don't tell the whole story. The heavyweights are Sweden, Canada and Russia. Don't kid yourself.

robocop
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
4-2 Canada. Two goals from Iggy and one Crosby

RyZ
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
If I remember correctly Slovakia had a better record in the prelim round then Canada. The Slovaks are just as much an A level team as the Czechs, the States, Russia, Sweden, and Finland. But thanks for coming out.
Based on the programs long line of top finishes in high level international competition, obviously.......:confused:

I get the argument that they have possibly crept up to make it a "big 7" rather than the traditional "big 6", but saying that they are currently an equal hockey nation to the likes of USA, Russia and Sweden? Now you are getting silly. I'd argue that they are still generally closer to Germany, Swiss etc than they are to USA, Russia and Sweden.

Every other "big 6" country has won something. Slovakia has nothing of note on the resume, and would be considered something of a suprise to be in the top 4 of any major tourney at any age group.

Sylvanfan
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
my point is that while your point of Canada being offensively succesful, I would point out that this has only been vs. weak teams.

Russia has also been succesful offensively vs. weak teams.

But they have also been succesful vs. strong teams like Czech Republic, something Canada has not done.

Russia scored 5 goals in two games against the Czech Republic and Slovakia for an average of 2.5 a game. Canada still got 3 goals against a red hot Ryan Miller when they lost.

Difference was that the Russians didn't have a game where they gave up 4 goals and than had to pull the goalie.

H2SO4(aq)
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Tonight we may be watching the ten best players in the world right now.

1.Ovechkin
2.Crosby
3.Malkin
4.Kovalchuk
5.Iginla
6.Semin
7.Heatley
8.Marleau
9.Bryzgalov
10.Thornton

Kesler17
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM

1.Ovechkin
2.Crosby
3.Malkin
4.Kovalchuk
5.Iginla
6.Semin
7.Heatley
8.Marleau
9.Bryzgalov
10.Thornton
I think Nabakov is their goalie :blink:

Kesler17
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
4-2 Canada. Two goals from Iggy and one Crosby
That's only 3 goals :D

Netskot
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Canada 2-3 Russia :(

I hope I'm wrong.

H2SO4(aq)
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I think Nabakov is their goalie :blink:

That is right. Honest mistake

HOOT
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
That's only 3 goals :D

2+1 = 4....duh!;)

Sainters7
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
To be honest I'm pretty worried for this one, I think this is the first time you can ever say that Russia has been playing with more emotion and intensity than Canada has been. Sometimes to me it just looks like they want it more. Canada's still got the most skilled team in the tournament though, so if they bring their A game and crank up the physical, fast-skating play, I think they can take this.

dissentowner
02-25-2010, 07:48 AM
For those of you who argued with me that Slovakia is not an A group team...HA HA!:D

Netskot
02-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Canada played an amazing game. Great job. What a defeat.

Makes me wonder though if the Russian coach made a terrible mistake in starting Nabakov instead of Bryzgalov and even more so, keeping him in net for so long.

Nonetheless, Canada played an unreal game. 2 more like that and it's curtains.

burn_this_city
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Canada played an amazing game. Great job. What a defeat.

Makes me wonder though if the Russian coach made a terrible mistake in starting Nabakov instead of Bryzgalov and even more so, keeping him in net for so long.

Nonetheless, Canada played an unreal game. 2 more like that and it's curtains.

Didnt you fail to see how Canada could win that game?

REDVAN
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
I was honestly worried before the game started- but the first 5 minutes was exactly what it needed to be. As soon as Canada got that first goal, I just knew it was going to be that kind of night and that this game was long over. The crowd knew it, and the players knew it too. Good performance Team Canada, let's see a couple more like that!

AltaGuy
02-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Ah yes. I came back to this thread just for that. I fail to see... what?!

Muahaha... :w00t:

Netskot
02-25-2010, 10:55 AM

I wasn't expecting Russia to forget they were Russia and not Belarus.

Mathgod
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM

1.Ovechkin
2.Crosby
3.Malkin
4.Kovalchuk
5.Iginla
6.Semin
7.Heatley
8.Marleau
9.Bryzgalov
10.Thornton
That Miller guy is pretty good...