PDA

View Full Version : Toques during the anthem

killer_carlson
02-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Ok.

I gave Alexandre B the benefit of the doubt. There was a lot going on.

Maelle took hers off.

Nesbitt left hers on.

1) They look stupid. Years from now those toques will be known as a mistake.

2) It's always been rude to wear your hat during the anthem - ESPECIALLY YOUR OWN.

I love Nesbitt and i love Alexandre B, but someone please tell them to lose those toques during the anthems.

Nathan89
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree. I hate when I see someone with their hat on, at a Flames game. It's very rude.

Tyler
02-18-2010, 09:19 PM
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

Eastern Girl
02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
You don't like the toques? I think they are awesome. I haven't seen a Team Canada toque yet that I didn't like.

But yes, remove them during any anthem. I am willing to overlook this though, as it's a big moment for them and they probably aren't thinking about etiquette.

MRCboicgy
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I like the toques, I wonder if they are being told to keep them on. I've seen other countries keep them on too.

dissentowner
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I have always thought removing your hat for an anthem is stupid. How the hell is wearing a hat disrespectful? What if your hat had a flag on it? Would it not be more disrespectful to remove it? What about the mounties who bring the flag in that don't remove their hats, are they disrespectful? It's a stupid concept although I do remove mine just because I don't feel like taking flack over it.

FurnaceFace
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok, if taking hats off isn't necessary for some of you what's the opinion on standing up, or talking?

Here's one from the victory celebration last night. In BC Place the dumbarses beside me would stand when the anthem was being played in the stadium but for the last couple of anthems in Whistler they didn't stand up. Yes the atheletes weren't there and it was basically on TV but given the venue isn't that a sign of disrespect?

temple5
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
knowing the olympics its a sponsorship thing.

mikephoen
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Etiquette standards are constantly evolving, but most sources say that women dont have to take their hat off for the anthem.

I agree with dissentowner though, the whole thing doesnt make any sense.

Yeah_Baby
02-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I have always thought removing your hat for an anthem is stupid. How the hell is wearing a hat disrespectful? What if your hat had a flag on it? Would it not be more disrespectful to remove it? What about the mounties who bring the flag in that don't remove their hats, are they disrespectful? It's a stupid concept although I do remove mine just because I don't feel like taking flack over it.

It is just old school. Like when my Grandma wants me to take my cap off if we go to bunch at Dennys.

BlackArcher101
02-18-2010, 11:02 PM
I have no problems with it. In fact, I thought it looked even better. I never did understand the whole hat during the anthem thing.

FireFly
02-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Technically etiquette states that a female can leave her headwear on.

henriksedin33
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
If I were in that situation I would say theres a good chance I would completely forget to take it off, so I won't hold it against them.

kn
02-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I was also taught that women don't have to remove headware during an athem but everyone has to when sitting at a table although I've seen people who don't.

Where does this stuff come from?

jayswin
02-19-2010, 02:30 AM
I was also taught that women don't have to remove headware during an athem but everyone has to when sitting at a table although I've seen people who don't.

Where does this stuff come from?

Old traditions, so mostly old people. It's insane how mad some of them get. I went into a guys house for a delivery once and he had a 'no hats on in the house' rule, and me being younger, of course had no clue that such a rule would exist, and the f-er just berated me. You would think I just spat on his wife or something.

GirlySports
02-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Old traditions, so mostly old people. It's insane how mad some of them get. I went into a guys house for a delivery once and he had a 'no hats on in the house' rule, and me being younger, of course had no clue that such a rule would exist, and the f-er just berated me. You would think I just spat on his wife or something.

Aren't your hands full if you're delivering something? How can you take your hat off?

PowerPlayoffs06
02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Hasn't there been enough to complain about already? Really? Toques?

Ducay
02-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Etiquette wise I don't care

Looks wise, they're horrid. Giant coneheads.

Salt Water Cowboy #10
02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
is it rude because you've been told that its rude or because you actually think its rude? its the last thing on the mind of someone winning and being presented with a medal. If its that big a deal I'm sure someone would remind them before the anthem.

SeeBass
02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
It is just a sign of respect handed down from the generations

It is just like please and thank you, you guys don't know where those come from either, but you do them cause you are taught it is right.

Imported_Aussie
02-19-2010, 09:06 AM
here that canadian athletes? dont even think about working hard and winning gold if you arent prepared to remove all headwear when you get your medal and hear the anthem.
you have to remember what is important here!

Yeah_Baby
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
It is just a sign of respect handed down from the generations

It is just like please and thank you, you guys don't know where those come from either, but you do them cause you are taught it is right.

I say please and thank you. But I also leave my hat on inside. What do you have to say to that?

getbak
02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.helium.com/items/875849-etiquette-when-is-it-customary-to-remove-your-hat
http://www.openwriting.com/archives/2005/04/say_it_with_you.php
http://www.bcvc.net/hats/

As with most things dealing with etiquette, you can inadvertently make a statement through your actions/inactions that you did not intend.

When a nation's anthem is played, etiquette says that you should stand at attention, remove your hat (for men and women wearing a man's style hat, like a baseball cap), and either remain silent or sing along to the anthem. Refusing to do those things is often done as a protest and to show that you don't respect the institution being honoured. As a result, failing to follow proper etiquette can be interpreted as a protest, rather than simple ignorance of the etiquette.

Soldiers, police officers, and other people in uniform are not required to remove their hats during the playing of the anthem. I don't know the origins of that, but I would guess that's it probably because while civilians removing their hats show respect and reverence, a soldier's uniform remains in tact as a sign that the soldier shall remain ever vigilant in service of his nation.

You could argue that the athlete receiving a medal is doing so in service of Canada, and since the toque is part of the athlete's uniform, removing the hat is not required.

Ducay
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
You could argue that the athlete receiving a medal is doing so in service of Canada, and since the toque is part of the athlete's uniform, removing the hat is not required.

So apparently anything can be argued!

getbak
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
So apparently anything can be argued!
Welcome to the internet.

I didn't say it was my argument, but if you wanted to defend the athletes for not remove their toques, that could be the defence.

HOOT
02-19-2010, 10:42 AM
This thread proves we are people just like to complain about every little thing in this world. Can't we just enjoy the moment....just once?

Kipper is King
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I think they were boneheaded to leave them on. Isn't it common knowledge to take hats off during an anthem?

GGG
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I buy the in uniform argument.

Also this is a big photo moment so if you have worn the touque for the cermony it would look very odd pulling it off and holding it along with the flowers. It would ruin the image. So if the athlete shows up wearing a touque I think they should keep wearing it.

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Hasn't there been enough to complain about already? Really? Toques?

It's about showing respect to your country.

jayswin
02-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Meh, it's overblown. They're caught up in the biggest moment of their lives, and didn't think of it. Big F-in deal.

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
It is a big f-ing deal and there is no way that this wasn't thought of. I'm certain it was a sponsorship thing and they were told to do it.

I think it's bogus and if you were to wear your hat near me during the anthem, I'd gladly take it off your greasy head.

I'm utterly shocked at the posts in here. This makes me really f-ing mad to be honest.

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 08:45 PM

b.s. Recycling is respecting your country. Being friendly when in another country is respecting your country. Putting up a flag is respectful to your country. Removing your hat during the anthem is just a stupid old tradition.

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
It is a big f-ing deal and there is no way that this wasn't thought of. I'm certain it was a sponsorship thing and they were told to do it.

I think it's bogus and if you were to wear your hat near me during the anthem, I'd gladly take it off your greasy head.

Then I would gladly knock you out right after. There is no law on wearing a hat during the anthem, it is a belief by some, not by others. You have no right to play Mr. Patriotic policeman.

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Just because something is "traditional" doesn't make it a bad thing.

It is the most basic respect during an anthem to take off your hat and stand at attention.

Plain and simple.

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Then I would gladly knock you out right after. There is no law on wearing a hat during the anthem, it is a belief by some, not by others. You have no right to play Mr. Patriotic policeman.

Please. Save the internet tough guy talk.

I have every right to play Mr. Patriotic policeman, especially when someone is disrespecting the anthem.

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Just because something is "traditional" doesn't make it a bad thing.

It is the most basic respect during an anthem to take off your hat and stand at attention.

Plain and simple.

Please explain to all of us then how it is respectful to remove your hat? In what way is wearing a hat disrespectful? What if I think wearing pants during the anthem is disrespectful, are you going to remove them? It is just as ridiculous a concept.

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Please. Save the internet tough guy talk.

I have every right to play Mr. Patriotic policeman, especially when someone is disrespecting the anthem.

No, you don't. You have ZERO right. Go ahead and try it though sometime, you will only snatch someones hat off their head once before they plant you and you will deserve it.

jayswin
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm utterly shocked at the posts in here. This makes me really f-ing mad to be honest.

Haha, wow. I do take my hat off during anthems, but if for some reason I didn't and someone grabbed it off me, I'd probably punch them in the face.

Now I realize that's a moot point, because I would never not take mine off, but there's no law saying you have to take off your hat, and I'd be pissed if a stranger invaded my privacy like that, and would definitly react with fists flying.

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
again.

Just because something is traditional, it doesn't mean it is a bad thing.

It is and has been a long standing societal practice to remove one's headwear during the anthem as a general sign of respect.

Have you seen what lengths Japan went to over the way one of their atheletes disrespected their uniform? Imagine if he had done something during the raising of their flag?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/snowboarder-kokubo-barred-from-games-opening-ceremony-over-dress-code

killer_carlson
02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
All I know from this thread is that there are a bunch of unpatriotic pukes who frequent this site.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

jayswin
02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
All I know from this thread is that there are a bunch of unpatriotic pukes who frequent this site.

Oh the humanity!!!!!

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
again.

Just because something is traditional, it doesn't mean it is a bad thing.

It is and has been a long standing societal practice to remove one's headwear during the anthem as a general sign of respect.

Have you seen what lengths Japan went to over the way one of their atheletes disrespected their uniform? Imagine if he had done something during the raising of their flag?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/snowboarder-kokubo-barred-from-games-opening-ceremony-over-dress-code

We don't live in Japan though, we live in Canada and removing your hat during an anthem is not a law. For the record I do remove mine but only because people make such a big stink over it and I can't be bothered to deal with them. It has nothing to do with respect because I don't need to remove an article of clothing to show I respect my country.

HOOT
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Because some people think having left a toque isn't a big deal makes them unpatriotic?

Talk about dramatic!

amorak
02-19-2010, 09:13 PM
I am with Killer_Carlson. It's a longstanding tradition and by NOT removing your hat you are showing that you do NOT respect the anthem being played.

Now, on the other hand, I am sure these athletes are so overcome that it's simply an oversight.

I say its embarrassing when the athlete does it - but understandable - given the emotion they are feeling. I'll even buy into the 'uniform' explanation given earlier.

But when I see someone at say, the Dome with their hat on, I'll yell at them to take it off. Of the one or two times I've done it, everyone around has voiced their agreement. It is common knowledge that to not do so is a protest against Canada, and as a proud Canadian, I don't take kindly to that.

As my crotchety old self would say..."Show some respect, whipper snapper!"

amorak
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
We don't live in Japan though, we live in Canada and removing your hat during an anthem is not a law. For the record I do remove mine but only because people make such a big stink over it and I can't be bothered to deal with them. It has nothing to do with respect because I don't need to remove an article of clothing to show I respect my country.

:blink:

Actually, yes you do. That's actually the entire point of removing your hat - as a universally-accepted sign of respect.

JFK
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
What's the protocol on toupees?

HOOT
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Actually, yes you do. That's actually the entire point of removing your hat - as a universally-accepted sign of respect.

But who makes these rules? If someone told me they love Canada more than me because they would be more incline to remove their hat during an anthem I would laugh in their face.

If I saw someone wearing their hat I wouldn't open my mouth. It is their deal not mine.

dissentowner
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Fine then, I think it is disrespectful to wear any clothing during the anthem so I expect you to strip naked next time you are at an event. Sound ridiculous? So is the idea of it being disrespectful to wear a hat during the anthem. Somebody did it a long time ago and it caught on, big deal.

HOOT
02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Fine then, I think it is disrespectful to wear any clothing during the anthem so I expect you to strip naked next time you are at an event. Sound ridiculous? So is the idea of it being disrespectful to wear a hat during the anthem. Somebody did it a long time ago and it caught on, big deal.

I've actually heard it has more to due with religion respect compared to country respect. So God can see your face or some crap.

BlackArcher101
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I had no idea a country/anthem had feelings and suddenly turned emo.

JFK
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh damn! I was wearing a hat while reading this thread. Sorry to everyone who posted in here, I meant no disrespect, honest.

GreenTeaFrapp
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
What's the protocol on toupees?

Or merkins?

Barnes
02-19-2010, 11:45 PM
From the Federal Government:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a10

Playing of anthems at events

There is no specific rule as to when it is appropriate to sing the national anthem at an event. It is up to the organizers to determine if "O Canada" will be sung at the beginning or at the end of a ceremony. If two anthems are to be played at the beginning of an event, "O Canada" should be played first followed by the other one. When anthems are played at the end of an event, "O Canada" should be played last.

Etiquette during the playing of the national anthem

As a matter of respect and tradition, it is proper to stand for the playing of "O Canada" as well as for the anthem of any other nation.

It is traditional for civilian men to take off their hats during the playing of the national anthem. Women as well as children do not remove their hats on such occasions.

There is no law or behaviour governing the playing of the national anthem; it is left to the good citizenship of individuals.

So, not removing your hat and people are up in arms about it but every sporting event plays anthems in the wrong order and nothing. The Flames disrespect the traditions of the anthem every game! ANGER ON THE INTERNET!

Trade Iginla.

Fire Sutter.

Not a big deal. Traditions change. Take a Midol and relax.

Joborule
02-19-2010, 11:53 PM
From the Federal Government:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a10

So, not removing your hat and people are up in arms about it but every sporting event plays anthems in the wrong order and nothing. The Flames disrespect the traditions of the anthem every game! ANGER ON THE INTERNET!

Trade Iginla.

Fire Sutter.

Not a big deal. Traditions change. Take a Midol and relax.
Bingo. Eff the Flames for being unpatriotic!

Sounds kinda foolish now doesn't? If someone where's there hat it's honestly not that big of a deal. It's not hurting you, it's not hurting anyone else, and it's sure as hell not hurting the song or the nation. The fact you would hit someone over it is over the line.

Kaine
02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I guess I'm just a #$(& but I take the George Carlin approach to standing/saluting/removing head wear when it comes to national anthems.

If you don't know what that means look it up, you won't be disappointed.

I never remove my hat during anthems, I fail to see how that makes me unpatriotic or "rude", if it does in your someones eyes I more than likely don't give a damn what they think ;)

Hard to believe this toque thing matters one way or the other.

Kaine
02-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Perhaps not everyone agrees with your opinion? I find it equally as offensive that in a "free" country I have to listen to people like you complain about something that doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever. If it was hurting someone than I could see a case for argument, but believe it or not not everyone sees things the same way as you.

I don't remove my hat often, I must be a terrorist. I have several family members in the military of all careers, NONE of them make a stink about this yet on here some people seem to be losing it over this, thought it was an interesting point.

You have every right to think what you want, but you have no right to say say anything rude or attempt to force your ideals on anyone that does something that effects no one just because you disagree.

***Bah thought I hit the edit button rather than the post button, sorry about the second post back to back.

HOOT
02-20-2010, 12:24 AM
The Flames hate Canada!!!!

jayswin
02-20-2010, 01:20 AM

If two anthems are to be played at the beginning of an event, "O Canada" should be played first followed by the other one.

Oh CRAP! Look what the Flames are doing Killer_carlson! Are you as equally outraged at this "disrespecting' of the national anthem by those 'unpatriotic pukes' otherwise known as the Calgary Flames organization?

You better be, or else that would be a tad hypocritical.

BlackArcher101
02-20-2010, 02:42 AM
I laugh at the notion that a Canadian athlete, who is competing in an international event of high regard, while competing as a Canadian, battled through to get a gold medal. Then she can't wipe the smile from her face and has tears streaming down her cheeks upon hearing the national anthem of our great nation, while standing there with gold medal in hand dressed in Canadian drab.

But yet, she's disrespectful to the nation because she had a freakin hat. Good lord, she was OOOZING national pride and yet one little peice of fabric can apparently make a person think she's disrespecting the nation. Imagine if someone had said that to her while she stood there, she'd be shocked as hell.

Was she a unpatriotic puke? Hell no, but apparently what I described isn't enough to be patriotic for killer_carlson... all because she wore hat.

jayswin
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
I laugh at the notion that a Canadian athlete, who is competing in an international event of high regard, while competing as a Canadian, battled through to get a gold medal. Then she can't wipe the smile from her face and has tears streaming down her cheeks upon hearing the national anthem of our great nation, while standing there with gold medal in hand dressed in Canadian drab.

But yet, she's disrespectful to the nation because she had a freakin hat. Good lord, she was OOOZING national pride and yet one little peice of fabric can apparently make a person think she's disrespecting the nation. Imagine if someone had said that to her while she stood there, she'd be shocked as hell.

Was she a unpatriotic puke? Hell no, but apparently what I described isn't enough to be patriotic for killer_carlson... all because she wore hat.

It's old school thinking, an we all know old people are just weird and stubborn. :D

SeeBass
02-20-2010, 07:33 AM
I say please and thank you. But I also leave my hat on inside. What do you have to say to that?

Well it is a shame that you do not know all your manners then.

But I appreciate the fact you were interested in my opinion.

SeeBass
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I think calling out ones loyalty because they do not remove their hat is a little silly.

It is a tradition that I choose to follow and I do think less of somebody that chooses to remove their hat. I just find it disrespectful. But then again you are also supposed to place the hat over your heart too and I see few people, including myself, who do that so it is really all just degrees of respect I guess.

I would assume that the guys who don't remove their hats would find the guys who refuse to stand dissrespectful. So hopefully they can see where we are coming from when we don't like it.

Kaine
02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I think calling out ones loyalty because they do not remove their hat is a little silly.

It is a tradition that I choose to follow and I do think less of somebody that chooses to remove their hat. I just find it disrespectful. But then again you are also supposed to place the hat over your heart too and I see few people, including myself, who do that so it is really all just degrees of respect I guess.

I would assume that the guys who don't remove their hats would find the guys who refuse to stand disrespectful. So hopefully they can see where we are coming from when we don't like it.

The thing is a lot of us that don't buy into the old traditions and see nothing wrong with not removing hats are very unlikely to see anything wrong with not standing either.

Point is just because some see it as disrespectful doesn't mean everyone has to. I'm as patriotic as anyone and I don't feel the need to justify that by doing something I don't believe makes me patriotic just to appease a group of people.

As was said a few times, while I don't remove my hat I do stand simply because it's not worth the headache from listening to ignorant people whine about it.

The fact that this matters to anyone when the athlete(s) in question are competing and winning medals for OUR COUNTRY is just silly. These athletes have done a hell of a lot more for our country than anyone else has by removing there hats. Silly.

PowerPlayoffs06
02-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a hard time believing these die hard patriots stand in front of their barker loungers at home, hands over hearts belting out O Canada at the TV in their living rooms before every Flames game when the anthem gets played, tears glistening in their eyes. My guess is they only do it when part of a crowd because they don't want to be "that guy."

Geeoff
02-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I didn't even know that wearing a hat during the anthem was frowned upon. I guess I've never really worn hats... Well you learn something every day!

Technically, everyone wearing a hat indoors is being rude.

jayswin
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I didn't even know that wearing a hat during the anthem was frowned upon. I guess I've never really worn hats... Well you learn something every day!

This is the one that just baffles me.

HOOT
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Trust me my hat hair is more rude! ;)

SeeBass
02-20-2010, 05:03 PM
The thing is a lot of us that don't buy into the old traditions and see nothing wrong with not removing hats are very unlikely to see anything wrong with not standing either.

Point is just because some see it as disrespectful doesn't mean everyone has to. I'm as patriotic as anyone and I don't feel the need to justify that by doing something I don't believe makes me patriotic just to appease a group of people.

As was said a few times, while I don't remove my hat I do stand simply because it's not worth the headache from listening to ignorant people whine about it.

The fact that this matters to anyone when the athlete(s) in question are competing and winning medals for OUR COUNTRY is just silly. These athletes have done a hell of a lot more for our country than anyone else has by removing there hats. Silly.

Yes people who are annoyed at people who don't stand for the anthem are the ignorant ones:bag:
Perhaps one day when you comprehend the sacrifice that others made so you have the freedom to make your "ignorant" choice you may have no problem getting off your butt. it must be nice to live in your entitled head.
I feel sorry for you that you have no idea how fortunate you are.

let me guess wearing a poppy is stupid too

Kybosh
02-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Trust me my hat hair is more rude! ;)

Yeah, I wear a hat to cover up the ugliness of my head. It works out for all involved parties.

Kaine
02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes people who are annoyed at people who don't stand for the anthem are the ignorant ones:bag:
Perhaps one day when you comprehend the sacrifice that others made so you have the freedom to make your "ignorant" choice you may have no problem getting off your butt. it must be nice to live in your entitled head.
I feel sorry for you that you have no idea how fortunate you are.

let me guess wearing a poppy is stupid too

Let me ask you this then, and I don't want answers that are "just because" because those are meaningless outside of your opinion.

Why is not taking off ones hat rude? I have relatives that have as you said "sacrificed there lives so that I have freedom, why does the gesture of removing ones hat honor them anymore than say hoping on one leg while singing Oh Canada? What if I'm wearing a hat with a Canadian logo, wouldn't that be more rude?

Why is sitting during the anthem any different? Again how is it disrespectful to anyone? Why is it more important that others follow your traditions that may be meaningless to them than say appreciate our country and those that died for our freedoms in a way that means something to them? To me bringing flowers to my grandfathers grave who died in a war defending our freedom means something to me, standing because it's simply tradition is meaningless. I'm not saying I refuse to stand or never do, but I sure would be the last guy to say anything to someone who choose to sit. How do you know they don't have a better way of showing support?

I usually don't wear poppies due to the fact that I stab myself repeatedly more often than not however I do donate and spend time with friends and family that have served in the armed forces and fought in wars.

Your right I'm the ignorant one because I don't blindly follow traditions that hold no meaning to me :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for you that you have no idea how fortunate you are that you can criticize someone else's beliefs without consequence.

Besides as HOOT said, some of us are doing everyone a favor by keeping our hats on :bag:

***Fail at spelling edit.

Barnes
02-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Why are people still discussing this? I thought I killed it when I dropped a huge knowledge bomb on it.

Killer_Carlson's body has not been identified but he hasn't been seen since.

You must play anthems in correct order.

Stand up out of respect.

It is traditional for civilian men to take off their hats.

Those are guidelines and not laws like they have in the land of the free down south.

J epworth
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Ashleigh McIvor took her toque off!!!! Yaaaay!

Haha

flip
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Ashleigh McIvor took her toque off!!!! Yaaaay!

Haha

Good thing, otherwise it means that she hates Canada.

GirlySports
02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
She's been reading CP!

GGG
02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Why is sitting during the anthem any different? Again how is it disrespectful to anyone? Why is it more important that others follow your traditions that may be meaningless to them than say appreciate our country and those that died for our freedoms in a way that means something to them?

To me the standing part makes sense because it is about paying active attention while the national anthem is being played.

While the anthem is being played you should be singing or reflecting on your country not thinking about the hot drunk girl in the flames jersey in front of you or trying to chat her up or yelling oilers suck. The amount of attention (ie: repsect) you give it during that time is more important to me then sitting standing or how you are dressed.

I am not caught up on protocol but when the anthem is being played you should be paying attention to me one of the things in general that help people to pay attention and focus and remind them that something different is happening so I should stop my conversation is to stand.

I would also to the protocol police if you are busy getting angry at all the people sitting are you really respecting the anthem while it is playing.

Barnes
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Good thing, otherwise it means that she hates Canada.

Woman and children do not remove their hats as per the guidelines i posted above. She hates Canada.

PowerPlayoffs06
02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Barnes already ended this thread once. Why'd you have to go dig it up again? =P

J epworth
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Barnes already ended this thread once. Why'd you have to go dig it up again? =P

Haha I'm sorry, I thought it was a good laugh

Jaybo
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I take off my hat and I stand for the anthem but I still think that people getting bent out of shape over this are missing the point.

The sacrifices that were made weren't about standing up/wearing a hat/singing a song. They were so that people had the freedom to do whatever they wanted to do in a free and democratic society (within the bounds of the law that is - but not within the "generally accepted cultural guidelines".)

Everyone has the right to follow (or not follow) these societal mores as they see fit.

People who don't get that are the unpatriotic ones.

Kaine
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I take off my hat and I stand for the anthem but I still think that people getting bent out of shape over this are missing the point.

The sacrifices that were made weren't about standing up/wearing a hat/singing a song. They were so that people had the freedom to do whatever they wanted to do in a free and democratic society (within the bounds of the law that is - but not within the "generally accepted cultural guidelines".)

Everyone has the right to follow (or not follow) these societal mores as they see fit.

People who don't get that are the unpatriotic ones.

Said what I failed to do in a few post (minus the fact that I choose not to remove my hat as where you choose to).

Very well put hypocrisy afoot in some posters ;)

robocop
02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
This thread proves we are people just like to complain about every little thing in this world. Can't we just enjoy the moment....just once?

Where have you been for...... ever

GGG
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
A guy in Khandahar was on TV wearing a ball cap while the anthem played when Canada won Gold. Anyone here want to say he is unpatriotic?