PDA

View Full Version : The Official Team Canada Thread

bluck
02-13-2010, 03:03 AM
CANADA is THE second LARGEST land mass THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY! and THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!!!

Now that the games are officially underway, It's time to come together as a nation and support our boys who will be dawning the red and white!
GO CANADA GO!

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3629/58941233526942875086392.jpg

Goaltenders

Martin Brodeur, 37 (New Jersey Devils)
Roberto Luongo, 30 (Vancouver Canucks)
Marc-Andre Fleury, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Defense

Scott Niedermayer, 36 (Anaheim Ducks)
Chris Pronger, 35 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Shea Weber, 24 (Nashville Predators)
Drew Doughty, 20 (Los Angeles Kings)
Duncan Keith 26 (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dan Boyle, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
Brent Seabrook, 24 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Forwards

Sidney Crosby, 21 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Rick Nash, 25 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jarome Iginla, 32 (Calgary Flames)
Mike Richards, 25 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joe Thornton, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
Patrick Marleau, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
Ryan Getzlaf, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
Brenden Morrow, 31 (Dallas Stars)
Corey Perry, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
Dany Heatley, 29 (San Jose Sharks)
Eric Staal, 25 (Carolina Hurricanes)
Patrice Bergeron, 25 (Boston Bruins)
Jonathan Toews, 21 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Kaine
02-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Ah the beauty of having more favorite players on other teams than Canada ;)

Since I've never been big on Olympic hockey and could care less about the games my interest in seeing Canada win is minimal. That said I would love to see Iggy light it up and dominate the tournament one more time. Kipper is going to frustrate a lot of teams, can't wait to see team Finland upset a few countries.

Anyways since I don't care which country wins what, go Iggy and go Kipper!

dissentowner
02-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Still bugs me that a piece of garbage like Corey Perry is representing our team.

bluck
02-13-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm still meh about the Bergeron pick... Easily could have seen Stamkos or St Louis in that role. Stamkos is deadly on the pp and St Louis showed some nice chemistry with Crosby when i saw them at the orientation camp. On a side note Jarome looked terrible with Crosby but looked really good with Toews as far as I can remember.

Tsawwassen
02-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Since I've never been big on Olympic hockey and could care less about the games my interest in seeing Canada win is minimal. That said I would love to see Iggy light it up and dominate the tournament one more time. Kipper is going to frustrate a lot of teams, can't wait to see team Finland upset a few countries.

Anyways since I don't care which country wins what, go Iggy and go Kipper!

I agree, the NHL and the Stanley Cup is the pinnacle of hockey. The Olympic hockey will be fun to watch but that's it. My heart is with the Calgary Flames all the way. I hope Kiprussoff puts on a superb goaltending clinic and show the world what he is made of. Maybe Jarome will get his swagger back playing through the Olympics.

Ren
02-13-2010, 04:32 AM
It's going to be nice to see a team that can actually score in front of Kipper.

Henry Fool
02-13-2010, 04:37 AM

You do realize he plays for Finland, right?

Ren
02-13-2010, 04:41 AM
You do realize he plays for Finland, right?

Gee, really? :rolleyes:

For the record, I don't give a rat's arse about Team Canada outside of Iginla. I just want to see Kipper get rewarded for his heroics, which he clearly isn't getting playing for the Flames.

Brick
02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
The Canadian men's hockey team will be the focal point of the Olympics in Vancouver.
Let's hope that they win the gold medal.

Go Canada Go!

Fire
02-13-2010, 09:21 AM
For the record, I don't give a rat's arse about Team Canada outside of Iginla. I just want to see Kipper get rewarded for his heroics, which he clearly isn't getting playing for the Flames.

That's the spirit.

Mayer
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm surprised so many say they don't care how Canada does.

I can't wait for the tournament and I'll be cheering Canada just as hard as I normally do for the Canucks. It will be a HUGE disappointment if they don't win Gold.

Infamous1
02-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Where's the patriotism people?? I work in Vancouver and yesterday everyone was wearing their Canada gear and I had my Crosby Jersey on and it was great. Finally people were showing how proud they are to be Canadian. Hell it felt like we were in the States on July 4.

This Team Canada will face more pressure than any Canadian team has in any sport in history and they deserve our support.

I will cheer for Iginla when he scores as he will be helping OUR Country succeed in OUR favorite sport.

All of you haters that will be upset if Luongo plays, go cheer for someone else.

nemanja2306
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Gee, really? :rolleyes:

All right, we get it...you hate the Flames. We are the worst team in the NHL and we should trade Iginla for a a 1st and 2nd, Bouwmeester too, and Kipper because he deserves better. Sutters also need to go away because they have done nothing for us. Now go away. This is a Canada team thread. I'm more Canadian than you, and I'm not even Canadian.

Jables16
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Small sample size but yeah surprising how many people already don't seem to care about Team Canada. To be fair I don't really give a gosh darn about the Olympics aside from the Hockey as it's the best chance to see the absolute best vs. best of every country. I can understand people becoming a bit inundated by the unnecessarily long and extensive hype of who should be selected for pretty much TWO EFFING YEARS (I noticed as soon as the Beijing games were over) but once the games actually start it will be hard not to be stoked for this competition.

As for the Bergeron pick I don't hate it. He's obviously a versatile player has played well with Crosby in the past and would be a right handed shot on that supposed top line of Nash - Crosby - Bergeron. I still think Iggy will be given a shot at that line though, no reason to think that just because they were a bit rough in a scrimmage game near the end of the offseason they couldn't put it together. I still would have liked St. Louis instead of Bergeron but when pretty much everything else panned out the way I'd hoped I can't complain too much.

Jables16
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Where's the patriotism people?? I work in Vancouver and yesterday everyone was wearing their Canada gear and I had my Crosby Jersey on and it was great. Finally people were showing how proud they are to be Canadian. Hell it felt like we were in the States on July 4.

This Team Canada will face more pressure than any Canadian team has in any sport in history and they deserve our support.

I will cheer for Iginla when he scores as he will be helping OUR Country succeed in OUR favorite sport.

All of you haters that will be upset if Luongo plays, go cheer for someone else.

I wouldn't be upset if Luongo became the #1 because he was playing the best of all the goalies through the round robin and the other two looked shaky. This is a short tournament and they'll probably go with whoever looks better between Luongo and Broduer through the exhibition and seems to be hot. I've heard all three goalies will get a start in the round robin games so the #1 spot is hardly spoken for.

However, all biases aside, Broduer is a much more accomplished goalie. He's won Vezina trophies, Stanley Cups, and of course a Gold Medal already. Luongo has won two playoff series. In separate years. That's about it. And in the biggest games of his career he has not been stellar. Elimination game against the Ducks in '07 he lets in a soft wrister from the blue line in overtime because he was yelling at the ref for a penalty. Elimination game against the Hawks' last year he lets in seven goals. And of course his infamous gaffe playing the puck in the GOLD MEDAL game in World Juniors. If he gets that spot he better be playing out of his mind and Broduer better look terrible. Anything else and I would assume he's being given the spot because it's Vancouver, and he plays for the Canucks.

If he does take the spot, stand on his head and win us a gold medal I'll eat a big piece of humble pie and love every bite, but until that happens I'll be singing this tune.

silentsim
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM

I can't wait for the tournament and I'll be cheering Canada just as hard as I normally do for the Canucks. It will be a HUGE disappointment if they don't win Gold.

Change that to Flames and we echo the same thoughts :)

GO CANADA

silentsim
02-13-2010, 10:57 AM

I don't care which goalie plays- at the end of the day I will cheer for the team and hope they bring home the gold. Wether it be Brodeur or Luongo or somehow Fleury (don't see it happening anymore) I think they are all great goaltenders capable of taking this team to the top.

Luongo is a GREAT goalie people hating on him are just blinded by homer glasses.

Sure it is fun to make fun of him sometimes, but at the end of the day I would feel comfortable with this guy in net. (and with some real Defenseman in front of him :) )

Jesse834
02-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Lets pray to god that Duncan Keith does not get hurt as Brent Seabrook will get exposed for the bad D he really is.

OILFAN #81
02-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey we can finally cheer for the same team! LETS GO CANADA! I think the Sharks line of Heatley-Thornton-Marleau will be the line that dominates this tournament. They already have the chemistry of playing together which will be a huge advantage.

endeavor
02-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Go Canada Go! :)

k1GBuVy7Jf4

Brick
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM

So many? In the big picture, hockey fans across Canada will be cheering loud and proud for Team Canada. A few negative nancies around here aren't really many at all.

bluck
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
In case anyone was wondering here's a link to the game schedules for both men and womens hockey. Our first Preliminary game is against Norway.
16:30 - Ice Hockey - Men's Preliminary Round - Group A Game 2 (http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/schedule-and-results/mens-preliminary-round---group-a-game-2_ihm400a02XY.html)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey-schedule-results/

CsInMyBlood
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Some of us want Team Canada to win, Brodeur is our goalie for that, not the whiny, overrated diving ######bag Luongo. Thanks for inviting me to cheer on someone else though.

Good on you to cheer for Jarome Iginla, but really how hard is that?

I will cheer Luongo on as he is sitting on the bench sporting a baseball cap, looking greasy as usual.

I will be in Vancouver soon, going to the games, the last thing I want is to hear stupid Canucks fans scream LOOOOOOOOOOU as the puck dribbles into his pads, or see him stare down one of his defensemen when the puck goes past him.

Marty Brodeur has shown he can win the big games, Roberto Luongo uhhhh yeah, never.

GO CANADA GO!!!

chanimal40
02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Go Canada Go. Iggy the gold medal hero.

Infamous1
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Some of us want Team Canada to win, Brodeur is our goalie for that, not the whiny, overrated diving ######bag Luongo. Thanks for inviting me to cheer on someone else though.

Good on you to cheer for Jarome Iginla, but really how hard is that?

I will cheer Luongo on as he is sitting on the bench sporting a baseball cap, looking greasy as usual.

I will be in Vancouver soon, going to the games, the last thing I want is to hear stupid Canucks fans scream LOOOOOOOOOOU as the puck dribbles into his pads, or see him stare down one of his defensemen when the puck goes past him.

Marty Brodeur has shown he can win the big games, Roberto Luongo uhhhh yeah, never.

GO CANADA GO!!!

I said IF Luongo plays. How will you behave if he's in the game? Whine and cry that Brodeur should be in there? I hope he plays in a game you have tickets for. :D

OILFAN #81
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I said IF Luongo plays. How will you behave if he's in the game? Whine and cry that Brodeur should be in there? I hope he plays in a game you have tickets for. :D

Brodeur - Norway
Luongo - Switzerland
Brodeur - USA

That is the schedule for the first 3 games. After that it will be Brodeur unless he really falters in the USA game.

Infamous1
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't really see any chance for anyone other than Brodeur playing the important games as I dont see him messing up.

Mayer
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
So many? In the big picture, hockey fans across Canada will be cheering loud and proud for Team Canada. A few negative nancies around here aren't really many at all.

Unfortunately this isn't the only place I have heard that sentiment.

Kaine
02-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Interesting that those with interest in other countries (not everyone has to cheer for Canada just because they currently live here ya know) and those that don't define patriotism by the success of a countries Olympic hockey team are negative nancies :rolleyes:

As said earlier, having extreme dislike for more than a few players on a specific team, having far more "favorite players" on other teams and the fact that I don't define Canada's contribution to the world of hockey by one tournament is how I view the subject. If that makes me a "negative nancy" then so be it.

The simple fact that Canada produces the vast majority of the worlds best hockey tallent and will continue to do so for some time is enough for me, beyond that I really don't care how Canada fairs in an tournament such as this. The fact that Canada could ice 3 teams and compete for medals means far more to me than Canada winning it all now, that says how deep hockey depth really runs in this country.

Go Iggy, Go Kipper!

OILFAN #81
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
What is Canada ranked in this tournament anyways? #2? I'd suspect Russia is 1 followed by Canada and then Sweden.

Flamesfan74
02-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Seeing that again still gives me chills.

Jesse834
02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
What is Canada ranked in this tournament anyways? #2? I'd suspect Russia is 1 followed by Canada and then Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_rankings#2003.E2.80.932008

d_phaneuf
02-13-2010, 02:02 PM

In terms of rankings by IIHF its Russia at 1, Canada 2

but in terms of who is the betting favorite

Canada was +130
Russia was +230ish
Sweden was around +450

Rhetts_the_Best
02-13-2010, 02:28 PM

GO CANADA GO!!!

He played pretty incredible in the 2004 world championships
But he won't be the starter and thank goodness for that!

My darkhorse pick is the swiss( the belarus of 2010)

CsInMyBlood
02-13-2010, 04:21 PM

I will whine and cry after we lose that game, yes.

Tsawwassen
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Anything wrong for cheering Kiprusoff, you're a Flames fan aren't you? He is the better goalie than Luongo.

kirant
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Anything wrong for cheering Kiprusoff, you're a Flames fan aren't you? He is the better goalie than Luongo.
Infamous1 is a Canucks fan.

Lets pray to god that Duncan Keith does not get hurt as Brent Seabrook will get exposed for the bad D he really is.
Really? I hate Seabrook too, but because he's such a good defenceman. He reminds me of a young Regehr.

Tsawwassen
02-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Infamous1 is a Canucks fan.

Thanks. That explains a lot so GO KIPPER!

Infamous1
02-13-2010, 04:48 PM

No I'm not a Flames fan and no I wouldn't take Kipper over Luongo. Kipper's numbers are not much better than Luongo's this year and that's with everyone saying he's been so great and Luongo hasn't. Canucks have also had some key injuries to defencemen this year and Calgary can't say the same.

OILFAN #81
02-13-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm an Oilers fan so I can be objective on this matter. I don't think one is better then the other. They are both outstanding goaltenders.

Tsawwassen
02-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Luongo has never made it to the semi-finals. Kiprusoff has made to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Jables16
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM

Seabrook is an amazing defenseman. He's not quite up to Regehr levels it terms of physicality when it comes to his shut-down game but his offensive upside is worlds ahead. Also, has it occured to you that Keith might not be as good without Seabrook? The chemistry they have together as well as their overall game is what makes them an elite pairing.

Stats87
02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Luongo has never made it to the semi-finals. Kiprusoff has made to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Marcel Dionne never made it past the 2nd Round

Tsawwassen
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Marcel Dionne never made it past the 2nd Round

I am comparing goalies here. In my opinion, Kiprusoff is better than Luongo. You and I have differing opinions and I respect that.

dissentowner
02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Heard this gem from Nick Kypreos earlier tonight.
"Look for Antero Niittymaki to start for Finland with Kiprusoff struggling in Calgary".

What a complete moron!

Jesse834
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
"Look for Antero Niittymaki to start for Finland with Kiprusoff struggling in Calgary".

What a complete moron!

Good god what a ######!

edn88
02-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Unless Getzlaf has a miraculous recovery before the Edmonton game, I hope they get a 100% fully healthy body in to replace him.

FanIn80
02-13-2010, 11:17 PM

What a complete moron!

Wow. Are you kidding me? Did that ###### really say that?

Sportsnet: How low can we go?

Ren
02-13-2010, 11:28 PM

What a complete moron!

Is there a clip of this anywhere?

Seriously, some of the completely idiotic things that come out of this assclown's mouth make me wonder if he even watches hockey at all.

Puddy27
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM

What a complete moron!
He must have been speaking in green text. <--That, or his mom combed his hair to rough....look at that lid, sad.

dissentowner
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Is there a clip of this anywhere?

Seriously, some of the completely idiotic things that come out of this assclown's mouth make me wonder if he even watches hockey at all.

I could not find one, I had it on CTV and they were talking about mens hockey and he said it.

standinmotion
02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Hey we can finally cheer for the same team! LETS GO CANADA! I think the Sharks line of Heatley-Thornton-Marleau will be the line that dominates this tournament. They already have the chemistry of playing together which will be a huge advantage.

Except 2/3 of the line have folded like cheap tents the last few years when the pressure is on. They will look real sharp in the round-robin, providing the offense while the rest of the guys gel. Then in the playoffs they will fold, and the Crosby show will take over.

TopChed
02-14-2010, 03:40 AM
I honestly have no idea why anyone would click on this thread if they "don't care how Canada does.."

Get out of this thread then..

People complain about Vancouver and Edmonton 'trolls' coming into a Flames fan forum, so why are you coming into a Team Canada thread to voice your apathy? I couldn't care any less how indifferent you are to Team Canada's success, have something on topic to say, or keep it to yourself.

3 Justin 3
02-14-2010, 05:49 AM

What a complete moron!

Seriously? This guy honestly doesn't watch hockey. I hope Niittymaki starts so Canada doesn't get shutout.

drewboy12
02-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I am personally stoked for these games to start on the 23rd. I want a repeat of 2002, such good memories, such good hockey. Im rooting for Canada, Be nice to win Gold at home.

Also Ill be watching the first three games in Cancun :D whoop whoop

Clarkey
02-14-2010, 08:18 AM
ah the beauty of having more favorite players on other teams than canada ;)

since i've never been big on olympic hockey and could care less about the games my interest in seeing canada win is minimal. That said i would love to see iggy light it up and dominate the tournament one more time. Kipper is going to frustrate a lot of teams, can't wait to see team finland upset a few countries.

Anyways since i don't care which country wins what, go iggy and go kipper!

wa wa waaa

Dagger
02-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I am comparing goalies here. In my opinion, Kiprusoff is better than Luongo. You and I have differing opinions and I respect that.

I'll use your logic from earlier. Ward, Fluery, Osgood> Kiprusoff, Luongo.

You;re out of your mind.

John Wayne
02-14-2010, 08:53 AM
The ones that don't care about Canada playing is someone who does not like hockey. The Olympics are the best of the best playing for their nation for a brief period of time. It is also when "most" fans of other teams all come together supporting the Maple Leaf and are fans of one team.

Lets go Canada and win gold in your HOME country.

tn19
02-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I hope Getzlaf is 100% and can play. I've always liked him but if hes not a 100% he needs to be a man and admit it. I'm so excited for this start and willing to cheer for the guys like Luongo, Perry, Pronger. Man, that's gonna be weird.

bluejays
02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I know that Russia has some crazy snipers and all, but how could they possibly be ranked #1 overall? That's mindblowing, and to hear Yzerman say that is absolutely a joke. Their lower line isn't up to par, defense somewhat lacks and there are questions about their goaltending. Sweden is looking alright especially in their backend, but Canada is overall easily far and way the best overall team coming in. Overall, I think USA's young roster along with Miller is 2nd, and 3rd is Sweden/Russia. As Lebrun said last night, if Russia didn't make it political and have KHL players on their roster, they'd be up there with Canada IMO, but I really don't see their defence that great. My predictions though:

Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Russia

dissentowner
02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I know that Russia has some crazy snipers and all, but how could they possibly be ranked #1 overall? That's mindblowing, and to hear Yzerman say that is absolutely a joke. Their lower line isn't up to par, defense somewhat lacks and there are questions about their goaltending. Sweden is looking alright especially in their backend, but Canada is overall easily far and way the best overall team coming in. Overall, I think USA's young roster along with Miller is 2nd, and 3rd is Sweden/Russia. As Lebrun said last night, if Russia didn't make it political and have KHL players on their roster, they'd be up there with Canada IMO, but I really don't see their defence that great. My predictions though:

The U.S will not medal. I agree with Yzerman, the Russians have too much firepower. Questions about their goaltending? They are just as strong in net as anyone. I hope Canada wins but I think we will take too many penalties trying to stop them.

Gold: Russia
Silver: Canada
Bronze: Finland

silentsim
02-14-2010, 10:13 AM

in IIHF rankings russia has won the last few world championships, even here on home soil so they are 40 points(i believe?) ahead of Canada.

i THINK if canada takes gold we go back to #1 in world rankings

OILFAN #81
02-14-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't see how Russia has questions in net. Nabokov will be a Vezina trophy nominee again this year.

OILFAN #81
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm sure Yzerman knows what he is doing, but I can't fathom how Stamkos is not on this team. He is one of Canada's top 6 or 7 forwards let alone 12.

valo403
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm sure Yzerman knows what he is doing, but I can't fathom how Stamkos is not on this team. He is one of Canada's top 6 or 7 forwards let alone 12.

The only player that you can make a legitimate argument to bump off in favor of Stamkos is Bergeron, and he's obviously highly valued by the management. With his international resume I don't disagree.

shadetree
02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Is anyone else here worried about having Niedermayer take a regular shift in the Olympics? He's been a bit of a nightmare defensively... I don't want to think about what might happen if he's matched up against Ovechkin or Kovalchuk.

Mr.Coffee
02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
The only player that you can make a legitimate argument to bump off in favor of Stamkos is Bergeron, and he's obviously highly valued by the management. With his international resume I don't disagree.

Getzlaf??

I'm sorry but why take even a "potential" injury... it would suck for him but we clearly have enough talent to choose from here.

OILFAN #81
02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Getzlaff??

I'm sorry but why take even a "potential" injury... it would suck for him but we clearly have enough talent to choose from here.

Getzlaf is the kind of player where you wait until the last second to determine if he can go or not (which Yzerman is doing). Getzlaf is one of the 3 or 4 best forwards that Team Canada has.

Mr.Coffee
02-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Getzlaf is the kind of player where you wait until the last second to determine if he can go or not (which Yzerman is doing). Getzlaf is one of the 3 or 4 best forwards that Team Canada has.

With an injured ankle? No, he isn't.

I agree with waiting until the last possible second but Mr red light Stamkos wouldn't exactly be a questionable substitution.

silentsim
02-14-2010, 01:34 PM

I agree with waiting until the last possible second but Mr red light Stamkos wouldn't exactly be a questionable substitution.

Except Carter is the substitute.

Getzlaf is amazing, and him and Perry have amazing chemistry already.

Hope he is fine.

OILFAN #81
02-14-2010, 01:34 PM

If he has an injured ankle, he obviously will not play. They are waiting till the last moment to decide because of the type of player he is. And I already said like 3 posts ago that Stamkos would have made my original team.

Mr.Coffee
02-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Except Carter is the substitute.

Getzlaf is amazing, and him and Perry have amazing chemistry already.

Hope he is fine.

How do you know that Carter is the substitute?

OILFAN #81
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
How do you know that Carter is the substitute?

They already decided on the substitutes. If Getzlaf can't play then Carter takes his spot.

Mr.Coffee
02-14-2010, 01:41 PM
They already decided on the substitutes. If Getzlaf can't play then Carter takes his spot.

Really? Must have missed that. Carter would be a good substitute. Canada's talent pool is ridiculous.

silentsim
02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
"Whether he faces the Oilers or not, Getzlaf will fly to Vancouver following the game to be checked on by Team Canada officials."

Source: TSN

Yzerman wants Team Canada Doctor's to take a look at it it seems

bluck
02-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I hope hes able to go he's a very important piece of this team... to think we could have had him instead of Dion.. ahh what could have been..

RandomDad
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
So around a year ago everyone was talking about how Team Canada's strength is their goaltending. Now we are about to start the tournament and that is probably the biggest question mark. I do have confidence in all the goalies though that they will get the job done.

ClubFlames
02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Getzlaf is playing in Edmonton tonight according to Darren Dreger.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

silentsim
02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
getzlaf an assist on a perry goal.

sa226
02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
How do the injury replacements work?

The team is carrying 13 forward anyways? why can't he sit out the norway game and try for the swiss game. If he can't go then make the official injury replacement.

3 Justin 3
02-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Is anyone else here worried about having Niedermayer take a regular shift in the Olympics? He's been a bit of a nightmare defensively... I don't want to think about what might happen if he's matched up against Ovechkin or Kovalchuk.

Yo.

I hope ANYONE but Nieds is on when Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Datsyuk are on. They'll skate circles around him.

jeremywilhelm
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
We'll be too busy skating circles around Grebeshkov for AO or Malkin to score

Jiggy
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Getzlaf had 2g 2a tonight. Maybe he is ready to go.

bluck
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
so happy he didnt play against us last night!! stupid oilers

Ren
02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Getzlaf had 2g 2a tonight. Maybe he is ready to go.

Against the Oilers...

Dustin Boyd had 2 goals and an assist against the same team. I'm sure we'll have a better idea of where he's at once Yzerman and co. have him checked out by Team Canada doctors.

Lil Pedro
02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice to see Iginla have a good game before the Olympics. I am so jacked up for this tournament! Go Canada!

MikeMc
02-15-2010, 01:01 AM

The fact of the matter is that Getz at 75% brings more to the table than Stamkos or Carter at 100%. That's why they are hoping and praying he can put his foot in the skate tomorrow and work through any pain that may come.

Stamkos might score a ton but i don't think he would qualify as a two way player by any sense of the term. Carter is underrated defensively IMO and i think thats why he was the replacement player named.

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm going to be watching the goaltening with interest.

I do not trust Luongo at all.

Marty has to be the choice but he does let in weak goals from time to time. We need great goaltending!

AFireInside
02-15-2010, 01:47 AM
The fact of the matter is that Getz at 75% brings more to the table than Stamkos or Carter at 100%. That's why they are hoping and praying he can put his foot in the skate tomorrow and work through any pain that may come.

Stamkos might score a ton but i don't think he would qualify as a two way player by any sense of the term. Carter is underrated defensively IMO and i think thats why he was the replacement player named.

I'd rather have Jeff Carter...... If Getzlaf goes at 75% that's incredibly selfish.

valo403
02-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Yo.

I hope ANYONE but Nieds is on when Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Datsyuk are on. They'll skate circles around him.

Really? You don't think Niedermayer is one of the best skaters in the game? Seems like the entire hockey community disagrees with you on that one.

valo403
02-15-2010, 02:03 AM
I'd rather have Jeff Carter...... If Getzlaf goes at 75% that's incredibly selfish.

How would it be selfish? The decision isn't Getzlaf's to make. Since when is someone else making a decision selfish?

Yzerman and co. will have to decide whether they'd prefer Getzlaf at x% over Carter at 100%, that's their call, not Getzlaf's.

bluck
02-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Guy still had a 4 point night.. even though it was against a crappy team it still says something

Tsawwassen
02-15-2010, 03:55 AM
I'll use your logic from earlier. Ward, Fluery, Osgood> Kiprusoff, Luongo.

You;re out of your mind.

Your statement is true, the three goalies are greater because the three have Stanley Cup rings to zero rings that Kiprusoff and Luongo have.

Tsawwassen
02-15-2010, 04:06 AM
The ones that don't care about Canada playing is someone who does not like hockey. The Olympics are the best of the best playing for their nation for a brief period of time. It is also when "most" fans of other teams all come together supporting the Maple Leaf and are fans of one team.

Lets go Canada and win gold in your HOME country.

Wait a minute here, I like hockey. What you are saying is selfish. How about the ones that don't care about Calgary playing is someone who does not like the NHL.

I like the Calgary Flames. A two week all star tournament is not going to change my allegiance for Kiprusoff and the Flames. I doubt many Flames fans are going to stop saying 7uongo, even if he does get a start.

3 Justin 3
02-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Really? You don't think Niedermayer is one of the best skaters in the game? Seems like the entire hockey community disagrees with you on that one.

Have you watched him this season? His -17 sort of agrees with me, Bouwmeester should be there over him.

Incinerator
02-15-2010, 04:47 AM
As patriotic as I am, I can't bring myself to cheer for ######bags like Perry and 7uongo, I'll be watching this tourney with a carefree indifference and maybe a slight bias towards Team Finland - I would not be upset at all if Kipper comes back with a gold medal.

TopChed
02-15-2010, 04:58 AM
As patriotic as I am, I can't bring myself to cheer for ######bags like Perry and 7uongo, I'll be watching this tourney with a carefree indifference and maybe a slight bias towards Team Finland - I would not be upset at all if Kipper comes back with a gold medal.

Cuz Jarkko Ruutu is so much better..

Go Canada

dissentowner
02-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Your statement is true, the three goalies are greater because the three have Stanley Cup rings to zero rings that Kiprusoff and Luongo have.

Is that how you judge players? Well then Ruslan Fedotenko is obviously a much greater player then Alexander Ovechkin, he has two Stanley Cup rings to Ovechkin's zero.:rolleyes:

Dr GonZo
02-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Yeah, because Finland only has angels for players. You know Jarkko Ruutu? What a great, clean and ethically sound player he is.

I don't care if you don't support Team Canada, but calling yourself patriotic yet having the inability to support your country's team because you don't like one or two players on it is ridiculous and hypocritical.

3 Justin 3
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Ha, they are bashing Iggy on the Olympic Morning show because he arrived in Vancouver with a Ed Hardy hat. WTF IGGY?!

Jay Onrait was like "you call those people, the d word" or something. But I love the enthusiasm they are giving for the d-bags "these are people you want to stay away from".

CalgaryFlamesFan123
02-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Loungo, regardless of being a Canuck, is one the best goalies out there; and putting the word douchbag in the same sentence as Luongo clearly is something I'd never do. It is one thing to cheer against the Canucks, it's another to call a great goalie a douchbag (especially since he hasn't done anything like a ######bag, strange choice of word)

Pastiche
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
This board is intolerable sometimes. A Team Canada thread instantly degrades into a Canucks and Luongo bashing thread.

Anyway, here is my contribution: Go Canada Go! Time to get pumped!

it_1koFRCQg

Diet Water
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Perhaps not everybody wants to blindly support somebody just because of the Logo on their chest.

I'm not going to stop thinking Pronger, Perry, and Luongo are ######bags just because they play for Canada. I'll cheer for the team, just not all of the players.

Is that okay with you guys?

3 Justin 3
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I still hope Perry gets slashed in the face in the first exhibition game and gets a concussion and Jeff Carter has to replace him.

He could have the winning goal in the shootout of the Gold Medal game and I would still feel disgusted.

Brick
02-15-2010, 09:30 AM
As soon as the players put on the Canadian jersey, they have my support.

Sylvanfan
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping for a Canadian gold medal, and I frankly don't care if Perry scores the game winning goal assisted by Pronger and Luongo. Sure I'd like to see Iginla be the man who comes up big for Canada, but for the next two weeks I don't care who these guys are in the NHL or who they play for they're on a new team.

Dagger
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Grow up guys. I don't care who's on the team I want gold, as the rest of you should.

If the gold medal game goes to OT, I guarantee you that you would pray for Perry to score, or Luongo to make a ridiculous stop.

Andrew
02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
getzlaf on team per mckenzies twitter (not really unexpected)

Vinny01
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Like I said I want Gold as well. I won't be too upset if Finland beats Canada 3-0 in the Gold Medal game after being outshot 65-10. (Scenario has to go this way for me not to be upset)

Luongo 7s 3GA
Kipper 65 saves shutout
Hagman hat-trick.

Stereochild
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah guys, it's really weird to have such a hate hard-on for certain players. I mean just get over it. Enjoy watching them play for team Canada.

HPLovecraft
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah guys, it's really weird to have such a hate hard-on for certain players. I mean just get over it. Enjoy watching them play for team Canada.

New to sports?

silentsim
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
I would take Perry on my team anyday. Love him if he's with you, hate him if he's against you.

If the opposition hates him he is doing his job, and damn well.

Flash Walken
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
This board is intolerable sometimes. A Team Canada thread instantly degrades into a Canucks and Luongo bashing thread.

Anyway, here is my contribution: Go Canada Go! Time to get pumped!

it_1koFRCQg
Where's the Nickelback?

Vinny01
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM

That is like saying "I don't care if the Oilers or Canucks win the cup as long as the cup comes back to Canada"

Sure we want the cup back in Canada but I only want it back here if Calgary wins it. I know that might seem weird but I have a hate on for certain teams and players and unless they are proudly representing the Flaming C than I have a tough time rooting for them.

I hope Canada does well despite struggles from Luongo who chokes in the preliminary round.

valo403
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Getzlaf is confirmed as staying on the team

CSharp
02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll cheer for Team Canada all the way. But if they get knocked out of gold medal contention, I sure hope Finland gets it. So, Go Canada Go and Go Finland Go!

Stereochild
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
New to sports?

Please. Hating certain players is great, that's not what I'm saying, but wishing for Perry to be "slashed in the face" so he isn't able to play on the Canadian Olympic team (for your country) is extremely excessive. To have that much hate for an athlete you don't even know is unhealthy.

I don't like Luongo either, I certainly don't like Vancouver, but I'm pretty sure you guys should be able to separate yourself for a little while and cheer for Canada.

kirant
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't really care who's on Team Canada. I'll hate (or grudgingly respect, depending on the player on the team) them for 99% of these four years, but for the two weeks of the Olympics, they're part of our team. Would I love to see Iginla score over those guys? Yeah, of course. But I'm fine if Perry pots the game winning goal or Luongo backstops Canada if Brodeur can't do it (Though I can't imagine him doing well in the medal rounds).

And, yes, I'm one of those guys who's fine if the Oilers or Canucks win the Cup as long as Canada gets it.

ZedMan
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Another kind of pump up video:
H8NRnlUU8gI
credit: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/02/team-canadas-friendly-welcome-video-to.html

FanIn80
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Haha, DGB is the sh**.

questionmotives
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I still hope Perry gets slashed in the face in the first exhibition game and gets a concussion and Jeff Carter has to replace him.

He could have the winning goal in the shootout of the Gold Medal game and I would still feel disgusted.

There are no exhibition games at the Olympics, and I for one am excited to see Perry making life miserable for Miller, Nabakov, Lundquist and yes even Mikka Kipprusoff.

Remember guys, Team Canada is not exclusive when it comes to players with questionable reputations.

All you Finnish fans might be forgetting this guy...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/original/article_22586_2.jpg

Or our good friend from south of the border...

http://thespokedb.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/patrick-kane.jpg

GO TEAM CANADA GO!!!

RandomDad
02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
If Team Canada had the following players on the team Dawes, White, Mcbackup, Regeher, Bouwmeester,Glencross etc. I would put my hatred aside for these Calgary Flames players and cheer just as loud as any Flames fans would when they are representing Canada.

Pastiche
02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Another kind of pump up video:
H8NRnlUU8gI
credit: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/02/team-canadas-friendly-welcome-video-to.html
Seriously, this video is awesome.

valo403
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
That video is incredible

Bluzman
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I honestly have no idea why anyone would click on this thread if they "don't care how Canada does.."

Get out of this thread then..

People complain about Vancouver and Edmonton 'trolls' coming into a Flames fan forum, so why are you coming into a Team Canada thread to voice your apathy? I couldn't care any less how indifferent you are to Team Canada's success, have something on topic to say, or keep it to yourself.

This is a good thread for revealing the age/maturity of some of the posters.

Poe969
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
That was funny as hell, Olli looks like "a pissed off baby" Great video!
Finnish also means done!

hwy19man
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
If the gold medal game goes to OT, I guarantee you that you would pray for Perry to score, or Luongo to make a ridiculous stop.

Just as long as they game is won in OT. I would hate to see the medal games be decided by a shootout. Vanoc got the NHL sized ice and should have pressed for NHL plyoff overtime rules to decide the big games.

Brick
02-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Team Canada > Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, etc., etc.

GO CANADA GO!

jimFlames
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Ha, they are bashing Iggy on the Olympic Morning show because he arrived in Vancouver with a Ed Hardy hat. WTF IGGY?!

Jay Onrait was like "you call those people, the d word" or something. But I love the enthusiasm they are giving for the d-bags "these are people you want to stay away from".

are there clips of the players arriving/practice today available online to watch?

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
are there clips of the players arriving/practice today available online to watch?

I was wondering the same thing. I'd love to see some video from practice and some interviews.

Very excited for tomorrow.

dcbc
02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Lines @ Practice:

Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
Staal-Getzlaf- Perry
Richards-Toews-Iginla
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Morrow

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty

Luongo has had his own net all practice while Brodeur and Flurey have shared a net.

Orange
02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I can't see Iginla being on that "checking" line when we're up against a team like Russia, I'd prefer Morrow really, but I hope to see Bergeron fall down to there and let Iggy retake his place on the top line.

Also, nice ninja edit to put the Iginla line third, you think us Flames fans are that sensitive? :p

bluck
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I can't see Iginla being on that "checking" line when we're up against a team like Russia, I'd prefer Morrow really, but I hope to see Bergeron fall down to there and let Iggy retake his place on the top line.

Also, nice ninja edit to put the Iginla line third, you think us Flames fans are that sensitive? :p

hahaha i noticed that too! but thanks for the lines!

Diet Water
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't see Iginla working his way up from that line to be honest. Crosby will make whoever he plays with look good, so I imagine Bergeron will stay up there because they looked good together 5 years ago.

It kinda sucks because I really do believe Bergeron is the worst winger on the team.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
It was pretty clear that Heatley-Thornton-Marleau and Staal-Getzlaf-Perry were going to be two of the line combo's. I wasn't sure whether Bergeron or Iginla would be on Crosby's right side. Looks like they are going to try and get the chemistry of Crosby-Bergeron back.

That defense looks awesome!

dcbc
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Haha...I edited to put them in the order I thought was proper after not looking too hard after typing them out the first time.

HPLovecraft
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Will posters still flip out when Iginla starts on the 4th line at the Olympics like the TSN guys said?

Orange
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe the lines are alright as they are, got some instant chemistry and it seems like a good mix of passing, scoring, speed, and defense on all lines. I think if Canada ever gets into a need a goal now situation we wont be seeing Bergeron on the ice with Crosby, but the last thing I bet Babcock wants to do is open this game up for the Russians so these lines could work.

HPLovecraft
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
Kovalchuk - Malkin - Afinogenov
Kozlov - Fedorov - Radulov
Zaripov - Zinoviev - Morozov

Markov - Nikulin
Grebeshkov - Korneev
Kalinin - Volchenkov
Gonchar - Tyutin

These were the practice lines for Russia from a poster on HF.

dcbc
02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Luongo will start tomorrow, Brodeur will start vs Swiss

silentsim
02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Lines @ Practice:

Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
Staal-Getzlaf- Perry
Richards-Toews-Iginla
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Morrow

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty

Luongo has had his own net all practice while Brodeur and Flurey have shared a net.

The CTV article showed Morrow in Richards spot, leaving Richards as #13, as all have projected. (CTV Article Re: the practise)

dcbc
02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
The CTV article showed Morrow in Richards spot, leaving Richards as #13, as all have projected. (CTV Article Re: the practise)

Morrow, Richards, Toews and Iginla were all rotating through.

Machiavelli
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Edit: nm, I fail. Camp video, not practice.

Tyler
02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Video of practice:

http://videos.torontosun.com/video/sports/vancouver-2010/42484412001/high-tempo-practice-at-olympic-hockey-camp/35221742001

That appears to be from August's orientation camp?

Ren
02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Will posters still flip out when Iginla starts on the 4th line at the Olympics like the TSN guys said?

TBQH I don't know what the big deal is. The Morrow-Toews-Iginla (or Richards-Toews-Iginla, however you want to look at it) line is obviously being used to be the 'shutdown' line, if anything it speaks to the faith that Team Canada has in Iggy's defensive game that they would use him in that capacity against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc. People often forget that Iggy used to be a big penalty killer for the Flames.

Canada has lots and lots and lots of guys who can score goals, especially if you put them on a line with Crosby, but I think we should feel privileged that we have one of the few players who's being trusted to do a little bit more than that against the best players in the world.

Machiavelli
02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
That appears to be from August's orientation camp?

You caught it before the edit. Man, you can't get anything by CP.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Morrow and Iginla showed they have chemistry last week.

Infamous1
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Luongo is starting tomorrow and then if Brodeur does well against the Swiss I assume he gets the rest.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Luongo is starting tomorrow and then if Brodeur does well against the Swiss I assume he gets the rest.

Yeah I think the thinking is give Luongo one game and then keep rolling with Brodeur until he falters.

HelloHockeyFans
02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/04/13/124-hating-people-who-wear-ed-hardy/

When choosing to talk about something that white people hate, it’s best to choose something that will allow white people to make clever comments or at the very least feel better about themselves. Currently, the easiest way to do that is to ask a white person for their thoughts on people who wear Ed Hardy.

zunie75
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I like the decision to start Luongo against a weaker Norway opponent. Its pretty much (knock on wood) a guaranteed win. The Swiss could be tougher, so I would rather see what Brodeur has early on, instead of just giving him an easy day out.

Johnny Canuck
02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
That is like saying "I don't care if the Oilers or Canucks win the cup as long as the cup comes back to Canada"

Sure we want the cup back in Canada but I only want it back here if Calgary wins it. I know that might seem weird but I have a hate on for certain teams and players and unless they are proudly representing the Flaming C than I have a tough time rooting for them.

I hope Canada does well despite struggles from Luongo who chokes in the preliminary round.

Nah, I think thats an unfair comparison.

I'm a huge Canucks fan. Have been since I was small. Once the Canucks are done for the year, I stop watching. When Calgary/Edmonton/Ottawa made their runs, I couldn't have cared less. It wasn't my team, and I stopped watching, even if they were "Canadian teams"

On the world stage, Canada is my team. They are representing all of us. Not just Calgary, not just Vancouver not just Toronto. All of us. In my mind, I put my hatred for players like Perry, Pronger, Iginla aside and the only thing that matters is a Victory for Canada.

I'd much rather have a player like Perry be our MVP and us win gold, then hope the players I dislike "choke" and we find ourselves out of a medal.

Once they pull that Team Canada Jersey over their head, all "hatred" is put aside, and the only thing that I care about is the team performing at the highest level, and getting us what we want. A gold medal.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Team USA lines from practice today:

Parise-Kane-Stastny
Malone-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Kesler-Langenbrunner
Callahan/Ryan-Drury-Backes

koop
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Parise-Kane-Stastny
Malone-Pavelski-Kessel

Kane at centre?

CMPunk
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
DGB has posted the Olympic welcome song in MP3

http://www.blogesalming.com/2010/02/new-olympic-welcome-song.html

3 Justin 3
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Parise-Kane-Stastny
Malone-Pavelski-Kessel

You know your team sucks when Ryan Malone is on your 2nd line and Kesler is your 3rd line Center.

CMPunk
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
You know your team sucks when Ryan Malone is on your 2nd line and Kesler is your 3rd line Center.

Why? Malone has 20 goals this year

HelloHockeyFans
02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Why? Malone has 20 goals this year

Probably comparing him to any of Staal, Getzlaf or Perry... which I'd agree with him on. Isn't close.

CGY12
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I still can't believe Bergeron is our #1 RW because he had chemistry with Crosby 6 years ago in junior. Isn't he on this team because he is great defensively?

Staal - Getzlaf - Perry
Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Richards - Toews - Bergeron
Heatley -Thornton - Marleau

...is how I think it should look.

RandomDad
02-15-2010, 08:41 PM

That 3rd line looks like it could very tough to play against.

jschick88
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Was watching TSN and they didn't list Iggy been on the powerplay. In fact, if they had three powerplays, he still wouldn't be on there.

HPLovecraft
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Was watching TSN and they didn't list Iggy been on the powerplay. In fact, if they had three powerplays, he still wouldn't be on there.

They will likely switch that around as the tournament goes on. If someone or something isn't working, I could easily see Iginla moving up.

That being said, Iginla's having a fairly weak season for his and other superstar's standards, so seeing him on the "4th line" of Team Canada ( still a damn good line), isn't that surprising when you think of it.

CSharp
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Kind of sad that TSN basically left Iggy off from any mention. I hope Iggy lights it up during the games and surprises everyone. But if he's on 3rd or 4th line duties and if Conroy is correct in that you can't score much playing in this role, then he might now have very much opportunities to do much scoring. I still want to see Iggy play his heart out.

CGY12
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Did anybody see the PP units? Ya makes a lot of sense to leave out the only guy on the team that has won the rocket twice and 1 of 2 guys to score 50 goals off the PP unit. I guess Canada brass thinks Iggy isn't capable anymore either, first a checking role and now this.

valo403
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
This thread has become hilarious. This isn't an all-star game, you need to have players play different roles to succeed, and Iginla is very capable of playing a hard grind it out down low style. It fits perfectly on a line with Morrow and Toews.

GirlySports
02-15-2010, 10:23 PM
The PP listed are riduculous. If Iginla and Heatley aren't on either powerplay, what's the point of bringing them? They're the only TRUE right wingers on the team.

CGY12
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
This thread has become hilarious. This isn't an all-star game, you need to have players play different roles to succeed, and Iginla is very capable of playing a hard grind it out down low style. It fits perfectly on a line with Morrow and Toews.

You need that kind of presence on every line. Personally I don't think you place Iggy on a checking line going up against the other teams BEST lines. I apologize for thinking Iggy should be on the PP when he is one of few that has consistently been one of the top goal scorers in the league for such a long time.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
The PP listed are riduculous. If Iginla and Heatley aren't on either powerplay, what's the point of bringing them? They're the only TRUE right wingers on the team.

Except Heatley is a LW.

PS........what are the listed PP's?

jschick88
02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
1st PP

Richards Crosby Nash

2nd PP

Stall Getzlaf Perry(I believe, not sure)

3rd PP

Marleau Thornton Heatley

GirlySports
02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Except Heatley is a LW.

PS........what are the listed PP's?

Nooo Marleau's the LW on that line I think.

The posted PP's are

#1: Richards, Crosby, Nash, Pronger, Doughty
#2: Stall, Getzlaf, Perry, Keith, Boyle

Ark2
02-15-2010, 10:31 PM
That being said, Iginla's having a fairly weak season for his and other superstar's standards, so seeing him on the "4th line" of Team Canada ( still a damn good line), isn't that surprising when you think of it.

It is when you see Bergeron (a guy that is having a much worse season) on the first line.

rogermexico
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't believe how much people are making of this.

Look, the advantage we'll have over Russia and Sweden is the depth to roll four balanced lines. We're not going to have a 'checking' line. We're going to have four lines that are equally able to score and keep the puck out their own net.

You want to put them in an order and put a number on them along with the tv guys, sure, go ahead.

I don't care what centre Jarome or anybody else lines up with. And I guarantee he doesn't either. He's not on a powerplay unit? It isn't going to phase him. And he'll probably be over the wall as soon as the powerplay is done.

Think about that - we've got the scoring depth that we can send a line with Jarome freaking Iginla on it immediately after a powerplay is finished.

I don't care how good other teams are - that's going to cause them problems. And that's what counts at the end of the day.

OILFAN #81
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Nooo Marleau's the LW on that line I think.

The posted PP's are

#1: Richards, Crosby, Nash, Pronger, Doughty
#2: Stall, Getzlaf, Perry, Keith, Boyle

You said true RW. Heatley is a LW who plays on the right side sometimes. Even on the PP he will switch to the left side.

In terms of the PP. They got it right on defense. Up front I would put the Sharks line out as #2 and Getzlaf, Crosby, Perry as #1. Richards and Staal would have been on my #3 unit.

jar_e
02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Look, the advantage we'll have over Russia and Sweden is the depth to roll four balanced lines. We're not going to have a 'checking' line. We're going to have four lines that are equally able to score and keep the puck out their own net.

I'd argue if we've learnt anything about Olympic hockey since Nagano its that you need a checking line and guys to play a checking role.

CGY12
02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Iginla and Heatley are the best natural goal scorers on this team. Not putting them on the PP is a huge mistake IMO.

bluck
02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Imagine a Heatley Iginla Stamkos PP line that would be dirty

Infamous1
02-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Imagine a Heatley Iginla Stamkos PP line that would be dirty

Who would pass them the puck??

I can't wait til tomorrow.....I've been a hockey fan since 88 but I feel I know more now than I did in 2002 so I'll be following it better and enjoying the win more if we pull it off. GO CANADA GO!! :D

HPLovecraft
02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
If Iginla actually plays a checking role in Vancouver and agrees to it 100% and succeeds, it could be the best thing to happen to the Calgary Flames once the season begins again.

bluck
02-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Who would pass them the puck??

I can't wait til tomorrow.....I've been a hockey fan since 88 but I feel I know more now than I did in 2002 so I'll be following it better and enjoying the win more if we pull it off. GO CANADA GO!! :D

I believe Stamkos is a C, Iggy a RW and Heatley a LW , put them with Boyle and Doughty and that should answer your question. LW, C, RW, D, D I dunno looks fine to me.

Tsawwassen
02-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Is that how you judge players? Well then Ruslan Fedotenko is obviously a much greater player then Alexander Ovechkin, he has two Stanley Cup rings to Ovechkin's zero. :rolleyes:

Are you able to understand sarcasm? :whistle:

Tsawwassen
02-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Please. Hating certain players is great, that's not what I'm saying, but wishing for Perry to be "slashed in the face" so he isn't able to play on the Canadian Olympic team (for your country) is extremely excessive. To have that much hate for an athlete you don't even know is unhealthy.

I don't like Luongo either, I certainly don't like Vancouver, but I'm pretty sure you guys should be able to separate yourself for a little while and cheer for Canada.

The cliche, old habits die hard makes sense here. Go Iginla, but go Luongo, no way. This is a guy who could harm our Flames chances of getting in the playoffs. Today's game is going to be like a Canucks home game with the Canucks crowd going LOU after every save. Mute the crowd when that happens. :D

I don't want any player severely injured or suffer any injuries at all. I would like to see all NHL Olympic players be 100% healthy and fully energized when the NHL resumes play in two weeks.

Tsawwassen
02-16-2010, 04:10 AM
I wonder what it will be like for the 7th defence man being the odd one out? Most, if not all of the European have four defensive pairings, do they not?

Smell My Finger
02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Its pretty obvious to see how the Eastern media feels aboout Jarome Iginla. TSN overlooks the same Jarome Iginla, that Stevie Y and the coaches selected to wear an "A".

I hope Iginla shuts up everyone of these mouthpieces.

Quick question for TSN. How many of team Canada's allstar forwards have won Olympic Gold.

Iginla.

How many forwards have scored 2 goals amd 1 assist in the gold medal game.

Iginla.

TSN's lines will be changed 5 min into the first game and Iginla will playing with Nash and the Kid.

You think Babcock doesn't realize he has the Canadian who is the most prolific career goal scorer over anyone to this point.

Iginla will be on the PP. and stats wise they want to build a case for Bergeron and Perry. Ok lets look at that too.

Iginla 27g 30a 57 pts 8 PPG.

Perry 22g 37a 59pts 4 PPG

Bergeron 12g 25 a 37 pts 0 PPG

Iginla points up all his point with a medicore cast his whole career. Stevie Y and Babcock know what fireworks will happen if Nash Crosby Iginla are a line. Finally comparable linemates for Iginla.

dissentowner
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Its pretty obvious to see how the Eastern media feels aboout Jarome Iginla. TSN overlooks the same Jarome Iginla, that Stevie Y and the coaches selected to wear an "A".

I hope Iginla shuts up everyone of these mouthpieces.

Quick question for TSN. How many of team Canada's allstar forwards have won Olympic Gold.

Iginla.

How many forwards have scored 2 goals amd 1 assist in the gold medal game.

Iginla.

TSN's lines will be changed 5 min into the first game and Iginla will playing with Nash and the Kid.

You think Babcock doesn't realize he has the Canadian who is the most prolific career goal scorer over anyone to this point.

Iginla will be on the PP. and stats wise they want to build a case for Bergeron and Perry. Ok lets look at that too.

Iginla 27g 30a 57 pts 8 PPG.

Perry 22g 37a 59pts 4 PPG

Bergeron 12g 25 a 37 pts 0 PPG

Iginla points up all his point with a medicore cast his whole career. Stevie Y and Babcock know what fireworks will happen if Nash Crosby Iginla are a line. Finally comparable linemates for Iginla.

I don't think Iginla can have bad linemates on this team no matter where he plays.

Mayer
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Do you think Babcock just looked at where TSN thought Iginla should go and then put him there? He obviously sees a good fit between Iginla and Toews/Morrow.

I certainly don't think it's any reason to be offended.

Smell My Finger
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you think Babcock just looked at where TSN thought Iginla should go and then put him there? He obviously sees a good fit between Iginla and Toews/Morrow.

I certainly don't think it's any reason to be offended.

Ya maybe i am offended by that tool McKenzie.
Iginla is a good fit with anyone on this team, but the way TSN doesn't even speak about Iginla period is laughable. He is wearing an A for a reason. Take any 3 seasons and add up the goals an wow guess who has scored more. I will sand pat with team Canada their reasons for Iginla being a key part of this team and not the media who would probably have him not even on the team.
Like I said Iginla is the only forward on this team to have won a gold medal and was key to winning it. Funny he wasn't suppose to play on the top line either but he did once team Canada realized what he brought playing with Sakic.

Mayer
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Ya maybe i am offended by that tool McKenzie.
Iginla is a good fit with anyone on this team, but the way TSN doesn't even speak about Iginla period is laughable. He is wearing an A for a reason. Take any 3 seasons and add up the goals an wow guess who has scored more. I will sand pat with team Canada their reasons for Iginla being a key part of this team and not the media who would probably have him not even on the team.
Like I said Iginla is the only forward on this team to have won a gold medal and was key to winning it. Funny he wasn't suppose to play on the top line either but he did once team Canada realized what he brought playing with Sakic.

My point is that TSN isn't the one that has Iginla playing with the "4th line". Babcock does, and I'm sure he has some reason for it.

And it's great that Iginla has the most goals over the last 3 seasons, but this tournament isn't being played over the last 3 seasons. It's a 2 week tournament happening right now.

If Canada wins Gold I do believe Iginla will have an important role in that, but I'll trust the people that were chosen to coach this team. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

bluck
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
yeahhhh CANADA!!!

temple5
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Still bugs me that a piece of garbage like Corey Perry is representing our team.

I dont get the hate on for CP.

Are the initials that bad?

YourCalgaryFlames!!!!
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Iginla is the best

Yasa
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I guess Iginla played ok tonight.

bluck
02-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Nash-Crosby-Iginla = droooool

Fuji
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Anyone find the stats of last nights game? (in particular looking for TOI - curios to see how many minutes the players played).