PDA

View Full Version : Edmontons mayor whining about citys profile during Oly's comapared to Calgary

transplant99
02-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel says he has asked for a report on why Edmonton doesn't have the same profile as Calgary at Alberta's Olympic venue.

"It's a bit frustrating. Yesterday was Alberta Day and much more was pushed about the Calgary Stampede," he said Thursday.

Wahhh (http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Edmonton+angry+Calgary+star+Olympics+show/2583972/story.html)

Muta
02-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Hmmm. Maybe it has something to do with... the 1988 OLYMPICS BEING HELD THERE, THE LAST CANADIAN CITY TO DO SO.

Hey Edmonton.... Calgary got the Games, Vancouver got the Games... when you get the Winter Games too, you may join us in the upper echelons of the Halls of Olympic Fame.

Until then, please lie down and leave the promoting of Olympics-related stuff to the big boys. You may follow our lead and learn if you want, but please stand to the side and just watch. Thank you.

:D

TopChed
02-20-2010, 09:09 AM
What is so important that Edmonton has to go push at the olympics? "Come see our mall"?

PowerPlayoffs06
02-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Why don't they just do the honorable thing and concede that Calgary is the true Capitol of Alberta?

Locke
02-20-2010, 09:15 AM
He even admitted it, Calgary worked harder and spent more time and money marketing the city while Edmonton sat back, did nothing and expected to get the same publicity anyways.

They're like that ######ed kid in school who thinks showing up and restraining themselves from consuming paste in toxic quantities will garner them a sure spot on the honour roll.

fredr123
02-20-2010, 09:18 AM
From the article, it sounds as though Edmonton just didn't put any cash into promoting the city there. Calgary paid for the cowboy hat giveaway. Not sure what else.

dissentowner
02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Maybe because Edmonton is a scum hole?

Ducay
02-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Hmmm. Maybe it has something to do with... the 1988 OLYMPICS BEING HELD THERE, THE LAST CANADIAN CITY TO DO SO.

Hey Edmonton.... Calgary got the Games, Vancouver got the Games... when you get the Winter Games too, you may join us in the upper echelons of the Halls of Olympic Fame.

Until then, please lie down and leave the promoting of Olympics-related stuff to the big boys. You may follow our lead and learn if you want, but please stand to the side and just watch. Thank you.

:D

Hopefully this post was in jest?

I think Edmonton has an honest right to be a little cheezed. I mean, its a provincially funded event (including the "alberta-house") and the province should be promoted as a whole, including both our cities (and the smaller ones).
In all seriousness, you don't think we would be a little angry if there was little mention of our city and all people were talking about was Edmonton's Klondyke days and mullet mondays?

Seems like a pretty fair set of questions from their mayor, and it does seem like he understands that his city was a little reserved in their marketing attempts compared to Calgary.

pylon
02-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe because Edmonton is a scum hole?

You know, that pretty much sums it up.

/thread

transplant99
02-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe Vegreville should launch a protest as well then.

Looks like Calgary's tourism people put a little more work into things to assure a high profile. Good for them, bad for Edmonton.

Hammertime
02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
You'd think by now he'd be used to Edmonton's insignificance on the global stage.

JD
02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
You'd think the Edmonton Oilers would have put more effort into this too... maybe a big-screen looping their DVD in an attempt to drum up more free-agency interest among hockey players.

Art Vandelay
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/MattYYC/edmo-1.jpg

For some reason they didn't want Edmonton's latest Tourism Campaign involved in the Olympics.

FiftyBelow
See folks... lets put all the Vancouver bashing aside and hate on the city we Vancouverites and Calgarians should have been hating on in the first place... Edmonton. There, thats better. Doesn't it feel good? :)

Yeah_Baby
02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Shouldn't Mandel be more worried about finding funding for the arena they so desperately need?

Saint Troy
02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Maybe Vegreville should launch a protest as well then.

Looks like Calgary's tourism people put a little more work into things to assure a high profile. Good for them, bad for Edmonton.

This. I imagine the Edmonton tourism folks are rushing together a sweatpant and high top giveaway as we speak.

browna
02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Boohoo Edmonton. I like how the Mayor wants to spend the money on a "report" on why this happened, when if the money was spent the first time on being part of the pavillion properly, it never would've come to the ridiculous need for an official report.

Maybe the City of Edmonton is still paying off the city marketing $ spent renaming Calgary Trail to Gateway Avenue?

Guess the Mayor is following the Premier's lead on this. This is also the same Alberta Day that Honest Ed, more accepted in Edmonton then Calgary to begin with, decides its not worth the trip out there when bad weather delays him.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/02/17/edmonton-alberta-stelmach-miss-olympic-celebration.html

Not a big deal...Ed, maybe you can hop a province over later this year and make that hour long flight when freaking Olympics are held again in BC in July, right?

In any event, once again Edmonton's a day late and a dollar short and complaining about something they had just as much a chance to be part of. When Calgary's tourism organization outshines and outclasses the Edmonton counterparts, it must be someone other then Edmonton's fault, right?

Schmidtyboosh
02-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Maybe if Edmonton got the Olympics and the Alpine events were held at Snow Valley or Rabbit Hill, our Alpine team might have a shot at winning a medal......Just Sayin!!!!

Huntingwhale
02-20-2010, 10:43 AM
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/i/2009/194/3/7/cry_baby_cry_by_ashardamani.jpg

Matty81
02-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Seems like it's becoming a common thing - grimy crime ridden second rate places to live griping about the Olympics.

Maybe he can get together with some of the British press and agree on how foolish we all are to live in places like Calgary or BC while they are so content in their miserable crapholes.

Muta
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Hopefully this post was in jest?

I think Edmonton has an honest right to be a little cheezed. I mean, its a provincially funded event (including the "alberta-house") and the province should be promoted as a whole, including both our cities (and the smaller ones).
In all seriousness, you don't think we would be a little angry if there was little mention of our city and all people were talking about was Edmonton's Klondyke days and mullet mondays?

Seems like a pretty fair set of questions from their mayor, and it does seem like he understands that his city was a little reserved in their marketing attempts compared to Calgary.

Was a bit in jest of course, but also a bit not. Sorry, but Calgary knew what they had to do to market themselves. If Edmonton didn't, and they're crying about it, well, boohoo. Maybe they should have done their homework and stepped up to the plate. It really is a simple equation. This just sounds like sour grapes to me.

HotHotHeat
02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I think the most significant thing to come out of this is the knowledge that Edmonton still considers themselves to be of the same importance as Calgary. Edmonton is an afterthought when it comes to Alberta. Alberta day at the Olympics just followed that.

algernon
02-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Seriously, What is there to promote in that place?

Countdown to:

MoneyGuy
OilKiller
Jim_Shergill
etc's rebuttle.

The place is a dump, is colder than Calgary and has little going for it... except government to prop it up.

Blaster86
02-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Edmonton being advertised in my City brings my City's livability score down. True story.

Locke
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Can we cede Edmonton to Quebec? They were made for each other, a bunch of whiners with inferiority complexes.

Canada 02
02-20-2010, 02:02 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/moskalel/bye-byeoilers.jpg