PDA

View Full Version : These games should have been in Calgary!

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Why beat around the bush and criticize little happenings currently going on in Vancouver. The real beef is financially speaking the COA and the IOC screwed up many moons ago and should have awarded these games to Calgary before our facilities become too run down. I am certain we could have turned a profit on this despite the enormous security needed in this day and age.

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Calgary will remain the sporting excellence centre for Canada. Vancouver's Richmond Oval is nowhere near the facility we have in Calgary. The Ski Jumps are being torn down, and their Nordic centre is nothing compared to Canmore. COP is upgrading their facilities to remain the top complex in the country.

Calgary will host the games again. Unfortunately, these failed games in Vancouver have pushed back our second turn by at least 30 years. Enjoy the rain, world.

Tyler
02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
5 days in and you're dubbing the games a failure?

Jump the gun a bit?

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
This is not a failure Olympic Games by any means, weather conditions effect every event both summer and winter. The problem I have is the waste of dollars lost if Vanoc ends in the red.

valo403
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
The COA could have put Calgary out as the Canadian bid city, it would have all but guaranteed that Canada didn't host the games, but I guess they could have done that. A city repeating as host in 22 years would never happen unless nobody else was interested.

Flamesguy_SJ
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Before the games began I was really looking forward to following them here on CP and seeing everyone's insights into the many sports and the excitement associated with having the games in Canada again and the prospect of finally having a Canadian win gold in Canada. I don't know what the deal is, but this place has been so anti-Vancouver it's actually starting to get pretty ridiculous. Those of us from the rest of the country get it: Calgarians don't like Vancouver; Flames fans don't like the Canucks or their fans.

It's frustrating to come onto these boards and see all the many threads about how shinguardy Vancouver is and how they've "failed" at something or other, instead of seeing more threads about the great events that are going on and the amazing things that are happening in Vancouver.

/rant

GirlySports
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes, if Calgary had bid, the 2010 would right now be in Korea.

You Need a Thneed
02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Richmond Oval is nowhere near the facility we have in Calgary.

Building wise, from everything I've heard, Richmond Oval is much nicer than Calgary's Olympic Oval. Richmond Oval also isn't going to be a speedskating rink after the games however.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
The Salt Lake games should have been in Calgary, after they uncovered all the bribes the IOC officials got. I think all their kids are Brigham Young Master Grads now.

So corrupt!

Fire
02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
The COA could have put Calgary out as the Canadian bid city, it would have all but guaranteed that Canada didn't host the games, but I guess they could have done that. A city repeating as host in 22 years would never happen unless nobody else was interested.

Innsbruck hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976, but l don't know the what competition they were up against.

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I love Vancouver, it's a great city. not sure how I am bashing them in regards to profit vs. loss? The 22 years apart argument makes a whole lot of sense though. What was the timeline between Los angeles hosting the summer games twice? Looks like it was a 52 year spread.

Yeah_Baby
02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
COP would still need crazy renos though. As I understand it the ski jumps would have to be totally redone in terms of scaling and the k point etc.

Joborule
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Calgary will remain the sporting excellence centre for Canada. Vancouver's Richmond Oval is nowhere near the facility we have in Calgary. The Ski Jumps are being torn down, and their Nordic centre is nothing compared to Canmore. COP is upgrading their facilities to remain the top complex in the country.

Calgary will host the games again. Unfortunately, these failed games in Vancouver have pushed back our second turn by at least 30 years. Enjoy the rain, world.
How these games a failure and why would it effect Canada chance at hosting the Olympics again when this would be their third time?

You Need a Thneed
^Yup, the Ski jumps at COP aren't big enough for the current Olympic ski jumping events. I suppose the large one at COP could be turned into the small one for the new Olympic requirements.

North East Goon
COP would still need crazy renos though. As I understand it the ski jumps would have to be totally redone in terms of scaling and the k point etc.

I think the ski Jumps would need to be totally re-located, because of extreme wind patterns or something like that.

Number 39
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I felt I had to chime in. I lived in Calgary from 1979-2007 and like most of you I have always been proud of the 88 Olympics. However, this is Vancouver's opportunity to be in the spotlight and we should be supportive of them rather than being petty. Yes, these games have not gone off without mistakes but globally this reflects on all Canadians.

I really enjoy the opinions of CPers but the anti-Vancouver games posts are getting overboard. You (as a community) are better than this.

Number 39

MelBridgeman
02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Innsbruck hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976, but l don't know the what competition they were up against.

Originally, the 1976 Winter Games had been awarded to Denver, United States, but in 1972 the voters of Colorado expressed unwillingness to host the Games

6FeetDeep
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Why beat around the bush and criticize little happenings currently going on in Vancouver. The real beef is financially speaking the COA and the IOC screwed up many moons ago and should have awarded these games to Calgary before our facilities become too run down. I am certain we could have turned a profit on this despite the enormous security needed in this day and age.
How can someone honestly call the winter games a failure four days into the games from their computer chair in Calgary? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Every event as big as the Olympics(which has gotten much bigger since 88) will have it's gaffes. The Sydney Olympics, considered by many to be the best Olympics ever, had many problems including bus drivers getting lost, a cauldron malfunction, ticket distribution issues, gymnastic equipment that wasn't installed at proper heights, and the rowing venues filled with weeds and disrupted by heavy winds. Kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it? I follow a message board dedicated to the Olympics and all of the international bloggers who are visited Vancouver have all claimed there have been a few issues, but overall it's been an amazing experience so far. There's even been a few people discussing if it will be the "best Winter Olympics ever". My family in Vancouver are telling me the streets in DT Vancouver are packed all day and everyone is partying all night. I would LOVE to be there right now.

Calgary had their Olympics, and this is Vancouvers. I'm sure when it's all said and done both will be considered to be great Olympics hosts....except here of course.

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
How can someone honestly call the winter games a failure four days into the games from their computer chair in Calgary? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Every event as big as the Olympics(which has gotten much bigger since 88) will have it's gaffes. The Sydney Olympics, considered by many to be the best Olympics ever, had many problems including bus drivers getting lost, a cauldron malfunction, ticket distribution issues, gymnastic equipment that wasn't installed at proper heights, and the rowing venues filled with weeds and disrupted by heavy winds. Kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it? I follow a message board dedicated to the Olympics and all of the international bloggers who are visited Vancouver have all claimed there have been a few issues, but overall it's been an amazing experience so far. There's even been a few people discussing if it will be the "best Winter Olympics ever". My family in Vancouver are telling me the streets in DT Vancouver are packed all day and everyone is partying all night. I would LOVE to be there right now.

Calgary had their Olympics, and this is Vancouvers. I'm sure when it's all said and done both will be considered to be great Olympics hosts....except here of course.

Cool, but I didnt call these games a failure...some people need to learn how to read.

Yeah_Baby
02-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I find CPs anti Vancouver and Edmonton bias tiresome. I get it, and you know what in the context of jokes its funny. But stuff like this is dumb.

Northendzone
02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
given all of the traffic nightmares and the fact that stuff is already expensive enough here, i am glad that the games did not land here in Calgary.

as mentioned above, there are always going to be glitches in events of this size - i'd like to see some ratio of the number of people who got to thier destination vs the one who were on busses that got lost.....

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Calling these games a failure is not premature, or over the top. Failure is just a word used to describe a lack of success. I guess it would be more fair to suggest that aspects of the games have failed, as it's not something that is widespread. Cypress, for example, has been a failure. The opening ceremonies had a fairly large mistake, and I would personally categorize the torch not lighting properly a failure.

The point is, these games have been problem riddled from day zero, and the problems have continued every day since. Weather may not be controllable, but it's certainly predictable. There's a reason the FIS stopped brining World Cup Downhill events to Whistler (I know, February is statistically a better month for clear skies).

Vancouver is just not an ideal location to host the games.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
By that argument, you would just be hosting the games in a rotating area of four or five cities. Would be nice for the cities involved, but if governments and people wish for it to move, so be it.

Even if the games end up in a small loss (and depending on who you talk to, Calgary's games may have as well), it is money well spent in my view.

Methanolic
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Just learned (from reading this thread) that they will be taking the ski jumps down? And won't be using the oval for speed skating?

I don't understand the thinking. Why wouldn't they keep these facilities for training and other events?

6FeetDeep
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Calling these games a failure is not premature, or over the top. Failure is just a word used to describe a lack of success. I guess it would be more fair to suggest that aspects of the games have failed, as it's not something that is widespread. Cypress, for example, has been a failure. The opening ceremonies had a fairly large mistake, and I would personally categorize the torch not lighting properly a failure.

The point is, these games have been problem riddled from day zero, and the problems have continued every day since. Weather may not be controllable, but it's certainly predictable. There's a reason the FIS stopped brining World Cup Downhill events to Whistler (I know, February is statistically a better month for clear skies).

Vancouver is just not an ideal location to host the games.Calling these games "problem riddled" is a gross exaggeration. There have been a few gaffes. Some, like the long lines at Cypress and the Zamboni issues can be fixed. Vancouver having the warmest winter in its history is something that really couldn't be predicted.

Saying Vancouver isn't an ideal location to host the games is ridiculous. Like said, from everything I've read from Olympic enthusiasts these Olympics have been great, and you can't go wrong hosting them in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Probably because Canada doesn't need two such training facilities?

The Richmond Oval will still be capable of being a speed skating facility if they so chose, but it's primary function will be to house two ice rinks and a high performance training area.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Cypress was a failure?? Ask Jenn Heil or Bilodeau if they hated the conditions?? Cypress will be the setting of one of the greatest Olympic memories in Canadian history.

And for the record, they could not have antcipated this weather. It has been the warmest February on record. It's not like this....EVER. Last year in February we had snow and cold temperatures. Christ, we even got snow in March. It's never like this. It's unfortunate, but you make the best of it.

These games are a massive undertaking and no games will ever be perfect. There have been technical, weather, logistical problems at EVERY OLYMPICS. Jesus, Vancouver is no different.

Oh and for the record, I work right across the street from the Olympic Village and would assume that I would have to deal with a traffic nightmare. Not so. I was at work in 15 minutes yesterday and today. Both record times for me. People in this city are buying in and taking transit to and from the downtown core. This city is embracing these games, this city is enjoying these games, this city is doing a great job of holding these games. Stop bitching and enjoy it yourself. Jesus.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
...and you can't go wrong hosting them in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

In all seriousness, I don't think Vancouver is anywhere close to being one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It may be up there on the North American scale, but most major European capitals put Vancouver to shame.

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
It's been a success in regards to finally getting that damn gold medal - that's for sure. The everlasting emotional feelings towards these games may hinge on Team Canada's performance in hockey fair or not!

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 01:47 PM
In all seriousness, I don't think Vancouver is anywhere close to being one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It may be up there on the North American scale, but most major European capitals put Vancouver to shame.

I think it's up there for scenic beauty worldwide!

valo403
02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Depends on your point of view I guess. If you were holding Cat B tickets for yesterday then I guess you're right. If you're a mogul competitor the conditions were ideal.

henriksedin33
02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

LOL, who pissed in your cornflakes?:boo:

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Gotta love how the Vancouver inferiority complex is coming out in full force here. Every Vancouver based poster still on the forum... like moths to a flame.

d_phaneuf
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Gotta love how the Vancouver inferiority complex is coming out in full force here. Every Vancouver based poster still on the forum... like moths to a flame.

its comical that you say Vancouver has an inferiority complex after you ripped the city in a thread saying the games should have been in Calgary

pot meet kettle

VANFLAMESFAN
02-16-2010, 01:56 PM

How about all the Calgary based posters holding on to their 1988 games like their balls. Apparently, the 1988 games were the best games in history and will never be out done ever by anyone. Calgary 88 is the gold standard, yadda yadda yadda.

Strangely enough, I never hear or read the same thing about 88 from outsiders.

Come on people. Let's enjoy the games and stop looking for reasons to nit pick on a city just because you hate their hockey team.

Vancouver 2010, Calgary 88, Vancouver 2010, Calgary 88.....LET THEM BOTH BE GREAT!!!

rockstar
02-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Jesus Christ.

Flamesguy_SJ
02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Pft, everybody knows that Vancouver 2010, Calgary 1988--hell, even Montreal 1976 pale in comparison to Saint John, host of the 1984 Canada Games.

opendoor

Why would people from Vancouver have an inferiority complex? I think you've got it backwards.

HotHotHeat
ANGRY Vancouverites. I'd be doing the same if people were complaining about the games being in Calgary. All y'all can say what you must about how beautiful Vancouver is and how Cypress (I think I'm spelling this incorrectly) was great as a venue, but the issues being raised aren't unwarranted.

The Yen Man
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Why can't Calgarians just just let Vancouver have their moment without trying to trash them at every little thing that comes up? It just makes us look petty and trying to cling on to past glory. The 88 Olympics are turning out the be Calgary's version of Edmonton's 5 Stanley cups.

Jimmy Stang
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't know why everything has to be so black and white here. You can still hate the Canucks while enjoying Vancouver as a city. You can reminisce about the 1988 games and still be happy for Vancouver in 2010.

BandWagoner
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
There shouldn't be so much hate for the city of Vancouver. From what I've heard, Calgary had some problems of its own to deal with in 88. Think about it now. If we held the Olympics, I think this chinook we've had would cause the same problems they're experiencing. We would just have to pump out more artificial snow.

Vancouver is quite a scenic city. Ocean on one side, Mountains on the other.

I'm glad another Canadian city got the Olympic games.

This increases the accessibility to Olympic quality facilities which should increase the chances of doing much better in future Olympics.

We can leave Hidy and Howdy in retirement for a little longer.

JD
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
So much of what is happening in Vancouver is happening BECAUSE of the '88 games.

Organizers have used the Calgary games as a model, just as all the other games in between have. Calgary's legacy was likely a big reason Vancouver even won the games in the first place... the IOC had confidence that Canadians can pull these events off.

Look at the progression of the athletes themselves. Canadian athletes have been more and more successful on the Olympic stage ever since 1988. Much of that is due to the legacy of those games.

And one of the things we can be most proud of, I think, is that nearly every demonstration sport rolled out in Calgary has become a full-fledged event of their own. Curling, short track speed skating, freestyle skiing, all events that have their origins in Calgary. It has made the Winter Olympics a bigger undertaking, allowing more athletes and requiring more venues.

The Vancouver games are bigger in almost every way than our games were. But we shouldn't look at it as them stealing our glory. It's the glory of the Calgary games spilling over and creating the foundation that the 2010 Games are built on.

As Canadians and especially Calgarians, we should be very proud of what is happening over there right now.

And most importantly, enjoy it.

LockedOut
02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
So much of what is happening in Vancouver is happening BECAUSE of the '88 games.

Organizers have used the Calgary games as a model, just as all the other games in between have. Calgary's legacy was likely a big reason Vancouver even won the games in the first place... the IOC had confidence that Canadians can pull these events off.

Look at the progression of the athletes themselves. Canadian athletes have been more and more successful on the Olympic stage ever since 1988. Much of that is due to the legacy of those games.

And one of the things we can be most proud of, I think, is that nearly every demonstration sport rolled out in Calgary has become a full-fledged event of their own. Curling, short track speed skating, freestyle skiing, all events that have their origins in Calgary. It has made the Winter Olympics a bigger undertaking, allowing more athletes and requiring more venues.

The Vancouver games are bigger in almost every way than our games were. But we shouldn't look at it as them stealing our glory. It's the glory of the Calgary games spilling over and creating the foundation that the 2010 Games are built on.

As Canadians and especially Calgarians, we should be very proud of what is happening over there right now.

And most importantly, enjoy it.
Calgary was also the first winter Olympics to go to 16 days.

BurningYears
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
There shouldn't be so much hate for the city of Vancouver. From what I've heard, Calgary had some problems of its own to deal with in 88. Think about it now. If we held the Olympics, I think this chinook we've had would cause the same problems they're experiencing. We would just have to pump out more artificial snow.

there was a chinook back in 88 and blustery winds, but if the olympics were here this year there would be no delays so far due to weather or if there were any it would be minimal and nothing compared to vancouver.

the conditions up at Nakiska have been excellent and the olympic teams have been training for a couple of weeks when not in whistler. even in the city here we still have natural snow on lawns so i dont think we would of had to worry about the 80cm base at COP melting. Im not too sure about canmore for cross country but judging by the ski hills surronding it would be in good condition as well.

Vancouver the city is good for olympics. Vancouver weather at outdoor venues not so much. It doesn't stop me from enjoying these olympics by any means and its a good thing our biggest sport is played indoors, well as long as they keep their green olympia away from the ice.

Yeah_Baby
02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know why everything has to be so black and white here. You can still hate the Canucks while enjoying Vancouver as a city. You can reminisce about the 1988 games and still be happy for Vancouver in 2010.

Exactly. I don't like the Oilers but I enjoy living in Edmonton.

The Yen Man
02-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Exactly. I don't like the Oilers but I enjoy living in Edmonton.

Now that's just going a bit too far... ;)

Pastiche
02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
There were delays in the Calgary Olympics too. Delays are par for the course in the winter Olympics.

Bunk
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
it was extremely warm in Calgary over most of the 88 games. This wasn't too bad of a problem for snow events since snow making could still happen at night when it was cold. The problem, if you remember was wind affecting the ski jumping and dust from the dry warm conditions blowing onto the luge/bobled track. I think the Jamaican bob-sled team felt more at home with 18 degree temperatures than they probably thought they would being in Canada.

Calgary 1988:

Daily high temperatures
Feb 13th 11
Feb 14th 5
Feb 15th 5
Feb 16th 5.5
Feb 17th 6
Feb 18th 7
Feb 19th 11
Feb 20th 16
Feb 21st 17.3
Feb 22nd 9.5
Feb 23rd -0.5
Feb 24th 15
Feb 25th 18
Feb 26th 18
Feb 27th 18.1
Feb 28th 13.6

Hemi-Cuda
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
i'm just confused as to why Vancouver was awarded the games in the first place. it is the warmest city to EVER host the winter Olympic games, and heavy rain/fog is not some unheard of thing for Vancouver/Whistler in February

people move there to get away from the cold and snow that the rest of Canada gets, just seems counter-intuitive for that region to host the games (i doubt you'll ever see Seattle host them)

Pastiche
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument there Bunk.

Dan02
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
These Olympics certainly should not have been held in Calgary, that being said as a Canadian I've been pretty embarassed by all the technical problems and issues with the quality of the ski venues. But this I blame on the IOC, they need to quit giving the Winter Olympics to cities which don't get winter.

LockedOut
02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Just read that the men's super combined is postponed cause of heavy snowfall.

troutman
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
These Olympics certainly should not have been held in Calgary, that being said as a Canadian I've been pretty embarassed by all the technical problems and issues with the quality of the ski venues. But this I blame on the IOC, they need to quit giving the Winter Olympics to cities which don't get winter.

Maybe the answer is to hold the games in mid-January, when average temperatures are a bit colder?

What do they call the Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemsiphere?

rockstar
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
"ɹǝʇuıʍ sɔıdɯʎ1o" ?

beachy
02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Apparently it is not just "irrational Flames fans" that think the Olympics in Van are failing miserably:
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=23469257

suggestions from British media that the Vancouver Games are among the worst in history.

Britain's Guardian newspaper carried a story on its website earlier this week, for example, with the headline: "Vancouver Games (http://www.bing.com/search?form=NWESCH&q=Vancouver%20Games&mkt=en-CA&adlt=strict) continue downhill slide from disaster to calamity."

The opening ceremonies problems, death of an athlete, high # cancellations/event re-scheduling, cauldron access problems, zamboni issues, transportation issues, spring weather (surprise, surprise), etc, etc. I don't know how anyone can deny the games 'so far' have been a failure.

I don't think they should have been in Calgary but I have always questioned the decision to have Vancouver as the site of the 'winter' Olympics.

flames_fan_down_under
02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Apparently it is not just "irrational Flames fans" that think the Olympics in Van are failing miserably:
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=23469257

The opening ceremonies problems, death of an athlete, high # cancellations/event re-scheduling, cauldron access problems, zamboni issues, transportation issues, spring weather (surprise, surprise), etc, etc. I don't know how anyone can deny the games 'so far' have been a failure.

I don't think they should have been in Calgary but I have always questioned the decision to have Vancouver as the site of the 'winter' Olympics.

Sensationalistic over the top British media, what a shock!

Every Olympics encounters problems. Seriously, every single one.

People are complaining non stop about the weather, Beijing's air quality was atrocious during the entire Summer Olympics.

In Atlanta players were constantly getting lost by the athlete transports. Not to mention the bomb that exploded.

In Sydney they have a massive 80,000 person stadium that barely gets use.

Salt Lake City bribing IOC officials.

Munich.

The loss of Nodar was tragic, yes, beyond that it's a broken down Zamboni, some lost ticket revenue, and some warm weather.

Igottago
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
^^The British media? They bitch and moan about everything because they can't win.

I grew up in Calgary and I live in Vancouver. There are things I don't like about Vancouver (the Canucks being top of the list). But those people grasping at anything to demonstrate these Olympics as a "failure" are quite pathetic.

From what I've experienced, the city has had a great atmosphere, people are having a lot of fun, there is loads of fun activities and shows happening, traffic congestion has not been a massive issue, and the events are happening.

Tonight I will be going to watch the Canada game at a pub with co-workers and after that I'll be walking over to GM Place to catch the Russia game live. I might actually have some fun in these "failing" Olympic games.

Bottom line, if you think these Olympics suck so bad, maybe you should do something better with your time than watch the hockey tonight. No need to participate in such a crap event. Enjoy "Lost" or whatever else is on tonight.

The Yen Man
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I find British people love to make a stink whenever they can in order to feel better about themselves. Knowing the British media, I bet they take glee in trashing Canada as much as possible so they look better when they host the 2012 games. That's just how the Brits roll.

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Calling these games ''failed'' this early is beyond stupid.

-TC-
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Calgary had a turn with the winter olympics

Vancouver is a beautiful venue for the olympics, the weather is unseasonably warm there right now, that's just bad luck. the issues with the opening ceremonies were embarrassing but there is only so much risk you can mitigate, the zamboni stuff was, it appears, to be a failure in attention to detail...stuff happens.

It's not a failure by a long stretch

grambo
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM

I'm sorry but the venue for the alpine events (Whistler) has the best and most exciting downhill/super-G course in Canada, with the downhill being a marquee event for the winter games. Weather is always an issue there (which is one reason why they stopped having FIS World Cup events for a while), but it is being managed through the 16 days.

Calgary and Vancouver are the only two cities in Canada that could host the winter games, and I'm happy to see it in Vancouver. The downhill yesterday was awesome (and we should be proud of Guay for finishing 5th, super tight race), men's moguls was epic, exciting 500M speed skate last night (aside from the ice problems).

Also I want to note the online streaming coverage is awesome, very good quality video/audio with zero buffering issues, they must be spending a ton on bandwidth.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
its comical that you say Vancouver has an inferiority complex after you ripped the city in a thread saying the games should have been in Calgary

pot meet kettle

Rofl. I made four posts so far.

The first called into question the idea of repeating host cities, and saying Vancouver deserves its shot.

The second was informational on the future of the Richmond Olympic oval.

The third questioned whether Vancouver was "as beautiful" as many European cities with real history.

The fourth ripped the Vancouver posters rushing to convince themselves their city is good.

If you think calling Vancouver one of the better looking cities in North America, but not the best in the world is "ripping" Vancouver, then the only thing you have done is proven my argument for me.

Thanks.

Textcritic
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I live close to Vancouver and I love living here. I'm thrilled that Canada has now had the opportunity to once again host an Olympic games, and feel privileged to have lived in close proximity to two such events now.

Having said that, I do believe that Vancouver was something of an odd choice, but certainly not unprecedented. While I think it is great that the Olympic games are here, I do not believe that Vancouver presents the best venues for the games in large part because of its climate and geography. It is similar to Nagano in that regard—but this will not diminish the fact that the 2010 Olympics will be remembered as a huge success and a triumph for this city and this country. I believe the best choice for the Winter Olympics is always a city that showcases the best elements of winter; i.e. snow and ice. It's the same reason why I believe that warmer cities are also better choices to host the summer games. Personally, I thought the Games should go to QC, which I feel has the potential to be another Lillehammer as an Olympic host city.

I expect that the next Canadian city to host the Winter Olympics will likely be Quebec, and that the games will return to Calgary at some point after that.

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
It seems to me that there are some people on here who want these games to fail because they don't like internet Canucks fans.

That's pretty sad. These games have nothing to do with the Canucks or their stupid fans.

MelBridgeman
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
This kind of sounds like what is said in Vancouver every year...

" The cup should of been ours!!! :("

Phil Ivey
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm loving the atmosphere downtown. Beautiful weather..everyone is coming out wearing their Red & White or whatever country they're from.

Vancouver is regarded as one of the top cities in the world and with the beautiful scenery here I'm not suprised of the jealousy. Whatever, at least were winning gold medals here.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
It seems to me that there are some people on here who want these games to fail because they don't like internet Canucks fans.

Honestly, I don't think it is a case of "wanting" the games to fail, but "expecting" there to be issues.

Concerns over weather and protesters were identified years ago, and unfortunately have come to pass.

The GREEN! Olympia machine is just hilarious bad luck. The cauldron failure was comical. The only outright failure from VANOC was the design of the luge/bobsled track and the inability to deal with safety concerns raised until after someone lost their life. But hell, Calgary could easily have suffered the same fate - Chinook winds sent a ski jumper into a camera bay.

Overall, I think the commentary is teasing as much as anything else. But, as the ESPN article showed, a lot of us have great difficulty laughing at ourselves.

Igottago
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM

That's pretty sad. These games have nothing to do with the Canucks or their stupid fans.

Agreed. Some of these people also dont realize that the games don't belong to Vancouver alone, it is Canada that's hosting them. To have that much hostility for something that all Canadians should be excited about is pretty sad.

I get wrapped up in hockey and sports rivalries as much as anyone, but when you can't turn that switch off at the appropriate times, you have issues.

cheevers
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I know its crazy but it is possible to not only love Calgary and the Flames, but at the same time hate the Canucks but love Vancouver. Its a beautiful city, the olympics have been fantastic with the exception of the luge incident and people should quit whining and enjoy the fact that the olympics are in a Canadian city in close proximity. Something that will likely not happen in for atleast another 30 years.

Meers
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
This thread strikes me as not only a tad negative, but asking for a rhetorical s**t kicking. To wit:

Calgary 1988 Games: 0 Canadian gold medals

Vancouver 2010 Games: 2 Canadian gold medals (and counting).

Yeah, so I could see how you could characterise the 2010 Games as a failure. If, that is, you were from Norway, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands or any of the 11 countries that out-medaled Canada in 1988 . . .

Could it be that Calgary's olympic crowds - like some CP posters - were so negative that it discouraged Canada's athletes in 1988?

I won't answer that question. Instead, I'll simply thank Vancouverites for having been so positive and supportive of Canada's athletes.

Diet Water
02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
This thread strikes me as not only a tad negative, but asking for a rhetorical s**t kicking. To wit:

Yeah, so I could see how you could characterise the 2010 Games as a failure. If, that is, you were from Norway, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands or any of the 11 countries that out-medaled Canada in 1988 . . .

Could it be that Calgary's olympic crowds - like some CP posters - were so negative that it discouraged Canada's athletes in 1988?

I won't answer that question. Instead, I'll simply thank Vancouverites for having been so positive and supportive of Canada's athletes.

Dumbest post in a dumb thread, good for you.

grambo
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I live close to Vancouver and I love living here. I'm thrilled that Canada has now had the opportunity to once again host an Olympic games, and feel privileged to have lived in close proximity to two such events now.

Having said that, I do believe that Vancouver was something of an odd choice, but certainly not unprecedented. While I think it is great that the Olympic games are here, I do not believe that Vancouver presents the best venues for the games in large part because of its climate and geography. It is similar to Nagano in that regard—but this will not diminish the fact that the 2010 Olympics will be remembered as a huge success and a triumph for this city and this country. I believe the best choice for the Winter Olympics is always a city that showcases the best elements of winter; i.e. snow and ice. It's the same reason why I believe that warmer cities are also better choices to host the summer games. Personally, I thought the Games should go to QC, which I feel has the potential to be another Lillehammer as an Olympic host city.

I expect that the next Canadian city to host the Winter Olympics will likely be Quebec, and that the games will return to Calgary at some point after that.

Hell no, QC does not have a legit downhill course. Really, Calgary and Vancouver are the only choices as they are the only cities close (<200km) to a real downhill course. As for quality of the city, I grew up Calgary, 25/28 years there and love the place, but I think Vancouver is a better city to live in. Calgary has the upper hand with the economy/job market though. Vancouver bashing in this thread is comical.

Hemi-Cuda
02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
that head VANOC official that CTV just had on seemed a little stubborn. zero contingency plans to move events from Cypress if the weather issues get worse (and they will, with record temperatures forecast), and he just seemed unprepared for these weather issues that seemingly everyone else in Canada expected. sure this is a warmer than normal winter for Vancouver, but even their worst winters are still mild in comparison with the rest of the country

the golden rule for any event is to prepare for the worst, hope for the best. VANOC (note: blaming the organizers, not the city) knew exactly what they were getting into when they put in the original bid for the games, and their lack of preparedness so far is just sad

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm going to enjoy you. Please post more.

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

This argument was incredibly predictable, so you get 1/10 for trolling.

The overwhelming majority of medals Canada has won from 1992 until today can trace their success directly back to Calgary's games, the legacy of the elite training facilities and programs that it generated, and the fact that many of the newest sports (the ones Canada medals in) were first demonstrated in Calgary.

While many of the facilities for Vancouver will be repurposed after these games, with luck, the Vancouver games will provide an additional boost into the future.

Hemi-Cuda
02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
plus we had a Jamaican bobsled team. Vancouver can boast all they want, they'll never be as cool as Cool Runnings

shermanator
02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
plus we had a Jamaican bobsled team. Vancouver can boast all they want, they'll never be as cool as Cool Runnings

This Olympics does have Ethiopian and Kenyan cross country skiers though. Kinda cool...

Resolute 14
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
And, hell, ###### Bagg-Smith managed to unite Calgarians and Vancouverites for a while. That has to count for something too!

krazycanuck
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
The start of these games has been...in a word: rough. however, it's also a 16 day event.

Calling the Vancouver games a failure 5 days in, would be the equivalent of calling an NHL team's season a failure at game 25. Most certainly you can't bestow the title of "worst games ever" less than a week in. There will be a time to judge the successes and failures of VANOC, now is not that time. Just sit back and enjoy.

vicphoenix13
02-17-2010, 12:42 AM
The reason Vancouver was a good choice for the Olympics is because of the venues that are already there. Nobody talks about the money they saved by having BC Place, GM Place and the Pacific Coliseum already in place. Imagine one of those small towns in Europe or Asia that often host the games trying to build facilities like that.

On another note, I hope those ######bag columnists in Britain who keep taking shots at Vancouver are ready for the scrutiny London 2012 is going to get. It has been reported that the London Summer Olympics are going to cost 10 times as much as originally projected. And lets not forget the stories about how disgusting the east end of London is.

driveway
02-17-2010, 01:28 AM

On another note, I hope those ######bag columnists in Britain who keep taking shots at Vancouver are ready for the scrutiny London 2012 is going to get. It has been reported that the London Summer Olympics are going to cost 10 times as much as originally projected. And lets not forget the stories about how disgusting the east end of London is.

Not to mention the fact that the London 2012 logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing fellatio:

http://www.fubra.com/london2012/images/london_2012_logo.png

What has been seen cannot be unseen!

Winsor_Pilates
02-17-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't hear anything about the Olympics being a bust until I log on to CP. This city is on fire right now and it is an amazing experience. I have been out every day and night of the games and have had and amazing time everywhere.
I wish some of you haters could be here to experience how great it is right now.

OldDutch
02-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Count me in the group against "Own the Podium". This program has done nothing but ratchet up the pressure on everything about these games. It has put out an atmosphere of competition on everything about these games:

1. Constantly remind people that no one won gold in Calgary or Montreal. Like that counts as a measure of success in hosting a games?

2. Questionable ethics used to block other countries from using our venues to practice.

3. All round make it clear that if we do not win the medal count these games are a failure in some way.

When did Canadians become like this? This hyper competitive nature is something out of a US games. It has nothing to do with Vancouver, or the great city it is. It all got so politicized so fast, now everyone is fighting with each other, over stupid things like gold medal counts. How sad.

Resolute 14
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Personally, I like it. Historically, Canada has defined mediocrity as being good enough on the international sporting stage. There is no shame in wanting to win, or in trying to win.

As far as the Brits go, the Canadian papers are fighting back:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/2010wintergames/Gold+whining+goes+British+reporters/2575644/story.html

Bill Bumface
02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Personally, I like it. Historically, Canada has defined mediocrity as being good enough on the international sporting stage. There is no shame in wanting to win, or in trying to win.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/2010wintergames/Gold+whining+goes+British+reporters/2575644/story.html

Hahaha
"London will be worse. It will also be dirtier, smellier, and have worse teeth," howled one offended Canuck.
"Just because you long ago abandoned any ambitions in the world -- or for that matter basic sense of identity or dignity -- and became a lethargic nation of elitist whiners who no one really likes, don't fault those younger nations who do enjoy and embrace life," snapped another.

Perhaps it's a genetic disposition. After all, Utrecht University in the Netherlands recently found 40 per cent of British men suffer from a premature tendency which, unfortunately for them and their partners, is medically defined as an inability to last more than a minute in bed.

FurnaceFace
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Enjoy the rain, world.

Rain? What's that? It's been bright, sunny and 10+ degrees the last two days with a forecast of nothing but sun.

Today Sunny with cloudy periods. Fog patches dissipating early this morning. High 12.
Tonight A few clouds. Low plus 1.
Thursday Sunny. High 10 except 14 inland.
Friday Sunny. Low plus 2. High 10 except 15 inland.
Saturday Sunny. Low plus 2. High 10 except 15 inland.
Sunday Sunny. Low plus 1. High 10 except 14 inland.
Monday A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 5. High 10.
Tuesday Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low plus 3. High 10.

Russic
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Every Olympic city has problems during the games. I'm sure these problems are more glaring to people who hate Vancouver, and CP is a breeding ground for those types of people.

The death of the luger is of course the biggest black eye on these games, but everything else is relatively minor. It's easy to forget about the problems of past Olympic events when they happen every couple of years.

North East Goon
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I feel bad for starting this thread. It has become a bash/dont bash fest of the city of Vancouver. My apologies, I am one Canadian who is very proud to have these games in Canada, my argument was strictly from a financial standpoint these games should be in Calgary, it seems like such a waste of money spending on all this new infrastructure an hour flight away from a center that has this in place. I apologize to all that are offended by this thread, these games are already a success psycholigically for Canadians (Two gold medals and counting) and will be fondly remembered if we can get that Mens Hockey gold medal.

bubbsy
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Not sure this is the right thread, but here's a globe and mail article about the bad press vancouver has been getting for these olympics:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=43691.html?cid=rssrsn

Yeah_Baby
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I feel bad for starting this thread. It has become a bash/dont bash fest of the city of Vancouver. My apologies, I am one Canadian who is very proud to have these games in Canada, my argument was strictly from a financial standpoint these games should be in Calgary, it seems like such a waste of money spending on all this new infrastructure an hour flight away from a center that has this in place. I apologize to all that are offended by this thread, these games are already a success psycholigically for Canadians (Two gold medals and counting) and will be fondly remembered if we can get that Mens Hockey gold medal.

I think it is one of the biggest mistake we as Canadian sports fan can make by tying the perceived success of these Olympics on the Men's Hockey. Oh and your financial argument is kinda bunk considering all the renos that would have had to be done to the 'existing infrastructure'.

North East Goon
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I think it is one of the biggest mistake we as Canadian sports fan can make by tying the perceived success of these Olympics on the Men's Hockey. Oh and your financial argument is kinda bunk considering all the renos that would have had to be done to the 'existing infrastructure'.

I agree the Turin games were a huge success, but many view it as a failure. Just the way it goes.

Stats87
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
The British papers just seem to be ripping Vancouver as a way to protect themselves for London 2012. If they constantly write how bad Vancouver's Olympics are, then if theirs suck they can say "at least it wasn't as bad as 2010"

Meers
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM

A good laugh from Martin. Well done sir.

We can't really expect much journalistic ethics from the English. After all, they made Conrad Black a peer after he was forced to relinquish his Canadian citizenship.

(So, is it still correct to call him Baron Black of Crossharbour? Or is the proper etiquette to call him Baron Black of the Coleman Federal Correctional Complex?)

MrMastodonFarm
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Guys, I think we need to calm down a little... yes it's fun to rag on Vancouver, and yes there have been mistakes but that happens, it happens in every Olympics games. These huge events don't happen every two years (Summer and Winter) without one or two or several things going wrong.

Torino had major weather issues to start and several Apline events were postponed. The 2006 Torino games also had major problems with their Metro transit system, by all reports it was a complete mess and totally inadquate throughout the games, it wasn't even totally finish until almost a year AFTER the games.

Hell, the Torino games also had a major threat of Bankrupcy before they ever started...

Give Vancouver a break, these things happen... but years later all we remember is the Alexander Biladou's, The Heils, and all the events and moments and forget the crappy stuff along the way.

Jetsfan
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Not to mention the fact that the London 2012 logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing fellatio:

You British think your soooo superior...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3780867344_7ddea7a694.jpg

http://idiotflashback.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/comedy_43_a_fish_called_wanda_420.jpg?w=420&h=325 (http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=idiotflashback.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fidiotflashback.files.wordpress.co m%2F2010%2F01%2Fcomedy_43_a_fish_called_wanda_420. jpg)

...and don't call me stupid!!!

afc wimbledon
02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
My apologies, I am one Canadian who is very proud to have these games in Canada, my argument was strictly from a financial standpoint these games should be in Calgary, it seems like such a waste of money spending on all this new infrastructure an hour flight away from a center that has this in place.

The olympics are a bidding war, unless no one wants them (the LA games) then the bid is essentially given to the city/country that promises to spend the most, both on facilities and the requisite coke, hookers and wads of cash for the IOC officials.

There is no cheap way of doing it as the cost of the previous games justifies the higher cost of the next one and also justifies the vast sums of money the IOC keeps for itself, essentially 'we need the money as the games are so expensive'.

nik-
02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
The British papers just seem to be ripping Vancouver as a way to protect themselves for London 2012. If they constantly write how bad Vancouver's Olympics are, then if theirs suck they can say "at least it wasn't as bad as 2010"

I look at it the other way. The 2012 games better be f'ing PERFECT or people are going to crap all over that washed up colonial s@#$hole.

vicphoenix13
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Does London 2012 still use that logo? I thought they were embarrasssed enough to change it.

Bill Bumface
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Give Vancouver a break, these things happen... but years later all we remember is the Alexander Biladou's, The Heils, and all the events and moments and forget the crappy stuff along the way.

There is only one Alexander Biladou and one Heil competing in the Olympics.

MrMastodonFarm
02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
There is only one Alexander Biladou and one Heil competing in the Olympics.
http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/78906016/12171296

SeeBass
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM

If you paid attention to the Calgary bid it was several hundred million dollars less costly than the Vancouver bid.

cheevers
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I look at it the other way. The 2012 games better be f'ing PERFECT or people are going to crap all over that washed up colonial s@#$hole.
I dont understand the transfer of hate from a couple stupid journalists to an entire country. News agencies in England are notoriously awful, more about fabrication and gossip than real reporting. Honestly I hope London does a great job, its a great city and I love the people. And they will have a tough act to follow as Vancouver has been fantastic in my opinion.

JRunn14
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Why beat around the bush and criticize little happenings currently going on in Vancouver. The real beef is financially speaking the COA and the IOC screwed up many moons ago and should have awarded these games to Calgary before our facilities become too run down. I am certain we could have turned a profit on this despite the enormous security needed in this day and age.International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told critics yesterday to chill out, attributing most of the harsh reviews to a bored news media.

"There's not enough going on for you guys [the media]," Mr. Pound said. "To say these Olympics are not well-organized, that they're not great, and people aren't having a wonderful time is, quite frankly, silly."
"The Olympic gods are capricious. You have ice and snow since the beginning of time, until you get to the Winter Games, and you have heat waves, like we did in Calgary," Mr. Pound said. "It happens all the time."

The outspoken Olympic official, former head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, also took a shot at those criticizing the high-speed luge track for being too dangerous, after the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili.

"The outcome was rather extreme, and that's a shame," he said. "But people are calling into question the very existence of luge, saying the track was dangerously designed and so on. That's just silly. It's not."

Mr. Pound, who has attended every Winter Olympics since 1976, said current critics have no idea of the many glitches experienced by previous Games.

"You should have been in Lake Placid [site of the 1980 Winter Olympics]. The joke running around Olympic circles for decades was that, whenever anything got screwed up, people would say: 'Oh, this was organized by Lake Placid.'"

Even the much-vaunted Calgary Winter Olympics of 1988 had problems, Mr. Pound recalled. "We had 75 different events rescheduled during those Games. We had six days in a row when the temperature was warmer than in Miami. People were watching ski-jumping with no shirts on. This is nothing here," he said.

"When you compare these Games to Torino or Lake Placid or anywhere else, VANOC is a pretty well-oiled machine."

Not even the abrupt, unprecedented cancellation of 28,000 standing-room tickets for snowboard events at Cypress because the fenced-off area became unsafe perturbed Mr. Pound. "You can't have them up there standing in the mud, but is that the end of life as we know it? I mean, not really.... Hey, stuff happens."

Mr. Pound said VANOC has done a remarkable job responding to problems as they've arisen.International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told critics yesterday to chill out, attributing most of the harsh reviews to a bored news media.

"There's not enough going on for you guys [the media]," Mr. Pound said. "To say these Olympics are not well-organized, that they're not great, and people aren't having a wonderful time is, quite frankly, silly."
"The Olympic gods are capricious. You have ice and snow since the beginning of time, until you get to the Winter Games, and you have heat waves, like we did in Calgary," Mr. Pound said. "It happens all the time."

The outspoken Olympic official, former head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, also took a shot at those criticizing the high-speed luge track for being too dangerous, after the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili.

"The outcome was rather extreme, and that's a shame," he said. "But people are calling into question the very existence of luge, saying the track was dangerously designed and so on. That's just silly. It's not."

Mr. Pound, who has attended every Winter Olympics since 1976, said current critics have no idea of the many glitches experienced by previous Games.

"You should have been in Lake Placid [site of the 1980 Winter Olympics]. The joke running around Olympic circles for decades was that, whenever anything got screwed up, people would say: 'Oh, this was organized by Lake Placid.'"

Even the much-vaunted Calgary Winter Olympics of 1988 had problems, Mr. Pound recalled. "We had 75 different events rescheduled during those Games. We had six days in a row when the temperature was warmer than in Miami. People were watching ski-jumping with no shirts on. This is nothing here," he said.

"When you compare these Games to Torino or Lake Placid or anywhere else, VANOC is a pretty well-oiled machine."

Not even the abrupt, unprecedented cancellation of 28,000 standing-room tickets for snowboard events at Cypress because the fenced-off area became unsafe perturbed Mr. Pound. "You can't have them up there standing in the mud, but is that the end of life as we know it? I mean, not really.... Hey, stuff happens."

Mr. Pound said VANOC has done a remarkable job responding to problems as they've arisen.

Things go wrong in every Olympics...stop hating just because it`s Vancouver. COP is already too run down and would need major upgrades.

Daradon
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I was going to mention that Calgary had many events rescheduled as well.

I don't understand all the hate for the Van games right now. We had our turn, let them have their moment in the spotlight. If you absolutely need to make it a contest for bragging rights just remind yourself we had the first winter games, and the success our athletes are having now is largely due because of the legacy our games left.

As for the Van games, sure there's a few problems but what really matters is that it seems like the athletes and the visitors are having a great time there. They are putting on a ghood show and man international visitors are once again mentioning how friendly and polite Canadians are. Even a few idiot protesters couldn't change that.

valo403
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Guys, I think we need to calm down a little... yes it's fun to rag on Vancouver, and yes there have been mistakes but that happens, it happens in every Olympics games. These huge events don't happen every two years (Summer and Winter) without one or two or several things going wrong.

Torino had major weather issues to start and several Apline events were postponed. The 2006 Torino games also had major problems with their Metro transit system, by all reports it was a complete mess and totally inadquate throughout the games, it wasn't even totally finish until almost a year AFTER the games.

Hell, the Torino games also had a major threat of Bankrupcy before they ever started...

I can't really atest to the metro for things in Torino as I only went to the 2 hockey venues, but the regional rail was also a disaster. The last train to MIlan (about an hour away and a city many people stayed in) was at something like 10:30. So my choice was either miss the 3rd period of a game or get blind drunk until 5am when the trains started up again. I chose the latter, the cleaning staff paid for the crap scheduling.

Flames in 07
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
It's early to call the games a failure, however whenever a facility kills someone, whenever you need to call Calgary for a zamboni, and whenever you fence off the olympic flame with a fence so that 99% of people can watch broadcasters and anyone with clearance take pictures in front of it with their family you have to say there isn't great odds its going to be one of the best ever.

Canadians will get protectionist and emotional and fight anything that says this isn't the best planned 16 days in the history of sport. But to say that these games are a failure now seems extreme, but to say that they are great is extreme as well.

However more important than all of that, in the last few games, Canada is far more competitive and makes watching the events much more fun than it was in the 80's and 90's.

Hemi-Cuda
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
i'm just wondering if that IOC head will keep with tradition and call the Vancouver games the best Olympics ever at the closing ceremony. would seem kinda empty to say that when someone died on opening day

Heavy Jack
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
We'll, I am currently in Vancouver right now and have to say the atmosphere is amazing. I have never seen crowds at any other Olympic venues like these. They cheer for everyone too which I think is great. Huge exposure for the city I think from a tourism point of view, Vancouver really does look beautiful hosting the games right now, and we have a great weekend of weather coming. Also huge for all the other communities in Vancouver, like the one I am part of, the busking community. This is a huge opportunity for street performers to gain exposure and play in front of maximum crowds.

There have been a few sour notes like the protesters, that Alex is on Fire concert last night, and perhaps the only event that has been most unbearable and one I truly feel sorry for is the unfortunate passing of Georgian Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, but I think Vancouver and Vanoc respectfully seemed to handle that the best they could. Some of the conditions of the courses and the concession areas have skeptical design when considering the amount of people that they have. Like people have been saying on here, it's tough to feed and hydrate yourself and it seems understaffed at times, but these are mostly volunteers helping out and IMO I think they have done their jobs well. The excitement and anticipation in the city right now is unmistakable and regardless of a few tough events so far this is a very exciting time right now for Vancouver and the surrounding cities, I am glad to be apart of it.

Infamous1
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
i'm just wondering if that IOC head will keep with tradition and call the Vancouver games the best Olympics ever at the closing ceremony. would seem kinda empty to say that when someone died on opening day

Juan Antonio Samaranch used to always say that, not sure if Rogge does it too but I'm going to guess he doesn't unless Canada wins the medal count/Gold Medal Hockey because the country will go nuts and probably forget the glitches at the beginning...even including the death.

LockedOut
02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Juan Antonio Samaranch used to always say that
Nope. Not for Atlanta.

Resolute 14
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Things go wrong in every Olympics...stop hating just because it`s Vancouver.

The real question is why you feel the need to constantly whine about what is said about Vancouver. All of these threads persist because Vancouverites are some of the most insecure people on the planet.

Pastiche
02-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Resolute is damned insightful. Tell us more about other people.

Erick Estrada
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
The real question is why you feel the need to constantly whine about what is said about Vancouver. All of these threads persist because Vancouverites are some of the most insecure people on the planet.

So true. Albertans wouldn't dislike Vancouver so much if we didn't have to hear from every Vancouver person how beautiful their city is and how nice it is to not have snow. They always seem to go out of their way to have to tell everyone how great a city it is. I've never seen a city that turned so many residents into salesperson's for the city.

Personally I have nothing against the city of Vancouver. I prefer the island myself but there is definately a lot of things to like about Vancouver. IMO if Canada was to have the winter games in the city it should have been in Quebec. Geographically it makes no sense to build redundant facilities so far west and nobody thinks about Vancouver and winter unless the topic is 'raining and cloudy'.

loob job
02-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Your post makes you sound insecure Resolute.

Pastiche
02-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Personally I have nothing against the city of Vancouver. I prefer the island myself but there is definately a lot of things to like about Vancouver. IMO if Canada was to have the winter games in the city it should have been in Quebec. Geographically it makes no sense to build redundant facilities so far west and nobody thinks about Vancouver and winter unless the topic is 'raining and cloudy'.

Quebec doesn't have the alpine facilities. It will never be able to host the winter Olympics.

Table 5
02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
I've never seen a city that turned so many residents into salesperson's for the city.

Maybe it's just a really good city? It is always one of the top ranked cities in the world on a lot of livability lists after all, so maybe there is something to it!

Erick Estrada
02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Maybe it's just a really good city? It is always one of the top ranked cities in the world on a lot of livability lists after all, so maybe there is something to it!

Well Calgary isn't usually too far behind in the rankings. In fact weren't we #8 in the latest rankings worldwide? See I bet most didn't know that because nobody trumpets it.

Erick Estrada
02-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Quebec doesn't have the alpine facilities. It will never be able to host the winter Olympics.

Well they are going to bid on 2022 so it's obviously not a non-starter.

transplant99
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
This thread is still alive?

Simple refute to the original point..Calgary did not bid on these games, therefore it should not be hosting them.

Textcritic
02-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Count me in the group against "Own the Podium". This program has done nothing but ratchet up the pressure on everything about these games. It has put out an atmosphere of competition on everything about these games:

1. Constantly remind people that no one won gold in Calgary or Montreal. Like that counts as a measure of success in hosting a games?
I think it bears mentioning that the "gold medal count" statistic for the past two Olympic games hosted by Canada usually fails to take into consideration how much the Olympics—and the Olympic events—have changed even just in the past 20 years. At present Canada's two gold medals and four of its six medals in total have been won in events that were not part of the winter games in Calgary. Events in which Canadians are expected to do well (including snowboarding double slalom, skeleton, arials, curling and short-track speed skating) are relatively new to Olympic competition. Oh, and then there is that little matter about having NHL players in the Olympic games since only 1998.

2. Questionable ethics used to block other countries from using our venues to practice.
Yeah, that seems wrong.

3. All round make it clear that if we do not win the medal count these games are a failure in some way.

When did Canadians become like this? This hyper competitive nature is something out of a US games. It has nothing to do with Vancouver, or the great city it is. It all got so politicized so fast, now everyone is fighting with each other, over stupid things like gold medal counts. How sad.
This is true, and it is also pretty ridiculous when considering who the competition is. Does Canada honestly think that they can compete with the MUCH larger, wealthier, more seasoned United States? They are regular winners in the Olympics for reasons that Canada can't really claim, including the hyper-competitive element that seems engrained in American culture as well as a very high—perhaps even irrationally high—commitment to athletics.

As usual, I think that if Canada finishes in the top-three in the final medal count we should all consider that a fantastic accomplishment.

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Actually, Canadian officials were more inclusive of allowing foreign athletes to train than previous Olympic hosts were. Not so much "questionable ethics" as it is "par for the course".

Pastiche
02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
This thread is still alive?

Simple refute to the original point..Calgary did not bid on these games, therefore it should not be hosting them.
Calgary did bid on them actually. It was a competition between Calgary and Vancouver at the national level.

JD
02-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Calgary did bid on them actually. It was a competition between Calgary and Vancouver at the national level.
Yup, and I think that's where a lot of the bitterness and jealousy comes from. Some folks were just unable to let that go once Vancouver was awarded the right to go through the IOC bidding process.

Yeah_Baby
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
If you paid attention to the Calgary bid it was several hundred million dollars less costly than the Vancouver bid.

Really? I didn't know Calgary bid on the 2010 games. Neat!:rolleyes:

nik-
02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Yup, and I think that's where a lot of the bitterness and jealousy comes from. Some folks were just unable to let that go once Vancouver was awarded the right to go through the IOC bidding process.

I don't think there's a "lot" of bitterness and jealousy. To be fair, most of the negative crap, media stuff not included obviously, has come on these boards. No one I've talked to personally has said anything bad about Vancouver hosting the games.

I think a lot of people worried about the weather, and fairly, but I don't count being worried as negative.

Flashpoint
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
This is true, and it is also pretty ridiculous when considering who the competition is. Does Canada honestly think that they can compete with the MUCH larger, wealthier, more seasoned United States? They are regular winners in the Olympics for reasons that Canada can't really claim, including the hyper-competitive element that seems engrained in American culture as well as a very high—perhaps even irrationally high—commitment to athletics.

Great post.

As usual, I think that if Canada finishes in the top-three in the final medal count we should all consider that a fantastic accomplishment.

I would say the final placement in medal count is less important than the fact we already have 2 gold. If our hockey teams manage to do the same, I would imagine most Canadians would consider this our most successful Olympic team ever.

Textcritic
02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Great post.
I would say the final placement in medal count is less important than the fact we already have 2 gold. If our hockey teams manage to do the same, I would imagine most Canadians would consider this our most successful Olympic team ever.
I don't know about that. Canadian winter athletes have been steadily raising the bar, so I would expect that most Canadians would want to see at least a comparable showing their very impressive medal count in Turin, which included 7 gold and 24 medals overall.

Flashpoint
02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't know about that. Canadian winter athletes have been steadily raising the bar, so I would expect that most Canadians would want to see at least a comparable showing their very impressive medal count in Turin, which included 7 gold and 24 medals overall.

I was unaware we won that many.

God DAMNIT! WTF is wrong with our team??!

Vinny01
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Have we ever even bid on a second Olympics yet?

MelBridgeman
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Why we had them first....

The only objection i had to Vancouver being canada's bid, was that I thought the country would be better served with these faculties out East as well, only makes sense..other then that good on Vancouver...the weather, well at least the temperatures, it was much warmer on some days in Calgary in '88 then 'couver, only calgary can hit 18 in Feb, something that never happens in Van City until July

Phil Ivey
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
so true. Albertans wouldn't dislike vancouver so much if we didn't have to hear from every vancouver person how beautiful their city is and how nice it is to not have snow. They always seem to go out of their way to have to tell everyone how great a city it is. I've never seen a city that turned so many residents into salesperson's for the city.

Personally i have nothing against the city of vancouver. I prefer the island myself but there is definately a lot of things to like about vancouver. Imo if canada was to have the winter games in the city it should have been in quebec. geographically it makes no sense to build redundant facilities so far west and nobody thinks about vancouver and winter unless the topic is 'raining and cloudy'.
lol

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I doubt very much that anyone is jealous of Vancouver, certainly not for hosting the games. The bitterness on this forum, frankly, comes from dealing for years with morons claiming to represent Vancouver trolling this place like mad. The present Vancouver contingent can whine all they want and let their insecurities show through so obviously, but they have only their own neighbours to blame for the fact that nobody here has much respect for Vancouver.

Phil Ivey
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I doubt very much that anyone is jealous of Vancouver, certainly not for hosting the games. The bitterness on this forum, frankly, comes from dealing for years with morons claiming to represent Vancouver trolling this place like mad. The present Vancouver contingent can whine all they want and let their insecurities show through so obviously, but they have only their own neighbours to blame for the fact that nobody here has much respect for Vancouver.
Same would be said at any canucks message board just switched around. Lets just enjoy the olympics.

opendoor
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM

You actually base your opinion of another major city in Canada on how internet trolls act?

MelBridgeman
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
You actually base your opinion of another major city in Canada on how internet trolls act?

Yup and also living there too...there really isn't much difference. Although in person and when angry, canuck fans are much more voilent then their internet troll counterparts.

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Nope, I've been to Vancouver as well and haven't found much worth staying there for. It's a nice enough city to visit, and aside from Canuck fans, the people tend to be about average, but when you get down to it, this is still a Flames message board, and its members have been dealing with idiots representing the NHL's most insecure fan base for years. The end result is a bunch of trolls with an inferiority complex rushing to prove Vancouver's greatness at all cost against people who play that same inferiority complex to their advantage.

Frankly, I think most of the people tweaking Vancouver in these threads do it because it is habit, and because it exposes the trolls so obviously.

browna
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Yeah, and to be honest, would've made more sense strictly from a venue standpoint and probably financial.

I don't think the Calgary team was as organized or as polished as the Vancouver bid (I blame that on spending too much on the white elephant bid for the 2005 World's Fair), or the fact that going back to Calgary again would have optics issues which this country/the COC seems to have issues with at some points.

Anyways, Calgary's venues would still be useable with minor or moderate upgrades. The Oval is still possibly the top track in the world. Alpine could be at Nakiska again with some upgrades to the hill and or Sunshine, or Louise (although Parks Canada and the environmentalists prevented that option the first time).

Bobsled and Luge, no issue other then small changes to COP in general to handle some more people. COP could be upgraded to host the freestyle events.

Curling was at Max Bell or Corral, and could be again given what the size is of the venue in Vancouver. The second rink Vancouver has at the PNE is better for having figure skating/short track as opposed to having it all at GM Place, especially now with Women's hockey too in there as part of the schedule.

I am guessing something would've been newly constructed somewhere, or, the new Flames arena would be have done in the past 8 years, with the Saddledome having the same role of the PNE.

A new Ski Jump will have to be used, and I would say wherever they held the skiing. Isn't Whistler's temporary and to be torn down after? Same could go with the one setup in Calgary/Kanaskis/Banff.

My whole point is, in 30- or so years when the Winter Olympics come back to North America for the second time since Vancouver, and Canada would have a hope of getting them after the US gets them in 2026-ish, Calgary would have to build new venues as they'd be 40 years old.

If Calgary had 2010 and did moderate, less costly upgrades (remember, the trust fund setup out of the 1988 Olympic profits through CODA pays for the operating expenses and upkeep, making them self sustaining already), Vancouver could get the 2034 games and build the new venues then.

Textcritic
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
^
Wasn't part of the Calgary bid for 2010 to put COP under a roof? For that reason alone I thought it was worth pursuing.

Bill Bumface
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/78906016/12171296

Calm down and resume reading your copy of "How to be one of the Rob Kerrs of the Broadcasting World"