PDA

View Full Version : Luongo To Start Against Germany

Pages : [1] 2

Wish They Could Win
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Apparenty, Luongo is getting the start and Babcock is shortening the bench.

UPDATE: Luongo starts against Germany. Canada will go with an NHL format from here on, using 12 forwards and shortening its bench early if needed. Management was not happy with Babcock failing to call a timeout late in the game.

Not sure how reliable this is.

http://www.truthandrumours.net/2010/02/21/canadas-weaknesses-not-many-just-scoring-defense-goaltending/

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
No suprise you play your backup against a weakerthan

opendoor

I though Luongo was the 3rd string?

Kesler17
I think Luongo will play the remaining games

josef
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
if he need to shorten his bench against germany, canada is in deep,deep trouble
this game will be like a pratice for canada

Wish They Could Win
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I bet you see Luongo from here on out provided he looks decent against Germany. You don't split duties in single elimination. You go with who you believe gives you the best chance to win.

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I thought Luongo was the 3rd string?

Nope, he is 2nd soley based on age, otherwise god forbid you sit a stanley cup champ in the press box

Wish They Could Win

They have to play every game like its their last... because it could be. Shortening the bench allows you to set lines and not worry about rotating in the 13th forward or 7th defenseman.

MelBridgeman
I think Luongo will play the remaining games

I think so too...but with the rags back on D...not sure how much he will help

HotHotHeat
Babcock has given no indication that he's capable of managing this team to victory. Out coached the last two games by a wide margin and seemingly searching for answers.

CaptainCrunch
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Well if he's shortening the bench we probably won't see Iggy because Perry will get a lot more ice time as well as Big Lazy Joe.

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
If Luongo does start tomorrow, I'll be indifferent if Canada loses

As much as I love Team Canada, I hate the Canucks even more.

mykalberta
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Management is concerned he didnt call a time out?

Not concerned about anything else other than some worthless non call time out.

I would prefer to see Fleury get the chance, but I think Luongo is the safer choice.
He cant be any worse than what we had in net last night.

I dont hate the canucks because of their players, rather their fans.

old-fart
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
If Luongo plays from here on out, look for Russia to pound us bad.

jayswin
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
THis is good to see. I have more confidence with Luongo between the pipes than wandery Marty.

Also, if Iginla is the forward that gets scratched, I will be heading to Vancouver, where I will kill Mike Babcock then myself.

jayswin
02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Management is concerned he didnt call a time out?

Not concerned about anything else other than some worthless non call time out.

I would prefer to see Fleury get the chance, but I think Luongo is the safer choice.
He cant be any worse than what we had in net last night.

I dont hate the canucks because of their players, rather their fans.

A worthless timout? You mean the one that would have got Crosby out there instead of Perry? I'd say that was a pretty damn big timeout to not take.

d_phaneuf
02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Nope, he is 2nd soley based on age, otherwise god forbid you sit a stanley cup champ in the press box

and they left Osgood at home as well

but I guess it was Osgood and Fleurys play in net that led to their teams scoring them 3 goals a game in the playoffs

the Penguins knew they had to score that much because Fleury's stats in the playoffs last year were not good GAA: 2.61, SV%: .908

Flame19,289
02-22-2010, 12:44 PM

So if it's Canada vs. Finland in the final with Luongo and Kipper in net.... Who do you root for?

jayswin
02-22-2010, 12:46 PM

That's just stupid.

JBR
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
So if it's Canada vs. Finland in the final with Luongo and Kipper in net.... Who do you root for?

1-0 Canada OT win with Iggy getting the unassisted goal.

On second though, why would Babcock play a scrub like Iginla in OT? :boom:

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Either result would be fine with me. I hate Bobby Lou, Kesler and Burrows too much to cheer for them.

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
That's just stupid.

I hope Canada wins, but if Germany wins and lights up Bobby Lou, I can't say I'd be dissapointed

red sky
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
This is it Luongo, the fate of Olympic gold rest on your hugemongous pads... errr I mean shoulders.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope Canada wins, but if Germany wins and lights up Bobby Lou, I can't say I'd be dissapointed
Good luck with that. I was the same I could never cheer for any flames players or Crosby for that matter but its team Canada. This is for our country and our game and on home soil we gotta win this!

Inferno099
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM

As much as I dislike the Vancouver Canucks & always want the Flames to win . . .

It is obvious all Canadians should be cheering for Canada!!!

Once the Olympics are done we can all go back to booing Luongo...

mykalberta
A worthless timout? You mean the one that would have got Crosby out there instead of Perry? I'd say that was a pretty damn big timeout to not take.

That is seriously what they are worried about?

Not the lazy way this team plays, the fact that Bergeron is on the ice at all. Oh wait, I forgot how lethal our team was when we were a man up the entire game.

browna
So if this rumor is true, do you play Luongo on back to back nights? Assuming he wins and has confidence though, can you not go with him? But you have two other goalies as an option too.

Also, just for fun argument, if Luongo "Salo's" one in that allows the Germans to win, after the riot police clean up downtown Vancouver in about 2 weeks, would Gillis have no other choice then to trade that goalie that has to play 41 games a year in the same rink? :hmm:

Kaine
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
So if this rumor is true, do you play Luongo on back to back nights? Assuming he wins and has confidence though, can you not go with him? But you have two other goalies as an option too.

Also, just for fun argument, if Luongo "Salo's" one in that allows the Germans to win, after the riot police clean up downtown Vancouver in about 2 weeks, would Gillis have no other choice then to trade that goalie that has to play 41 games a year in the same rink? :hmm:

The back to back concerns me as well. My thinking was to play Fleury against what should be the weaker team (Russia > Germany) and then give Lou the rest of the tournament.

flambers
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
So if this rumor is true, do you play Luongo on back to back nights?
:hmm:

For sure... There is no other option in my opinion, they have to play Luongo for the remaining games.

Brodeur was terrible, never seen a "star" goalie in a big game make so many mistakes.

Fleury has not played for over a week now... I would think he is the 3rd stringer for the remaining games.

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
The back to back concerns me as well. My thinking was to play Fleury against what should be the weaker team (Russia > Germany) and then give Lou the rest of the tournament.

Either way Babcock can't win, he plays Luongo both games and Canada loses to the Russians, it will be, why didn't you start Fluery against Germany, if he starts Broduer against the Russians and lose, it's why didn't you start Luongo, even though Luongo provides zero guarantee of anything

Sainters7
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Good. IMO after last night Brodeur played himself out of the starting role. He was awful yesterday. Why not give Luongo a chance? If we beat Germany but he looks shaky, then we'll re-address it from there. But for right now anyways I'd say Luongo's our starter from here on out.

d_phaneuf
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM

I don't think you ever risk an elimination game to an inferior goalie (and regardless of what some people think the Team Canada management think Luongo>Fleury)

I could see whomever the backup is getting a period in if the team is up by 3 or 4 going in to the 3rd period tomoro

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think you ever risk an elimination game to an inferior goalie (and regardless of what some people think the Team Canada management think Luongo>Fleury)

I could see whomever the backup is getting a period in if the team is up by 3 or 4 going in to the 3rd period tomoro

Not suprised that a canuck fan would disgrace an Stanley Cup Champ...considering you prob have zero respect for what it takes to win one....Fluery > Luongo.

North East Goon
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I would have had Luongo back in last night, after Brodeur's performance against the Suisse!

Kaine
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM

True, still unfortunate the brass sees Fleury as third string. While almost everyone considers Lou the starter from here on out I for one would want that starter rested and ready for what could be the hardest game Canada will play.

That said as you mentioned no guarantees with Germany anyways so kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

spartan
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
The only reason that I wouldn't puke if Luongo plays the rest of the tournament is that he would likely be more tired later on in the year and hopefully cost the nucks some losses. Why Fleury isn't the backup is beyond me. A goalie who has been to the stanly cup finals two years in a row while winning once vs a goalie that hasn't won anything. I understand that Luongo may be better in a regular season game....but that hasn't translated well in big games. Maybe he finally gets over that hump this year....but i have my doubts.

HPLovecraft
02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think Canada will get by Russia in the Quarters. I believe Babcock will go down in the annals of Canadian Olympic hockey as a colossal failure. It seems management is already upset with him.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Not suprised that a canuck fan would disgrace an Stanley Cup Champ...considering you prob have zero respect for what it takes to win one....Fluery > Luongo.
So Osgood>Fluery>Miller>Luongo?

opendoor
02-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Back to backs haven't been a problem for Luongo. This season he's played both halves of a back to back 6 times. In those 12 games he's 10-2-0.

I think the bigger concern is that he sometimes has trouble after long layoffs (he's a slow starter every year, he wasn't great after coming back from injury last year, and the Chicago series was after 10 days off between rounds). Given that, I think it's imperative that he gets game action against the weaker Germany as a primer for a possible matchup with Russia.

Huntingwhale
I think we will be fine with Luongo in net. Brodeur pretty much played his way out of the net. That should motivate Luongo to be stellar given that this opportunity is being handed to him on a platter.

Resolute 14

Babcock wouldn't shorten the bench due to being in trouble. He would shorten it because he has no clue how to handle 20 skaters instead of 18, and it is ruining the entire team.

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Osgood played well the last 2 stanley finals, but it's pretty clear at his age that is not on those levels. So stop with the Osgood crap. I am talking about the 3 goalies on Team Canada who deserve to be thier.

HotHotHeat
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Reality bites.

calculoso
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
The hate for Luongo in this thread is ridiculous. Hate the players when the Flames play against them if you want, but still have to acknowledge the quality individual that Luongo is.

I still don't see Fleury as having near the ability, experience, or mental strength that either Brodeur or Luongo have, and after Brodeur's last game... that's saying something.

d_phaneuf
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM

that's weak, you at least used to put some effort in to the anti canuck posts

I said team canada views Luongo>Fleury, based on the fact that Luongo has played so far and was the backup last night. I didn't offer my personal opinion over the matter at all in that post

and I don't know where the zero respect for what it takes to win a cup from? neither of us have ever won the stanley cup, so I would think you and I are in the same boat on that one

RedHot25
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
The hate for Luongo in this thread is ridiculous. Hate the players when the Flames play against them if you want, but still have to acknowledge the quality individual that Luongo is.

I still don't see Fleury as having near the ability, experience, or mental strength that either Brodeur or Luongo have, and after Brodeur's last game... that's saying something.

Wow, I agree in entirety with a calculoso post I think for the first time ever ;) .

I agree the Luongo stuff is tiring. Really tiring. Some people need a new shtick.

I don't think Canada will get by Russia in the Quarters. I believe Babcock will go down in the annals of Canadian Olympic hockey as a colossal failure. It seems management is already upset with him.

I don't think Babcock has a clue what he is doing. Some weird, weird choices. Not only is mgmt onto him, but his assistant coaches as well; was it against the Swiss that Hitchcock went storming down into the dressing room between periods, with various gripes such as the team not going to and crashing the net hard enough etc?

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Whats your definition? I will show you mine

EfoHNZRpB0Q

7IXMoRnMmf8

Mccree
02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Do they do press conferences with the Coaches like they do in the NHL after that game?
Would love to hear some of what Babcock has to say:(

Vinny01
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I just am so embarassed that the fans will be shouting "Louuuuuu" every chance they get. Such a terrible tradition.

I am not just saying this as a Canuck hater but I am seriosuly worried about Luongo's chance in a big game vs Russia or Sweden. He might need to go to the bathroom like in 07 or forget how to play altogether like 09.

Kaine
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Do they do press conferences with the Coaches like they do in the NHL after that game?
Would love to hear some of what Babcock has to say:(

Borrowed from another thread.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7875/610xfh.jpg

opendoor
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM

You know what it took for Fleury to win one? Having Crosby and Malkin on his team. His cup winning goaltending performance was one of the worst by a cup winner in decades. In fact, the last time a goalie won a cup with numbers similar to his was Barrasso who had the benefit of playing behind Lemieux and Jagr.

Here are the cup winning goalies since 1990 and their numbers in those playoff years:

Ranford: GAA: 2.53, SV%: .912

Barrasso: GAA: 2.60, SV%: .919

Barrasso: GAA: 2.82, SV%: .907

Roy: GAA: 2.13, SV%: .929

Richter: GAA: 2.07, SV%: .921

Brodeur: GAA: 1.67, SV%: .927

Roy: GAA: 2.10, SV%: .921

Vernon: GAA: 1.76, SV%: .927

Osgood: GAA: 2.12, SV%: .918

Belfour: GAA: 1.67, SV%: .930

Brodeur: GAA: 1.61, SV%: .927

Roy: GAA: 1.70, SV% .934

Hasek: GAA: 1.86, SV%: .920

Brodeur: GAA: 1.65, SV%: .934

Khabibulin: GAA: 1.71, SV%: .933

Ward: GAA: 2.14, SV%: .920

Giguere: GAA: 1.97, SV%: .922

Osgood: GAA: 1.55, SV%: .930

Fleury: GAA: 2.61, SV%: .908

North East Goon
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
so we have management telling coaches how to coach, way too many chefs in this kitchen, we surely will fail!

jayswin
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Man, CP can really be embarrasing and petty sometimes. Jesus guys, this is friggen Team Canada.

I thought it would be 2 weeks of every teams fans coming together and cheering for our heroes at home.

Instead Flames fans have been making silly, petty comments all week.

"Wahhhh, I don't even care if they lose if that guy's playing" Waaaahhhh, I can't cheer for a team with that guy on it"

Do you see Vancouver fans saying "wahhh, I won't cheer for a Team Canada with a Flames player on it"?

You guys sound like whiny kids. If you're not going cheer for Canada, then put your money where your mouth is and stop cheering from here on out, instead of sticking around a being happy when we win and then whining about how you don' really care if they win or not and it's because of certain players on the team, when they lose. :rolleyes:

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
You know what it took for Fleury to win one? Having Crosby and Malkin on his team. His cup winning goaltending performance was one of the worst by a cup winner in decades. In fact, the last time a goalie won a cup with numbers similar to his was Barrasso who had the benefit of playing behind Lemieux and Jagr.

Here are the cup winning goalies since 1990 and their numbers in those playoff years:

Ranford: GAA: 2.53, SV%: .912

Barrasso: GAA: 2.60, SV%: .919

Barrasso: GAA: 2.82, SV%: .907

Roy: GAA: 2.13, SV%: .929

Richter: GAA: 2.07, SV%: .921

Brodeur: GAA: 1.67, SV%: .927

Roy: GAA: 2.10, SV%: .921

Vernon: GAA: 1.76, SV%: .927

Osgood: GAA: 2.12, SV%: .918

Belfour: GAA: 1.67, SV%: .930

Brodeur: GAA: 1.61, SV%: .927

Roy: GAA: 1.70, SV% .934

Hasek: GAA: 1.86, SV%: .920

Brodeur: GAA: 1.65, SV%: .934

Khabibulin: GAA: 1.71, SV%: .933

Ward: GAA: 2.14, SV%: .920

Giguere: GAA: 1.97, SV%: .922

Osgood: GAA: 1.55, SV%: .930

Fleury: GAA: 2.61, SV%: .908

You base performance solely on stats? Yikes, a lot to learn. I guess Osgood should be the starter

RedHot25
02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
You base performance solely on stats? Yikes, a lot to learn. I guess Osgood should be the starter

A couple of posts up you based your opinion of experience, mental toughness etc on one game. Seems fair.

Infamous1
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Seems to me that you base it on him being lucky enough to play on a team that has Crosby/Malkin.

opendoor
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Name a cup winning goalie since Barrasso who had worse playoff perfomance than Fleury did last season.

LChoy
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm leaning to go with Luongo as well. Sorry CP, but for the good of the country
Luongo played well, even if it was against Norway, he still made some great saves
The only concern I have is that Brodeur is better on the SO than Luongo

zamler
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Man, CP can really be embarrasing and petty sometimes. Jesus guys, this is friggen Team Canada.

[snip]
Totally agree.

And people need to think for a minute why Luongo should get the start. MAF would be going in cold, coming off a recent injury, just not ready. Yes he has a Cup ring that counts for a lot, but there is not time IMO to get him going.

Sure Luongo has not won the "big" games with the Canucks, but consider the team he plays for. The Canucks have a history of epic failure, remember that, it's not just with Lou in net.

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM

I thought it would be 2 weeks of every teams fans coming together and cheering for our heroes at home.

"Wahhhh, I don't even care if they lose if that guy's playing" Waaaahhhh, I can't cheer for a team with that guy on it"

Do you see Vancouver fans saying "wahhh, I won't cheer for a Team Canada with a Flames player on it"?

You guys sound like whiny kids. If you're not going cheer for Canada, then put your money where your mouth is and stop cheering from here on out, instead of sticking around a being happy when we win and then whining about how you don' really care if they win or not and it's because of certain players on the team, when they lose. :rolleyes:

Will you stop whining about how some fans choose to cheer?

I don't like Luigi. End of story. I want us to win, but would not be as upset if we lost with him between the pipes

2macinnis2
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Yeah, the truth is the pros in the Olympics and current Olympic hockey isn't that great. As a "U.S. fan" and citizen and Flames fan, I find myself cheering for Iginla/Canada over Team USA. In 2002 I cheered for MacInnis. Heck, I lived in Buffalo during the Czech run, and I'm pretty sure most people there cheered for Hasek over Team USA. This isn't a "Flames fan" phenomenon at all.

The charm of the Olympic tournament really was most noticeably lost when the pros started, but probably even before with the fall of the USSR. This was a lot of fun when it was a) David vs Goliath and b) the only real chance we would have to watch Goliath play in real money time. Those two things made Olympic hockey great. It's the reason why (sorry Canadians) that 1980 Placid was the most memorable and arguably the greatest achievement in the history of hockey.

HelloHockeyFans
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, was really hoping for Gold for Canada obviously, but with Luongo in net, I just get the feeling Canada has a really good chance of not even medaling now... :(

jeremywilhelm
02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
You would have to be a total loser to cheer against Canada just because you don't like Luongo.

jayswin
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Will you stop whining about how some fans choose to cheer?

I don't like Luigi. End of story. I want us to win, but would not be as upset if we lost with him between the pipes

Stop whining? It was one post, and it's a stupid way to cheer, end of story.

RedHot25
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, was really hoping for Gold for Canada obviously, but with Luongo in net, I just get the feeling Canada has a really good chance of not even medaling now... :(

This post is funny; not because of your comment, but truthfully I have that the same feeling with Brodeur in net for this tournament.

2macinnis2
02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
You would have to be a total loser to cheer against Canada just because you don't like Luongo.

Meh, if it really shook him up to the point he questioned himself in big NHL games in the future, it's probably worthwhile. He is the franchise player of one of our absolute arch rivals.

RockOnRoberts
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
A more official source than the OP's, just to confirm it.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=49452.html?cid=rsstsn9

kevman
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
7uongo is our man moving forwward!
(God I feel dirty...)

Seriously though, he had a gaff in the playoffs but history has shown he can also steal more then his fair share of games. I hate to admit it but I'd be way more comfortable seeing 1uongo* in net vs. Fluery.

*1 as in the 1 goal he give up in each of the next 4 games on the way to the Gold metal! :bag:

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm not cheering against Canada. I just wouldn't be as upset if we lost with Luigi starting. Plus, I can find a huge silver lining if we can blame the lost on the Nucks #1 goalie

Infamous1
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Alright it's official. Luongo will warm up against the Germans and be ready for Russia.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Alright it's official. Luongo will warm up against the Germans and be ready for Russia.
Yes gonna be a intense ride, here we go!

questionmotives
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Alright, Luongo the fate of our country is now in your crease.

Please protect it, and for god's sake focus just on stopping the puck and nothing else. The rest will take care of itself.

I will not "Louuuuuu," you can bet your ass I am cheering for you.

Go Canada Go!

Infamous1
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes gonna be a intense ride, here we go!

This is his chance to prove he can win when the games count.

jayswin
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.########.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/132888d1266839886-funny-strange-random-pics-thesixthsense.jpg

HPLovecraft
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
So was that USA game likely the last time we'll ever see an aging Brodeur in international play for Team Canada?

Blaster86
02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
So was that USA game likely the last time we'll ever see an aging Brodeur in international play for Team Canada?

Yep.

Kaine
The part of me that does cheer for Canada is happy to see Luongo starting after it has become quite clear Brodeur isn't the goalie he once was (had an amazing career but appears to be going the way of Scotty).

I just hope the fans will hold back on at least some of the "Luoooooo" chants, at least perhaps forgo the chant when the puck goes 5 feet wide of the net ;)

jayswin

It's comforting to know we've got our man. Let the games begin.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Yep, he is done. Great career but I think its time to say Bye to Marty at least at the international level.

burning_acid1
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
THis is good to see. I have more confidence with Luongo between the pipes than wandery Marty.

Also, if Iginla is the forward that gets scratched, I will be heading to Vancouver, where I will kill Mike Babcock then myself.

He won't get shafted. He's probably going to move back up to the first line with Sid and Nash. He played extremely well last game, especially in the final few minutes.

burning_acid1
02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
7u0ng0 can do it! Go Canada!

Erick Estrada
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Meh. I have a feeling the only Canadian players that come out of this Olympics smelling like a rose are the ones that didn't get picked to play on the team. Unless this team pulls a 180 there is a real possibility that this will go down as a major debacle. Bad personel moves, abysmal coaching, and star players struggling to find their game in a short tournament.

HotHotHeat
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm going to do my best to cheer for Loungo tomorrow night. He's gonna get the job done.

Go Canada Go!

I'm going to puke

the_professsor
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Canada pride > Flames pride

I hope Luongo doesn't allow another goal for the next 4 games!

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm going to do my best to cheer for Loungo tomorrow night. He's gonna get the job done.

Go Canada Go!

I'm going to puke
Well if he doesn't were done :confused: But I'm confident! GO Canada GO

jayswin
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
LuGoldo!

red sky
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Dive you dirty I-ty dive!

Textcritic
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
LuGoldo!

That's horrible in the same realm as Tommy Larscheid's "Bingo! Bango!" invention. "Luongold" is the word you were searching for, I believe.

Vinny01
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I will be cheering for Team Canada for sure. I just honestly question Luongo's capability to play the big game. Beating Germany won't prove anything either. He has let in soft goals all season. People say it is because we are homer's and hate the Canucks but it is a legitimate concern!

jayswin
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
That's horrible in the same realm as Tommy Larscheid's "Bingo! Bango!" invention. "Luongold" is the word you were searching for, I believe.

Yes sir, you are correct.

nik-
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
The Louuuu chant is stupid, and I still don't trust him in big games, but I pray he does well on Tuesday.

GreenLantern
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
So far in the Olympics his name is Luong0 ..

Let's hope it can stay that way, at least for one more game..

This is what the people want, lets see if the majority of the nation is right.

pylon
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Good luck with that. I was the same I could never cheer for any flames players or Crosby for that matter but its team Canada. This is for our country and our game and on home soil we gotta win this!

I'll gladly sacrifice 1 day of national pride, for years of ammo to disgrace Canucks fans with.

REDVAN
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Bobby Lou will do just fine.

Whether we win or lose to Russia (I hope we get that far) won't be on his shoulders, it'll be on the coach and the rest of the players (namely Niedermayer and Pronger, Thornton and Bergeron...).

Only player who has been above expecations is Iginla, for me at least. Crosby standard. Nash, exactly what I thought. But Iginla above par. We need someone else to wow, or else this tourney is over on Wednesday night.

Timbo
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
He should not have to stand on his head ... he just needs to be solid and consistant. He should do fine.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Canada pride > Flames pride

Flames >>>>>>>> Team Canada...luckily I can just push that pride aside for a few days and hope Canada as a team can do it's best.

Luongo playing another 4 games on top of the amount of games he has already played and will have to play will only be better for the Flames anyways. See what I did there? Turn a negative to a positive! Suck it up people you don't have to Luo or even show emotion when he makes a save but you should be cheering for the Canadian flag no matter what. Unless you are a stinkin' Yankee....ya I'm talking to you nickerjones. :p

Meers
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Germans???

C'mon. Let's drop the political correctness. We know who Team Canada is really up against . . . Hitler's secret clone army.

Just take a good long look at Christian Erhoff or Marco Sturm and the German's insidious plan becomes pretty damned obvious. This is something straight outta The Boys from Brazil.

So let's not beat around the bush here.

The upcoming game is Canada vs. the Nazis.

Lt. Aldo Yzerman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000093/): "And once we're in enemy territory, as a bushwhackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doin' one thing and one thing only... killin' Nazis. Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a in' air-o-plane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass murderin' maniac and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every every son of a bitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die. Now, I'm the direct descendant of the mountain man Jim Bridger. That means I got a little Injun in me. And our battle plan will be that of an Apache resistance. We will be cruel to the Germans, and through our cruelty they will know who we are. And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered, and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us. And the German won't not be able to help themselves but to imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot heels, and the edge of our knives. And the German will be sickened by us, and the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us. And when the German closes their eyes at night and they're tortured by their subconscious for the evil they have done, it will be with thoughts of us they are tortured with. Sound good?

Team Canada: YES, SIR!

Lt. Aldo Yzerman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000093/): That's what I like to hear. But I got a word of warning for all you would-be warriors. When you join my command, you take on debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis. Or you will die tryin'."

pylon
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
nm...

not going to bother responding to that classless post.

Textcritic
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Germans???...
The upcoming game is Canada vs. the Nazis.

This is wrong in so many ways. Bannable offense.

Timbo
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Meers you got it all wrong

Donny (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/name/nm0000114/): Are these the Nazis, Walter?
Walter Sobchak (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/name/nm0000422/): No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Quoted from The Big Lebowski

RandomDad
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Cant wait to see Luongo shine the rest of the tournament. Not worried about back to backs either, because the Germany game won't tire him out at all. He might need to make 15-20 saves.

Also Luongo seems to have a really good record against Ovechkin, so I think that helps. However I would be a little worried if any of these games go to a shootout.

REDVAN
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
LOL at meers... for all the wrong reasons.

Roof-Daddy
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I hate Luongo.

He's a dirty, disgusting Vancouver Canuck. Gross.

But I hope that while he's playing for Team Canada, he stands on his friggen head and helps us win the gold medal.

Go Luongo, and Go Team CANADA!

Machiavelli
02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I hope Canada scores enough goals that it doesn't matter what Luongo does.

I can't cheer for him.

BurningYears
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Cant wait to see Luongo shine the rest of the tournament. Not worried about back to backs either, because the Germany game won't tire him out at all. He might need to make 15-20 saves.

Also Luongo seems to have a really good record against Ovechkin, so I think that helps. However I would be a little worried if any of these games go to a shootout.

haha really? i doubt a couple of games against the washington capitals have any bearing on a canada vs russia hockey game.

RandomDad
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
haha really? i doubt a couple of games against the washington capitals have any bearing on a canada vs russia hockey game.

Also with Florida too. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think he is something like 10-2 against Ovechkin.

JayP
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM

You base performance solely on team success? Yikes, a lot to learn.

Why isn't Jordan Staal and his Stanley Cup ring on this team?

Vinny01
02-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Good question. He would be perfect for the 4th line checking role.

serge2k
02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
and first line winger.

and second line center.

and first unit PK wing.

and extra attacker.

and on the point on the power play.

and maybe (just maybe) he could be backup goaltender for a game too.

Hopefully Babcock can sort something out when he has an NHL sized bench.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Also with Florida too. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think he is something like 10-2 against Ovechkin.

9-3 (with 7 of those games when Washington was a 14th placed team) but not sure how that proves anything about Luongo vs. Ovechkin....this isn't basketball.

JayP
02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Rob Zaumner was perfect for that role in 1998 too.

jeremywilhelm
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I hope Luongo helps win Canada gold, then I don't have to hear CPs stupid argument that he has never won anything to make him an elite goalie. The guy is good, he is big (big pads, that is always good) and he will do what he needs to to win.

I dislike his diving as much as the next guy, but there is no doubt that this greasy monkey is a good goalie.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
double post

Bertuzzied
02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I hope he starts off with a nice little dive in the 1st period against the germans. He hasn't dove in over a week!

German-Boogard, Marco Sturm, skating by the crease should generate enough of a breeze.

Vinny01
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I hope Luongo helps win Canada gold, then I don't have to hear CPs stupid argument that he has never won anything to make him an elite goalie. The guy is good, he is big (big pads, that is always good) and he will do what he needs to to win.

I dislike his diving as much as the next guy, but there is no doubt that this greasy monkey is a good goalie.

Why would you want that? It is one of my favorite arguements as to why Luongo is overrated when I am getting into it with my Canuck friends. They laugh when I say we have the best goaltending in the division and that is one of my first arguements. That along with choking in big games and needing to take a poo when OT was starting. The over-dramatic displays of laying on the ice and constant deflections of his own poor play at his team is also things I tend to point out to Nuck fans.

jeremywilhelm
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Because it is a stupid argument. Luongo is good. Vancouver sucks.

Bertuzzied
02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Because it is a stupid argument. Luongo is good. Vancouver sucks.

No matter how good of a goalie he is, even with big pads, it is all nullified by his terrible acting jobs. Diving has ZERO place in the NHL.

Jetsfan
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Good to see.

Go Canada!

kirant
02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I want Luongo to win. Great seeing him in over Brodeur.

Blech. Still can't get used to saying that.

subdude
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Wow, that the general feeling in Calgary?

kirant
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Nah. Most of us want to see Canada win first.

Though if they lose with him in net, he'll instantly become the bane of all on CP...not like he isn't already.

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Cause there are better players ahead of him.

Blaster86
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Looooooooooou!

subdude
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Nah. Most of us want to see Canada win first.

Though if they lose with him in net, he'll instantly become the bane of all on CP...not like he isn't already.

yes, but at the same time if the flames somehow ended up with luongo as their goalie (for whatever reason) you'd love him. same for us with kipper.

Kaine
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
New top line as per CTV

Iggy - Crosby - Staal
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry (Thanks dissentowner for filling that line in)

Didn't catch the rest :bag:

dissentowner
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
New top line as per CTV

Iggy - Crosby - Staal

I caught Nash with Getslav and Perry.

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
yes, but at the same time if the flames somehow ended up with luongo as their goalie (for whatever reason) you'd love him. same for us with kipper.

Of course. There is only one reason why I hate him and that is becuase of the team he plays for

HOOT
02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Getslav? He sounds good! ;)

Infamous1
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Apparently Babcock was on Team1040 today and it didnt sound like Luongo was a sure thing. He sounds like a guy who will stick with what he thinks will work just so he can prove he's right and the majority are wrong. We'll see.

JayP
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Cause there are better players ahead of him.

And Luongo is a better goalie than Fleury.

Why is the Stanley Cup ring the sole judge of a goalie's abilities, but for a forward it's an afterthought.

I always find the "Fleury has a ring" argument hilarious considering how the entire playoff run the talk was how the Pens were winning in spite of Fleury's poor play.

And for poor elimination game performances - go watch some tape of Brodeur's collapse in game 7 against Carolina last season. Hell, watch any tape of Brodeur in the playoffs since the lock-out.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Why is the Stanley Cup ring the sole judge of a goalie's abilities, but for a forward it's an afterthought.

A goalie is like a QB in football, pitcher in baseball or skip in curling, they get all the glory when a team wins and all the blame when a team loses.

IMO Luongo is the better goalie of the two but experience in must win games and delivering is priceless.

JayP
02-22-2010, 05:27 PM
A goalie is like a QB in football, pitcher in baseball or skip in curling, they get all the glory when a team wins and all the blame when a team loses.

IMO Luongo is the better goalie of the two but experience in must win games and delivering is priceless.

They might get all the glory/blame, but that doesn't mean it's deserving.

Experience is important, but it doesn't override every other factor.

opendoor
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Apparently Babcock was on Team1040 today and it didnt sound like Luongo was a sure thing. He sounds like a guy who will stick with what he thinks will work just so he can prove he's right and the majority are wrong. We'll see.

FWIW, Luongo had his own net in practice today, whereas Brodeur and Fleury shared a net. That's usually a pretty good indication of who's playing next.

zamler
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Babcock not ready to announce Luongo as starter (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=49452.html?cid=rsstsn)

According to a report from Yahoo! Sports, Roberto Luongo will get the start in net for Canada against Germany in Tuesday's qualification round game, replacing Martin Brodeur (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/team-canada/athletes/athlete=345/index.html).
However in an interview with Vancouver radio station THE TEAM 1040, Canada's head coach Mike Babcock was not yet ready to make that announcement.
"Well, it sounds to me like TSN is ahead of the coaching staff so if they got a good scoop, you'll be able to say 'they knew'".

Can't say I'm surprised in the least.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
They might get all the glory/blame, but that doesn't mean it's deserving.

Experience is important, but it doesn't override every other factor.

Do you believe Luongo is ahead is every other factor?

d_phaneuf
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Babcock not ready to announce Luongo as starter (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=49452.html?cid=rsstsn)

According to a report from Yahoo! Sports, Roberto Luongo will get the start in net for Canada against Germany in Tuesday's qualification round game, replacing Martin Brodeur (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/team-canada/athletes/athlete=345/index.html).
However in an interview with Vancouver radio station THE TEAM 1040, Canada's head coach Mike Babcock was not yet ready to make that announcement.
"Well, it sounds to me like TSN is ahead of the coaching staff so if they got a good scoop, you'll be able to say 'they knew'".

Can't say I'm surprised in the least.

wouldn't be surprising, but I think he is just trying to mess with the media

Luongo had his own net today, Fleury and Brodeur shared a net

hockeycop
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Absolutely not! It's definitely a minority who can't look past the fact that a player wore a different jersey last week.

Vancouver fans have been very classy in accepting Calgary's Iginla. Perhaps Calgary fans should get behind Luongo. We're all cheering for one team now. One jersey. One flag.

GO CANADA GO!

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Absolutely not! It's definitely a minority who can't look past the fact that a player wore a different jersey last week.

Vancouver fans have been very classy in accepting Calgary's Iginla. Perhaps Calgary fans should get behind Luongo. We're all cheering for one team now. One jersey. One flag.

GO CANADA GO!

Its different when its a goalie. I didn't care at all when Bertuzzi was on Team Canada in 2006 (I know he wasn't a Canuck then). I would still cheer for Canada if Burrows made this year's team. That's because both are and would be small parts in Team Canada's success.

Who do you think will get all the accoldates if Luongo starts and carries Team Canada to a gold medal? Luigi, that's who. I hate the Canucks fans gloating enough already. I wouldn't be able to handle it if that was the case.

afc wimbledon
02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Its different when its a goalie. I didn't care at all when Bertuzzi was on Team Canada in 2006 (I know he wasn't a Canuck then). I would still cheer for Canada if Burrows made this year's team. That's because both are and would be small parts in Team Canada's success.

Who do you think will get all the accoldates if Luongo starts and carries Team Canada to a gold medal? Luigi, that's who. I hate the Canucks fans gloating enough already. I wouldn't be able to handle it if that was the case.

I'd rather see Burrows start than Luongo, this team could do with his commitment to the game!

JayP
02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Do you believe Luongo is ahead is every other factor?

Pretty much. Fleury is an above average goalie. Luongo is an elite one.

return to the red
02-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Aww come on Albert, I hate the Canucks as much as anyone else but where is your sense of patriotism and Canadian pride?

If Luongo does start and carry this team it's Canada's medal not Luongo's teams medal. Take down your shields and cheer on whoever might bring Iginla that second gold medal.

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Aww come on Albert, I hate the Canucks as much as anyone else but where is your sense of patriotism and Canadian pride?

If Luongo does start and carry this team it's Canada's medal not Luongo's teams medal. Take down your shields and cheer on whoever might bring Iginla that second gold medal.

I'll be happy if Canada wins gold with Lou in net. But I would not shed a tear if AO and Kovalchuk light him up. In fact, I might even smile a little.

Jetsfan
02-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Personally, I don't think so.

I hope Luongo gets for straight shutouts!

I will chant Loouuuuu....

Then on Monday I'll go back to hating him!

GO CANADA GO

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Alpha_flight_89_guardian.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Alpha_flight_89_guardian.jpg)

HOOT
02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Pretty much. Fleury is an above average goalie. Luongo is an elite one.

Pretty sad for Canada that all they could find was an above average goalie for that third spot.

Anyways I think all three goaltenders are great but the amount of pressure on whoever starts will be crazy and I just haven't see Luongo handle that. Should be interesting for sure!

Jables16
02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Looooooooooou!

I am willing to accept having to hear the stupidest, most asinine chant in sports (except maybe the Habs "ole, ole") if it helps Canada win. I said before the tournament began that Luongo should not be given the starting job unless Broduer proved himself incapable which he certainly did last night. Canada was certainly not without its faults last night but I believe they could have won that game if Broduer has played a bit more conservative and just made a few common sense plays. Not only were the second and third goals against terrible misplays they came with the worst possible timing and killed all momentum the team had built up.

Even now I'd almost rather see Fleury in net but Luongo got that first game against Norway so at least he's not going in completely cold and has a bit of game experience with the team. Don't get me wrong he's a very capable goalie but when it comes to big game heroics he's almost on par with Joe Thornton in my books. However, if the team, specifically our veteran defenders, can improve a bit on the US game he will only have to be solid and occasionally spectacular to help us win.

3 Justin 3
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Luongo can steal games, ala Ryan Miller.

Fleury would end up shooting it off of Pronger's dumbass forehead and we'd lose in OT.

Jables16
02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
New top line as per CTV

Iggy - Crosby - Staal
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry (Thanks dissentowner for filling that line in)

I'd assume they would end up as Staal - Crosby - Iggy since Staal has been playing LW this whole time and Iggy is a natural RW.

I really wish the Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash line could be reunited but that would mean breaking up the vaunted Sharks line and make Thornton some kinda useless. But I suppose we already have Getzlaf looking like a plug out there so maybe we can just change up which one of our centers is junk and hope for the best.

I'll even pull a Lindberg and post some line combos I'd like to see:

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash
Morrow - Toews - Richards
Marleau - Thornton - Perry
Bergeron

JayP
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Pretty sad for Canada that all they could find was an above average goalie for that third spot.

I wouldn't say it's sad. Goaltending depth is becoming a worldwide trend. Of the top 7 hockey nations (CAN, RUS, SWE, FIN, CZE, USA, SLO), Slovakia is the only team without a great goalie (although Halak is capable enough). Look at the names in this tournament:

Brodeur
Luongo
Miller
Thomas
Kiprusoff
Backstrom
Lundqvist
Nabokov
Bryzgalov
Voukoun
Hiller

At the end of the day, how many of those guys would you take Fleury ahead of?

burning_acid1
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd assume they would end up as Staal - Crosby - Iggy since Staal has been playing LW this whole time and Iggy is a natural RW.

I really wish the Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash line could be reunited but that would mean breaking up the vaunted Sharks line and make Thornton some kinda useless. But I suppose we already have Getzlaf looking like a plug out there so maybe we can just change up which one of our centers is junk and hope for the best.

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash
Bergeron

I agree with you for Bergeron to be the 13th forward. He should not have made the team :ph34r:

Johnny Canuck
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
As a Canucks fan, I can't help but feel excited about Luongo getting the start. Thus far in his career hes had mixed success when it comes to high pressure games. If he can help Canada win gold as a starter, not only will it give him supreme confidence in high pressure situations, but it will get alot of the naysayers off his back which will be nice... Every goalie has to start somewhere (Every goalie at some point is questioned until they win the big one) This, I think, Is Luongos chance, and I have a good feeling that hes going to step up big time.

Also, wanted to quickly comment on Iginla starting on the top line for the next game. I think its a terrific idea, and like most people here, he should have been on the top line since game one. He looks much better up there than Nash, and as long as Babcock keeps Iggy up there, the top line should produce. Alot.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM

I actually don't know how I got into this argument comparing the two because really I don't care they are both goaltenders. I guess I'm just trying to say is that either guy is a great choice and Fleury doesn't get enough respect because he 'plays in front of a good team' argument but what two time Stanley Cup Finalist and Stanley Cup Champ hasn't had a good team?

shermanator
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't say it's sad. Goaltending depth is becoming a worldwide trend. Of the top 7 hockey nations (CAN, RUS, SWE, FIN, CZE, USA, SLO), Slovakia is the only team without a great goalie (although Halak is capable enough). Look at the names in this tournament:

Brodeur
Luongo
Miller
Thomas
Kiprusoff
Backstrom
Lundqvist
Nabokov
Bryzgalov
Voukoun
Hiller

Canada is the only country with a goaltender that has won the Stanley Cup. In fact, we have two.

PyramidsofMars
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Yes, but it sounds like we're going to be playing the only one of the three who has not, and who has never been all that great in playoff or elimination hockey, for the rest of the tournament.

So what's the point in having two goaltenders who have won the Stanley Cup? Especially when one of them seems to think he's playing at the World Series every now and then, and likes to tap pucks into net through his legs.

Luongo is the only option because nobody seems to think Fleury is cut out for it, and I have a bad feeling about his future performance in this tournament. I would rather see Martin 'Baseball Bat' Brodeur in goal again than Luongo. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, though.

Kaine
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash
Bergeron

My post wasn't meant to put players on there correct wings as the broadcast didn't mention it ;)

We would have to assume you are very likely correct tho.

jschick88
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
From Damien Cox of the Toronto Star:

Babcock makes it clear: It's Luongo the rest of the way. "That's the plan," he just told a press conference

Machiavelli
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
"I'm pumped," Luongo before the announcement today. "The adrenaline is really going. I can't tell you how excited I am."

Said Babcock on goalies: "We are in the wins business. We believe Lou gives is a big chance to win."

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/Luongo+start+Team+Canada+against+Germany/2598567/story.html

OILFAN #81
02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
From Damien Cox of the Toronto Star:

Babcock makes it clear: It's Luongo the rest of the way. "That's the plan," he just told a press conference

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/Luongo+start+Team+Canada+against+Germany/2598567/story.html

Easy call for Babcock. Not looking past the Germans but Luongo should play well in that and Canada should win. The QF game will be the toughest game remaining and either we get bounced or we win and go with Luongo again. I am confident with Luongo in net.

Fairweather
02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't care. Just win.

Jables16
02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree with you for Bergeron to be the 13th forward. He should not have made the team :ph34r:

I understand their rationale that they wanted guys who have chemistry together already and that Bergeron is a pretty good all around player but with him not sticking on that top line and others looking much more suited he just looks like a wasted pick.

The fact that our power play has been struggling and we could've had Steve Stamkos instead as the thirteenth forward and a PP specialist or used eight defense and twelve forwards to get Mike Green on the team reflects pretty poorly on Yzerman.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Regardless of who starts they cannot let in the first goal of the game in either of these games for Canada to win. Getting down early even to Germany could be disaster with the pressure this team has. I know I would be holding my stick a little bit tighter.

zamler
02-22-2010, 07:38 PM
That doesn't sound like Babcock. Sounds more like something Babcock was "instructed" to say.

CedarMeter
02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
If he plays he better win..If he doesn't win he'll be the biggest whipping boy this message board has ever seen..I wish him luck, I truly hope he can pull it off..Prove us wrong, Lou.

Machiavelli
02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
If he plays he better win..If he doesn't win he'll be the biggest whipping boy this message board has ever seen..I wish him luck, I truly hope he can pull it off..Prove us wrong, Lou.

This really is a win-win situation.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Regardless of who starts they cannot let in the first goal of the game in either of these games for Canada to win. Getting down early even to Germany could be disaster with the pressure this team has. I know I would be holding my stick a little bit tighter.
Yea the early goal by the Americans last night just killed us. Although we tied it shortly after they responded quickly again. The key is to score first and settle it down and take advantage of being on home and play smart.

Kesler17
02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Yep I can defnitley see that on CP, but the pressure is on everyone I hope they can win this!

Mad Mel
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM

If people could cheer for Bertuzzi but can't cheer for Luongo, they are fans of their team, but not hockey fans.

Alright, Luongo the fate of our country is now in your crease.

Please protect it, and for god's sake focus just on stopping the puck and nothing else. The rest will take care of itself.

And don't forget to take a dump before the game starts!

I will be cheering for Team Canada for sure. I just honestly question Luongo's capability to play the big game. Beating Germany won't prove anything either. He has let in soft goals all season. People say it is because we are homer's and hate the Canucks but it is a legitimate concern!

You bet it is. The thing about Luongo is that he goes on streaks where he'll let in a bad goal a game, then be unbeatable for ten games. I hope the (admittedly easy) shutout started a good roll.

HOOT
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
How good has Luongo been in back-to-back games this year or in the past?

Mad Mel
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
How good has Luongo been in back-to-back games this year or in the past?

I think opendoor posted earlier that he's 10-2 this season.

Fairweather
02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
You know, one thing that was pretty underrated for Team Canada is how much fight they put in despite at least TWO deflating goals precipitated (if not outright let in) by Brodeur.

You could see the team sag a little bit after the quick USA goal but they put in some pressure and potted their own goal. Then Baseball Brodeur. Team Canada staggered but still kept pushing and managed to tie it again!

Then a breakdown in defense (which in all honesty are things that will sometimes happen) coupled with yet another boneheaded play by Brodeur gives the Americans yet another lead. Absolutely crushing especially since USA scores again and makes it 4-2.

They still fought and even pushed it to 4-3. Now, we know how that ended (DAMNIT PERRY. DAMNIT BABCOCK) but they pushed three goals past an exceptional Miller that made no real mistakes.

Erick Estrada
02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
This really is a win-win situation.

It really is. If they win great. If Canada loses it won't be nearly as disappointing. In fact if they are going to lose I hope they get spanked and put up a 7uongo.

CedarMeter
02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
It really is. If they win great. If Canada loses it won't be nearly as disappointing. In fact if they are going to lose I hope they get spanked and put up a 7uongo.

I love it..We have Canuck fans by the short and curlies..He better perform or the guillotine will be coming out..That being said I'm behind him 100%..I hope he can pull off four in row..Go Lou Go!

HOZ
02-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Germany = turtle defense.
Prediction
Shot count 35 - 12
15 shots blocked. Canada limps away 3-1.

Scrambler
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
It's the bloody Olympics people, cheer for your COUNTRY and put NHL stuff aside right now. Heck even my diehard Canuck fans hate Kesler right now and will not cheer on Sweden because of the Sedins, Finland because of Salo, Slovakia because of Demitra, etc etc. And whaddya know, when Iginla scored a hat trick last week, a lot of those fans throwing those expensive Team Canada hats onto the ice were Canuck fans.

old-fart
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Even Pooungo should be able to beat a sad sack Germany team. I'm sure when Canada defeats the Germies tomorrow all the Nuck fans will be praising Pooungo like nobodies business.

Unfortunately for Team Canada, I think Russia spanks us pretty bad on Wednesday.

d_phaneuf
02-22-2010, 09:16 PM
That doesn't sound like Babcock. Sounds more like something Babcock was "instructed" to say.

Someone with some sense, possible Gretzky, probly told him and Yzerman to stop trying to look like geniuses when they win

instead, just win

RandomDad
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
So say Russia beats Canada 2-1 and Luongo makes 43 saves.

On this board, it will still be his fault right?

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA all trump Canada in the goaltending department....if Luongo starts against the Russians, his best NHL performace is prob not good enough...

HOOT
02-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Gotta shut the door! ;)

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Nope but I am sure Luongo will find away to throw his teammates under the bus.

"I can't score goals"

3 Justin 3
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA all trump Canada in the goaltending department....if Luongo starts against the Russians, his best NHL performace is prob not good enough...

Jesus Christ man, take off the glasses and stop drinking the kool-aid. We all know you hate Luongo, but you look like such a fool with some of your comments about Luongo and Canada.

If Luongo plays his best, not even Russia will put one by him.

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Jesus Christ man, take off the glasses and stop drinking the kool-aid. We all know you hate Luongo, but you look like such a fool with some of your comments about Luongo and Canada.

If Luongo plays his best, not even Russia will put one by him.

use the ignore button, champ

OILFAN #81
02-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I have the utmost confidence in Luongo. He is one of the top 5 goalies in the world and is an elite goaltender. For the next 6 days i'll be cheering for him for sure. I hope he goes 4-0 from here on in and stones everyone. He certainly has the talent to do so.

zamler
02-22-2010, 10:26 PM

"I can't score goals"
Give it a rest, seriously.

This is Canada's team, everyone there represents all of us, no matter what. Cheer for all of them, or cheer for the Russians.

jschick88
02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I have the utmost confidence in Luongo. He is one of the top 5 goalies in the world and is an elite goaltender. For the next 6 days i'll be cheering for him for sure. I hope he goes 4-0 from here on in and stones everyone. He certainly has the talent to do so.

Elite? Come on now, that is taking it a little to far.

zamler
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Elite? Come on now, that is taking it a little to far.
Probably. But for the next 4 games, I hope Luongo becomes the greatest goaltender ever to lace em up.

Joborule
02-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Quite frankly if your cheering for Team Canada, you should be cheering for Luongo to do well. Some of you guys take the Canucks hate too seriously to not want Luongo to perform well like he can.

jschick88
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Probably. But for the next 4 games, I hope Luongo becomes the greatest goaltender ever to lace em up.

Can't agree more. Although I still disapprove of Luongo starting, I hope he can lead Canada to gold.

RandomDad
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM

"I can't score goals"

I heard on the Team1040 today, that Brodeur basically said he did his job and that the team couldn't capitalize on its chances.

zamler
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I heard on the Team1040 today, that Brodeur basically said he did his job and that the team couldn't capitalize on its chances.
Seriously? That doesn't sound like Marty. Never mind his incomprehensible puck handling cost us the game. (or a big reason at the very least)

Huntingwhale
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Luongo is about to play the biggest game of his career. All the homers here like to quip about how he has never "made it to the big stage". I hate him as much as the next guy, but tomorrow l will be his #1 fan. If he wins...he stays in. If we lose...Canada goes home. The fate of out nation and the last 4 years rest on him now. Let's see what this guy can do. THIS is the biggest stage of his career. This now-elimination tournament will now define him. This will determine if he truely belongs among the elite. I for one hope he shuts the mouths of a lot of haters. Because all l care about is winning gold. It's now up to him to deliver.

RandomDad
02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Seriously? That doesn't sound like Marty. Never mind his incomprehensible puck handling cost us the game. (or a big reason at the very least)

I just heard it from Blake Price who was quoting Brodeur. Don't know if he re-worded or anything though

Stanley
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Well in fairness to Marty, we didn't...however, avoiding playing baseball with the puck would of helped too...I still think Marty came up huge for us on some breakaways and close in shots, but Luongo's earned his shot.

Stanley
02-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Luongo is about to play the biggest game of his career. All the homers here like to quip about how he has never "made it to the big stage". I hate him as much as the next guy, but tomorrow l will be his #1 fan. If he wins...he stays in. If we lose...Canada goes home. The fate of out nation and the last 4 years rest on him now. Let's see what this guy can do. THIS is the biggest stage of his career. This now-elimination tournament will now define him. This will determine if he truely belongs among the elite. I for one hope he shuts the mouths of a lot of haters. Because all l care about is winning gold. It's now up to him to deliver.

No kidding, all this Canucks BS is getting old, grow up people it's Team Canada, I swear Flames fans are getting more stupid by the hour...

MelBridgeman
02-22-2010, 10:51 PM

Yes he did say that on CTV after the game.

Phaneuf3
02-22-2010, 10:52 PM
If he's going to be the starter for the rest of the tourney, I hope he cuts out the diving and whining crap and stops a ton of pucks. I'm not pleased that our hopes rest on him but the fact is that it looks like they probably do at this point so... all the best to him for the rest of the olympics and not one second longer.

Dana Murzyn
02-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Here's what he said (quoted from another board):
I made the saves. It was a tough game. They got some bounces and scored some goals, one goes off my player. I made some key saves I thought in the game to turn it around and we just didn’t take advantage of it. After the two breakaway saves I made in the second I thought maybe something as going to happen and we went on to take three penalties in a row and they score that fourth goal that was important for them.

flip
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Winnipeg. 1999. WJHC. Luongo played one of the best games by a goaltender I've ever seen and stopped 40 shots before we lost in OT (we were out shot 40-18). Against who? The Russians of course.

I know that was a long time ago but hopefully he puts on that kind of performance again in the QF (without the loss of course).

HPLovecraft
02-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Yikes, having read that quote, I am glad Luongo is playing in his place. He didn't even acknowledge the fact that he could have played better, and instead basically states it was everyone else's fault.

Stompin Tom
02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
You must enjoy being wrong about pretty much everything.

Johnny Canuck
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Winnipeg. 1999. WJHC. Luongo played one of the best games by a goaltender I've ever seen and stopped 40 shots before we lost in OT (we were out shot 40-18). Against who? The Russians of course.

I know that was a long time ago but hopefully he puts on that kind of performance again in the QF (without the loss of course).

Another great performance from Luongo on the international stage, was during the 2004 World Cup against the Czech who at the time were considered by many as a better team than Canada. Brodeur was down with injury and the game was a do or die. Luongo played brilliantly making 37 stops in the victory. Hes a highly capable goalie, and with a team as skilled as Canada playing in front of him, im not terribly concerned.

flip
02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Another great performance from Luongo on the international stage, was during the 2004 World Cup against the Czech who at the time were considered by many as a better team than Canada. Brodeur was down with injury and the game was a do or die. Luongo played brilliantly making 37 stops in the victory. Hes a highly capable goalie, and with a team as skilled as Canada playing in front of him, im not terribly concerned.

I hate him as much as the next guy when he's with the Canucks but right now he may be our best shot at a Gold medal.

If there is any goalie that can just take over a game and ensure that the other team feels that scoring goals is hopeless it is him. I don't mean he is like that all the time, but when he's in a zone, he's unstoppable.

3 Justin 3
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Was he expecting us to go on a breakaway with his baseball bat swing?

Johnny Canuck
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I hate him as much as the next guy when he's with the Canucks but right now he may be our best shot at a Gold medal.

If there is any goalie that can just take over a game and ensure that the other team feels that scoring goals is hopeless it is him. I don't mean he is like that all the time, but when he's in a zone, he's unstoppable.

Oh, I'll be the first to admit Luongo isn't "on" all the time.

However, IF he is in the zone for this tournament, I have zero question that we win gold.

Mayer
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM

Brodeur is clueless.

I can't imagine what this board would be saying about Luongo laid out a quote like that.

HPLovecraft
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Brodeur is clueless.

I can't imagine what this board would be saying about Luongo laid out a quote like that.

Yeah, that's a pretty disgusting quote from him. Blames everyone but himself... Wow.

Fairweather
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Oh, I'll be the first to admit Luongo isn't "on" all the time.

However, IF he is in the zone for this tournament, I have zero question that we win gold.
Somebody needs to get him and Iginla mad then. It seems their common feature is playing much better mad.

Johnny Canuck
02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Somebody needs to get him and Iginla mad then. It seems their common feature is playing much better mad.

If we could only find a way to direct him to CP. That should get him going... Or Just Get Mel to pay him a visit. :D

albertGQ
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

I actually thought he didnt play great that game. I think the media overhyped his performance. Sure he made lots of saves and won the game, but the reason he faced so many shots was his inability to handle the puck and his tendency to give up fat rebounds.

That was the game where I found out why Luigi always faced so many shots in Florida. Lots of it was due to his inability to control rebounds.

henriksedin33
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not cheering against Canada. I just wouldn't be as upset if we lost with Luigi starting. Plus, I can find a huge silver lining if we can blame the lost on the Nucks #1 goalie

Petty and just plain sad. Go cheer for the Czech's, they don't have any Canucks:rolleyes:

getbak
02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I hope he plays balls to the wall and so hard that he makes the Sedins cry in the semi-finals, and basically ruins their confidence while having nothing left in the tank for the rest of the NHL season.

I'm still not looking forward to the "Roooooooooutine save!" cheers.

twisted
02-23-2010, 12:05 AM

I feel the same.

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Hopefully Luongo doesn't crack down under pressure... it's his home ice after all.

Nuje
02-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Hopefully Luongo doesn't crack down under pressure... it's his home ice after all.

That's always a worry with Luongo when you ask me, but Brodeur's played his way out of the spot. Canada can beat Germany with sub-par goaltending, but if Luongo plays a great game, you have to ride him. I hate Luongo with a bloody passion when he wears a trout jersey (which is most of the time), but bowel movements, Rob Niedermayer elbow distractions, and 7uongo games aside, he's looked miles better than Brodeur in this tournament so far. I wasn't worried after the Swiss game, as one mistake is one mistake, but against the USA, Canada's D was stellar. That was inexcusable.

CGY12
02-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Put Brodeur up in the press box and dress Fleury as backup. Every single one of those goals was his fault but the first.

Tsawwassen
02-23-2010, 03:06 AM

That's always a worry with Luongo when you ask me, but Brodeur's played his way out of the spot. Canada can beat Germany with sub-par goaltending, but if Luongo plays a great game, you have to ride him. I hate Luongo with a bloody passion when he wears a trout jersey (which is most of the time), but bowel movements, Rob Niedermayer elbow distractions, and 7uongo games aside, he's looked miles better than Brodeur in this tournament so far. I wasn't worried after the Swiss game, as one mistake is one mistake, but against the USA, Canada's D was stellar. That was inexcusable.

Put Brodeur up in the press box and dress Fleury as backup. Every single one of those goals was his fault but the first.

Team Canada should start Fleury in goal. Luongo can be the backup. Luongo got pulled in his last game vs. the Wild and he looked awful as he was in his 7uongo form. Don't trust Luongo just because he is playing in GM Place. Brodeur and Fleury have Stanley Cup rings, Luongo does not.

Tsawwassen
02-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Luongo is about to play the biggest game of his career. All the homers here like to quip about how he has never "made it to the big stage". I hate him as much as the next guy, but tomorrow l will be his #1 fan. The biggest game of his career was game 6 of the conference semi finals against the Blackhawks last year. He blew it, remember?

CGY12
02-23-2010, 03:16 AM
At this point it would be a massive risk to throw Fleury into the fire because he hasn't suited up in a game yet and hasn't played in how long? I firmly believed that all 3 goalies should have got a start in each of the round robin games just in case either was needed. If Luongo falters tomorrow but we still manage to win do you have faith in him against the Russians? How can you throw in Brodeur now? You certainly can't start Fleury considering the situation and the fact he hasn't played in a game in 10 days. As much as I hate to say it we've backed ourselves into a corner, we have to ride with Luongo and I think he CAN DO IT!

Tsawwassen
02-23-2010, 03:25 AM
At this point it would be a massive risk to throw Fleury into the fire because he hasn't suited up in a game yet and hasn't played in how long? I firmly believed that all 3 goalies should have got a start in each of the round robin games just in case either was needed. If Luongo falters tomorrow but we still manage to win do you have faith in him against the Russians? How can you throw in Brodeur now? You certainly can't start Fleury considering the situation and the fact he hasn't played in a game in 10 days. As much as I hate to say it we've backed ourselves into a corner, we have to ride with Luongo and I think he CAN DO IT!

Luongo has also not played a game in the last ten days so it is the same massive risk to throw him into the fire. The wrong backup goalie is being picked to play. Fleury should start the big games. Fleury won game 7 on the road for the Stanley Cup. Luongo is a bigger gamble than Fleury.

CGY12
02-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Luongo played against Norway and is accustom to the surroundings and the atmosphere. I understand Fleury has won the big game but you have to take into consideration he hasn't played a game in awhile. Luongo hasn't won anything of significance in his career but he also hasn't played behind a team like the one he is behind now. We don't need him to win us any games like he does for the Canucks, we need him just to match the goalie on the opposite side of the rink. Pesonally I thought Fleury should be the starter from the start but throwing him in now would be a mistake.

Tsawwassen
02-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Luongo played against Norway and is accustom to the surroundings and the atmosphere. I understand Fleury has won the big game but you have to take into consideration he hasn't played a game in awhile. Luongo hasn't won anything of significance in his career but he also hasn't played behind a team like the one he is behind now. We don't need him to win us any games like he does for the Canucks, we need him just to match the goalie on the opposite side of the rink. Pesonally I thought Fleury should be the starter from the start but throwing him in now would be a mistake.

Luongo indeed played against Norway. I forgot to put a sarcasm symbol in the sentence. The 8-0 game in some ways was too easy of a game for any NHL goalie. Luongo got pulled in his last NHL game against the Wild. He was brutal in that game. I do realize that I am a Flames fan first and the NHL brand is the best. I enjoy watching this Olympic allstar tournament.

CGY12
02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
All though it doesn't seem siginificant, Luongo having played a game in that atmosphere and behind these players is important. Not having to learn another goaltenders tendancies is crucial for this D that is already hampered by some older bodies and turnover machines. I hear you though and understand your worries, as a Flames fan myself I'm fully aware of Luongo's past in certain situations. I do think behind this team it is a little different and believe he is very capable of holding the forte.

Tsawwassen
02-23-2010, 04:14 AM
I guess we shall see. Germany will supposedly be an easier opponent.

Huntingwhale
02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
The biggest game of his career was game 6 of the conference semi finals against the Blackhawks last year. He blew it, remember?

Sure do. But read the part where l said he is about to play the biggest game of his career.

bubbsy
02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Thank God Luongo gets the start. Brodeur made me wince every time he played the puck. I know he's good at playing the puck and all, but for F'sakes, just get the puck to a dman in the corner rather than ALWAYS trying to pass the puck forward.

AltaGuy
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Quite pleased with the goalie change. Team Canada's defence is too jittery and nervous to have a goalie back there playing the puck a lot and making questionable decisions.

Luongo will just flop around in his butterfly and stay in the crease. The less scrambles in the Canadian zone, the better off we are. Luongo's rebound control is also significantly better, which calms things down a lot.

Go go Luongo's pads! Bring us home the gold!

North East Goon
02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
He'll do great and earn a lot of respect nation wide by the time this thing is over!

valo403
02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Team Canada should start Fleury in goal. Luongo can be the backup. Luongo got pulled in his last game vs. the Wild and he looked awful as he was in his 7uongo form. Don't trust Luongo just because he is playing in GM Place. Brodeur and Fleury have Stanley Cup rings, Luongo does not.

Fleury has a ring but his numbers weren't mind blowing. As someone said earlier in the thread, by that logic we should be going with Osgood.

Cowperson
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Quite pleased with the goalie change. Team Canada's defence is too jittery and nervous to have a goalie back there playing the puck a lot and making questionable decisions.

Luongo will just flop around in his butterfly and stay in the crease. The less scrambles in the Canadian zone, the better off we are. Luongo's rebound control is also significantly better, which calms things down a lot.

I agree. Brodeur was always a very questionable starter over Luongo and seemed like he was granted overt respect for the past versus what he could do in the present.

Now that we've got that sorted out, we can get down to business and that business is gold.

Cowperson

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Fleury has a ring but his numbers weren't mind blowing. As someone said earlier in the thread, by that logic we should be going with Osgood.

No. because osgood isn't one of the three goalies to be chosen, so I am not sure why people keep bringin up a goalie who is not on the actual freaking team. No logic at all. As far as numbers goes, who gives a flying fack...numbers mean squat at the end of the day....

Kesler17
02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
No. because osgood isn't one of the three goalies to be chosen, so I am not sure why people keep bringin up a goalie who is not on the actual freaking team. No logic at all. As far as numbers goes, who gives a flying fack...numbers mean squat at the end of the day....
Yea who gives a crap because numbers don't mean anything when talking about players right :whistle:

Icon
02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
All I gotta say is... IF they crap the bed & lose tonight... he'd better let in 7.

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Yea who gives a crap because numbers don't mean anything when talking about players right :whistle:

numbers mean a lot to the normals...the poolies...agents etc.. so ya you are somewhat correct.

RedHot25
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
numbers mean a lot to the normals...the poolies...agents etc.. so ya you are somewhat correct.

I guess you are somewhat right; Brodeur's past numbers turned out to be useless for this tournament...

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I guess you are somewhat right; Brodeur's past numbers turned out to be useless for this tournament...

Ok well first of all, I agree with a goaltending change...but I think a lot of people are putting way to much blame on Brodeur, that 2nd goal was completely his fault and that is enough in my eyes to give someone else the chance...but 2 of those goals were redirects and the 4th one was a total breakdown by the defence and Brodeur was blocked by his defenseman from getting back into position - not saying he isn't at fault for the rebound or being out of position, but a lot of other things went down on that play. He made some huge stops on some breakaways. All i am saying is Fluery has big game experience and did well..Luongo not so much..but hey this Luongo chance and prob his last chance to prove he can pull out the big win (and by that i don't mean against Germany)

JayP
02-23-2010, 10:41 AM

"The normals"?

Wow. Someone needs to get off their high horse.

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
"The normals"?

Wow. Someone needs to get off their high horse.

No high horse, just reality, stats are for mass consumption. Does Iggy suck because of his numbers? Would he have the same numbers if he played in Washington...stats cannot tell the entire story.

JayP
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
No high horse, just reality, stats are for mass consumption. Does Iggy suck because of his numbers? Would he have the same numbers if he played in Washington...stats cannot tell the entire story.

And would Marc-Andre Fleury have won that Stanley Cup ring if he was drafted by Florida instead of Pittsburgh?

RedHot25
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Exactly. Which is the issue I have with your perspective, Mel. Take your critique of the numbers and just reverse it for the powers of observation belief. In my opinion it should be a balanced opinion, and you seem to skew things strongly towards your bias and to favour your arguments.

JayP
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Exactly. Which is the issue I have with your perspective, Mel. Take your critique of the numbers and just reverse it for the powers of observation. In my opinion it should be a balanced opinion, and you seem to skew things strongly towards your bias and to favour your arguments.

For example:

Kiprusoff gets pulled in an elimination game against San Jose - bad team defense
Luongo lets in 7 in an elimination game against Chicago - goaltending choke

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
And would Marc-Andre Fleury have won that Stanley Cup ring if he was drafted by Florida instead of Pittsburgh?

Who knows? Would Pittsburgh would of won the cup without Fleury?

RedHot25
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Who knows? Would Pittsburgh would of won the cup without Fleury?

That's the point.

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
That's the point.

Anyways this is pointless. I will say this regardless of who is in net, I don't think Canada's goaltending is good enough to win this tournament. Canada has top notch goaltending for sure, but US, Sweden, Finland and Russia have better goaltending, in my eyes, so even if Luongo loses, I am not going to blame this on him, cause I am not sure anyone else Fluery or Brodeur will do better, all I am saying in a situation like this its just a slightly bigger risk playing Luongo, because he hasn't for whatever reason played his best in high pressure, do or die situations, if this is finally his coming out party than that is great too, we can all party down 17th Ave and you can tell me I told you so.

JayP
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
That's the point.

Exactly.

Stats are apparently meaningless because they depend on the team you play for and the players around you.

Stanley Cup rings are apparently meaningful in spite of the fact that they depend on the team you play for and the players around you.

Pretty obvious gap in logic there.

subdude
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

GO CANADA GO!

Yeah, exactly, I'm a diehard Canucks fan but I love Iggy and the passion he brings to the game - his fight with Willie Mitchell last year was awesome, and the last game against the Nucks he actually shoved Luongo out of his way with a "###### you" look on his face - love the guy. I predict another hat trick for him tonight.

valo403
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Anyways this is pointless. I will say this regardless of who is in net, I don't think Canada's goaltending is good enough to win this tournament. Canada has top notch goaltending for sure, but US, Sweden, Finland and Russia have better goaltending, in my eyes, so even if Luongo loses, I am not going to blame this on him, cause I am not sure anyone else Fluery or Brodeur will do better, all I am saying in a situation like this its just a slightly bigger risk playing Luongo, because he hasn't for whatever reason played his best in high pressure, do or die situations, if this is finally his coming out party than that is great too, we can all party down 17th Ave and you can tell me I told you so.

I am nearly positive that you are lying through your teeth

opendoor
02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
The biggest game of his career was game 6 of the conference semi finals against the Blackhawks last year. He blew it, remember?

That's a pretty stupid way of looking at it. I guess Iginla's a choker because he couldn't produce in the biggest games of his life. Game 7 vs. Tampa and he couldn't even muster a single shot and he was a -1 and pointless in game 6. The two biggest games of his life and he blew it. See how stupid that sounds?

dissentowner
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Goaltending will not be the downfall of Team Canada, too many stars with no chemistry with each other will. In hockey chemistry is everything, that is how the Swiss almost beat us. Unless this team finds chemistry in the Germany game they are finished against Russia who also has chemistry issues but not as bad.

megatron
02-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I was pretty bitter about Iggy being demoted to the 4th line, etc. etc. and as painful as it will be to see 7uongo get the start (as a Flames fan), I want him and the rest of the team to do well (as a Canadian).

None of the Olympics matter as much as the Hockey gold.

I hope we run the table and Iggy is the MVP. 'Nuff said.

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Goaltending will not be the downfall of Team Canada, too many stars with no chemistry with each other will. In hockey chemistry is everything, that is how the Swiss almost beat us. Unless this team finds chemistry in the Germany game they are finished against Russia who also has chemistry issues but not as bad.

Chemistry was the downfall of 2006, that is why this team was built the way it was, to find chemistry

San Jose Line - should have chemistry

Getzlaf - Perry - should have chemistry

Keith - Seabrook - should have chemistry

So i don't think chemistry is that big of an issue...

heck Iginla - Crosby have chemistry...

But the issues with the above lines aren't chemistry...San Jose line..will their past history says a lot. Getzlaf and Perry are talented and exiciting, they just don't strike me as heart and soul guys...more selfish and lazy

Keith - Seabrook just aren't has good as everyone thinks...not playing bad..just inexperienced perhaps

I am not saying goaltending will be the downfall, I am just saying it has to better then the oppositions and I am not it will be

MelBridgeman
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I am nearly positive that you are lying through your teeth

That's nice.