PDA

View Full Version : Slovenia may sue Vancouver Olympic organizers

HOOT
02-19-2010, 08:05 PM
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Slovenia+Vancouver+Olympic+organizers+wake+cross+c ountry+injury/2587935/story.html

The Slovenian Olympic Committee is considering legal action against the 2010 Winter Olympics organizing committee because of inadequate safety precautions that resulted in a serious injury to cross-country skier Petra Majdic.

What sport isn't VANOC going to be sued for by the end of the games?

HPLovecraft
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
And Vancouver posters wonder why people are slagging on these Olympics? It ain't just CP.

CokeMachineGlow
02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
the olympics are going great , we're just being anti vancouver
http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/lusitan-265433-albums-new-jersey-housing-market-collapse-pic27887-iraqi-information-minister.jpg

jar_e
02-19-2010, 08:12 PM
More remarkable is she broke a bunch of ribs and punctured a lung and still got bronze. But with all events, all these tracks, courses, etc. have been approved by their governing body so its not fair to simply lay blame on VANOC (though that does seem to be the cool thing to do).

Its not like these tracks are randomly made.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-19-2010, 08:13 PM
If there were zero problems at previous Olympics, I would understand the sentiment. But I just can't buy into the negativity and I truly believe a lot has to do with the fact that it is 2010 and the amount of media, blogging and other methods is unprecedented. An Olympics has never been covered like these and naturally will be the most scrutinized. The two go hand in hand.

And all you CP haters of the games should get off your ass and come to Vancouver and tell me that these games suck. The atmosphere will be the legacy of these games in this city. Maybe not worldwide, but the locals are for the most part extremely happy! And this is coming from a guy who NEVER wanted them in the first place. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was loathing them, but I have since bought in.

jar_e
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
And all you CP haters of the games should get off your ass and come to Vancouver and tell me that these games suck. The atmosphere will be the legacy of these games in this city. Maybe not worldwide, but the locals are for the most part extremely happy!

But the world doesn't see the atmosphere or gets to party on the streets. They read headlines.

And I'm not trying to be a hater, I'm a huge vancouver fan and am on a plane tomorrow morning to watch the games...but perception is a powerful thing.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-19-2010, 08:17 PM
But the world doesn't see the atmosphere or gets to party on the streets. They read headlines.

And I'm not trying to be a hater, I'm a huge vancouver fan and am on a plane tomorrow morning to watch the games...but perception is a powerful thing.

Fair comment, I'm just saying that, as a guy from Vancouver, I don't see these games as bad as they are being reported.

browna
02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
After all this, finished 3rd and then showed up in a wheel chair to the medal ceremony dramatically, and now wants to sue.

Give me a break.

Likely wants to justify staying in Canada for a "trial", and then defect like it was 1987.

jar_e
02-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Fair comment, I'm just saying that, as a guy from Vancouver, I don't see these games as bad as they are being reported.

Nah I agree...there sure does seem to be a lot of criticism around the games...whether its warranted or not is up for debate.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
The atmosphere will be the legacy of these games in this city.
The atmosphere will fade soon after the games are over. Right now, nothing is popping out as a lasting effect the games will have on the city. For me, anyway.

JRunn14
02-19-2010, 08:24 PM
And Vancouver posters wonder why people are slagging on these Olympics? It ain't just CP.CP and the British Press...the two most negative media outlets on the Planet :whistle:

The Olympics have been amazing and I believe they will just get better in week 2. Looking like it could be one of the most competitve/exciting hockey tournaments of all time.

As far as a lawsuit...i'm fairly sure all athletes sign a waiver...I think VANOC should make all the venues into NERF worlds so no one gets hurt.

zamler
02-19-2010, 08:27 PM
After all this, finished 3rd and then showed up in a wheel chair to the medal ceremony dramatically, and now wants to sue.

Give me a break.

Likely wants to justify staying in Canada for a "trial", and then defect like it was 1987.
I dunno, seeing she somehow managed a medal even after getting a *hit kicking from nature, seems pretty likely that she would have won the Gold otherwise. Although exactly what would be accomplished by a lawsuit? Not a Gold medal.

JRunn14
02-19-2010, 08:28 PM
The atmosphere will fade soon after the games are over. Right now, nothing is popping out as a lasting effect the games will have on the city. For me, anyway.Those kids at the events...will find inspiration which will only have a positive effect on sport in the city. I've seen multiple stories of Athletes saying that watching the 88 games is when they decided they wanted to compete in the Olympics one day.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Anyway, on the topic, I can't say as I really blame the Slovenians. When you watch the video of this girls fall, there is a steep hill right beside the track that ends in a tree. I honestly can't believe nobody thought to either move the track farther away from this drop or put up a fence. Silly negligence on someone's part, and this girl suffered significant injuries as a result.

The fact that she won a bronze medal despite them is just unbelievable.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
When are people going to realize that accidents in sports happen?? It's the nature of the beast?? If a ski jumper broke his leg on a crash, would people be up in arms?? No, because it's part of the sport. The Slovenian was taking part in Cross Country Skiing. When I think of Cross Country, I think of people skiing in a forest, out in nature. Not on a controlled indoor surface. It's the wild, deal with the pros and cons of it. She made her bed, she should lie in it.

Organizers can only plan and anticipate so much. It's unfortunate what happened, but it's the nature of the beast. I would be shocked to see any neglegence on VANOC's part. It's sports. It's bound to happen.

zamler
02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
The Slovenian was taking part in Cross Country Skiing.
Sounds like She unwillingly became a downhill skier.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
When are people going to realize that accidents in sports happen?? It's the nature of the beast?? If a ski jumper broke his leg on a crash, would people be up in arms?? No, because it's part of the sport. The Slovenian was taking part in Cross Country Skiing. When I think of Cross Country, I think of people skiing in a forest, out in nature. Not on a controlled indoor surface. It's the wild, deal with the pros and cons of it. She made her bed, she should lie in it.

Like it or not, this is not in the wild. This is a controlled course, and some idiot decided to leave a dangerous spot unguarded.

There is risk in all sports, but that does not absolve organizers when their negligence creates an unnecessary risk to the competitors.

Hemi-Cuda
02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
so some Slovenian woman falls, breaks some ribs and punctures a lung, and she STILL medals? all while our Canadian favorites can't even reach the podium. that's a little depressing

zamler
02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
There is risk in all sports, but that does not absolve organizers when their negligence creates an unnecessary risk to the competitors.
They key word being unnecessary. I highly doubt any of the athletes enter races with the full expectation that they may slip and fall down a gully and collapse a lung or two. Yes accidents happen, within the confines of the sport itself, not some extraordinary event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or prepared for.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Like it or not, this is not in the wild. This is a controlled course, and some idiot decided to leave a dangerous spot unguarded.

So what, they have to have every single inch of the course padded or fenced?? How can you forsee someone going off course like she did?? You can't. IT'S AN ACCIDENT!!!

zamler
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Any kind soul have a link to said video?

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
So what, they have to have every single inch of the course padded or fenced?? How can you forsee someone going off course like she did?? You can't. IT'S AN ACCIDENT!!!

Now you are just being absurd.

Stating that it is reasonable for the organizers to fence a very steep and dangerous drop that is immediately beside the track does not imply in any mind but the most foolish that the entire course requires fencing.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Those kids at the events...will find inspiration which will only have a positive effect on sport in the city. I've seen multiple stories of Athletes saying that watching the 88 games is when they decided they wanted to compete in the Olympics one day.
That will only mean something if the venues are maintained, like in Calgary. The skating oval will be converted into a community centre after the games, in part because the facility would be impossible to maintain in its present form. Only in pork-barrel politics would it make sense to build a skating oval on reclaimed marshland.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:53 PM
That will only mean something if the venues are maintained, like in Calgary. The skating oval will be converted into a community centre after the games, in part because the facility would be impossible to maintain in its present form. Only in pork-barrel politics would it make sense to build a skating oval on reclaimed marshland.

It just means that any kids inspired by these games will have to go to Calgary to train. The inspiration should last regardless.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Any kind soul have a link to said video?

http://i47.tinypic.com/21ju4g1.gif

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
It just means that any kids inspired by these games will have to go to Calgary to train. The inspiration should last regardless.

I would credit the Calgary games for making a dream possible, not Vancouver for building a facility that its own engineers said would be useless as a training and competition facility within 10 years.

jar_e
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/21ju4g1.gif

That's not it.

HOOT
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
That's not it.

He's a Canucks fan. They're a bit slower than the rest.

bomber317
02-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Now you are just being absurd.

Stating that it is reasonable for the organizers to fence a very steep and dangerous drop that is immediately beside the track does not imply in any mind but the most foolish that the entire course requires fencing.

In this case, I have to agree that there should have been a fence.

It was after the apex of a turn, with a steep ledge/drop. It looked like a 4-5 foot drop.

I'm not saying you should fence the entire race, but a steep drop after a turn is probably the first place the fence should go. With the snow being on the icy side that day didn't help either.

It was amazing that she was able to continue and race.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=830383e8-15ae-4b1b-9cd9-c9de4110069f.html#raw+feed+majdic+crashes

I think that's the link, it's good if you're in the USA..... trying to find a canadian friendly link.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
He's a Canucks fan. They're a bit slower than the rest.

Look closely. You can see a lung collapsing.

Kybosh
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Look closely. You can see a lung collapsing.

He's right. I heard the air escape.

Phil Ivey
02-19-2010, 10:44 PM
LOL slovenia

Reggie Dunlop
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Worst games ever.

valo403
02-20-2010, 12:24 AM
The hard part here is that the snow conditions may have been really unpredictable. I don't know the course at all, but that turn may well have been a simple bend that became iced over unexpectedly, making a crash possible. That doesn't excuse the issue if such icing was foreseeable, but if it was due to the record weather conditions it could be sufficient legally. The degree of the fall does seem like something that should be fenced off though, even if the odds of a crash are really low a simple fence doesn't seem like too much to ask there.

pylon
02-20-2010, 02:38 AM
The fact she medalled, let alone competed with 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung in amazing. If anyone here has experienced a broken rib they know how painful it is to breath normally, let alone under excursion They should create a new category of medal for her, crafted of platinum, with a picture of John Rambo on it, and an internal cavity filled with Chuck Norris's blood.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-20-2010, 02:55 AM
It's not possible to get blood from Chuck Norris.

pylon
02-20-2010, 03:24 PM
It's not possible to get blood from Chuck Norris.

You have a point there.

Ice
02-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Give me a break.

You should read up on the country of Slovenia. Their citizens are allowed to come and go as they please. There is no need to defect. Slovenia is a democracy and has been since their citizens fought to be an independant country from Yugoslavia almost 20 years ago. They have a great quality of life, and while I'm sure Canada has a lot to offer, there aren't a lot of Slovenians thinking they need to find a way out. They live in a beautiful and very westernized European Country.

After watching that video, I'm pretty surprised there wasn't some sort of barrier there considering how close that small cliff was to the track.

shermanator
02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Found a link on Youtube. Where she fell was about 6 inches from the course, so not much room for error to be honest.

Not sure how to embed, but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI-qbDbdZz0

old-fart
02-20-2010, 07:04 PM
That's a ridiculous ditch to be right beside the icy track. Absolutely there should have been a fence there.

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Found a link on Youtube. Where she fell was about 6 inches from the course, so not much room for error to be honest.

Not sure how to embed, but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI-qbDbdZz0

SI-qbDbdZz0

Looking at that video, I think the Slovenians have a case.

Hemi-Cuda
02-20-2010, 09:30 PM
so there's a deep gorge RIGHT beside the track (look at the markers, you take one step out of bounds and you're in the hole), on a downhill corner, and no one even thinks to put a fence there? damn right VANOC should be sued for negligence, that's just ######ed

ricosuave
02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
but, but they have teal triangles to show that she needed to stop there!

wow, damn straight I'd be suing too.

Smell My Finger
02-21-2010, 11:20 AM
She probably will be awarded the Betty Fox or maybe its called the Terry Fox award by Canada to the Olympian that demonstrated perseverance.

Flame Of Liberty
02-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow that's one tough woman. Hats off.

And shame on the organizers.

NuclearFart
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Is it too much to expect "the best" in the world to be able to stay on a track?
VANOC should be putting up a torch-protecting-barrier along the entire length of the tract to protect these fragile athletes!

And shows up for the medal ceremony in a wheel chair after being able to win a bronze medal? Give me a break :rolleyes: