PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Olympics?

flylock shox
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Just wondering who (if anybody) is actually planning to go to some events, and what events interest people the most.

It seems most Vancouverites are actually leaving town for the games (which can only improve the city in my opinion, so it should be a great time to visit).

I'm going to check out ski jumping and bobsled. More interested in those than things like hockey or curling, which I can see live at a high level pretty much any time. Would have like short track tickets though, but they're insanely expensive now.

Word to the wise, you can still get some reasonably priced tix to the first ski jumping event on the morning of February 12, which actually takes place before the opening ceremonies. If you want to spend some time in Whistler during the Olympics, these are good ones to get, because you can still book hotels at reasonable prices for February 11 (roughly $300 a night all in), and you can book your round trip tix on Greyhound at $25 a pop. From February 12 onwards though, bus tix (unless you book on the Olympic bus network by the end of the day tomorrow) go up to $50, and hotel rooms start at about $800 a night.

Tyler
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Heading for 24 hours and managing to catch Russia vs. Czech and Canada vs. USA in the round robin for hockey. Can't wait!

604flames
01-11-2010, 01:38 AM
I moved away from Vancouver 2 weeks ago, couldn't be happier about avoiding the Olympics.

Girlfriend is going to a quarter-final hockey game (could possibly be Canada she says).

My old man is volunteering at Cypress, he's stoked about everything except the having to be at the hill at 4:00 am.

A friend of mine racked up a 3,000 dollar Visa bill, snagged opening and closing ceremonies + the gold medal hockey game.

Mav
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
We are looking at going out for a weekend with the mindset of it doesn`t matter what event we see. Found some pretty decent tix on ebay for some ski jumping and some of the bobsleding. Nothing finalized yet though.

REDVAN
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I'll be going to the olympics...

this is how I plan to get there:

http://danandsherree.com/upload/2008/07/our_new_couch/couch-1.jpg

and then this:

http://www.reviewzine.com/images/tv/lg-42pc1d-plasma-tv.jpg

arloiginla
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Hoping to go to the gold medal game. Getting tickets is a lose-lose situation though, they cost a ton and if Canada doesn't make it I'll have to take a bath on them - not something I can afford right now.

Bleh.

flylock shox
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Hoping to go to the gold medal game. Getting tickets is a lose-lose situation though, they cost a ton and if Canada doesn't make it I'll have to take a bath on them - not something I can afford right now.

Bleh.

Yeah, last I checked people wanted $1200 for a single seat in the upper atmosphere (not that there are any really bad seats at GM Place).

Although I imagine people would be asking the moon for those tickets no matter what, the fact the 2010 website is set up to encourage scalping probably doesn't help.

Basically, if that matchup doesn't turn out to be Russia-Canada, I'd have a hard time swallowing even half that price on a ticket.

zarrell
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
To be honest, the only reason I didn't try and get tickets was because of Visa's exclusivity on the games. Visa must be paying a kings ransom to be the only card accepted.

Prototype
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I was planning on going to catch a game or two, but due to lack of response from people on the board concerning tickets, and other outside factors it looks like I will not be going.

My dad is going to be one of the off ice officials for the Hockey (Mens/Womens/Sledge), so it would have been cool to drive out there, spend the night in Kamloops or Kelowna, then drive out for a game or two, drive back to Kamloops or Kelowna, then head home.

I'm not as optimistic as I was a month ago that I will be able to make it out there. If I knew my cousin in law was going to be on the Canadian Bobsled team, which she has a pretty good chance to be... I would consider seeing some of that as well.

dubc80
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I'll be there as a volunteer. I got a sweet gig. I'm an event host at Canada Hockey Place so I'll be "working" all the hockey games marshalling, ticket taking, ushering, etc. Should be a very good time. Looking forward to it.

I have tickets to womens ice hockey gold medal and the closing ceremonies.

FurnaceFace
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I got lucky in the ticket lottery and ended up with some tickets for the first week:
Moguls
Luge
Canada - Norway
Finland - Belarus

We also have tickets to a victory celebration but on the night we have, the performer is Paul Brandt so we're trying to unload those. We're also trying to pickup some speedskating tickets if anyone has some they won't be using.

FLAMESRULE
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm going with 3 buddies for the mens hockey. Tickets to the Canada SemiFinal, Bronze medal, and Gold medal games. Going to be just insane. Also managed to get passes to the Molson Hockey House...WOO HOO!!

Cactus Jack
01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I have tickets to the Canada-US Men's Hockey game! WOOWOOOO!

FlamingInfinity
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm going with 3 buddies for the mens hockey. Tickets to the Canada SemiFinal, Bronze medal, and Gold medal games. Going to be just insane. Also managed to get passes to the Molson Hockey House...WOO HOO!!

I really want to get passes to the Molson Hockey House, but for $500 a day, it's way out of my price range. Especially with my BB coming soon. :( I sell this stuff for VanOc, and they can't even float me a ticket at all. 5 days a week, and make them about >$1200 a day. So full of themselves.

Dan02
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Yep be there for a week, catch some hockey, some curling, some speed skating, should be good times.

I'm thinking CP meetup?

FlamingInfinity
01-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I could go for a beer or something one night. Someone can pick a place and I'd be there with some fellow CP'ers.

Galakanokis
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
No events for me but I should be doing some work for NHK and maybe BBC. Just waiting on security clearance now, I am really hoping it lets me on all the closed streets as they are my normal route to work.

Always up for a beer with fellow Flames Fans. If something is setup I would pop by...

Save Us Sutter
01-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm heading down as well, got tickets for Women's Half Pipe, Can v USA and Fin vs Sweden.

Only got single tickets for the hockey games, so I'd be down for some beers with some fellow Flames fans as well. Never been to a sporting event by myself but couldn't pass up Olympic hockey being just down the coast.

SebC
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I got a bunch o' tickets.

Ladies Moguls
Victory Ceremony
Women's Hockey prelim
Women's Curling prelim
Men's Halfpipe
Men's Hockey Playoffs
Mens Aerials
Victory Ceremony
Men's Hockey Finals

FunkMasterFlame
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Yep I'm going. Managed to snag a job cooking for the athletes in the Whistler athlete's village. Going to be staying on a cruise ship in Squamish.

Should be good times.

Winsor_Pilates
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Tickets for Russia Vs Latvia, and hoping to snag more. Either way, I can't wait and don't understand how anyone would want to leave the city during the games.

Nuje
01-23-2010, 01:45 AM
I've got USA vs Norway (Go....people named Bjorn???) and Russia Vs Czech (Go Czech)....soooooo basically cheering for the underdog in each case. I'll be down in Vancouver from the 16th to the 22ndish I believe. Should be a grand ol'time.

fleuryisgod
01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I am heading down from the 16-19th, don't have tickets to anything yet but hopefully will grab some scalped ones while I am there. If anyone here has anything then send me a pm and I will buy them from you, doesn't really matter what sport I just want to see something.

shermanator
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
You mean...the Olympics...are coming...to Vancouver?
I had no idea! You think someone would have advertised about it ;)

Vernie_30
01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
i'm going:
Ladies Snowboard cross
Ladies 1500m speedskating
Skeleton
Mens Hockey - Russia vs Czech
Mens Hockey - Qualification game 20

walrus boxer
01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I really want to get passes to the Molson Hockey House, but for $500 a day, it's way out of my price range. Especially with my BB coming soon. :( I sell this stuff for VanOc, and they can't even float me a ticket at all. 5 days a week, and make them about >$1200 a day. So full of themselves.

It's now $100 a day, but the good games are sold out. It seems a bit stupid to pay $100 to watch Canada/Norway at a bar when you can walk 2 blocks and see it live.

Have you heard anything about beer prices? My guess is it'll get cheaper when the Olys start and the bar isn't full for several games.

flames_fan_down_under
01-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Tickets for Russia Vs Latvia, and hoping to snag more. Either way, I can't wait and don't understand how anyone would want to leave the city during the games.

Amen to that brother! I live for the Olympics. I can't wait! I have a bar tending gig in Yaletown so I'm hoping to make a few bucks too while I enjoy the sights and sounds. There is already a great buzz in the city, no one really knows what to expect. I am expecting awesomeness.

Tons of great free shows too! Alexisonfire, Damien Marley, Deadmau5, just to name a few.

http://www.citycaucus.com/2010free

That's a great website that pretty much outlines all of the free events, shows, activities that are taking place all over the city. A cool one is you can zipline over Robson street.

flylock shox
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
For those still looking to snag some premium tickets, VANOC is expected to release a few hundred premium tickets tomorrow (timing unspecified), including tix to the men's gold medal hockey game.

Only premium tix are expected to be released, so a ticket to the men's final will still run you $850 - but that's for a top notch seat, and a good bit cheaper than the $2000 people are now asking for a single in the stratosphere.

So, if you've got free time tomorrow, keep your eyes peeled. The last mini-release happened at about 4PM Pacific.

YourCalgaryFlames!!!!
02-09-2010, 01:53 AM
wish i can go.....

liza20005
02-09-2010, 03:36 AM
are they ? cant wait!!!!

surferguy
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Anybody else headed to Vancouver for the games? I am off next wednesday for 5 days to stay with friends. Our aim is to just be in the city and soak in the spirit. We have tickets to see one event, Womens curling. Canada v. the Brits. It wasn't my first choice but the tickets were reasonable and more importantly, available!

flylock shox
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Anybody else headed to Vancouver for the games? I am off next wednesday for 5 days to stay with friends. Our aim is to just be in the city and soak in the spirit. We have tickets to see one event, Womens curling. Canada v. the Brits. It wasn't my first choice but the tickets were reasonable and more importantly, available!

More tickets for curling, including the mens semifinal, were released today on the VANOC website. Check it out quick if you want them!

Also: fata! (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=85087)

Tyler
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm hearing some ridiculous rumour that its going to take 4 hours to get into some of the events.

I better not be waiting outside GM Place for 4 hours to watch a hockey game.

JBR
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
For those still looking to snag some premium tickets, VANOC is expected to release a few hundred premium tickets tomorrow (timing unspecified), including tix to the men's gold medal hockey game.

Only premium tix are expected to be released, so a ticket to the men's final will still run you $850 - but that's for a top notch seat, and a good bit cheaper than the $2000 people are now asking for a single in the stratosphere.

So, if you've got free time tomorrow, keep your eyes peeled. The last mini-release happened at about 4PM Pacific.

Thanks for the info. We're going Feb 12-16. I have tickets to Women's hockey, Canada vs. Slovakia and the Feb 14 Victory Celebration. Would love to get some premium tickets to Speedskating on the 13th, 14th..

surferguy
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I guess you got me on the fata, as I never even bothered to check....me = lazy.

Winsor_Pilates
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Probably worth having a thread in the Off Topic section anyway, so more people see it and can discuss their Olympic adventures.
I live here, but am too just going to try and soak up the atmosphere as much as possible. Only have tickets for Russia Vs Latvia.

Some links:
http://www.livecityvancouver.ca/
FREE! great concerts, big screens to watch ceremonies etc. These 2 spots will likely be great for just hanging out and enjoying being out at the games.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/
Schedule of sports events and results

http://yougottabehere.ca/
Info on other non sports things going on like the zip-trek downtown

flylock shox
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe the threads could be merged into the OT forum. Probably makes more sense as the games are about to begin and a lot of people might be curious or have questions, and many don't go to the other sub-forums.

Thanks for those links WP. There is so much free stuff going on in Vancouver you don't really even need tickets to any events to have a great time. Plus the atmosphere with all the tourists should be fun - especially in the bars. Hell, even the protests should be entertaining.

Table 5
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Damn, I would've loved to have gone, I'm a hug fan of the Olympics. Unfortunately I missed them by a few months in 88 (family moved to Calgary in 89), and no longer live in the west the second time around. One of these days, I'd love to make it.

Hustle
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Probably worth having a thread in the Off Topic section anyway, so more people see it and can discuss their Olympic adventures.
I live here, but am too just going to try and soak up the atmosphere as much as possible. Only have tickets for Russia Vs Latvia.

Hey Winsor,

Have you heard anything about any major road closures in downtown? I live right by Livecity Yaletown and i'm guessing that entire area is going to be a complete mess!

Unfortunately i've been out of town for the last 3 weeks and I miss the first 5 or so days of the games... stoked to get back into town and soak up the atmosphere. I know a ton of people are protesting the games.. but I guess i'm a sucker and all for the excitement it's going to bring.

jar_e
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Me and Dan_02 are going from the 20 - 27...got tickets for eleven events. Quite jacked...and hopefully by the 20th some of the logistics will be figured out and things will be a little more smooth flowing.

Redliner
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Sadly, I won't be able to go to the Olympics this time around. For those who are, all I can say is enjoy it because it's a hell of a great experience. I was lucky enough to hit 3 events during the 88 winter games in Calgary: Men's luge, Ladies GS, (at Nakiska) and the Closing Ceremonies at McMahon. I was only in junior high at the time but it's definitely something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Oh, and women's curling isn't so bad. ;)

http://peicurling.com/scotties/carmody2010-2.jpg

dubc80
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'll be there. I leave this Thursday and will be there until after the closing ceremonies.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm a event host volunteer (usher, crowd marshall, ticket taking, access control, etc) at Canada Hockey Place. Excited to pick up my uniform and accreditation passes this Friday.

Going to be working most of the hockey games. Should be an awesome atmosphere. I'll be taking some "behind the scenes" pics and will post them as the games go on.

I also have tickets to the womens gold medal hockey game and the closing ceremonies.

Good thing I dont mind crowds. It's gonna be a bigtime gong show!

FiftyBelow
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I wish I could afford tickets... nonetheless I'm just going to take in the atmosphere and enjoy the night life with some friends who are visiting from Calgary.

valo403
02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty bummed to be missing these games, would've made for 3 in a row and 4 overall.

I've had great experiences at the Olympics, had breakfast with Ross Rebagliati (sp?) at a food court McDonald's in Salt Lake, climbed some sort of light rigging in order to stash coats at the Heineken house in Torino, with the help of a bunch of random people I'd just met drank a bar in Torino out of every drop of vodka they had, fell asleep in a train/car and woke up in Milan/Vegas (well actually a town called Beaver, UT but I went back to sleep until Vegas), and just generally had a blast. And that doesn't even include going to the games.

Even if you don't have tickets, if you can find a way to get out there for even a night it's worth it.

Prototype
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Oh, and women's curling isn't so bad. ;)

http://peicurling.com/scotties/carmody2010-2.jpg

Except for that tall dark haired one. Looks like one of the Kids In The Hall...

Save Us Sutter
02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey flylock, where does one keep their eyes peeled?

Just keep searching on their site, or is there going to be some kind of announcement?

fleuryisgod
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I am pretty pumped to be heading down as well, will be there from the 16th-19th. By the way if anyone happens to have any tickets for those dates then send me a pm, would love to be able to actually go to an event.

valo403
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm hearing some ridiculous rumour that its going to take 4 hours to get into some of the events.

I better not be waiting outside GM Place for 4 hours to watch a hockey game.

I heard similar rumors before heading to both Salt Lake and Torino, in neither case were there any sort of major delays. Show up a bit early just in case, but unless there's some reason to believe those rumors you'll probably be fine.

Cactus Jack
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Canada - US men's hockey! I leave next thursday!!

Slava
02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
^ That isn't the olympic curling team. That team is PEI and they didn't win the Scotties tournament either. The oympic team is from Calgary and is skipped by Shannon Kleibrink.

dj_patm
02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Me and 2 friends were going to go head out but the people we were staying with decided that they no longer want to help us out for free (which is fair, we didn't know them that well) and decided to rent there basement out for $1000.

We tried finding some where to stay but there's nothing within our budget close then Langley...

We were planning on hitting whistler and watching some of the alpine events but yeah. Hanging out at the different "houses" would've been cool too!

You guys are all really lucky!! Enjoy yourselves!!

FurnaceFace
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
We were planning on hitting whistler and watching some of the alpine events

The way I read this is you don't have tickets for the events. If this is the case, you won't get near Whistler as the only way you can get out there is if you are a) staying on the hill or b) have tickets to the events up there AND have tickets on the Olympic Bus Network...which you can only get if you have event tickets.

As far as I can tell, you can't just wander up the highway, park, and hang out in Whistler or Cypress.

--------------

I'm leaving Friday morning, will be there for the first week. I have Cananda Norway, Finland Belarus and women's moguls. Lots of stuff going on in the city so it should be fun just to hit up the country pavilions and such.

Oh, and if anyone has Whistler event tickets for the evening of the 15th and needs bus tickets get in touch. I sold my luge tickets so I don't need the bus tickets (pair for $50).

SebC
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
There are tickets available now... trying to decided if I want to buy more or not. How much curling do I want to watch, and how much do I want to spend.

Winsor_Pilates
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Winsor,

Have you heard anything about any major road closures in downtown? I live right by Livecity Yaletown and i'm guessing that entire area is going to be a complete mess!

Unfortunately i've been out of town for the last 3 weeks and I miss the first 5 or so days of the games... stoked to get back into town and soak up the atmosphere. I know a ton of people are protesting the games.. but I guess i'm a sucker and all for the excitement it's going to bring.
Don't think there's any closures in that area. Haven't seen any yet and I'm down there often and as recent as last night (Homer & Pacific). They have shut down some meter parking around DT, but not in Yaletown that I've seen. Streets such as Alberni have meter spots no longer available for use.

Here's a list of the posted closures.

1st Ave (Quebec to Wylie) Nov 1 2009 to Mar 31 2010

Columbia St (between 1st and 2nd) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Cook St (1st to lane south of 1st) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Crowe St (between 1st and lane south of 1st) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Manitoba St (between 1st and 2nd) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Ontario St (between 1st and 2nd) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Quebec St (1st and lane south of 1st) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Quebec St (Terminal to 2nd) Jan 15 - Mar 24

Abbott St (Expo to Pacific) Jan 4 - Mar 14

None have inconvenience me much at all, and I drive around a fair bit, especially into DT. The only one that effect my normal driving routes is Quebec being closed near science center, so you have to take Main St. if heading back on terminal towards DT or 2nd Ave (to Kits/False creek etc.)

Also noticed signs today saying Cambie bridge will be closed Wednesday and Friday.

Me and 2 friends were going to go head out but the people we were staying with decided that they no longer want to help us out for free (which is fair, we didn't know them that well) and decided to rent there basement out for $1000.

We tried finding some where to stay but there's nothing within our budget close then Langley...

We were planning on hitting whistler and watching some of the alpine events but yeah. Hanging out at the different "houses" would've been cool too!

You guys are all really lucky!! Enjoy yourselves!!
http://www.papajohnspizza.ca/Locations.aspx?st=1&c=CA&z=&s=BC
you're welcome ;)

flylock shox
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey flylock, where does one keep their eyes peeled?

Just keep searching on their site, or is there going to be some kind of announcement?

Yup, just keep your eyes on the site. They aren't making any official announcements for these mini-releases. There was a release for curling this morning that is now mostly spent for example. Also, make sure you have already signed up for an account so you can act quickly as most good deals vanish fast.

Besides waiting for available tix from VANOC, also check out the fan-to-fan market for people selling tickets for below the market value. I've got tickets to four events and bought all of them through the fan-to-fan market, and all of them only cost me face value.

valo403
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
The way I read this is you don't have tickets for the events. If this is the case, you won't get near Whistler as the only way you can get out there is if you are a) staying on the hill or b) have tickets to the events up there AND have tickets on the Olympic Bus Network...which you can only get if you have event tickets.

As far as I can tell, you can't just wander up the highway, park, and hang out in Whistler or Cypress.

--------------

I'm leaving Friday morning, will be there for the first week. I have Cananda Norway, Finland Belarus and women's moguls. Lots of stuff going on in the city so it should be fun just to hit up the country pavilions and such.

Oh, and if anyone has Whistler event tickets for the evening of the 15th and needs bus tickets get in touch. I sold my luge tickets so I don't need the bus tickets (pair for $50).

Whistler's advertising says that the mountain is 80% open (or something like that) during the games, so you can get onto the mountain to ski with a lift ticket. Are they restricting lift tickets to only those staying on the mountain?

St Loomis
02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I will be heading to van city on the 20th. Going to four events

Mens Hockey CAN v USA
Mens Aerials Final
Womens PGS Snowboarding
Mens PGS Snowboarding

Should be a lot of fun, I am so pumped!

d_phaneuf
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think DT is getting closed for driving until friday, and then its pretty much done for 2 weeks

UBC is all ready out of wack, the bus route has been completely rerouted and will be until the end of march I think they said

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Who wants to go to a city full of Canucks fans?

FurnaceFace
02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Whistler's advertising says that the mountain is 80% open (or something like that) during the games, so you can get onto the mountain to ski with a lift ticket. Are they restricting lift tickets to only those staying on the mountain?

Ok, I wasn't totally correct, you can't self drive to Whistler though, you need to grab a shuttle bus so it's likely not something you'll just be able to suddenly decide "it's a nice day, lets go to Whistler."

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/olympics/index.htm

The Creekside base is home to the Olympic and Paralympic Alpine Events. As such, this area will be the most affected by Games preparation and execution.

The Creekside Gondola will be closed to the public from February 1 to March 1 and will provide priority loading to Paralympic athletes and officials through to the end of the Paralympic Winter Games on March 21. Fortunately, the popular Peak to Creek run will remain open throughout the Games as a ski-out.

While the Creekside Gondola is closed to the public during the month of February, Creekside residents and guests will be able to access the lifts in Whistler Village or the Blackcomb Base by a dramatically enhanced BC Transit system.

From February 1, bus service hours increase ten-fold, and the number of buses will increase from 39 to 135, servicing Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton. Bus service will run 24 hours a day and will extend to include neighbourhoods that currently do not have bus service. The goal is to have bus stops within 400 metres of 90 per cent of the homes in Whistler. More information regarding bus service can be found

Winsor_Pilates
02-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think DT is getting closed for driving until friday, and then its pretty much done for 2 weeks

UBC is all ready out of wack, the bus route has been completely rerouted and will be until the end of march I think they said
I had soccer at UBC last night, and my teammate got towed from East Mall. I have another game tomorrow and have absolutely no idea where to park.

dj_patm
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Well we were planning on trying to buy some scalped tickets.

(What would I be a terrible person if I ate papa johns in Vancouver)

Temporary_User
02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm going to be down late on the 13th until the 21st. I don't have any event tickets right now, but trying to get some cheap (read: face value, under $100).

Perhaps a CP meet somewhere, sometime...

d_phaneuf
02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I had soccer at UBC last night, and my teammate got towed from East Mall. I have another game tomorrow and have absolutely no idea where to park.

I'm shocked the field is even open, its starting to look like a prison with all of the fencing around it

I usually park at rose garden and it is still open, little far from the field though

dubc80
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
If anyone is interested, my friend has extra tickets to the following mens ice hockey games.

Feb 20th Slovakia vs Latvia 16:30
Feb 20th Belarus vs Germany 21:00
Looking only for face value. $88/per ticket

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll see what he has left.

FiftyBelow
02-09-2010, 11:27 PM

You could try parking along NW Marine Drive either by Totem Residence or Place Vanier. If you're going during the evening there's usually no cars parked since classes are over. Plus its free and you have until around 11:00 pm I think.

flylock shox
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM

Careful with that. When you resell your tickets, Vanoc doesn't recall the hardcopies. So a person could sell you hardcopy tickets, then sell the rights to the tickets to someone else online. You could show up at the door only to find the barcodes on your tickets have been invalidated.

This is one of Vanoc's rather ingenious methods of market control: creating a risk for buyers seeking to acquire tickets without paying Vanoc fees.

And in Vancouver, Uncle Fatih's pizza is where it's at.

Save Us Sutter
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Careful with that. When you resell your tickets, Vanoc doesn't recall the hardcopies. So a person could sell you hardcopy tickets, then sell the rights to the tickets to someone else online. You could show up at the door only to find the barcodes on your tickets have been invalidated.

This is one of Vanoc's rather ingenious methods of market control: creating a risk for buyers seeking to acquire tickets without paying Vanoc fees.

And in Vancouver, Uncle Fatih's pizza is where it's at.

Speaking of this, is there any way to check your bar codes? I bought some curling tickets on ebay for a pretty good price knowing full well the risk involved. I'm not a huge curling fan and have other event tickets anyway, but thought I'd give it a shot. Just wondering if I can check the codes before I get to the door?

Fire
02-10-2010, 12:15 PM
If anyone is interested, my friend has extra tickets to the following mens ice hockey games.

Feb 20th Slovakia vs Latvia 16:30
Feb 20th Belarus vs Germany 21:00
Looking only for face value. $88/per ticket

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll see what he has left.

$88 for those games... yikes!

chemgear
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

I've been a lurker on the forums and this thread was kinda interesting to me - I went on sabbatical and went to Beijing for the Summer Olympics.

I imagine scalping tickets will be easier in Vancouver than in 2008. If you were caught in Beijing (and I did see some "take downs") you were either deported or sent to "re-education through labor" camps.

:eek:

blankall
02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
$88 for those games... yikes!

It's still world class hockey. If I didn't already have tickets, I'd be all over that.

St Loomis
02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
wow I was just looking at those free stuff sites that were linked earlier in the thread...someone mentioned a ziptrek.

Anyways, its a 170m zipline over robson street that is FREE...that is gonna be rad

http://www.ziptrek.com/vancouver-canada

blankall
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
wow I was just looking at those free stuff sites that were linked earlier in the thread...someone mentioned a ziptrek.

Anyways, its a 170m zipline over robson street that is FREE...that is gonna be rad

http://www.ziptrek.com/vancouver-canada

Is this free? Doesn't say anything about prices on the link.

Kipper is King
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm going! Canada vs. USA!:w00t:

Can't wait, just bought my jersey today!

dj_patm
02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Outside of hockey, Speed skating would be the main even I want to see. That and ski jumping...

Winsor_Pilates
02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Is this free? Doesn't say anything about prices on the link.
yes, it's free. I suspect you will have to line up for a while though.

FurnaceFace
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

When you sell through the official site, they tell you if your original tickets are scanned, you lose out on your cash and I suspect get a visit from some Gravel Road Cowboys.

flames_fan_down_under
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Two days away! So excited.

I have about 15 friends coming in from all over Canada, along with having to work 6/7 days of the week pretty much means I am going to get no sleep.

I drove by the Live City Yaletown venue last night, I had no idea how massive that venue actually was, it's HUGE.

A friend of mine attended the opening ceremony rehearsal the other day, she said it was awesome.

I'm gonna try and snag some tickets for speed skating and curling.

The facebook even 'FREE Olympic Shows' has a pretty comprehensive list of all the free concerts going on all over the lower mainland.

FiftyBelow
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Two days away! So excited.

I have about 15 friends coming in from all over Canada, along with having to work 6/7 days of the week pretty much means I am going to get no sleep.

I drove by the Live City Yaletown venue last night, I had no idea how massive that venue actually was, it's HUGE.

A friend of mine attended the opening ceremony rehearsal the other day, she said it was awesome.

I'm gonna try and snag some tickets for speed skating and curling.

The facebook even 'FREE Olympic Shows' has a pretty comprehensive list of all the free concerts going on all over the lower mainland.

do you mind posting a link? I did a search but it never came up. Thanks.

flames_fan_down_under
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
do you mind posting a link? I did a search but it never came up. Thanks.

Not at all!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=299843824296&ref=ts

Super Nintendo Chalmers
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
It's still world class hockey. If I didn't already have tickets, I'd be all over that.
It depends. A lot of the "lesser" hockey powers have to loosen the rules in order to field a halfway decent team. Germany, for instance, has 4 Canadians on their team. I would imagine that those players only need one parent that is German-born in order to eligible for the team.

FlamingInfinity
02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
The girlfriend and I are going to try and get out early on Saturday and get in line for the ZipTrek line. We're thinking about getting on the SkyTrain at 8:00 or so, and go from there. I expect Saturday to be completely and utterly ing nuts.

Funny thing I noticed the other day while at work... So all of the HBC clothes made for the Olympics are named after some Olympic competitor (Foote, MacEwan etc.) Anyways, there's Canada branded baby onesies that are made for the Olympics, and the name they're branded... Crosby.

Orv
02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
^ That isn't the olympic curling team. That team is PEI and they didn't win the Scotties tournament either. The oympic team is from Calgary and is skipped by Shannon Kleibrink.

You mean Cheryl Bernard. http://www.ctvolympics.ca/curling/news/newsid=22378.html?cid=rsstsn

Hope everyone has a great time at the Olympics. I'll be trying to catch some of the coverage while in Mexico.

dj_patm
02-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Well looks like our plans maybe resurrected. A couple nights for 200 in langley shouldn't be that bad... hopefully.

Anyone who lives in BC wanna help me out? Is it too far to cab it from the furthest sky train spot?

Shin Pad
02-11-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm not even going to watch the Olympics on TV, let alone go out to the "wet" coast to see them.

totti_07
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm goin to QF #2 for Ice Hockey (Canada's QF when they qualify)....cant wait

blankall
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
It depends. A lot of the "lesser" hockey powers have to loosen the rules in order to field a halfway decent team. Germany, for instance, has 4 Canadians on their team. I would imagine that those players only need one parent that is German-born in order to eligible for the team.

Or hold German citizenship....Someone with dual citizenship is just as much Canadian as German technically.

There are plenty of non-Canadian born atheletes on our own teams.

Kipper is King
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm goin to QF #2 for Ice Hockey (Canada's QF when they qualify)....cant wait

Hate to burst your bubble (I'm not too familiar with the Olympic format, so I could be wrong), but Canada could earn a bye and go straight to the semi-finals, no?

dj_patm
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Hate to burst your bubble (I'm not too familiar with the Olympic format, so I could be wrong), but Canada could earn a bye and go straight to the semi-finals, no?

No. How I understood it is that the top seed automatically qualifies for the quarters while the rest play-off for the final spots.

Canada has to win 6 games.

RR 1 - RR 2 - RR 3 - Quarter - Semi - Final

Or if they don't come in first (ahem... '06)

RR 1 - RR 2 - RR 3 - Playoff - Quarter - Semi - Final

valo403
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
No. How I understood it is that the top seed automatically qualifies for the quarters while the rest play-off for the final spots.

Canada has to win 6 games.

RR 1 - RR 2 - RR 3 - Quarter - Semi - Final

Or if they don't come in first (ahem... '06)

RR 1 - RR 2 - RR 3 - Playoff - Quarter - Semi - Final

This is correct, but you don't need to win your group to get the bye to the quarters. At the end of the RR the teams will be seeded from 1-12 based on points earned (and assorted tie breakers), the teams in places 1-4 go directly to the QF, teams 5-12 go to the playoff (5 v. 12, 6 v. 11 etc.).

So at least one second place team is getting a bye (I don't have time to work this out, but I think with the point system a team could conceivably win their group and still finish 5th).

Yep, it's possible to win your group with 6 points and also possible to finish second with 7. If one group winner only has 6 points and the runners up in the other two groups have 7 points the group winner would go to the playoff round. I don't believe there's anything that says group winners take priroity over points earned.

FiftyBelow
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow, just got back from the torch relay at UBC. Its amazing how something as simple as a torch can stir up so much emotion. The packed streets with everyone decked out in the colors of their home country, people chanting.. it only lasted a few minutes but it was such a great rush.

dj_patm
02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Is it only the Summer games where the torch goes around the globe?

SteveToms
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Well looks like our plans maybe resurrected. A couple nights for 200 in langley shouldn't be that bad... hopefully.

Anyone who lives in BC wanna help me out? Is it too far to cab it from the furthest sky train spot?

You should ask where the nearest Papa John's is.

dj_patm
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
You should ask where the nearest Papa John's is.

You should think of a new joke.

Peanut
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not even going to watch the Olympics on TV, let alone go out to the "wet" coast to see them.

Okay?? What do you have against the Olympics, exactly?

I'm personally pretty excited for watching as much Olympics as possible on TV.

d_phaneuf
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, just got back from the torch relay at UBC. Its amazing how something as simple as a torch can stir up so much emotion. The packed streets with everyone decked out in the colors of their home country, people chanting.. it only lasted a few minutes but it was such a great rush.

didn't see it at UBC but it ran by my house at like 5:00 and the street was packed

really cool to see all the people cheering and chanting

the coke vans in front of it blasting lady gaga kind of take away from the experience though

SteveToms
02-11-2010, 10:42 PM
You should think of a new joke.

You should leave CP.

ResAlien
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
You should leave CP.
You should quit being such a dick. People are entitled to their opinion, no?

SteveToms
02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
You should quit being such a dick. People are entitled to their opinion, no?

So I'm a dick, I am comfortable with that.

ResAlien
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
nm OT

SebC
02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
2 questions:

1) If I have GA tickets for Cypress Mountain events (which I do) do I want to be on the first bus? How early should I be?

2) Red Iginla flames jersey to the hockey gold game? C of Red, White Out, or some kind of swirl?

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 12:19 AM
2 questions:

1) If I have GA tickets for Cypress Mountain events (which I do) do I want to be on the first bus? How early should I be?

Just make sure you bring an umbrella.
The weather is going to unleash absolute havoc on these games. Rain all week... That is worst case scenario.

Should've held all outdoor events at Whistler. Bad foresight.

valo403
02-12-2010, 08:22 AM
The weather is going to unleash absolute havoc on these games. Rain all week... That is worst case scenario.

Should've held all outdoor events at Whistler. Bad foresight.

And dealt with adding a ton more people to an already strained transport system how exactly?

Ironhorse
02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
nm. wrong thread.

Ironhorse
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
nm. wrong thread.

SebC
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

The weather is going to unleash absolute havoc on these games. Rain all week... That is worst case scenario.Oh, with how much I make fun of Vancouver's climate, I'm bringing an umbrella. Not sure how much it'll help though.

rockstar
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I'll venture downtown and investigate the clusterfk down there today...
maybe there'll be some riots. I sure hope so. I'll bring the camera.

Aside from that, and the Wilco concert tomorrow night, I don't think I will be taking in much of the festivities.

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
And dealt with adding a ton more people to an already strained transport system how exactly?

Money...?
Well now we have moguls taking place on slush. Super.

It was a fundamental mistake to hold any events at cyprus when there's an El Nino winter. Thats the olympic equivalent of the Jokenin trade.

kermitology
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm going to hockey games on Friday, Saturday, Sunday on the 19th - 21st. Two Latvia games (go Latvia) and the Canada - USA game.

valo403
02-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Money...?
Well now we have moguls taking place on slush. Super.

It was a fundamental mistake to hold any events at cyprus when there's an El Nino winter. Thats the olympic equivalent of the Jokenin trade.

Money? Huh? How exactly would money help? The sea to sky was already massively upgraded, doing enough to accomodate a whole bunch more transportation would have cost another few hundred million at an absolute minimum. You can't just throw hundreds of millions of dollars at things on the premise that weather might not work out.

I honestly question your ability to think above a 3rd grade level.

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 03:07 PM
You think having the events at cyprus was a good idea during an El Ninio winter in a climate that 90% of the time is rain.

I'm the dumb one. Okay.
It's going to be awesome watching every event taking place their be postponed. I'm stoked.

valo403
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
You think having the events at cyprus was a good idea during an El Ninio winter in a climate that 90% of the time is rain.

I'm the dumb one. Okay.
It's going to be awesome watching every event taking place their be postponed. I'm stoked.

You think building a magical transportation device to whistler because the weather MIGHT be bad in 2 years time is a good idea.

Yes, you are the dumb one.

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
You think building a magical transportation device to whistler because the weather MIGHT be bad in 2 years time is a good idea.

Yes, you are the dumb one.

What transportation device?
The highway can handle the extra few 100 athletes and spectators.

Instead we now have a week of rain in the forecast. AWESOME.

jar_e
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm the dumb one. Okay.

To be fair, it was the warmest winter ever on record in Vancouver. Skiing cypress every other year has been awesome.

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
But rain is always a factor in Vancouver. No one can say they're surprised by it.

valo403
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
What transportation device?
The highway can handle the extra few 100 athletes and spectators.

Instead we now have a week of rain in the forecast. AWESOME.

An extra few hundred? Are you seriously that dense?

jar_e
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
But rain is always a factor in Vancouver. No one can say they're surprised by it.

When its the warmest winter on record...yes they can be surprised by it.

dj_patm
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
An extra few hundred? Are you seriously that dense?

Its freestyle skiing and aerials.
The highway can handle that.

valo403
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Its freestyle skiing and aerials.
The highway can handle that.

And you know this from your own personal research I assume.

I go back and forth on whether or not you deserve some of the abuse you get around here, things like this make me think it's justified.

flylock shox
02-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Just got back from Whistler. Went to the first event of the games - ski jump qualification round - and watched the opening ceremonies in Whistler before heading back tonight.

As far as the opening ceremonies were concerned, I had my doubts Vancouver could pull it off, but my hat's off: that was a great show. Particularly so in light of the tragedy earlier today, which really could have dampened the entire event (as if it wasn't already damp enough in the literal sense).

The whole process this morning was very smooth, but it's key to ask for information from volunteers and those in the know. Our event started at 10AM, but the buses (from Whistler Village to Whistler Olympic Park) left from 6AM to 7:30AM. If we hadn't asked around beforehand, we would have missed them. Other than that, travel was easy and efficient, security was a total breeze (it's airport style, but there were lots of screening points and we were through with no line up).

The only issue was a predictable delay leaving the event. They can stagger the entries to streamline the process, but can't change the reality that everyone gets out at the same time, so it took about an hour to board everyone back to Whistler. Vancouver bound exits had no delays.

Oh, and bring waterproof boots with you if you're going, it's springtime in the mountains and pretty wet, and you have to walk a good ways from the bus drop off point - a particular concern if you are with someone with mobility issues.

All in all though, that was a great day. Very memorable. I'm looking forward to the rest of the games.

dubc80
02-13-2010, 12:28 AM
I was on my way to pick up my uniform and accreditation and coincidentally watched the torch relay again today. It was much busier than when it rolled through Calgary a few weeks ago.

I was surprised how emotional I got this time. Seeing people of all colors and ages cheering, chanting, and wearing the maple leaf made me very proud. It was a great sight.

JRunn14
02-13-2010, 01:51 AM

I'm the dumb one. Okay.

a) It's Cypress...and it will be fine. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hudQ_8VryHNYGxrbBCnM-E84J4fgD9DQUEI80
b)The organization of something this size is something that took years...you can't just change it because the weather isn't ideal.
c)Rain is not always a factor in the Mountains...I lived in the Vancouver area for 30 years and have snowboarded Cypress countless times and not once...had it rain.
d)it's supposed to stop raining on Sunday and be beautiful for almost the entire Olympic games.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/Jbizzle14/df.jpg

dj_patm
02-13-2010, 01:57 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/Jbizzle14/df.jpg

That its not the forecast I saw yesterday. If thats how it goes then awesome. The 9 degrees part will probably screw things up though...

I-Hate-Hulse
02-14-2010, 11:48 PM
So for people there and on the ground in Vancouver, any hints on what non sports events have been really awesome and worth the time to go? I've been going through the many great sites posted in this thread so far and am not sure how good that actually are.

The "pavillions" that provinces have set up seem cool. Anything from the cultural olympiad worth going to?

Any delays in getting into events for Security, etc?

FlamingInfinity
02-15-2010, 10:17 AM
The girlfriend and I went on the Ziptrek over Robson on the weekend. Arrived at 9 on Saturday and waited 4 hours to get on and done it all. Worth the wait? Yes, because its free and its not going to be over Robson again. Get there at 9 and you'll be done by 1. Enough time to move around and see other things. Wanting to know if anyone's hit up Sochi House, Holland House or Germany's House...?

GoFlamesGo
02-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I found some tickets to Men's Hockey QF #4. Do you guys know who will play in that game if they qualify? Is it RUS? I know if USA qualifies they will play in QF#1 and CAN to play in QF#2.

Cactus Jack
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Is snowboarding open to the public this week anywhere? Whistler/Blackcombe, Grouse, Seymour or Cypress?