PDA

View Full Version : Memories of '02 Hockey Gold

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I know all (or most) were watching the Men's gold medal game from '02, being as almost the whole country stopped for a couple of hours, then partied for several more. With all the opinions about the Vancouver Olympics and if their good or not. I figured I'd start a thread where we all (or most of us) can agree on. What are your memories of '02?

Q3b-OyqvsrQ

k1GBuVy7Jf4

I specifically remember the first American Goal, with the one player diving to push it ahead to Amonte.

And of course the last Canadian Goal, that was awesome, I still remember Bob Coles call of Sakic's goal word for word.

mykalberta
02-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I was in Athens watching this game at 4 am with my dad, uncle, and cousin. I think we watched the Spanish feed, I dont remember it being in greek.

And we woke so many people up they called the cops on us. Good times.

In classic Greece fashion the cops knocked on the door, asked us what we were doing then left.

The Mario between the legs was just magical.

flip
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
That first clip would be 1000x better without Cole blathering on like an idiot instead of just letting us listen to the fans sing O Canada. Seriously, I'm getting annoyed just watching that clip. That guy was always the worst for liking the sound of his own voice. There were about 5 different spots in that clip where there was a natural break and Cole should have recognized it wasn't all about him and just let the crowd take us to the end of the game. Instead we had to listen to him go on and on and on and on.

Luckily won't have to worry about that this time around with those awesome Bell channels.

My two most vivid memories are the Sakic goal to ice the game and Iggy's second goal. Yzerman had taken a total BS penalty for tripping or kneeing or something and it was actually just a great hit. I even remember remarking that he'd be pissed and would come out of the box on a mission. Sure enough he did and made that wonderful pass to Iggy.

transplant99
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I hosted a party for my American friends here in the States. I was wearing an Iginla jersey and some maple leaf boxer shorts over a pair of flannel sleepers and a Team canada hat. They hated me by the end of the day.

RandomDad
02-18-2010, 03:46 PM
One play that never really gets talked about was the save Brodeur made on a Hull one-timer. I think it was an awesome save. Can't remember what the score was at that point, but if Hull had scored things may have turned out differently.

Its around the 2:25 mark of the 2nd video in the OP. Its hard to see on the video, but basically Brodeur made the save right on the goal line.

La Flames Fan
02-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I was at Shanks south. That was the loudest I have ever heard a place in my life. I actually thought I might hurt my ears. It was awesome.

That Kariya goal, with Lemieux letting it go is still one of the greatest heads-up play I've ever seen in hockey.

flip
02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah that save on Hull was amazing.

I believe it was 3-2 Canada at that point. USA was on a PP with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and the game very much in question. Then Iggy scored right after Yzerman got out of the box and made the amazing move and set up for Jarome. Sakic's goal on the breakaway was with about 1:20 left in the game.

And RandomDad I do think it gets talked about more than you think. It could be the most famous save in Canadian hockey history.

The play that I think never gets talked about is Lemieux's miss on the wide open net, where he held his arms in the air in frustration after. If we lose that game, that specific moment would have defined his career. Not unlike Gretzky sitting on the bench looking dejected in '98 when for some reason I believe Ray Bourque was a shooter and the greatest player of all time was not.

Russic
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I was visiting my then-girlfriend (now wife) in vancouver and of course the only flight home I could get was boarding just as the game was ending. We watched the first two periods in a Chili's restaurant but I had to go through security to watch the third. It was so close that with 2:00 to go there was 10 people standing next to the door leading to the plane. I remember somebody saying "I hope they don't leave without us". From the back of the group one of the flight attendants pipes up "me too". It was good comedy.

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I was at Shanks south. That was the loudest I have ever heard a place in my life. I actually thought I might hurt my ears. It was awesome.

That Kariya goal, with Lemieux letting it go is still one of the greatest heads-up play I've ever seen in hockey.

Oh ya, that Kariya goal was awesome, how could I forget it, an amazing play by Lemieux.

RandomDad
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah that save on Hull was amazing.

I believe it was 3-2 Canada at that point. USA was on a PP with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and the game very much in question. Then Iggy scored right after Yzerman got out of the box and made the amazing move and set up for Jarome. Sakic's goal on the breakaway was with about 1:20 left in the game.

And RandomDad I do think it gets talked about more than you think. It could be the most famous save in Canadian hockey history.

The play that I think never gets talked about is Lemieux's miss on the wide open net, where he held his arms in the air in frustration after. If we lose that game, that specific moment would have defined his career. Not unlike Gretzky sitting on the bench looking dejected in '98 when for some reason I believe Ray Bourque was a shooter and the greatest player of all time was not.

Well I seem to have missed most of the talk then. I just think it should get as much talk as the Sakic goals and Iginlas goal.

Flash Walken
02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
"jeeeeeeeeeee-ooooo sakic!"